• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo going to do a Zelda collection next year? Considering how much they charge For the Pikmin 3 port.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Nah, they'll sell WW HD and TP HD separately, like they have all Wii U ports.

And if they did OOT and MM it would probably be the N64 games as opposed to the 3DS versions, 20fps and all.

I still think there is a chance they remake Oracles a la LA, but it would be separate of course.

Just saying, everyone, keep your expectations very low.

I'm not so sure. They're relatively easy ports with no upscaling required so minimal cost and would probably work out cheaper than porting the others.

I don't think they'll go the N64 route because I kinda expect them to add N64 to online next year. That's why I think 3D Allstars has a time window on it - to get sales before some of the games get put on online.

The only exception is OoT which I think needs to be in there as it's the Mario 64 of the Zelda series in terms of impact and regard. That will either be emulated or they may just offer and updated version of the 3DS version. All in, the three would be low cost and would generate enough interest and hype to lay the groundwork to sell the rumored HD version of Skyward Sword.

Of course they could blow our minds and unveil a HD remake of ALttP instead, thereby decimating low expectations and wallets everywhere. I don't expect it, but I dare to dream.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not so sure. They're relatively easy ports with no upscaling required so minimal cost and would probably work out cheaper than porting the others.

I don't think they'll go the N64 route because I kinda expect them to add N64 to online next year. That's why I think 3D Allstars has a time window on it - to get sales before some of the games get put on online.

The only exception is OoT which I think needs to be in there as it's the Mario 64 of the Zelda series in terms of impact and regard. That will either be emulated or they may just offer and updated version of the 3DS version. All in, the three would be low cost and would generate enough interest and hype to lay the groundwork to sell the rumored HD version of Skyward Sword.

Of course they could blow our minds and unveil a HD remake of ALttP instead, thereby decimating low expectations and wallets everywhere. I don't expect it, but I dare to dream.

easy ports like... Pikmin 3, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, NSMB Wii U, Captain Toad, DKC TF, and Hyrule Warriors you mean? All of which got separate versions.

The more I think about it, the more I actually think there won't be a collection. Maybe they'll port Skyward Sword and call it a day.

Just saying, keep your expectations low.

Last edited:
Oracle games remake by Grezzo. (Less plastic looking then LA. Both games combined into one. )

Talked about it in the BASED Nintendo thread, can't believe I willed it into existence (yes I'm already confirming your rumor). I'd nut so hard if this was actually a thing, these games were the tits.

Ok so I've been suffering from really bad depression and anxiety as of late.

For some reason, just looking at short vids of Zelda games slightly alleviates it.

I dunno what it is but it has positivity and fun written all over it.

I need a game where there's not a lot of dialogue and text and where I can freely explore, so BotW looks like exactly what I need.

But how is Link's Awakening for Switch?

I want to say, I'm way behind on Zelda games. I haven't played most of them despite the fact that every Zelda game I have played has always been great.

If there is a compilation, I hope Link to the Past is one of them. A remake of the Oracle games and Minnish Cap but also a Switch port of Ocarina and Majora's Mask would be awesome but seriously fuck that creepy moon up one of its craters.

Twilight Princess looks to be best but that already has an amazing looking HD version on Wii U.

Wow I really wanna play Breath of the Wild now so bad.

By the way, what is with the hate on Skyward Sword? Was it that bad, mmkay?

Hey, hey, hey my guys but I almost forgot I own this. I'm a big fan of lore books and encyclopedias and atlases for games.

SLkOpac.jpg

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Of course. And less expensive. You can also replay games without having to buy them again each time. You just need to keep your consoles.
Look, it’s all fine and dandy to preach this on a video game forum full of old geezers. And I’m one who kept almost all the consoles ever bought during my life.

But the truth is, most people sell their old consoles, Wii’s online service has been shut down, and there’s no 4K screen where the Wii can output anything better than absolute shit. And let’s be real, getting a WiiU - the most cumbersome console ever made besides the Genesis tower - to play Zelda games that probably are still full price anyway, makes little sense.

I have been more than happy with the Mario 3D collection, and I’ll be happy if Nintendo did something like that for Zelda. Make of that what you will. I’ve wasted money on sillier things.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Yes. There will be some sort of collection. Skyward sword will be separate for whatever reason.

cireza

Banned
And let’s be real, getting a WiiU - the most cumbersome console ever made besides the Genesis tower - to play Zelda games that probably are still full price anyway, makes little sense.
You can't be more wrong. Wii U is a recent console, there is nothing cumbersome to it. It is small, silent, outputs HDMI, Gamepad has good ergonomics and there is a fantastic Pro Controller (great battery life). It can be found used below 100$ and most of Nintendo's games are 15$. For the price of two Wii U ports on Switch, you buy a Wii U console. For the price of three Wii U ports, you buy a Wii U console and all three games.

All Nintendo first party games are available on Virtual Console on Wii U (even DS), the console can play GC and Wii games natively. Gamepad is fantastic for everything 8/16 bits + GBA.

Of course, you can prefer buying again and again the same games at full price, but there is a solution out there that plays all Zelda games released until now. Worth mentioning in a thread that talks about Zelda and price point of the Switch ports.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You can't be more wrong. Wii U is a recent console, there is nothing cumbersome to it. It is small, silent, outputs HDMI, Gamepad has good ergonomics and there is a fantastic Pro Controller (great battery life). It can be found used below 100$ and most of Nintendo's games are 15$. For the price of two Wii U ports on Switch, you buy a Wii U console. For the price of three Wii U ports, you buy a Wii U console and all three games.
Twilight Princess HD is still 49.99€ on the European eShop, Wind Waker HD is just 50% off full price. GBA games look worse than NES games upscaled on modern TVs, and 480p games don’t fare much better out of a WiiU. And you still don’t get portable TP, WW, or SS on WiiU (no, 3 meters from the console isn’t portable).

The console has a humongous mandatory controller with terrible battery life and short range. I used to bring it to my friends’ house, mate. There wasn’t a time I didn’t wish I wasn’t the only one who bought a WiiU in my circle of friends. It is fucking cumbersome.

Last but not least. Nobody. wants. a WiiU. in 2020.
I mean, people didn’t want one 2012-2017, either.
I enjoyed the games and still do, but the hardware is just a collection of weird, impractical ideas.

cireza

Banned
GBA games look worse than NES games upscaled on modern TVs
GBA games on Gamepad integer scale x3 and look absolutely stunning. You can buy a better battery for the Gamepad if you wish.
New games are still expensive on eShop (what a surprise), used games for Wii U are most of the time below 20$, including first party.
480p games at least look better than on Wii as the console did not support HDMI, and you can play them on the Gamepad (which is 480p as well, so a perfect fit). GC games as well, and these can be controlled directly from the Gamepad.

The only valid point is the fact that the Wii U is not a portable system, even if it can still offer the exact same experience, but with good ergonomics, inside your home.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

If they do it, it will be barebones and simple. 1st Zelda game of each 3D console. So I would guess: OoT 64 version, Windwaker GCN version and Skyward Sword as TP is not really a Wii game.

Should be OOT 3DS, Windwaker Wii U remaster, and yes, even Skyward Sword port.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ok so I've been suffering from really bad depression and anxiety as of late.

But how is Link's Awakening for Switch?

It's great, though LA genuinely might not do your depression much good. It's not as bad as Majora's Mask, but if you're a person that takes away a lot away from a game's story, the later parts might not make you feel great.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It's great, though LA genuinely might not do your depression much good. It's not as bad as Majora's Mask, but if you're a person that takes away a lot away from a game's story, the later parts might not make you feel great.
I've never played Link's Awakening either, is the story really as great as people praise it to be? Big time TLoZ fan but I've only heard people talk about LA, and have only played for 10 minutes or so. It was always spoken of very highly whenever I would frequent a forum like 10 years ago

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Nintendo fans : buying the exact same games every generation, and asking for more of it.

All these games are playable on Wii U.
I understand your position but respectfully disagree. Wii U is a console that struggled to sell <15MM units, is fully tethered to the TV, and can no longer be purchased. Switch on the other hand, has sold ~70MM units, can be played in both handheld and docked mode, and is readably available to purchase. For every person out there that got to play one of these titles on Wii U there are 3-4 that didn't-that number will only be higher the further we get into Switch's lifespan.

The whole, "those games are already available on Wii U" argument always falls apart when you start to consider how big the market is. There are plenty of reason why someone might want to play those games on Switch. Switch has created a lot of brand new Nintendo fans discovering these games for the first time. Switch is also the first console with a HDMI port that can hook up to a modern display for a lot of older Nintendo fans. Some Nintendo diehards just don't want to have to keep all of their old systems connected. A game being available on Wii U does not negate the value of it being available Switch. The market is made up of a lot of individuals with their own consumption preferences.

Finally, the idea that these ports and remasters comes at the expense or instead of new titles is off base. These are typically done by smaller teams while a larger team works on a completely new game.

I can't say enough times that I don't want the 3DS versions. Bright, less ominous dungeons is just one of many tonal problems with OoT's visual revamp, and what was done to MM in gameplay was hideous.

They look lovely, relatively, but there's more to being a definitive version than just looking good.

Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on the other hand, yes, yes, yes. These and cleaned up N64 versions of Zelda would make a great package.

I'm hoping we get the 3Ds titles in a collection and the N64 titles included either as a bonus or via N64 Nintendo Switch Online. The 3DS titles are more enjoyable with the smoother frame-rates and QOL adjustments. The art in Ocarina of Time doesn't bother me that much; it is certainly brighter and I do see how some of the dark atmosphere is lost but overall it feels pretty faithful to the original. It isn't a Halo 1 Anniversary disaster where entire environments were changed. It would be really cool if the game did have a way to swap between graphics modes. Regardless, I think releasing both versions is the way to go.

Agree with you on MM gameplay-the boss fight and Zora mask changes were particularly disappointing. I imagine those would be relatively easy to adjust.

OOT/MM 3D Collection and WW/TP/SS HD Collection. Skyward Sword is a perfect candidate for the hybrid emulator solution used on Mario Galaxy, though a texture pack would really help that game shine. N64 NSO online app with the original OOT/MM or as a bonus in the OOT/MM 3D collection.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've never played Link's Awakening either, is the story really as great as people praise it to be? Big time TLoZ fan but I've only heard people talk about LA, and have only played for 10 minutes or so. It was always spoken of very highly whenever I would frequent a forum like 10 years ago

Ehhh, it's mostly in the background really. It's just that for a Gameboy game it was quite melancholic.

I wouldn't play LA for the story, I'd play it because it's one of the best Zelda games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Skyward Sword is a perfect candidate for the hybrid emulator solution used on Mario Galaxy, though a texture pack would really help that game shine.

Sunshine's textures are noticeably sharp and new in some places. It seems possible for this approach to include that.

Btw, I have to say, despite the playability improvements to OoT, I enjoyed the N64 original much more. I think that melancholy, epic, darker tone is such an important part of the game. It's definitely not a Halo 1 Anniversary level of misstep, and still a lovely version of OoT, but it slips by altering what didn't need to be altered, nonetheless.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Sunshine's textures are noticeably sharp and new in some places. It seems possible for this approach to include that.

Btw, I have to say, despite the playability improvements to OoT, I enjoyed the N64 original much more. I think that melancholy, epic, darker tone is such an important part of the game. It's definitely not a Halo 1 Anniversary level of misstep, and still a lovely version of OoT, but it slips by altering what didn't need to be altered, nonetheless.

Yeah, they can certainly swap out/update textures as needed on Skyward Sword. That is an easy change. Not all of the textures are low res.

RE: OOT-I do agree that a lot of atmosphere. The darker areas of the game suffer the most. I wonder how much, if anything, could be fixed with better lighting. That is my biggest complaint-the dark areas of the game seem like they are always lit up. Even the ground is still bright at night time in Hyrule Field. Overall the art is nice but you are 100% spot on about it being too bright, over saturated, etc. It loses that dark mysterious feeling that made the game so compelling back when I first played it.

I mostly want the 3DS versions ported OOT can get proper dual analog and so they aren't forever tethered to that console/touch controls. I have faith that Nintendo will do a N64 app like they have for SNES + NES. I'd be happy to replay either version but I do hope we get both with the original N64 Master Quest as well.

As much as I love Spirit Tracks I see no benefit to putting it on the Switch.
I couldnt give less of a crap if nintendo ported something like Minish cap or whatever, because thats easily emulatable, but PH and ST inherently require a touch screen to control well, so they play like garbage on an emu and its not as easy to just get everything i need if i wanted to play them again.

Hi good morning.

For some Zelda games I'm thinking could use a re-release or update could also be Link to the Past, which I think is one of the best Zelda games.

The Minnish Cap and Oracle games too maybe.

Spirit Tracks always looked really cool to me and I love trains. I think a remake in 3D or in the same style as Link's Awakening would be amazing.

Humdinger

I hope so. I would definitely buy it. I'm new to the Switch and I'm really enjoying Zelda BotW. Naturally, I've heard a lot of good things about previous Zelda games, but I've never played any of them. So whichever ones they decide to include, I'll be happy to check out. Just from what I know, I'd prefer Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time to be in there, but I'm open to whatever they decide.

I'm grateful they're offering it. It's a great way for people who are new to Nintendo (like me) to experience their older, legendary Zelda titles without having to buy a different system.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
$60 release of Ocarina of Time + Majora’s Mask 3DS ports at 1080p in Summer 2021.

$60 release of Skyward Sword at 1080p in Winter 2021.

Brearh of the Wild 2 - March 2022 (will be the cross gen launch game for Switch 2.0).

Top Bottom