• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my brother's Yahoo mail account lost?

nkarafo

So i formatted my brother's PC to install a fresh copy of Windows. All was good until i decided to log into his Steam account so he can play some games.

Steam asked for a verification code (because it detected the new setup as a new device) that was sent to his yahoo email. But when i tried to log into that e-mail, instead of a password, Yahoo asks me for a verification code they want to send on a phone. Problem is, the phone number shown (the last two digits) is wrong! I don't know of any phone that has those last 2 digits.

And now Yahoo will not let me in if i don't give them the verification from that mysterious phone number. And Steam will not let me in either if i don't give them the verification code they send in Yahoo mail, since, duh, i can't get into that mail.
There are no options to recovery that worked for me. What the hell am i doing now? How is it so easy to lose access to everything (including other accounts that are tied to the email) because of such a mistake? Steam won't let me log in, Yahoo won't let me log in and who knows what other thing is tied to that email...

I'll try to get back the STEAM account by contacting support but there is no such option for Yahoo other than a highly expensive international call method...

Last edited:

*Nightwing

If it has the option to toggle “my account may be compromised” when trying to reset password select that as well as the email account may be suspended if no one has logged into it for a few months. Should also have an option to email verification code to alternate email set up when signing up for yahoo email acct instead of texted to phone.

If you don’t have access to that email either, you are out of luck and need to call most likely as these are security features made to make it difficult to gain access to the account in question and they are working as intended keeping the accounts safe from unauthorized access.

Rival

Gold Member
I had an issue like that with them maybe 5 years ago and had to call and talk to someone to get it unlocked.

Drew1440

Do you know if there's a backup email address for their Yahoo account, typically when you add a mobile number for two step verification, backup codes are generated and sent to that recovery email. Might be worth a shot

Top Bottom