• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft's Xbox the new RPG powerhouse?

Mattyp

Gold Member
So that's a 'no' then 😁.

^ 4, can only imagine the number now.

Horizon 3 ^ even doing over 10 million.

GTSport is a great racing exclusive, but Horizon caters to the casuals and is the racing king of this decade in sales.

It’s curious how they are keeping Bathesda as a seperate entity to Xbox game studios. Or am I misinformed?
Well, technically Bethesda is bought by Microsoft as a whole and not independently by Xbox Division. MS could "gift" Bethesda to Xbox Division if they wanted to, but so far keeping it separate makes sense.

Now that they officially stated that Starfield would be Xbox Exclusive, I don't think they would announce any more of the same ilk until the sales numbers come in for the game. Starfield's performance will decide the future direction of Bethesda as a studio.

SpokkX

Rpg is my favorite genre and I only like western rpg barring a few exceptions (Vagrant Story, FF12 and Souls games)

i cant stand most FF and jrpg anymore so yeah Xbox will be an rpg powerhouse for me

Hezekiah

Banned

^ 4, can only imagine the number now.

Horizon 3 ^ even doing over 10 million.

GTSport is a great racing exclusive, but Horizon caters to the casuals and is the racing king of this decade in sales.
Not saying it's a bad game but I was talking about sales. That article even states:

Keep in mind that this is a player count and shouldn't be equated to sales figures.

So pretty meaningless in this context.

And as you say that isn't even the most recent release.

Elysion

Banned
Yeah, as far as wrpgs are concerned, MS looks like they’re going to have a pretty strong offering.

I hope Sony brings some high-caliber wrpgs to PS5 too. Their rpg output has always been very weak, so I hope they take some steps to rectify this in the future. Maybe their Santa Monica studio can do an rpg.

LMJ

One could easily argue that they will be the next WRPG console...

However I think Sony and Nintendo will be seen as the more traditional RPG consoles still..

Plus remember that Sony has temp exclusivity on these two bad boys

Video Games Smile GIF by Square Enix

Final Fantasy Game GIF by Square Enix

(FF7 and 16 btw)
That puts a pretty big feather in their cap lol

kuncol02

Banned
However I think Sony and Nintendo will be seen as the more traditional RPG consoles still..
More traditional than what? Do you realize that jrpg games were inspired by already existing RPG games like Wizardy and Ultima? WRPG games are much older than jRPG games, even first person RPG games are older.
Do you realize that original Final Fantasy was closer to "traditional" RPG games like Ultima than to modern jRPG games?

This is all XBOX fans do is wait...and wait...
I see where you're coming from but I just purchased a Series X and played through Hivebusters (Gears 5 DLC) and am currently enjoying The Medium. I'm sure E3 will throw us some surprises for this year.

LMJ

More traditional than what? Do you realize that jrpg games were inspired by already existing RPG games like Wizardy and Ultima? WRPG games are much older than jRPG games, even first person RPG games are older.
Do you realize that original Final Fantasy was closer to "traditional" RPG games like Ultima than to modern jRPG games?

And those too were inspired by the likes of tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons, which itself took inspiration from fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings etc...

yes I am aware...you are correct

but I am referring to the current interpretation of RPG which would fit more along the lines of Dragonquest, the Tales series and yes Final Fantasy...

I love me KOTOR or an Elderscrolls etc, but most wouldn't put them in the same category, even if at times they have MORE customization and statistical variables then those previously mentioned :p

Kind of like how COD is now considered a "traditional" FPS, despite a game like 06 Doom being MUCH more accurate...

We old gamers are becoming dinosaurs

Hawke502

And those too were inspired by the likes of tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons, which itself took inspiration from fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings etc...

yes I am aware...you are correct

but I am referring to the current interpretation of RPG which would fit more along the lines of Dragonquest, the Tales series and yes Final Fantasy...

I love me KOTOR or an Elderscrolls etc, but most wouldn't put them in the same category, even if at times they have MORE customization and statistical variables then those previously mentioned :p

Kind of like how COD is now considered a "traditional" FPS, despite a game like 06 Doom being MUCH more accurate...

We old gamers are becoming dinosaurs
Huh? The current interpretation of RPG would fit more along the lines of Dragonquest? Thats new to me

Buggy Loop

The sheer amount of WRPG talent Microsoft amassed with InXile, Bethesda & Obsidian entertainment is basically the very foundation of the WRPG genre, missing Bioware (RIP).

They're definitely OP for WRPGs, and to me, it's the best kind.

And now they don't have to scrape money together through kickstarters to realize their vision. Bring it on.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
2020 was a bad year for RPGs. Most known developers didn't even release an RPG. Most of the crowdfunded games still aren't released and lets not get started on Early Access.

If Sony releases Legend of Dragoon I'm good. It would really help the PS5 counter XSX in terms of RPG dominance.

As for WRPGs on PlayStation, I've been saying for some time that I'd love to see Sony give a big mean high fantasy WRPG a go.
It's the only thing missing form their first-party stable for me.

Then again, there's no harm in both platforms being known for having strengths in different genres.
Perhaps it'll be: PS5 = JRPG Powerhouse ; Xbox = WRPG Powerhouse.

Shubh_C63

RPG has the best way to introduce Cosmetics Store and lengthen the time you spend gaming in the least cost. Good strategy by Xbox either way.

I love WRPG. Thank god for PC.

The sheer amount of WRPG talent Microsoft amassed with InXile, Bethesda & Obsidian entertainment is basically the very foundation of the WRPG genre, missing Bioware (RIP).

They're definitely OP for WRPGs, and to me, it's the best kind.

And now they don't have to scrape money together through kickstarters to realize their vision. Bring it on.
And even Bioware will have their games on Gamepass within a year of release or so (ME: Andromeda came to EA Play seven months after release). WRPG fans are feasting on Xbox.

Pull n Pray

Banned
It’s curious how they are keeping Bathesda as a seperate entity to Xbox game studios. Or am I misinformed?
Zenimax is the first publisher that Microsoft has purchased. All the other acquisitions were individual studios. Matt Booty already has his hands full managing the 15 Xbox Games studios, and they didn't want to add to it. So let Pete Hines (or whoever has that responsibility) continue to manage all the Zenimax studios. Their generally philosophy is to make as few changes as possible to the studios they acquire. I expect they will treat their next publisher purchase similarly.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Obviously we have to wait for the games to release and can't take it for granted that they will be great. But it seems unlikely that these studios, what have a track record of creating great games, will suddenly forget. Only one I'm a little skeptical about is Fable, since it will be Playground's first RPG. A couple you didn't mention are Outer Worlds 2 and the next Fallout. I'm not sure if they are currently in development, but surely we will see a release this generation.

It reminds me of their western RPG dominance from the original Xbox. It had Morrowind, Fable, Kotor 1+2, Jade Empire, and several lesser known ones that were pretty good.

Daymos

PC + Switch gives you pretty much all the RPGs and allows you to have gaming anywhere + the best graphics. Playstation and Xbox aren't necessary.

Top Bottom