• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft's Xbox the new RPG powerhouse?

Bryank75

Banned
You game on PC I guess? So they already have your money. PS owners who have nothing like these games are more likely to transition to xbox as its a far cheaper option than a PC, now that's what Microsoft bought Zenimax for.
Naa I only game on PlayStation.

I am considering getting a new rig but mostly just for art and stuff...

Chukhopops

Eh... Yeah. I thought the sarcasm was obvious, but okay.

I was mocking people who go "let's see some actual games" every two seconds like these devs haven't proved themselves time and time again.
Oh sorry, didn’t get it. After you spend a couple months here you see such crazy takes that nothing seems sarcastic anymore, especially when it comes to Nintendo or MS.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Series is definitely going to be awesome for RPG's.

- Avowed (Obsidian)
- The Outer Worlds 2 (Obsidian, pretty much guaranteed)
- AA RPG (Obsidian, small team led by Josh Sawyer)
- Steampunk AAA RPG (InXile)
- Fable (Playground Games)
- Starfield (Bethesda Game Studios)
- The Elder Scrolls VI (Bethesda Game Studios)
- New AAA RPG (ZeniMax Online Studios)

Looking forward to all of them except for the ZeniMax Online Studios game since I don't play online.

The Office Food GIF

Hezekiah

Banned
There is a massive potential there, not only for RPG but also for first person shooters;

halo
doom
quake
prey
dishonored
deathloop
wolfenstein

racing with forza and forza horizon was already owned by ms on consoles
Seems like Prey, Dishonored and Deathloop are RPGs and FPSs at the same time.

Gran Turismo is Forza's daddy 😄. And while they're both good games, GT is a much bigger franchise.

Edokataki

Banned
Just look at the RPG's slated for the Series X / S :

Forza guys - Fable.

Obsidian - Avowed.

Bethesda - Starfield, next Elder Scrolls.

Insync - Wasteland 3 came out last year, so they're definitely cooking something else.

Arkane Studios - They have Deathloop coming out soon (well its a timed exclusive for ps5) but Prey 2, new Dishonored or a new IP must be in the works.

I still have a gaming PC, so I'm not worried about not being to play these, but I will be salty if the previous third party studios in that list don't port them to PlayStation 5, just because I'm curious what dualsense implementation they would add, if any.

Perhaps the new Switch Pro could compete, but who knows?
Now that you play this games 2 years ahead of everyone else can you please tell me what is the price of Capcom shares at your timeline because I want to buy some in couple days and don't know if it is good decision or not.

Hezekiah

Banned
Naa Sony games. Gears would have included cover system. Cover and shoot.

I described the Naughty dog blueprint. Thats all they can do and thats all they will do.
Talking about cover systems - I take it you've never played Uncharted 🤦.
Was bigger, with horizon its more popular now.
This is supposed to be an RPG thread, but I mean the last GT game sold 8m+. GT7 will be huge. Forza Horizon 4 sales I'm guessing are still hidden because most people 'play it for free' via GamePass.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Honestly speaking currently Playstation has no dedicated studio for making RPGs for them. Nintendo has Monolith Soft and Xbox currently has Bethesda but Playstation has none and relies heavily on third party to make RPGs for them.

True, I hope they make some JRPG’s of there own. And a WRPG. But also work with 3rd party. FF16 exclusive is pretty huge, same with Persona.

But TBH if I had a choice between God of War/Ghost of Tsushima compared to whatever Monolith and Bethesda made I know what I would choose.

Plus another Miyazaki game is what I want the most

Kokoloko85

I’m not much fan of Bethesda but I personally gladly choose Monolith Soft, since I LOVE their games.

Im not a big fan of the Xenoblade chronicles, even though I love there older works especially Baiten and Xensaga.
Theres some things I love about Xenoblade and some things I dislike alot.

But Im a fan of there older games And really looking forward to the new Fantasy game supposedly there working on. Hopefully they change certain things and the voice acting lol

When it comes to Nintendo, they should utilise Hiroyuki Takahashi, as he’s one of the best JRPG guys instead of him making Mario Sports games anyone else can do.
Id love for them to make a new Golden Sun or a new JRPG made by Hiroyuki Takahashi. And work on those damn Earthbound/ Mother games

Also Fire Emblem 3 Houses was my Game of the year. Well Maybe After Sekiro but I love both

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
how can you know its powerhouse when the games has not release yet?

Zannrebel

Talking about cover systems - I take it you've never played Uncharted 🤦.

This is supposed to be an RPG thread, but I mean the last GT game sold 8m+. GT7 will be huge. Forza Horizon 4 sales I'm guessing are still hidden because most people 'play it for free' via GamePass.
Well horizon 3 sold 10 million and never was on gamepass (Before 1st party commitment) and going by NPD and Europe charts horizon 4 is out pacing it.

Mozzarella

PC is the best place to play most of those RPGs anyway. But yea if you are a Sony only gamer then this gen you will most likely lose on the WRPG genre, the only one that will come to Sony is Larian's game and thats coming to PC first. And Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is Forza's daddy 😄. And while they're both good games, GT is a much bigger franchise.

Ya know..many people think the Halo franchise has fallen from grace because the last two games have scored in the mid 80's on Metacritic.

Meanwhile, technically Sony's biggest IP in Gran Turismo (rightfully) scored in the mid 70s in its last outing.
Never saw any doom and gloom about that here though.

Forza has the crown.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It sure seems that way. It's one of the reasons why I bought a series X next to my ps5. That and the fact that I never owned an Xbox before, so gamepass is really good value for me with all the previous exclusives on it that I never got to play.

Godot25

Banned
BGS - Starfield, The Elder Scrolls VI and potentially Fallout
Obsidian - The Outer Worlds 2, Avowed and small RPG project from Josh Sawyer
inXile - rumored steampunk RPG on Unreal Engine 5 and another (presumably also RPG) project
ZeniMax Online - RPG or MMORPG
Playground Games - Fable
IO Interactive - "Dragon" game through Xbox Game Publishing

So yeah. If you want to play western WRPG, then Xbox or PC is probably way better option, because basically only big WRPG studios left are CD Projekt RED or whatever BioWare is cooking

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
No. PC is the new powerhouse...

Because if Xsx doesn't get it's own exclusives it is already obsolete and redundant. If Ms want the acquisition of Bethesda to pay off then Starfield must be an Xsx exclusive, not even available on Xsx (for max optimisation) but unfortunately that the little brother is always going to hold its big bro back.

Plus maybe wait until these games are actually released....

manzo

Best place to play WRPGs is the PC. Best place to play JRPGs are Switch and Playstation, unless the game also comes to PC.

I don't play WRPG's anymore though. That's why I only have a PS5 and a Switch.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Best place to play WRPGs is the PC. Best place to play JRPGs are Switch and Playstation, unless the game also comes to PC.

I don't play WRPG's anymore though. That's why I only have a PS5 and a Switch.
I'm super interested about Fable because it's by a new studio and from the guys who made Forza, so its something to look out for and see what they do.

But Obsidian, Arkane, Insync (and Bethesda) sign me up day one. That's not even counting ID software, Ninja Theory, Moon studios who are all super talented.

Starfield alone could be bigger than Skyrim, if done right. Remember, they have four studios working on it!

FOUR!

755728.jpg

Last edited:
I'm super interested about Fable because it's by a new studio and from the guys who made Forza, so its something to look out for and see what they do.

But Obsidian, Arkane, Insync (and Bethesda) sign me up day one. That's not even counting ID software, Ninja Theory, Moon studios who are all super talented.

Starfield alone could be bigger than Skyrim, if done right. Remember, they have four studios working on it!

FOUR!

755728.jpg
Funny enough, I have zero idea how many game studios are under Playstation.
For that matter, I have no idea how many studios are under Nintendo's control either.

And yet somehow, I have no issues believing that both these companies would produce great games. Phrhaps it is because we have recent history to fall back on. Game titles that made their mark.

If you ask me "how many game studios does a plaform holder need to have"? I wouldn't be able to tell you. Because there had never been a need to have that many studios to make a difference in the market. Because in the end it is the games that people remember.

I don't know anyone had ever cheered for studio quantities before. But you go you.

quest

Not Banned from OT
For that matter, I have no idea how many studios are under Nintendo's control either.

And yet somehow, I have no issues believing that both these companies would produce great games. Phrhaps it is because we have recent history to fall back on. Game titles that made their mark.

If you ask me "how many game studios does a plaform holder need to have"? I wouldn't be able to tell you. Because there had never been a need to have that many studios to make a difference in the market. Because in the end it is the games that people remember.

I don't know anyone had ever cheered for studio quantities before. But you go you.

Cheering to fix a long standing issue is bad lol. Microsoft removing the 2 outstanding racing game studios Microsoft had 3 1 team studios rare, The coalition and 343. On a 4-5 year cycle your looking at games every 2 years that is problem even if they are good. It was a long standing issue that has been partially addressed. They got the studios now time to grow them and let them create.

Yes it's the games that people remember, and who makes those games? Nobody that isn't a blind fanboy is claiming Xbox Game Studios is going to be amazing SOLELY based on the quantity of their studios. But in those 23 studios they have tons of critically renowned studios like BGS, Playground, Ninja Theory, and Obsidian just to name a few, and nobody that isn't a blind fanboy thinks those studios are going to magically start getting worse simply because they're Xbox exclusive now. Not to mention most, if not all, of their studios are expanding to be able to make bigger and better games than they've made before (and in some cases MORE games than they've made before). Yes some of their games might be 2-3 years away, but not all of them, and Xbox is going to have plenty of great games this generation, and it will be funny to see the narrative shift once "Xbox has no games" dies and the fanboys have to find another rallying cry

Hezekiah

Banned
Ya know..many people think the Halo franchise has fallen from grace because the last two games have scored in the mid 80's on Metacritic.

Meanwhile, technically Sony's biggest IP in Gran Turismo (rightfully) scored in the mid 70s in its last outing.
Never saw any doom and gloom about that here though.

Forza has the crown.
'Rightfully' lol.

The GT games sell a ton. Forza's numbers are hidden nowadays aren't they.

Nobody is talking about doom and gloom, that's all in your head. Just (rightfully) making the point that Gran Turismo continues to be a bigger franchise than Forza.

The GT games sell a ton. Forza's numbers are hidden nowadays aren't they.

No shit, every billion dollar franchise sells well (even Forza if you can believe it!).
But just for kicks..how much did GT Sport sell exactly? Let us know if you can find those official numbers because all anyone has ever seen are estimates.

Nobody is talking about doom and gloom, that's all in your head.

Ever been to a Halo thread?

Just (rightfully) making the point that Gran Turismo continues to be a bigger franchise than Forza.

Gran Turismo mustered up exactly 1 game this entire past generation compared to 6 Forza entries.
6 games that were all better reviewed, with the worst of them all still scoring higher than Gran Turismo Sport (hell, Forza has been outscoring GT since the 360/Ps3 days).

That aside, Forza didn't become a billion dollar franchise based on reviews. They sell units and release at a higher clip than GT can ever match at this point.
Forza doesn't just wear the crown, they TOOK it by force.

Loope

Yes it's the games that people remember, and who makes those games? Nobody that isn't a blind fanboy is claiming Xbox Game Studios is going to be amazing SOLELY based on the quantity of their studios. But in those 23 studios they have tons of critically renowned studios like BGS, Playground, Ninja Theory, and Obsidian just to name a few, and nobody that isn't a blind fanboy thinks those studios are going to magically start getting worse simply because they're Xbox exclusive now. Not to mention most, if not all, of their studios are expanding to be able to make bigger and better games than they've made before (and in some cases MORE games than they've made before). Yes some of their games might be 2-3 years away, but not all of them, and Xbox is going to have plenty of great games this generation, and it will be funny to see the narrative shift once "Xbox has no games" dies and the fanboys have to find another rallying cry
When i see RPG and see dumbshits dismissing Obsidian and Bethesda, it just makes you think what the fuck are they talking about.

Top Bottom