• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft's Xbox the new RPG powerhouse?

I disagree, a few of these wouldn't have been made without Microsoft backing and funding. Avowed definitely and Fable of course.
Fable was always on Xbox and PC, though. I don't see how having it stay there is evidence of some sort of RPG "explosion".

And while Obsidian probably wouldn't have made Avowed without funding by Microsoft, they would have made some sort of RPG regardless, and it would have ended up on both Xbox and PC, so their contribution to the number of RPGs on those platforms would have been the same either way.

The purpose of these acquisitions wasn't to bring more RPGs to Xbox and PC, but to ensure that fewer RPGs release on Playstation.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
The King of Western trash RPG then yes.

Ah, nothing funnier than a salty weeb, not enough underaged sexxed up magical girls for your tastes?
791h.gif

Eh, even i as someone who platinumed it, thought it was a bit of an incoherent, frankensteined togeather mess

I get people's complaints because they made a lot of changes to the game over the years in development but I thought the story was great. Could have been done better in certain places with a few more gaps filled in, but it's definitely the most "emotional" mainline FF game in a while.

Rickyiez

Wait until the games are out first mate . For all we know some of them are still 2-3 years ahead . There are many things that could happen in this timeframe

Loope

Is elder scrolls "exclusive"? I have yet to hear an answer to that.
Well it will definitely come out on Xbox and PC and yes i believe they will make it console exclusive for Xbox. But like you said, you can get them on PC.

I don't know if the OP is talking about Xbox as a brand or as the console itself.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Final Fantasy 16 is exclusive to Playstation. At least timed. That's a bigger deal to me than anything Xbox potentially has.

? Final Fantasy is a bigger rpg franchise than anything xbox has.

Do we have confirmation of Elder Scrolls and fallout "exclusivity"? I use that term lightly because I can get them on pc.

What rpgs is xbox making that I can't get on pc?

Right now y'all are flexing with spaghetti arms and promises.
You sound pretty shaken mate, to be honest.

I’m glad you’ve found Phil’s loophole; yes, you can pay for Xbox Game Studios’ games and play them on your PC.

You’ll also be able to play Final Fantasy on PC, is that a plus or a negative in PlayStation’s corner? I can’t keep up.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You sound pretty shaken mate, to be honest.

I’m glad you’ve found Phil’s loophole; yes, you can pay for Xbox Game Studios’ games and play them on your PC.

You’ll also be able to play Final Fantasy on PC, is that a plus or a negative in PlayStation’s corner? I can’t keep up.
Not in the slightest. I'm just trying to sort out what yall are excited for. I have a pc. I'm not going to miss anything.

Jaxcellent

WRPG powerhouse, i think so! Pretty cool, altho, it would be better if you could play the games on other platforms as well imo.

Their JRPG is basically non-existent, but in terms of WRPGs, yeah - pretty much.

Sony's got the third person cinematic action adventure game market on lockdown. Virtually every major studio they own is making them. Microsoft have their own, sure, but none of them have found success like Sony's.

On the other hand, Microsoft have a pretty fucking stellar FPS line up and a murders row of WRPG talent. I got pretty tired of the Sony Game Formula®, so fingers crossed all that talent that Microsoft has picked up actually delivers on the promise this generation.
Sony formula - third person slowly walking and talking then scripted set piece then slowly walking and talking.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not in the slightest. I'm just trying to sort out what yall are excited for. I have a pc. I'm not going to miss anything.
The OP laid it out quite clearly tbh;

Bathesda’s Starfield, Fallout and TES
Obsidian’s Outer World’s 2 and Avowed
Playground’s Fable

Which can all be played on your £250 or £450 Xbox (or, if you want an equivalent PC experience, your £1k plus rig).

(y)(y)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The OP laid it out quite clearly tbh;

Bathesda’s Starfield, Fallout and TES
Obsidian’s Outer World’s 2 and Avowed
Playground’s Fable

Which can all be played on your £250 or £450 Xbox (or, if you want an equivalent PC experience, your £1k plus rig).

(y)(y)
I guess. All these games are years out and we've seen almost nothing on them. Yay?

Naked Lunch

The OP forgot to mention there's alot of JRPGs trickling over to Xbox too with all the older FF's, Kingdom Hearts, Octopath Traveller, and DQXI. Will be interesting to see if Persona or SMT Nocture eventually pop up too.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I get people's complaints because they made a lot of changes to the game over the years in development but I thought the story was great. Could have been done better in certain places with a few more gaps filled in, but it's definitely the most "emotional" mainline FF game in a while.
I really loved a lot of it. The open world is big and beutiful, the main party was strong, and the combat was interesting. I just wish that the story came togeather more coherently, and that they had time to finish the other open world sections that got cut

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
It is? Bigger than Elder Scrolls?
Skyrim sold really well, over 30 million copies which is about double FF7. But previous Elder Scrolls entries did not do nearly as well as Skyrim. Oblivion is the 2nd best and that sold like 3.5 million in 4 years which is like crummy FFXI numbers.

I think as a franchise Final Fantasy is bigger but it's also had an extra decade and like 10 extra main series games and a billion other spin off titles. I've known a few people that played Skyrim and didn't even realize it was the 5th entry in the Elder Scrolls series.

Can ESVI keep the momentum?

TheMan

potentially sure. But I don't think any of those games are even coming out this year so no, right now it's not. In fact right now MS has a real problem with the lack of bespoke exclusives for the SeXeS.

Fable was always on Xbox and PC, though. I don't see how having it stay there is evidence of some sort of RPG "explosion".

And while Obsidian probably wouldn't have made Avowed without funding by Microsoft, they would have made some sort of RPG regardless, and it would have ended up on both Xbox and PC, so their contribution to the number of RPGs on those platforms would have been the same either way.

The purpose of these acquisitions wasn't to bring more RPGs to Xbox and PC, but to ensure that fewer RPGs release on Playstation.
So you agree.

Kimahri

Banned
Lol what? Obsidian, Bethesda etc all have history of successfully releasing games.

I respect every opinion but that’s quite a stretch, been a while since there was a good FF mainline title.
Eh... Yeah. I thought the sarcasm was obvious, but okay.

I was mocking people who go "let's see some actual games" every two seconds like these devs haven't proved themselves time and time again.

Null Persp

Well I think they will be, Starfield, TES, Unawoved, Fallout, Wasteland, and then they own other potential IPs like Arx Fatalis and Shadowrun.

So you agree.
No. How could you possibly think so?

There is no "explosion" of RPG releases on Xbox or PC like you claimed. If Microsoft hadn't bought Obsidian or Bethesda the number of titles being developed and released on these platforms would not have changed, unless you assume that both companies needed the money so badly that they would have gone under otherwise.

quest

Not Banned from OT
No. How could you possibly think so?

There is no "explosion" of RPG releases on Xbox or PC like you claimed. If Microsoft hadn't bought Obsidian or Bethesda the number of titles being developed and released on these platforms would not have changed, unless you assume that both companies needed the money so badly that they would have gone under otherwise.
Brian fargo was probably going to retire after Wasteland 3 because of the constant grind to raise money. Obsidian who knows their last game was AA because of budget ffs. Both inexile and Obsidian are staffing up thanks to Microsofts money a new rpg studio started by playground. Also besthesda won't have to worry about making garbage like fall out 76 to keep the company ahead. Avowed, Fable and inexile AAA rpg are not made with out Microsoft funds.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
People doubting proven teams like Obsidian, Inxile, Playground Games, Bethesda etc only because they are under Microsoft studios, that's pretty petty and shows the Sony bias once again.
Fallout 4 was pretty mediocre. Wasteland 3 didn't set the world on fire nor did Outerworlds. Playground games hasn't made a non-racing game. Plenty of reason for doubt.

Top Bottom