• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft's Xbox the new RPG powerhouse?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Just look at the RPG's slated for the Series X / S :

Forza guys - Fable.

Obsidian - Avowed.

Bethesda - Starfield, next Elder Scrolls.

Insync - Wasteland 3 came out last year, so they're definitely cooking something else.

Arkane Studios - They have Deathloop coming out soon (well its a timed exclusive for ps5) but Prey 2, new Dishonored or a new IP must be in the works.

I still have a gaming PC, so I'm not worried about not being to play these, but I will be salty if the previous third party studios in that list don't port them to PlayStation 5, just because I'm curious what dualsense implementation they would add, if any.

Perhaps the new Switch Pro could compete, but who knows?

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned
Insync - Wasteland 3 came out last year, so they're definitely cooking something else.
Justin Timberlake What GIF

Humdinger

Yes, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Fable, Avowed, and the next Outer Worlds will cumulatively make them strong in the WRPG department -- around 3 to 5 years from now. That's great, because I enjoy WRPGs. But we have several years, at least, before all of that to come to fruition. So the title should be future tense, not present: "Will it be...?" Not "is." The answer to the present-tense question is clearly no.

Markio128

When Atelier Ryza 2 and Disco Elysium have just been released on PS4/5 this year, I’m going to say ‘no’. Then FF7 (I) next month.
Maybe in a couple of years you can represent your argument, however, as things stand, it is a terrible one.
Also, we don’t even know what Sony/Nintendo will have ready in the RPG genre in a couple of years. I don’t expect either of them to sit on their hands.

Flabagast

Yes, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Fable, Avowed, and the next Outer Worlds will cumulatively make them strong in the WRPG department -- around 3 to 5 years from now. That's great, because I enjoy WRPGs. But we have several years, at least, before all of that to come to fruition. So the title should be future tense, not present: "Will it be...?" Not "is." The answer to the present-tense question is clearly no.

So 3 out of 4 that are medieval fantasy RPGs, yeaah.....

I hope they will allow their teams to be more creative down the line and let them explore new paths (starfield looks really intriguing and fresh though)

Zeroing

Banned
I’m dead inside so, I’m not excited for anything MS, Sony or Nintendo is “cooking”
I rather see the games release then I’ll judge!
Maybe some of the games will bring me back to life.

Arkane Studios - They have Deathloop coming out soon (well its a timed exclusive for ps5) but Prey 2, new Dishonored or a new IP must be in the works.
Those aren't even RPGs.
Yeah RPG is going to explode on Xbox and PC.
I'm not sure that's the right word. I mean, pretty much all of these games would have been on Xbox and PC anyway, even if Microsoft hadn't bought the studios working on them. By and large, nobody on those platforms is getting anything they wouldn't have gotten anyway.

GymWolf

Pretty much yeah, although i probably gonna love some action rpg from sony between horizon and gow sequels.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I do love a WRPG, especially if it's an open world epic. Cannot wait to see ESVI in action. My only hope is that they fix the combat. Melee combat in ES currently feels more like a pillow fight.

Shivvy24

Let's just wait till the games start to come out then talk. I own a XB one as well as a PS and the whole gen it's just been "let's wait and see" or "soon" , literally a disappointment in the first party output from the Xbox side. With the acquisition of Bethesda, there will be more output so definitely a good thing.

ZywyPL

Banned
I've noticed the trend some time ago (sadly), there seems to be quite a lot of upcoming medieval-setting FPP RPGs, except for Starfield, while I'd personally much prefer third person perspective for RPGs, and something that's not a typical nerdish sword/shield/bow/magic setting... It's sad to see that no one wants to make a robust TPP gun-based RPG.

Topfuel

Let us first see what the releases dates are for those games. First half of 2021 have been a barren wasteland just like the last year of the Xbox One. On 360 with had Oblivion by March. Throw in some RPG`s from Asia then it will be looking good.

I dunno. If WRPG are your thing then the powerhouse would be PC seen as it will have all these games and more, If JRPG then you'd be better served with PS or Ninty - tho PC does seem be getting more & more Jrpg 's these days.

I guess that would make PC the RPG powerhouse 🤷‍♂️

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well it may become a RPG factory in the future, but we're going to have to wait several years to see which games actually get released, and then we have to see if the games are any good.

supernova8

Banned
I think they should just not announce anything new until they've actually released something.

I can just see someone making a meme video where they have someone playing actual PS5 games and then someone else just "playing" a list of games on a piece of paper.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Their JRPG is basically non-existent, but in terms of WRPGs, yeah - pretty much.

Sony's got the third person cinematic action adventure game market on lockdown. Virtually every major studio they own is making them. Microsoft have their own, sure, but none of them have found success like Sony's.

On the other hand, Microsoft have a pretty fucking stellar FPS line up and a murders row of WRPG talent. I got pretty tired of the Sony Game Formula®, so fingers crossed all that talent that Microsoft has picked up actually delivers on the promise this generation.

pasterpl

Just look at the RPG's slated for the Series X / S :

Forza guys - Fable.

Obsidian - Avowed.

Bethesda - Starfield, next Elder Scrolls.

I still have a gaming PC, so I'm not worried about not being to play these, but I will be salty if the previous third party studios in that list don't port them to PlayStation 5, just because I'm curious what dualsense implementation they would add, if any.

Perhaps the new Switch Pro could compete, but who knows?
There is a massive potential there, not only for RPG but also for first person shooters;

halo
doom
quake
prey
dishonored
deathloop
wolfenstein

racing with forza and forza horizon was already owned by ms on consoles

Rolla

Banned
Every game needs to be released or at the very least have console gameplay for us to make a determination. Halo Infinite and Cyberpunk demonstrate the difference perfectly.

With that in mind and the fact that those trailers were CG. While I'm hopeful for some good XBOX games I'm not sure we can make that determination until they release.

CG studio that made the Fable trailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom