• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft exploring a cheaper ad-supported Xbox Game Pass 'Lite'?

DaGwaphics

Agreed. I’d be more than happy for it to only have Microsoft first party titles/curated third parties and for their to be a 6 month delay on new releases as mentioned in their survey above.

Right now though Gold is outdated and regular Xbox Game Pass is a pointless tier. Defo needs a re-jig.

Is a person without an Xbox likely to subscribe to Ultimate? In my opinion, no. So how will they expand their reach?

I can't see them going with a first-party only option at any point or even a cut down third-party selection.

First party only would just be too dry, even if they cranked up production to a game per quarter. And breaking the third-party content into tiers would just complicate marketing and that kind of thing (unless it is something like EA Play where they are bundling a separately available service). Would also create a situation where the draw from the big first-party drops couldn't spread to the rest of the catalog as effectively (because maybe a bunch of users don't have access to the rest of the catalog). Which could reduce the benefits of including games on the service, especially for the smaller devs/games.

If/when the ABK deal closes, maybe they create an ABK specific subscription package (something like EA play) and then bundle that with GPU, if they don't just stick the games in the normal tier.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If real, the purported tier would cost $3 dollars per month

$3 for game pass (even without day 1 releases) is a hell of a price.

But then again GP is priced so competitively right now anyway.

Also, 99% of these surveys don't account for much anyway.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think more options is a great idea.

A free version supported by ads could work. While your playing, the game will pause every 10-15 mins and make you watch a 2 min add.

Then at the other end, an extreme level of Gamepass (Ganepass Top G) where you have access to all third party games on day one, plus they'll never leave the service if you're paying for this level, so you'll essentially never have to purchase a game again.

Current Ganepass can be the mid level tier.

LordOfChaos

They are increasing the price.
How the hell are they are going to make a cheaper tier with ads?

Like Netflix has been increasing prices but added a cheaper ad supported tier?

Why is one thing a roadblock to the other? They make the money up on ads

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Elder Scrolls 6 is brought to you by CNN

Lovely. Not sure why they’d previously floated a £2.99 price point for this. This’ll replace the existing price points guarenteed.

Noxxera

How tf would ads work in game pass? Like we get a pause screen every 1 hour and like 5 minutes of ads? LOL ridiculous fkin thought. Delete this piece of shit post plz dont give ppl ideas.

From yesterday's presentation in Brazil.
Don't understand why people here are so aggressive against ads. I personally think ads are 99% of the time a waste of the company's money, and also everyone's time and (in)attention, but that idea is quite interesting to get some customers on board who are poorer. In the richer countries as well, enough people whine about everything, hyperbole; not being able to fly to Dubai every weekend or some stupid nonsense, for single moms it's probably actually a real case of lacking finances, but mostly all emerging markets. But I guess advertisers will not pay top dollar if it's targeted at those who can't afford shit.

If it's moderately done, I don't see a problem with ad based financing for gaming, especially for subscriptions. You don't have to use it, but if it allows some people who can barely afford a PC or only ever played last gen used console games to participate in modern entertainment. Bring it on. Overall gaming is imho very cheap, if counted by hours per dollar you get out of it, but more affordable for some with the downside of ads it still a good idea without any real downside.

Goliath77

Urrgh, cannot stand ads anywhere. We are now at the point where people are quite happy with ads in games it seems.

Ads in console games is the point where I go retro I think. Dont mind product placement in games but ads as a stream is loading is a big fat no from me

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How tf would ads work in game pass? Like we get a pause screen every 1 hour and like 5 minutes of ads? LOL ridiculous fkin thought. Delete this piece of shit post plz dont give ppl ideas.
There are 2 possibilities:
  • In-game ads, e.g., showing a Pepsi ad on a billboard in a game.
  • Showing mandatory ads after, say, a 30-minute gaming session.
Based on the information that has been leaked so far, they are looking more into the 2nd type.

ZoukGalaxy

Not "exploring", experimenting™

cat bongos GIF

Last edited:

Crayon

I don't use these things but from nso i learned that if it's cheap enough, I'll get it anyway. The ps one is cheap over the base sub, but I don't know if I can get half price re-ups on the higher tiers so that pushes me towards cancelling. 60 vs 100 doesn't trip off anything in my brain but 30 vs 100 does. The nintendo one for 20 bucks is so cheap and includes the mp fee so I just let that fly. And tbh I think the snes selection is pretty nice to have.

Robb

Gold Member
That seems to be how it goes. Netflix is doing the same iirc.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Phase 3 - "introduce and promise 1st party content". Nowhere it says that the "content" needs to be good or even actually released.

But here are 10 ways to screw customers even more in a step by step plan! 😅🤦‍♂️

MacReady13

I cannot believe some of you on here are actually saying ads in gaming will be ok!?! Fuck me some of you are quite happy to bend over and take it from these fools… we pay extraordinary sums of money to play games. We support these companies and all we want is to PLAY GAMES. Now we have to have ads popping up to get a stupid sub service cheaper? Pay for your games like you used to and stop this absolute madness. Gaming really is going down a path I’m not willing to follow. Thanks Microsoft.

wolffy66

It all comes to execution. Stills during loading screens? I literally couldn't care any less. Anything that pauses a game or prevents immediate logging in, especially after a dc., is a big no.

But there's people that think youtube should function without ads so I'm sure they wouldn't think ads in gaming wouldn't be ok either.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I cannot believe some of you on here are actually saying ads in gaming will be ok!?! Fuck me some of you are quite happy to bend over and take it from these fools… we pay extraordinary sums of money to play games. We support these companies and all we want is to PLAY GAMES. Now we have to have ads popping up to get a stupid sub service cheaper? Pay for your games like you used to and stop this absolute madness. Gaming really is going down a path I’m not willing to follow. Thanks Microsoft.
Exactly. It's so gross to defend in-game advertisements, as if things aren't already predatory enough in the gaming industry.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
just watch current price point becoming the “lite ad filled” version in no time lol
This.

The highest tiers will become artificially more expensive, so the lite ad version will become the only viable option for most people. Then they will jack up the price of that and make it around $8 or even $10 per month.

Topher

Gold Member
just watch current price point becoming the “lite ad filled” version in no time lol
The Elder Scrolls 6 is brought to you by CNN

Lovely. Not sure why they’d previously floated a £2.99 price point for this. This’ll replace the existing price points guarenteed.

That's my fear. Eventually ads migrate into all tiers and then a permanent fixture in all games in the ecosystem.

Meanwhile apologists.....

This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Would be nice. It's kinda cheap the premium, and more people will be inclined to get it, like Amazon Prime

Top Bottom