• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Mass Effect: Andromeda worth it on sale?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Saw that the game is 6.99 here.
So I was wondering if it really is as bad as people say, and if it is worth that much at least, or a hard avoid...

What does GAF think?

Edit: Talking about the PS4 version / would play it on PS5

Last edited:
Yup, for $7 it’s well worth it if you’re a fan of the series and if you’re talking about the PC version, it got patched up and has the best combat in the series. Can get repetitive sometimes but I enjoyed it and I think the hate for it is a bit overblown. But expect a lot of “no” replies without elaboration lol

Last edited:
Played it about a year ago on PC and thought it was alright, must have been patched up pretty well by now. Not the best Mass Effect game but worth a blast for 6.99

For $6.99? Of course it's worth it. The gameplay in Andromeda is heads and shoulders above the original trilogy. Now the story and characters are a big step down. Heck now I'm trying and I literally don't remember any of the companions besides Peebee. But if you need a sci-fi game to play, its not horrible.

Hudo

Gameplay itself is quite good. If you are not a Mass Effect fan, i.e. "handicapped" by the original trilogy, I'd say go for it. However, if you've played ME 1-3 and loved those, I would say don't play it. ME: Andromeda is a solid to good game but not a good Mass Effect, IMHO.

Moogle11

Banned
As as big fan of the series, yes. Or just grab Gamepass (or EA Access separately on another platform) if there’s more you want to play on those services as it’s on there.

As long as you stick to the main story and character loyalty quests the game is pretty solid. Has the same great combat at ME3, main story is just ok but some of the character quest lines and more story heavy side quests are pretty solid and up to the series’ standards IMO.

There’s just a lot of bloat if you do the minor fetch quest crap (their in their own section of the log book called something like tasks so easy to avoid) or waste time trying to get all open world planets to 100% viability etc. I wish I had skipped some of that stuff, but still didn’t mind it as I love the series and didn’t have much else to play.

That latter point is important though. A game like this probably isn’t worth it if you’re someone with limited gaming time and a long list of great games you haven’t gotten to yet. I churn through games at a decent clip so I’m usually caught up on things I really want to play so playing something like ME:A is worth it to me as I enjoyed it more than a lot of things I try out when I’m just trying to fill the gap between AAA releases I’m stoked to play day one.

HE1NZ

Banned
For 6.99 it's worth it. I'm not sure why people say you shouldn't play it if you're a Mass Effect fan. It has all the elements that makes a Mass Effect game. But prepare that it's very big, twice as long as any game in the trilogy, and bloated with worthless side quests. It also starts slow, first hours leave a mediocre impression.

The Shepard

Definitely worth it. The game is not as bad as its made out to be, it's just not as good as the original trilogy. Got good combat and graphics.

DeaDPo0L84

Its a game that got treated the same way CP2077 is being treated (maybe worse). It was the flavor of the week for the hate train. It definitely had problems and deserved criticisms just not the tireless bullshit shouted by the internet drones.

The game play is the best in the series. Regardless how you end up feeling about the characters and story its very much a Mass Effect game so you'll still get your fix from it. Play biotic and absolutely wreck shit and feel like a god.

Short answer, absolutely.

Chukhopops

get EA Access for 1€ and less and try it.
This. You may like it or hate it and there’s really no way to tell. Personally I found it really enjoyable despite its flaws, and I even think it’s overall better than Inquisition or DA2.

It has plenty of flaws, from the bad writing to a lot of boring quests, kinda average companions, insipid main character etc so I can see why people also hate it.

Last edited:

kyussman

Sure,if you enjoy sci-fi and previous Mass Effect games.It's got plenty of issues but the combat is fun and even with it's problems there really aren't many single player sci-fi space opera type games around to choose from.

Majmun

I'm currenty playing it and I really like it. I'm on my fifth planet and haven't hated any of the planets so far.

The only things I don't like is the side-mission structure. I don't mind fetch-quests, but please make the traversal between them more enjoyable.

If you're a space junkie and like exploring digital space, this is definitely for you.

Allandor

Sorry to say this, but it's one of my top 10 games at #10 last gen. Amazing gameplay and wonderful worlds/atmosphere.
This.

It was a bugged game. Has still some frightening faces etc in it, but the atmosphere is still great. But it has at least one big bummer -> the story ends with loose ends and DLCs never came.
It is not the best Mass Effect game, but still quite good.

xrnzaaas

It doesn't really matter if it's 1$ or 20$, the game is just not worth sinking 50+ hours of your life into it. And this comes from a person who loved ME1-3 (yes, even 3 ;p).

Nope. Not even worth it for free, imo. Disclaimer: I played it for a good 20 hours or so at launch and never went back.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sorry to say this, but it's one of my top 10 games at #10 last gen. Amazing gameplay and wonderful worlds/atmosphere.
tenor.gif

images

#notMyMassEffect

Stuart360

Gameplay wise its actually a really good game. Its let down quite badly though by bad story, terrible writing, and god awful characters. I also dont know if it was sjw related but you basically cant be an arsehole like you could with Sheperd in the orig trilogy, which as one of the best things about the orig trilogy imo lol.

Last edited:
For that price, I’d say it’s worth it. The story is horrible and not even worth paying attention to, but the combat is superb. By far the best in the entire series. With that in mind, skipping the story cuts more than 50% of the Mass Effect experience out of the equation. So that’s something I would really consider.

Topher

Gold Member
I actually enjoyed the game a lot. I bought it for $30 months after launch when they fixed the problems. If the game had been delayed 6 months it would have done wonders for its reputation.

$7 is a steal.

Zeeed

My question in my situation since I can play the game for free:
"Would it make sense to start Original Andromeda when a remastered will be coming out this year?

Last edited:

Stuart360

My question in my situation since I can get the game for free:
"Would it make sense to start Original Andromeda when a remastered will be coming out this year?
Unless i missed the info, the remasterd version coming this year is just the orig trilogy and its dlc.

Zeeed

Unless i missed the info, the remasterd version coming this year is just the orig trilogy and its dlc.
Thanks, you just fixed my brain fart I have had for the past 2 weeks deciding to start Andromeda. For some reason, I thought Andromeda was the third in the Trilogy.

Last edited:
Short answer.
No.
I could never finish it and I've tried. Really really hard. Multiple times. Just can't. It's just so bad in every way. Whoever designed the quest should look for another profession. The amount of flying around from planet to planet and system to system for the most boring fetch quests especially towards the end killed it for me in the end.

LordOfChaos

I got it for about 20 bucks after all the patches and thought it was worth that. Definitely worth that price.

It's an ok game, it's just the worst Mass Effect series game.

Top Bottom