• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for a Capcom 3D Fighting Collection?

Castef

Banned
Just like it just happened with Capcom Fighing Collection, I guess Capcom could build a very nice compilation of its (few) 3D fighting games.

Imagine a similar package that contains:
- Star Gladiator
- Plasma Sword
- Kikaioh/Tech Romancer
- Rival Schools
- One or more Street Fighter EX

I'd buy it in a second, even with minimal graphical enchancements (clean them a bit and we are fine).

What about you?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They've far from exhausted their 2D gem catalogue with so many having Marvel/licensed stuff. But sure, a 3D collection would be ace. Add the power stones, project justice, tech romancer, etc.

Tbh only Project Justice is truly brilliant but the rest are fun novelties too. Maybe MvC2 fits due to the 3D backgrounds even and it would give the collection some needed pedigree if they did licensed stuff. Like they added SFII to the recent collection just to have a big name there.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

The problem with these collection is the problem of Fighting games in its nature. You need people to plays with, I highly doubt you could find enough people to play these game with you.

GrayFoxPL

Just like it just happened with Capcom Fighing Collection, I guess Capcom could build a very nice compilation of its (few) 3D fighting games.

Imagine a similar package that contains:
- Star Gladiator
- Plasma Sword
- Kikaioh/Tech Romancer
- Rival Schools
- One or more Street Fighter EX

I'd buy it in a second, even with minimal graphical enchancements (clean them a bit and we are fine).

What about you?
Street Fighter EX is Capcom and Arika. Created by Arika, having characters from Street Fighter and new ones created by Arika.

Fighting EX Layer got only characters from(SFEX) Arika, that's why I think the relationship with Capcom is not exactly very good.

But who knows, maybe bag of monies can solve anything. ;]

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
The problem with these collection is the problem of Fighting games in its nature. You need people to plays with, I highly doubt you could find enough people to play these game with you.
But the very same thing may be true for the other Fighing Collection: how many people would play the first Darkstalkers or Cyberbots online today?

SeraphJan

But the very same thing may be true for the other Fighing Collection: how many people would play the first Darkstalkers or Cyberbots online today?
That's the major problem for fighting game across the board, I'm not saying its specific to this one.

poodaddy

Some of us have friends and family who like fighting games. It's not that hard to believe. Sorry about how lonely you must be.

SeraphJan

Some of us have friends and family who like fighting games. It's not that hard to believe. Sorry about how lonely you must be.
Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fighting game fan.

What I'm saying is that fighting game requirement extremely amount of dedication and time to get the most out of it, for me only a group of 2-3 people are playing the game does not worth that dedication.

This is why I prefer more popular fighting game such as SFV, Tekken etc. Where you will always have people to play with.

I'm not saying these are better game in any mean, some of my favorite fighting games are the one that released in the 90s.

Its just my personal take of this.

Manji Uzuki

It would be cool to have a 3D collection. There is less nostalgia for those games in general though, so lets see if they will actually do it one day.

Also a compilation of the VS series would sell a lot but Its a licensing nitghmate :(

jaysius

Banned
3D fighting games have aged like milk, Capcom knows this.

The games had to be fugly to work quickly, they’d all need proper remakes, not just half assed remasters.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
For sure some of these have a market, especially Street Fighter EX and Rival Schools/Project Justice. And Power Stone. I don't know that a lot of people are clamouring for Star Gladiator or Tech Romancer but they'd make nice filler on a compilation.

yurinka

I thought the same once I realized the Capcom fighting game collection, having also released the SF 30th AC and the beat'em up collection, and combined it with Capcom Arcade Stadium.

A 3D fighter collection would be their next step is they notice enough interest in these previous compilations, a collection with all SFEX, Rival Schools, Power Stones and Plasma Sword games plus some random remaining one more like Kikaioh.

Street Fighter EX is Capcom and Arika. Created by Arika, having characters from Street Fighter and new ones created by Arika.

Fighting EX Layer got only characters from(SFEX) Arika, that's why I think the relationship with Capcom is not exactly very good.

But who knows, maybe bag of monies can solve anything. ;]
Capom did include SFEX stuff in SFV and own Street Fighter. Pretty likely they can re-release SFEX games without asking anything to Arika, and seeing their SFEX stuff in SFV I'd bet their relationship is good.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Capom did include SFEX stuff in SFV and own Street Fighter. Pretty likely they can re-release SFEX games without asking anything to Arika, and seeing their SFEX stuff in SFV I'd bet their relationship is good.

Hehe. No. The engine, all of assets, all of animation is owned by Arika. Capcom gave only the rights for the characters and the title.

PJX

I thought the same once I realized the Capcom fighting game collection, having also released the SF 30th AC and the beat'em up collection, and combined it with Capcom Arcade Stadium.

A 3D fighter collection would be their next step is they notice enough interest in these previous compilations, a collection with all SFEX, Rival Schools, Power Stones and Plasma Sword games plus some random remaining one more like Kikaioh.

That's not how the business world work, mate. LOL

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I'd like to see a gotcha force remaster, I loved that on GameCube :)

And I loved tech romancer, plasma sword and project justice :)

yurinka

That's not how the business world work, mate. LOL
Yes, it's how business works: if you release some type of product and it sells well, you release more of it. If itt doesn't sell a shit, you don't release more of it.

Hehe. No. The engine, all of assets, all of animation is owned by Arika. Capcom gave only the rights for the characters and the title.
No. Capcom is the IP holder, published the game and owns everyhting (except maybe the game engine, if it wasn't the Capcom one that they built for Star Gladiator). Arika was only a developer hired to develop the game. Capcom allowed them to use the SFEX characters for Fighting Layer, that's all.

It's like let's say Metroid Dread. Mercury Steam developed it buy they don't own the game, characters and so on (except the engine in case they made one inhouse, not sure if it's the case). Nintendo owns everything. Or like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. Sony owns them and can do whatever they want with these games and IPs without From, and From Software can't go to make anything with these games and IPs witthout Sony's approval.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
815tgxQTcYL._SL1500_.jpg

Id buy it

I've realized this over the years, and then I also finally realized I enjoy watching cool and funny fights more than playing them, which is why I started tuning into Saltybet and showcases like EVO.

I think a Capcom 3D Fighting game collection would be cool to see in a tournament.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

No. Capcom is the IP holder, published the game and owns everyhting (except maybe the game engine, if it wasn't the Capcom one that they built for Star Gladiator). Arika was only a developer hired to develop the game. Capcom allowed them to use the SFEX characters for Fighting Layer, that's all.

It's like let's say Metroid Dread. Mercury Steam developed it buy they don't own the game, characters and so on (except the engine in case they made one inhouse, not sure if it's the case). Nintendo owns everything. Or like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. Sony owns them and can do whatever they want with these games and IPs without From, and From Software can't go to make anything with these games and IPs witthout Sony's approval.
Where did you find that info? Because I could find a single mention of Capcom on the Fighting Ex Layer official site.

vs7qySB.jpg

Where? Where is it?

And wiki article:
"Arika is funding the development of the game itself.[8] Arika's president Akira Nishitani remarked that the company had just enough funds to see the project through to completion without external help.[4] While he viewed the game as a passion project for the studio, he said that his primary goal was to keep the company healthy financially.[4] ]"

Tell me again where did you find the info where it said that Capcom ALLOWED Arika to use THEIR(Arikas) OWN CHARACTERS?

Nishitani will be pleased to hear that Capcom allowed them to use their own characters. Very pleased.

Once more, Arika characters in SFEX are ARIKA's.
Then what did you mean?

What he noticed in your post.

. Pretty likely they can re-release SFEX games without asking anything to Arika

SkylineRKR

Absolutely.

Tech Romancer and Project Justice, and throw Star Gladiator 2 in the mix, and I'm in.

Powerstone 2 would be great fun online btw. It was also a lot of fun with 4 players on DC.

PJX

Where did you find that info? Because I could find a single mention of Capcom on the Fighting Ex Layer official site.

vs7qySB.jpg

Where? Where is it?

And wiki article:
"Arika is funding the development of the game itself.[8] Arika's president Akira Nishitani remarked that the company had just enough funds to see the project through to completion without external help.[4] While he viewed the game as a passion project for the studio, he said that his primary goal was to keep the company healthy financially.[4] ]"

Tell me again where did you find the info where it said that Capcom ALLOWED Arika to use THEIR(Arikas) OWN CHARACTERS?

Nishitani will be pleased to hear that Capcom allowed them to use their own characters. Very pleased.

Why are you even arguing with someone who has no idea what they are talking about. You can't get through people like him, it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

yurinka

vs7qySB.jpg

Where? Where is it?

And wiki article:

This thread is not about Fighting Layer. What I said is that Capcom owns Street Figher and its characters, and if they want can re-release, port, remake, include in compilations any Street Fighter games and their characters or use tthem elsewhere. As they did including Street Fighter EX related skins on Street Fighter V or in Capcom's Street Fighter characters popularity poll and website. And to do it without Arika. Arika instead can't use Street Fighter EX, Street Fighter or its characters without Capcom's approval because they don't own the Street Fighter IP.

Fighting Layer is a brand and game owned by Arika (a company founded by former Capcom employees, like one of the main SFII creators, and who continue being friends of Capcom staff). Capcom owns tthe Street Fighter brand, and its characters and they do whatever they want with them. They allow Arika use the characters created for SFEX. They allow Namco to use Akuma. They allow Epic or Minecraft use on Fornite some SF characters, and so on.

It doesn't mean that Namco owns Akuma or that Epic owns Ryu, Chun, etc. Capcom is the owner of their brand, and made a deal with them to allow them use these characters in exchange of getting some money from it.

Sony made Demon's Souls remake with Bluepoint, and if they want they can make a sequel without From Software. If Sony wants, can also make a Demon's Souls movie, or use its characters on other games like Knack Kart Racing or in an Astro game. From Software can't use Demon's Souls without Sony's approval, because Sony owns this brand. In the same way that Capcom owns Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah Ill buy it, especially if it has Street Fighter ex collection
Id really like another street fighter collection but with the console modes included. I really wanted Street Fighter Alpha 2 gold modes

Beechos

Anything to get the powerstone games rereleased capcom milks the hell out of everything but dont recall a rerelease or port of powerstone. Did they lose the source code for this or something smh.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Anything to get the powerstone games rereleased capcom milks the hell out of everything but dont recall a rerelease or port of powerstone. Did they lose the source code for this or something smh.
They did a PSP release, so the code has been ported too.

yurinka

As I remember in the leaked Capcom roadmap document there was a Power Stone remake planned for 2024/2025 or so.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Capcom could easily use the Power Stone 2 canvas su create its own "Smash Bros" by adding lots of Capcom characters.
I am more fond of PS1 though, more intimate mayhem and with online multiplayer it would not have to move the camera that far out as PS2 did.

Castef

Banned
I am more fond of PS1 though, more intimate mayhem and with online multiplayer it would not have to move the camera that far out as PS2 did.
I find them two very different games, actually. In the end I prefer PS1 as a single-player game and its sequel for multi-player sessions.

If i should "evolve" it I would use the second chapter as a base.

(on a side-note, as a Power Stone fan I really enjoyed Kung Fu Chaos and even Barbarian on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, a proper fantasy Power Stone with the very same gameplay style. This one:
)

Last edited:

Beechos

I dont know why they just dont add their games to their capcom stadium thingie. People can buy the games individually or in bundles and the stadium frontend would be my one stop place for all things capcom. Kind of like a rare replay but wih games i would actually want to replay.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I find them two very different games, actually. In the end I prefer PS1 as a single-player game and its sequel for multi-player sessions.

If i should "evolve" it I would use the second chapter as a base.

(on a side-note, as a Power Stone fan I really enjoyed Kung Fu Chaos and even Barbarian on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, a proper fantasy Power Stone with the very same gameplay style. This one:
)

Agreed, but imagine online multiplayer only and the setup of PS1 can work super well as you can construct connected rooms in the same stage and allow for more movement and mayhem.

Top Bottom