• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it possible to have a whisper quiet PC and game at 4K with ultra settings?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Only if you replace the cooling on your GPU, it's going to be the loudest part of your system.
My current pc is really quiet and there's no water cooling in it, I can actually hear my xsx's fan moving air over it.
However once heavy load starts, my gpu fans spin up and I can hear them clearly.

My case is a Fractal Design RS blackout btw.

Nickolaidas

Banned
How many radiators? Can you add pics and give more details? Might be just your fan curve being completely messed up. You should also switch from CPU Temp --> Fan speed to Water Temp --> Fan speed because the heat from the CPU can't be evacuated fast enough from these small cores. If you stress your cpu, it will go up in temps within the blink of an eye. Literally just milliseconds. Nothing you can do about it.
Try to keep your water temp @45°C max, but it should still be safe to up to 60°C if you have a DDC or D5 Pump. But the cooler the better of course.

My advice: Up the temperature limits for the fan speed by a lot. I mean by a lot. 600rpm until it reaches about 70°C. From 71°C to 80°C 1000rpm, and from 81°C onwards go towards full fan speed. If the water temp gets too hot, try to up the rpm of the fans by a little until it works for you. But you really need to control the fan speed by your water temp, this is just a quick and dirty solution.
I can give you a few pics tomorrow.

Here are some specs:

GPU: 2080 Super
Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Pro
RAM: 32GB
Cooling: H100i Pro RGB (Corsair)
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K CPU 3.60 GHz

Tomorrow I'll share some pics of the PC, as well as the settings on the app that handles GPU fan speed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So you get your badass motherboard, your 3080 ti, your 128 gb memory, your intel rdna 3 whatever and you game at 4k, 120 fps and holy shit that's great.

But can you make that pc's thermals low enough that they won't kick your fans into overdrive? Because holy shit, I bought a 2500 euro pc with an 2080 super and supposedly one of the best hydro cooling stuff they got and most demanding games kick the cpu fans and the jet is flying.

What about you, people? Is your pc strong and silent? Or does it compete in noise levels with a ps4 pro?
I spent almost $500 trying to make my PC silent, didnt help. If anything its louder than ever. New BeQuiet case, new fancy cooling system for the CPU, new power supply since the last one was making some clicking noises. All installed by professionals. Three new fans in the CPU tower for a total of six fans. Nothing helped. Its actually louder because of all those fans.

The main culprit was the GPU, not the cheap CPU cooling or the power supply or the CPU case. And the GPU (2080) just cant maintain proper temperatures at max usage. At 95%-99% usage, it goes up above 70C within a few minutes. You want to keep it at around 70 or below.

I pretty much HAVE to keep my GPU usage to around 75-80% because anything higher than that makes the GPU fans kick into high gear. This means I am only getting performance equivalent to a 2070, if not a little less than a 2070. It's infuriating and one of the things I hate the most about PC gaming.

And the worst part is that the PS4 Pro had the same issue. It would literally heat up my room by like 5 degrees within an hour. I actually ran a test because people refused to believe me. I really dislike how cheap cooling systems in premium priced consoles and GPUs are used to maximize profits. My PS5 has been suspiciously quiet but IIRC the PS4 Pro was quiet in the first year too. lets see what happens when that thermal paste dries out and the heatsink gets clogged up within two years.

Nickolaidas

Banned
HOLY SHIT - AMAZING UPDATE!!

So, I've been tinkering with textures, shadows and stuff ... didn't made THAT much of a difference.

And then I thought: What if I lower the resolution from 2160 to 1440? The 'middle ground' between 1080p and 2160?

And HOLY SHIT ...

The fans don't overwork themselves at ALL. I get much better speed (in some games the 4K resolution for some reason conflicts with my GPU's V-sync - even getting the games to 'low settings' didn't help, but lowering the resolution to 1440 fixes ALL those issues! What the fuck?!?!)

The trade-off is amazing. Sure, my games now look a *little* blurrier, but it's not nearly as bad as it looks on 1080p on a 4K TV. AND THE FANS ARE BASICALLY AT 10-15% OF THE NOISE LEVEL THEY WERE AT 4K!! HOLY. FUCK!

Life

You can game at 12K and you can still have a whisper quiet experience. Just put your headphones on.

Kenpachii

Got my entire pc decked out with

NF-A14 Fan​

noctua-nf-a14-fan-294595-nl.jpg

From big front to small top.

CPU cooler

Noctua DH14 or 15

9900k oced to 5,2ghz ( which basically is heater mode, hear no sound. )

images

Get noise cancelling headphones i use these hyperx cloud 2 ( got them 3 years now, absolutely fantastic )

hx-product-headset-cloud-2-wireless-rd-9-sm.jpg

Set costume fan profile for your fans with msi afterburner

block-6-line.png

Undervolt and underclock your GPU.

( i always make sure when i buy GPU's, they run quiet and buy based on that, some cards can be real fucking loud that also helps. )

Unlike populaire believe, don't put your PC next towards your monitor where your ears are next towards it.

put your PC on the ground, in a corner of your desk away from your face.

Something like this.

EX51uGFWsAA5hBR.jpg

Don't do this like all those RGB idiots do.

sbr88-b.jpg

welcome to no sounds world.

Last edited:

Merkades

They don't really help with noise - the problem is that they generate their own heat in addition to the heat generated by the device being cooled. If you're ultimately dumping that into an air-cooled heatsink then you end up needing more airflow, not less.

For low noise, the best approach is to use large low speed fans since they can generate lots of airflow - watercooling can help too since the radiator typically has more surface area than a conventional cooler and hence you don't need as high an air velocity for a given amount of heat transfer.
Just for clarity's sake, are you referring to Peltier or submerged PCs? Or both I guess? Peltier would not surprise me at all, based on what I know of them, but if a submerged PC was not quiet, then I admit that I am quite surprised.

Armorian

Banned
OP wants to quiet his PC

Gaffers: put on headphones

giphy.gif

HOLY SHIT - AMAZING UPDATE!!

So, I've been tinkering with textures, shadows and stuff ... didn't made THAT much of a difference.

And then I thought: What if I lower the resolution from 2160 to 1440? The 'middle ground' between 1080p and 2160?

And HOLY SHIT ...

The fans don't overwork themselves at ALL. I get much better speed (in some games the 4K resolution for some reason conflicts with my GPU's V-sync - even getting the games to 'low settings' didn't help, but lowering the resolution to 1440 fixes ALL those issues! What the fuck?!?!)

The trade-off is amazing. Sure, my games now look a *little* blurrier, but it's not nearly as bad as it looks on 1080p on a 4K TV. AND THE FANS ARE BASICALLY AT 10-15% OF THE NOISE LEVEL THEY WERE AT 4K!! HOLY. FUCK!

You can set something like 3200x1800 resolution or play with in game resolution sliders. But you shouldn't have to... 2080S isn't 3080 in terms of power draw, it shouldn't be that hard to cool. Undervolt this GPU and see results.

Rudius

Undervolt both your GPU and CPU at fixed clocks and also limit your fps to 60 or 120.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I can't believe how quiet my PC has gotten. 4K was a serious drain to my GPU - I completely underestimated how big of an impact 560p of resolution would be. Amazing.

I don't feel the need to buy a 3080 anymore for at least the next two years.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
get an overpowered gpu

undervolt it hugely

if you accept %10-20 performance loss (depends on game), you can practically reduce the power consumption hugely

prime example:

i have a 3070 that consumes 220w @1.05v at stock. 220w is tough to cool so fans work hard! with these configs, it clocks around 1920-1950 mhz (in certain titles. in some titles)

at @0.85v 1700 mhz (undervolt+overclock), it consumes near 140-150w. some people are lucky and get 1800-1850 mhz at 0.85 mv. i lost the lottery on that one

when you throw 140-150w load on a cooler that is designed for 220w+, you're golden. you will be able to cool the card with quieter noise levels

What this guy said.

Get a high airflow case like the phanteks p600 and stick 3 noctuas on the front and a noctua cooler on the cpu. Then undervolt gpu.

Your case will get dusty as all hell tho.

edit: be careful with motherboards with chipset fans - these suckers are tiny and are rage inducing. AMD just had a chipset revision to eliminate the need for a chipset fan.

Last edited:
get an overpowered gpu

undervolt it hugely

if you accept %10-20 performance loss (depends on game), you can practically reduce the power consumption hugely

prime example:

i have a 3070 that consumes 220w @1.05v at stock. 220w is tough to cool so fans work hard! with these configs, it clocks around 1920-1950 mhz (in certain titles. in some titles)

at @0.85v 1700 mhz (undervolt+overclock), it consumes near 140-150w. some people are lucky and get 1800-1850 mhz at 0.85 mv. i lost the lottery on that one

when you throw 140-150w load on a cooler that is designed for 220w+, you're golden. you will be able to cool the card with quieter noise levels
Can confirm, undervolting and underclocking are the way to go. Get some decent case fans and a beefy CPU cooler like a Noctua or a DarkRock.
Get a closed case with sound dampening, like a Define R7.

Forget silly RGB, go silent or go home!

Three

Immersion Cooling.
Complicated. Expensive. Risky.
But silent.

Although it seems the gaming world gave up on that process about a decade ago.
I have a self built water cooling system and even that is high maintenance. What sort of maintenance does immersion cooling have? Do you have to change the oil every couple of years or something?

Exactly. When my GPU revs up there isn't much to do exc

Problem solved:

71o8Q5XJS5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I have a pair of these but in the summer after about an hour it's like my ears have gone for a swim when I take them off.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can't believe how quiet my PC has gotten. 4K was a serious drain to my GPU - I completely underestimated how big of an impact 560p of resolution would be. Amazing.

I don't feel the need to buy a 3080 anymore for at least the next two years.

Its why even now 1440p is the sweet spot even for a nice beefy PC

IMO a maxed out 1440p looks fantastic on a monitor

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nowadays I hear so many stories about people undervolting their cards in order to get temps and noise down. Is nvidia pushing ampere too hard out of the box for the performance?

Dream-Knife

Banned
I have a coolermaster h500 that I added a third 200mm fan to the top for exhaust, but it really doesn't do anything. PC barely makes any noise, it's the gpu that gets loud when it ramps up. I undervolted and am running radeon chill and now it barely has a sound increase, and the tower is right next to me.

nbkicker

Ive got a i99900k with a rtx 2080 super in a corsair case with 5 corsair fans and was right next to my monitor on desk and on just desktop it was as silent as my xbox x , yet playing a game on it i wore headphones but never had them loud and didnt bother me, plus taking headphones off mid game to go toilet i would say it was quiter then my ps5 with a annoying tone to the fan, where pc fans there was no note just air being moved , although xbox x is quietest out of lot, then my pc then nosiest my ps5

Iamborghini

Even if you have good PC the noise will still be there no matter what.

I have:
-BeQuiet 802 case
-Noctua NH-D15 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
-RTX 3080 Ti undervolted at 0.825v @1755Mhz

The problem I have is with the 5950x, this thing runs super hot and the Noctua cooler fans ramp up to 100% every time I play COD Warzone, the noise it can make is very very loud. The last time I heard a sound that loud was on the PS4 Pro when played God Of War.

The solution I found: You have to make a fan curve in the bios for the CPU cooler. Now the fans can go 100% only if the CPU temps are at 90°C or over. I'm at peace now but it's still not silent.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Just for clarity's sake, are you referring to Peltier or submerged PCs? Or both I guess? Peltier would not surprise me at all, based on what I know of them, but if a submerged PC was not quiet, then I admit that I am quite surprised.

Peltier - a TEC is typically about 5% efficient, so if you are pumping 10W of heat out of the device being cooled you need to supply about 200W of cooling power and dump 210W at the hot side of the junction.

Kenpachii

Oh my, I saved more than 100W by doing a simple underVOLT on my Rog Strix 3080 OC.. That's a chunk of heat unloaded right there..

I have like profiles for my CPU and GPU for summer, i basically just cut voltage massively and lower the performance to reduce heat. works great. Winter its full blown OC tho.

Top Bottom