• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it me or have Gen Xers fully reached the get out of my lawn stage?

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
No..Never!!!

OoWBVfE.jpg

Woggleman

We were also the last generation that got to truly experience the pre 9/11 and in some ways the pre 2008 collapse world. Millennials and Gen Z were handed a lot of crap so I don't blame for the way many are.

WoJ

I'm 40, hate people, want nothing to do with modern pop culture and don't like partying (never really did). I also don't like drinking anymore.

Life is great though. Have a beautiful wife and daughter. My career sucks, but whatever. It's just a job. I'm working on a more fulfilling career change.

I don't know if that qualifies me for get off my lawn or not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As people get older, they typically get more conservative, engrained into what they do and stick with it. They are also likely parents, in the middle of their career, and at that point of time you have an idea how things will shake out until retirement. Their lives are heavily skewed to their kids and job as those are their key responsibilities. At let's say 40 years old, it's a key time since that's when you start seeing friends die early or fam members dying from old age and illness.

Expecting people at this age to party it up like a new college grad is ridiculous.

It's easy at 22 years old to scrape up every dime you got and party in Mexico with friends for $3000 and then get home and crash in their bedroom (parents house). When you're 45 and got kids, you probably have 100x more cash and assets, but making that kind of commitment will still be a much tougher call.

Last edited:

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Born in 87. Loved growing up in the '90s/early 2000s. I still have a lot of nostalgia for it all.

BUT - I do try and be mindful of always looking over my shoulder trying to relive the past. I have two young kids and a beautiful wife. I try and live in the today as much as possible because times have changed a lot. Do I think things were better in the 90s/2000s? Hell yeah, but that was a long time ago and we gotta live in the now.

nush

I'm 40, hate people, want nothing to do with modern pop culture and don't like partying (never really did). I also don't like drinking anymore.

Life is great though. Have a beautiful wife and daughter. My career sucks, but whatever. It's just a job. I'm working on a more fulfilling career change.

I don't know if that qualifies me for get off my lawn or not.
RexpKq.png

Soltype

I don't really see it as a get off my lawn situation. People now more than ever are vocal with their opinions, a lot of people express how everything is good right now. If they can do that, why can't people express the opposite. I do feel the world changed far too quickly, too quickly for it to be organic.Times always change but things feel way more off base than they should be.

Chronicle

I am a gen x er and I notice that so many people who I used to have a ball with back in the day seem to have the life sucked out of them. They are stuck in 99 and don't want to experience anything new. They seem to hate everything and turn their nose up at any new movies, music, games or anything. So many of them just seem mad that it will never be the 90s again. Sure I loved the 90s as well but I am not going to spend my years angry that I can't go back.
Yes because movies suck, music sucks and millenials ULTRA suck.
As they say the 90's was the last great decade. Now you're fed lies and eat it up.

It's not all bad. I got to poop in a box a few weeks ago. Company sent me a box in mail, I pooped in it, sent it back, they evaluated it and scored it. Insurance covered it.

Was the courier called Poo-PS?
The company is called cologuard. They have the weirdest little mascot who is actually the box you poop in. He's all happy and cool about it too in the commercials. Based on his design you are actually pooping in his head.

It was kind of hard for me because I always have diarrhea, but I never really know about it until I sit down to poop.

Never did get those jetpacks, sex robots, or mainstream flying cars, but at least we can poop in a box.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As people get older, they typically get more conservative, engrained into what they do and stick with it. They are also likely parents, in the middle of their career, and at that point of time you have an idea how things will shake out until retirement. Their lives are heavily skewed to their kids and job as those are their key responsibilities. At let's say 40 years old, it's a key time since that's when you start seeing friends die early or fam members dying from old age and illness.

Expecting people at this age to party it up like a new college grad is ridiculous.

It's easy at 22 years old to scrape up every dime you got and party in Mexico with friends for $3000 and then get home and crash in their bedroom (parents house). When you're 45 and got kids, you probably have 100x more cash and assets, but making that kind of commitment will still be a much tougher call.
I'm older than 40, my kids are grown, but my career is still my primary responsibility. My grandparents have all long since passed, and my parents are well past the retirement age and not getting any younger. I've seen friends die early, and I'm starting to get to the age where people I went to high school with are dying and others are saying things like "well, he lived a pretty full life". It's pretty fuckin' sobering.

But - I try to stay mindful of getting stuck in ruts. I try to make a conscious effort to keep an open mind about... everything. There are movies that have come out in the past year that I've enjoyed more than most of the things I watched in the 90s. Video games these days are loads better than what we used to have, especially since some indie games now have just as big a budget as big budget games did back in the day. I've spent most of the last year learning a new language!

Time can pass by really quickly, if you let it. I try my best not to let it. I'm not sure if puts me in the "get out of my lawn" stage like OP describes. Probably the "I'm too fucking old to worry about this shit" stage.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Evolving is necessary. Barley keeping up with the effects of social media. Now trying to understand the opening of AI to the masses.

william-ralph-inge-quote-whoever-marries-the-spirit-of-this.jpg

I'd give Barley more credit for it's understanding whilst simultaneously being an inanimate object. The future is now, Kelloggs.

KrakenIPA

This entire 21st century has been an unparalleled shitshow.

I pine for the 70s, 80s, and 90s not only because they were better decades (they were), but also because, at the very least, the world hadn’t completely lost its fucking mind yet.

Seriously. Fuck this century.
Yeah 1975-1985 had sooo much character, and maybe people in 2175-2185 won't have as much fun as we had. I still believe that those guys and gals will look back and say, "What the heck were they doing back then?!"

RAÏSanÏa

I like when kids talk about the 20th century like it was long ago because that's how I felt about the 50s in the 80s. They're far enough removed from the 90s to not feel a connection to it other than the beginnings of retro style with their own spin. Can see how they would have the attitude suitable for that fashion as the 2010s were a lot like the 80s in some ways.

Gp1

High 30's here and life keeps hitting harder year after year for about a decade or so. And on top of that i lost my mother at 68 not long ago and we have a fucking pandemic, a war, inflation, bad politics, etc.

So yeah I miss the 90's were the only thing important was to wait until night to play some unreal tournament (bastards, even that we can't do it anymore) with a pearl jam sound track.

Now get off my lawn.

Being Gen X myself, I'm extremely grateful to have experienced the 80s/90s.
My parents both worked, I could go ride bikes/play etc but had to be home by dusk, use my key to get in after school - and was trusted rather than coddled.
Music, Movies, Games, Pop Culture, Cars, Fashion - all had so much creativity or so it seemed but looking back, it's the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned
The ability to have experienced life before the Internet became so integrated was so crucial and I'm grateful for it. We never needed 24x7 news, good or bad - and somehow with all these technological advancements, we still repeat the fundamental traps that keep us fighting with each other. Giving everyone a mic and a platform during a time when (at least the USA) has been enjoying a time of prosperity, has left us to create problems out of boredom, to be afraid, to see people with difference of opinion as an enemy instead of an opportunity.

JCK75

I'm Gen-X, I always want something good and new, my issue is that after the writers stike it feels like they just went to Berkley Campus and hiring anyone holding a protest sign.
You get brilliant movies from people who write their own stuff (Tarantino, Nolan, etc) but most shows and movies lately just feel like badly written dogshit.

It has little to do with my personal attitude and more to do with actual declining quality.

gimmmick

It’s you and the crowd you associate yourself with. Most gen x friends / family that I know are either married or made the decision years ago to not have kids and live their best life.

I will say I don’t envy the kids and early 20’s adults who have the Internet dictating their personal lives and careers. You do something stupid when you’re young and it could follow you for years. Talked to some saying they’ve never felt more alone with so many people at their finger tips online. 🤷🏻‍♂️

jason10mm

Gold Member
With current grooming standards there is no lawn left to off of :(

I don't need a jungle or large bush, I'll take a landing strip.

edit: I may have misunderstood the op....

Last edited:
I'm gen x and all I'm angry about is that I won't see what the future will be. So much new has happened during my lifetime and i want to see how it will be in the future.

New music sucks, though. The curmudgeons are right about that.
What great new thing has happened recently though?

Kagey K

Banned
I'm having a great time rewatching older stuff that I grew up on, and seeing how many of the items the "woke" are fighting about now are just things we learned and accepted as we grew up.

My son (14) keeps seeing things on these shows and he's like, "I thought we invented that"

I'm super lucky that he enjoys watching the "old" stuff with me. Some of it is a bit outdated, like the Aids scare though, and everytime someone says fag or N*.

Realistically though nothing has changed except cell phones and social media. So the topics stay relevant.

Top Bottom