• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it me or have Gen Xers fully reached the get out of my lawn stage?

Woggleman

I am a gen x er and I notice that so many people who I used to have a ball with back in the day seem to have the life sucked out of them. They are stuck in 99 and don't want to experience anything new. They seem to hate everything and turn their nose up at any new movies, music, games or anything. So many of them just seem mad that it will never be the 90s again. Sure I loved the 90s as well but I am not going to spend my years angry that I can't go back.

dr_octagon

Banned
GIF by SundanceTV

feynoob

Banned
It's not 90s stuff.
The older you get, the less experience you get.

Time goes fast, and all you want is to have a peace of your mind, with no noise bothering you.

1-17 years= active.
18-35= busy with life and work. Very social/antisocial
35-60= anger and boredom. Wants to avoid people.
60 to death= doesn't care anymore.

Stage of human being.

lachesis

Probably because I'm tired. I'm a gen X and I'm tired - taking care of elderly parents, working my butt off to support my child with a good life, and keeping on top of all new things thrown at you - everyone has a stopping point. I think I earned a bit of right to rest and enjoy things from my youth. (more of 80's kid, not 90s though).

If I only like classic games but have no interest in this GAAS/Gatcha games - there's nothing wrong. I don't even look at GAAS games, even though I know it's the future.

It's like one thinking this whole multi-billion dollar corporation is going to bankrupt if I've stopped working. It doesn't. Life goes on, moves on, and sun rises another day - with me or without me. So it's up to one's own choice of where you find your own happiness - and if that's 90's stuff from your youth - so be it - as most of younger ones will also eventually come to that point in their lives.

Mossybrew

I mean I have my "get off my lawn" moments but I have no particular nostalgia for the 90s, I'm still on the hunt for new experiences - games, movies, music, whatever. Retro stuff is meh, been there done that.

New music sucks, though

Nah, popular music has mostly always sucked, you have to actively seek out the good stuff, was true then and the same now.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by the x-files, grumpy paranoid flannel shirted, dragging themselves through the tiktok streets at dawn looking for an angry Elon or Kanye.

LordOfChaos

I think at the top end of millennials and bottom end of gen x, there's probably not all that much difference, it's just aging that gets us all in the end if we live to see it. But I do find the middle to older cohort have drifted towards the boomers, constantly shitting on the younger generations before we've really been given the power to fuck things up.

The oldest millennials are like 38 right now...We're not the kids protesting on college campuses. That's just youth, again it's mostly just the progress of age. We're the people who have been in the boomer workforce for a decade and a half teaching them how to computer (cough cough bill maher)

softwarepagan

Neo Member
Every generation does this.
Except when they say it was better in the late 90's/00's..... it's actually true.
100000%

The late 90s and 2000s (even up into the late 2000s) were unironically the peak of our society - a beautiful endorphin dump of a dying brain. The trip of a lifetime.

It took me til about 2015-ish to realize how shit the 2010s were (at least the mid-to-late 2010s) but it's my story and I'm sticking to it. Lol

RAÏSanÏa

As Gen X I question myself when I get the urge and occasionally discourage it in conversation. Especially with film/music. Constant complaints about the same thing sounds like fixation, trying to make things like imagined and that people can be compelled to larp the past by complaining about how people to live their lives now. In truth there's hardly anything in media that doesn't irritate a person on some level in every piece. I hated most 80s tv and movies at the time, only tolerating it because it was there, and am not going into details about the awfulness, just going to say I started writing a critique at 15 about it called "The Proverbial Bullshit" which turned into a screed. Dealing with the nihilistic attitude was common and later showed up in Gen X films in the 90s like SFW and Doom Generation, Fight Club that helped process it before movies faded into the phantom menace of millenialism. Gen X music sort of peaked around then too before going Avril Lavigne/Linkin Park and Gen X aged into classic/oldies.

It's fun watching the generations change, seeing the influences and enjoying them for what they are. Even how internet has influenced so much by opening up and fragmenting, but also homogenizing in other ways.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
47 here.

Saw a kid at the gym with a mullet haircut, shaved on the sides.

Had the inexorable desire to slap him. So yeah, I think you're right.

Do you think he had the haircut ironically? Or are kids these days on so many layers of irony that they end up doing something like that with sincerity?

softwarepagan

Neo Member
Got no idea. I just don't connect AT ALL with the sub 25 age group
I spent some time in social work in 2020 and all those little shits have the dahmer glasses, mullets, mustaches, acid-washed jeans, brightly-colored high-top shoes etc etc. All that awful 80s shit we thought we were past is back, but even worse

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I’m gen x and I really like today and it’s technology. Music I’m into all sorts and I like having a fun time so what ever

nush

I’m gen x and I really like today and it’s technology. Music I’m into all sorts and I like having a fun time so what ever

Our future dream was a TV we could hang on the wall, got that. VR wasn't even in the picture, I love living in the future.

Billbofet

Gen X here. No complaints from me. Actually quite grateful of my lot in life. I am more worried about the bullshit my kids will have to deal with.
That said, there are idiots in all generations, now get the fuck off my lawn!!!!

Meicyn

Gold Member
42 years old, life’s great overall. Ups and downs, but always trending upwards when looked at a macro level. It’s easy to get sucked into the social media and news entertainment bubble and think the sky is falling.

Biggest mistake anyone can make is living in the past and allowing the world to pass them by.

nocsi

I’m a millennial that’s retired, my peers are boomers. The “get off my lawn” shit they do is city wide mandates to disallow developments that would benefit any generation other than their own. Where I live there is no gen x, it’s pretty much a sprinkling of millennials that live with their boomer parents and boomers themselves.

If boomers get too hoppity, I remind them that I’m their social security provider and their retirement is sponsored by me

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don't have time to be mad at anything because I'll be dead soon (In 20-30 years).
I've had my time in the sun and that's ok 🙂
I feel the same. Well, but I'm sorta in between and I literally have had to kick unwanted neighbors off my property more than once last year. I can empathize the leave me alone and let me keep my analog life people too. 🙃

-Minsc-

I was never a partier so I don't have that to get sucked out of me. What I've had to cut back on and better manage is my time on entertainment. As much as there's the part of me that wants to sit around on the computer all day, stuff around me would fall apart and decay if I did not give a certain amount to maintenance. Being 41, I seriously reconsider how much of my social life I want to be online.

No question, time moves forward and our interests can change. Getting caught up in internet memes no longer has the same appeal. I wonder, when we are younger is it reasonable to say we live on anticipation? As we grow older, we live on contentment. This is not to say I don't anticipate new things, it's just that I don't live in that state. Having read about "addiction" to experiences, it's not the end reward that gets a person hooked but rather the lead up to it.

On a final disjointed thought, as we get older we do have a certain responsibility to step back and help the younger generations. There's no way I can compete with their innocence and energy.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
It's not 90s stuff.
The older you get, the less experience you get.

Time goes fast, and all you want is to have a peace of your mind, with no noise bothering you.

1-17 years= active.
18-35= busy with life and work. Very social/antisocial

Stage of human being.
This is accurate..

I am here:

Trying to fast forward to:

ChaosWalrus

Neo Member
I don’t feel I am at the get off my lawn stage or am a stick in the mud. I like new things. With 2 kids in college and being gainfully employed with a spouse in the same situation this is a great time. If you would have told teen me this would be my life I would have been a much happier kid.

50 years old and I have gamed for most of the past week. This is awesome.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s you, people who grew up mid 80s through the 90s know what real fun and innovation is.
All you have now is watered down multiplayer and choose your own adventure digital books.

senior-person-gesturing-isolated_23-2149193761.jpg

Reactions: TGO
I will never play games as good as Doom, Duke3d, Quake. Those games were essentially Thriller in video game form back to back to back. I'll never relive that glory.

Gen X here and my perspective has changed after my near death experience 3 years ago, early 40s. I used to keep work knowledge to myself since I (l)earned it unassisted but I've been more sharing since. I also have been mentoring the folks just coming into the workforce a lot more. I'm the first guy that gets asked for references which I don't mind giving. I'd like to say I've done a 180 and have changed all my bad habits but nope. Other than getting much healthier I'm still on forums and reddit and wasting time gaming and online lol. I will continue to be positive and strive not to be that "get off my lawn" guy as I continue to age. I love tech and all this AI stuff is mindblowing to me. I feel bad for the GenX and Millenials as some of our work will continue to be automated.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I think I'm too young for Gen X but yes.
Looking at my older sibling, yes.

It's either we're old or are tired of all this shit.

nush

I used to keep work knowledge to myself since I (l)earned it unassisted but I've been more sharing since. I also have been mentoring the folks just coming into the workforce a lot more. I'm the first guy that gets asked for references which I don't mind giving.

I've been through that. When you're young in the workforce it's very much dog eat dog to get ahead and we've all had that middle manger that took credit for work you've done while you get no recognition. At that level your knowledge is what gives you the edge over your peers, don't give that shit away. When you move up it's no problem to share what you learned but not what you are learning now. You're ahead of the curve and having minions that are trained well means you can offload some tasks to be handled competently freeing you up to work at the edge.

Obviously being a bro to the kids that have not worked out how things really work is a good thing. I was fortunate enough to have people above me that could teach me stuff and now I'm that guy. Pay it forward.

Amiga

Evolving is necessary. Barley keeping up with the effects of social media. Now trying to understand the opening of AI to the masses.

william-ralph-inge-quote-whoever-marries-the-spirit-of-this.jpg

Top Bottom