• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me, or does Crime Boss: Rockay City just sounds like a bad idea?

Drizzlehell

Banned

First of all, who is this game even for? I mean, the cast of Hollywood actors they've assembled is such a sorry bunch of has-beens that it makes the whole thing seem like a desperate cry for attention. And let's face it, anyone who still remembers what these people are famous for would be too old for this shit anyway. Don't get me wrong, I respect (most of) those people's work that they did back in the day, but good luck trying to lure in a younger Fortnite demographic with this idea. I'm no marketing expert, but I'm pretty sure that's like trying to sell Tamagotchi to a bunch of TikTokers with iPhone 14s. Overall, the theme and the cast channels the vibe of those mid-2000s GTA clones that were light on polish and decent gameplay, and their main selling points were the licensed IP and stunt casting.

And speaking of GTA, I honestly thought that Crime Boss will be exactly that - a GTA clone. But now I'm seeing that it's more like Payday 2? Another live service co-op shooter? M'kay... how about no? The market is already oversaturated with this kind of crap and people are getting wise to the shenanigans of those publishers who are just trying to scrape some greenbacks out of our pockets. Unless this game has some serious gameplay and a drip feed of content that's an absolute banger, it's dead on arrival. It seems like it's almost destined to fail.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think it's a heavily story based linear fps, like The Darkness 2 ir XIII.

I agree younguns won't know them except maybe Michael Roecher from Guardians of the Galaxy (Yondo).

There are demographics though, most people that comment here are over 30 so we know who they are. I'm sure it'll be medicore but could be fun.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Let's be honest, Michael Madsen was already a has-been in GTA 3. Michael Rooker certainly isn't though after The Walking Dead and Guardians.

Either way, sounds like a mobile game and looks like shit.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think it's a heavily story based linear fps, like The Darkness 2 ir XIII.
If it was that, then it would probably be worth playing. But sadly, no, this is a co-op wave shooter. Kinda looks like a cross between Payday and Left 4 Dead, and it has "live service" written all over it.

The only interesting part about it to me is the rogue-lite and permadeath elements. The way I understand it, if your teammates will go down then they're gone forever, and it will also be possible to fail the campaign completely and you'll have to start over.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Have you not heard of Payday 2? It's literally inspired by it. Payday 2 was a huge success afaik so ofc others would want in on that heist coop action and theyll prolly monetize the shit out of it.
Continue reading the OP to find out the context behind the question.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Considering that they made it the main focus of their marketing campaign, to the point where many people are confused about what this game is even supposed to be from a gameplay perspective, I'd say it matters a whole lot.

I wasnt confused at all about what the gameplay was. Dont think anyone was. It was clearly a Payday 2 game. The cast is just marketing gimmick for boomers. Payday 2 is an old game and not many modern/kid gamers play it, and since this game is based off of it or similar to it, they probably figured, that a classic cast of action dudes would work well. I dont see anything weird my guy.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So far it's 2:1, champ.

Well gaf is a minority and I can only assume none of them watched the gameplay video? I dont see how it is confusing at all. They change the view from player to player literally in the video, how woud one assume its singleplayer unless theyre blind. I guess you guys should see an eye doctor or something.

Edit: oh right guess Im blind as well, I assumed you would link the fucking gameplay video but you just linked the teaser

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well gaf is a minority and I can only assume none of them watched the gameplay video? I dont see how it is confusing at all. They change the view from player to player literally in the video, how woud one assume its singleplayer unless theyre blind. I guess you guys should see an eye doctor or something.

Edit: oh right guess Im blind as well, I assumed you would link the fucking gameplay video but you just linked the teaser

Maybe I just need to spell it out for you: the only people who know what this game is are the ones who bothered to look it up, like you did. Most others who only saw the TGA trailer or scrolled past this game once when browsing the Epic Store, will likely make their own assumptions about it (eg. GTA clone, linear shooter, mobile game, etc.) because the marketing doesn't focus on gameplay and it primarily puts a spotlight on a bunch of old geezers and the crime premise.

I mean, I literally had to look up a "before you buy" video, which isn't even part of their marketing and it's just enthusiast press, to figure out what the fuck is this game supposed to be from a gameplay standpoint. And from what I saw, the audience that they're aiming for with the style won't be interested in the gameplay, and the audience they're aiming for with the gameplay won't care about the style.

Get it now?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Maybe I just need to spell it out for you: the only people who know what this game is are the ones who bothered to look it up, like you did. Most others who only saw the TGA trailer or scrolled past this game once when browsing the Epic Store, will likely make their own assumptions about it (eg. GTA clone, linear shooter, mobile game, etc.) because the marketing doesn't focus on gameplay and it primarily puts a spotlight on a bunch of old geezers and the crime premise.

Get it now?

Are you saying you expect from a teaser to know what the game is about in all games? You never look up games? Im sorry, but you make no sense. If you want to know what the game is about you look it up. Is that not common sense? Do you not have it? Your entire topic is in other words: "I have no idea what this chocolate cake is all about because I havent tasted it and I am confused about it". The first time I saw the game was the gameplay clip, it was at that show and even in the chat at that time people were spamming Payday 2 or GTA.

"I am confused about something and I will not look it up and I will remain confused and cry about being confused the thread".

Drizzlehell

Banned
Are you saying you expect from a teaser to know what the game is about in all games? You never look up games? Im sorry, but you make no sense. If you want to know what the game is about you look it up. Is that not common sense? Do you not have it? Your entire topic is in other words: "I have no idea what this chocolate cake is all about because I havent tasted it and I am confused about it". The first time I saw the game was the gameplay clip, it was at that show and even in the chat at that time people were spamming Payday 2 or GTA.

"I am confused about something and I will not look it up and I will remain confused and cry about being confused the thread".
First of all, I did look it up, but it took way too much effort before I was able to get the details I wanted. Imagine that most people who aren't as invested in this game as you are won't even bother doing that because they don't care. 90 second trailer is all you get to catch someone's attention, and makers of this game fucked it up. That's how marketing works, dude.

I know it's disappointing to learn that most people don't pay as much attention to the same things as you do, but I hope you'll get over it eventually.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
First of all, I did look it up, but it took way too much effort before I was able to get the details I wanted. Imagine that most people who aren't as invested in this game as you are won't even bother doing that because they don't care. 90 second trailer is all you get to catch someone's attention, and makers of this game fucked it up. That's how marketing works, dude.

I know it's disappointing to learn that most people don't pay as much attention to the same things as you do, but I hope you'll get over it eventually.

You have the misconception about me that I am "invested" in the game. I am not. I only saw one video, that gameplay clip which was the the awards show and that was it. THat was all I needed to know that I might be interested in the game when it launches and if people find it good. Im in no way, interested in buying it when it launches but more Payday 2 if done well or better is good. A cast like that can attract some attention with my 34+ age crowd. Cheesy and janky acting while doing heists with friends? Fuck yeah. I loved that in Payday 2 and I will always remember the muriatic acid mission and fucking it up with friends. I know it sounds like I am invested in it, but I am not. I have little hope for games these days turning out awesome.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Christ, cringe of the week contender right here
Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

Top Bottom