• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or are Japanese games less buggier than Western games...

Id even say they put way less effort in graphical department. Graphics arent everything but I feel Japanese games are stuck in this arcade-look and dont want to push any boundaries. Love the Yakuza games but after 7 sequels...you'd think they would add more than the same 2 micro cities or actually add a real open world. Judgement comes and does the same exact thing. Yet people bitch that Uncharted 3 was more of the same and didn't innovate enough lol.

Facts:

Tekken 7 uses Unreal 4
Mortal Kombat 11 uses Unreal 3 - ends up looking a whole generation ahead of T7 AND plays at 60 fps as well.
That’s true, but many people consider Tekken 7’s gameplay much better and more in depth than MK11. Western developers will usually win in visuals especially because they get much larger budgets to work with, but Japanese developers imho are very hard to beat in gameplay mechanics.

I would like it if more Japanese games pushed the envelope more with graphics admittedly. I feel that if Japanese developers had budgets near or equivalent to Western developers, then things could really change.

Last edited:

noqtic

Western games are usually bigger in scope and pushing tech/system,

Japanese games tend to be smaller in scope, not really pushing tech but refining gameplay elements.

For the record I'm only talking as far as RPGs, action-adventure, open-world games go.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Code script is nothing but trigger over trigger events. And random encounters are nothing but fixed location scripted events. The place where you find Mailik will be of that random event and can be repeated spam of Mailiks.
And the AI is nothing but the same ai, with different "types" of weapons. Even the monsters themselves could be tagged as having weapon, as their claws and bites works pretty much the same. The only difference is that Skyrim uses classes to distingish which attribute the NPC gonna have higher. Again nothing dept, the devs wanted to use this to make easier for a ranged enemy to simply be ranged or a mage to be a mage. They don't even do this properly lol

Really, I fail to see any kind of complexity in this.

Scripts take computational time, and they can be expensive depending on the number and complexity, skyrim has a lot. The AI is handled in packages from which an NPC can have a few, and they require computational work to be evaluated and executed for each npc individually. Just having an NPC trying to sort out a navmesh with obstacles through different zones adds a bit of complexity itself, not to a modder but to the engine designers... pff, even the most basic stuff like creating a new outfit opens the door to hundreds of variables that can cause errors or bugs if you don´t pay attention, but again, you seem to be talking about how complex you perceive the game design is, whereas I´m talking about the innards.

daywarf

Western games pursue freedom and innovation, while Japanese games pursue craftsman spirit. Also, Japanese games are much more expensive than western games of the same size, so they tend to be more complete.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh yeah, i forgot ff15, the biggest japanese game in term of scope of the last what? 10 years?! And it was a fucking disgrace, the game released in beta state basically...

Lol this topic...

GymWolf

Gold Member
Western games pursue freedom and innovation, while Japanese games pursue craftsman spirit. Also, Japanese games are much more expensive than western games of the same size, so they tend to be more complete.
What?!

Any example? Because i'm pretty sure that even a little turd like the order cost more than any japanese game of the same scope\size...

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mentioned Silent Hill 1 on this thread also.
Graphics does not matter, i said that too...

Read the thread before jump on people with conclusions. Nothing personal!
I was just pointing out that sh2 is not a good example if you wanna talk about games that don't need good graphic, and even sh1 wasn't that bad tbh.

Nothing personal on my part too.

SkylineRKR

Japanese games tend to push less polygons and deliver a more focused or simpler experience with an outspoken art style. Western games are chasing realism, usually open world also.

I don't know...seems that deadly premonition 2 and shenmue 3 are pretty messy
Shenmue 3 to my knowledge was mostly handled by non-Japanese developers. I like Shenmue 3 and I know the budget was smaller, but what are the chances that the biggest difference in the older games and the newer game is the gameplay and fighting mechanics?

Top Bottom