• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it fair to say Sony is leading the industry when it comes to open worlds?

Eric187

Banned
Nah, Days Gone blows away RDR2 in mechanics, gunplay, gameplay, interactions, weather implementations, even graphics.
Lol yea I have days gone and no it’s not by any means better in any department. Except it has zombies. But undead nightmare did it way better too. 😂

Last edited:
Maybe you're thinking of something else? Fallout 4 is absolutely an open world game. 1 and 2 I haven't played through all the way and it was forever ago so I don't remember them too much, but 3, New Vegas, 4, and 76 are all open worlds.

People can say what they want about the gameplay of Fallout 4 and 76 but they're two of the best open world games out there. I'd say RDR2 has them beat but it's pretty close. Fucking great games.
So now we call open world to anything that isn't hallways? That's not "open world". Open world is the ability to visit the world in any way you want without being bound to the story. Have you even played an open world game?

Examples of open world would be any GTA, Batman Arkham Knight, Driver, Breath of the Wild. I definitely wouldn't call fallout or Horizon open world games.

Stuart360

So now we call open world to anything that isn't hallways? That's not "open world". Open world is the ability to visit the world in any way you want without being bound to the story. Have you even played an open world game?

Examples of open world would be any GTA, Batman Arkham Knight, Driver, Breath of the Wild. I definitely wouldn't call fallout or Horizon open world games.
Er Fallout and HZD are open world games. One huge map, that you can go anywhere whenever you want, and do missions, at least side missions, when you want.

Last edited:
Er Fallout and HZD are open world games. One huge map, that you can go anywhere whenever you want, and do missions, at least side missions, when you want.
Not really. They have huge areas blocked until you pass some missions. Horizon is not open world, is just lazy game design. It has like 3 side quest that repeat themselves over and over so no.

Stuart360

Not really. They have huge areas blocked until you pass some missions. Horizon is not open world, is just lazy game design. It has like 3 side quest that repeat themselves over and over so no.
Oh dude, i dont know what to say. They are open world games. Sure there may be parts cut off until you pass a certain section in the story, but they are still open world. Same with Skyrim, and any game that has an open map that isnt restricted to individual levels.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Graphics?, nah. Not PC RDR2 anyway. I hope you are right about everything else though as i'm looking forward to the game.
You’re in for a treat, it has a slow start but the dynamics of the world are like no other.

images

Eric187

Banned
Are we really comparing days gone, a game that released as a buggy, technical mess to RDR2, one of the greatest gaming experiences ever?

93xfan

Banned
BotW and Skyrim are my Gold standards, so I’d say no.

They’re definitely better at it than the Assassins Creed developers, imo.

Oh dude, i dont know what to say. They are open world games. Sure there may be parts cut off until you pass a certain section in the story, but they are still open world. Same with Skyrim, and any game that has an open map that isnt restricted to individual levels.
For me they aren't. That's like calling zelda games open world, which they aren't except for Zelda 1 and Breath of the wild.

Vaelka

Even tho I don't like the game because of the combat, ESO shits on pretty much all open world games imo.
And you can play it as a singleplayer game too.

BotW and Skyrim are my Gold standards, so I’d say no.

They’re definitely better at it than the Assassins Creed developers, imo.

Skyrim tho?
The world feels empty.

Last edited:

Meme Reaction GIF

lmao it's not even an opinion, you're just wrong. How the fuck are Fallout and Horizon not open world games? What a dumb post.

Eric187

Banned
The movements are too slow, the controls are clunky, the buttons are a mess eg. having a single button to aim your gun at someone as well as interact with someone.
Technical problems usuals mean frame rate drop, screen tearing etc... but yea ok sure.

Eric187

Banned
At least you can admit it’s faults, this is why Days Gone is the better game. The technical issues you spoke of were fixed long ago.
No faults in the game though. It controls and plays exactly how rockstar design it to play. Maybe you don’t like it and that’s fine. But objectively Sony Bend released a broken technical mess of a game that I paid 60 dollars for and rockstar released a fully finished product. Those are the facts so you can argue them all you want. Crazy how cyberpunk was removed when people wanted a refund but days gone never was.

Meme Reaction GIF

lmao it's not even an opinion, you're just wrong. How the fuck are Fallout and Horizon not open world games? What a dumb post.
What about horizon is open? Everything is locked out, that's the exact opposite of open. They have like 3 side quest that repeat themselves. The whole "open" world is just a lame excuse to not make a proper game. Have you even played the game? It's just an empty field.

Eric187

Banned
What about horizon is open? Everything is locked out, that's the exact opposite of open. They have like 3 side quest that repeat themselves. The whole "open" world is just a lame excuse to not make a proper game. Have you even played the game? It's just an empty field.
Of course it’s open world game. Is it linear like last of us? Can you go do side quests? Can’t you ignore the main story for hours at a time and go explore other parts of the map? The game does not restrict you down a linear path. You are not going through “levels”. You are dropped into a world to explore at your leisure. That’s the definition of open world.

Even with all the gameplay quirks rdr2 has it literally shits on the entire open world games industry
There is nothing that comes even close to rdr2 in term of charters , story and it's open world
And I know this for a fact that only gta 6 or rdr 3 which might be like 10 years away will outdo it

Of course it’s open world game. Is it linear like last of us? Can you go do side quests? Can’t you ignore the main story for hours at a time and go explore other parts of the map? The game does not restrict you down a linear path. You are not going through “levels”. You are dropped into a world to explore at your leisure. That’s the definition of open world.
Like I said, are we calling now everything that is not hallways an open world game?

In FFVIII Remake I can ignore the main story to do side quests for hours and that's the most hallway game I've played since N64 era.

As much as how good days gone , Spiderman and even btow is , fucks sake boys don't compare them with rdr2 ,
Is rdr2 perfect ? Fuck no, the controls are a mess but by God the world and story are 300 times better than anything on the market

Eric187

Banned
Like I said, are we calling now everything that is not hallways an open world game?

In FFVIII Remake I can ignore the main story to do side quests for hours and that's the most hallway game I've played since N64 era.
Who said FF7R was open world? Not me. It’s linear with small hubs to explore. But FF-15 is open world. Do you understand the difference? Open world is a design standpoint. Usually what’s within the map you can climb over, go into, has a day/night cycle, weather effects, etc... In FF7R can you go from one end of Midgar to another? Does time of day change realistically? Does it have invisible barriers preventing you from accessing other areas? Yes it does but in FF-15 you can explore the entirety of the map. No invisible barriers except for where the map is finished.

Who said FF7R was open world? Not me. It’s linear with small hubs to explore. But FF-15 is open world. Do you understand the difference? Open world is a design standpoint. Usually what’s within the map you can climb over, go into, has a day/night cycle, weather effects, etc... In FF7R can you go from one end of Midgar to another? Does time of day change realistically? Does it have invisible barriers preventing you from accessing other areas? Yes it does but in FF-15 you can explore the entirety of the map. No invisible barriers except for where the map is finished.
Which goes against HZD. There are invisible barriers, you can't access the whole map right at the beginning. You have to go through hours and hours of gameplay to be able to explore the map. What does day and night cycles or weather effects have to do with open world?

In FFVII I can go from one end to another of the map at anytime I want.

Like I said, HZD developers didn't know how to make a game and decided to put an empty field and call it open world. Next post you're gonna say original Halo was open world too. There's a difference between and open world and and huge world. The main one is that you should have the ability to explore the whole world, hence the open world part, right from the beginning.

Eric187

Banned
Which goes against HZD. There are invisible barriers, you can't access the whole map right at the beginning. You have to go through hours and hours of gameplay to be able to explore the map. What does day and night cycles or weather effects have to do with open world?

In FFVII I can go from one end to another of the map at anytime I want.

Like I said, HZD developers didn't know how to make a game and decided to put an empty field and call it open world. Next post you're gonna say original Halo was open world too. There's a difference between and open world and and huge world. The main one is that you should have the ability to explore the whole world, hence the open world part, right from the beginning.
Lol just forget it. If you can’t grasp what an open world design is then that on you.

Perrott

Gold Member
New IP and Open world games ... thats what we are discussing

Don't drag conversation to your narrow mind retard level...

who gives a shit about COD?
You are the one who's taking Horizon's sales as a way to measure the game's quality, I just said that if we used the same bar then COD would be the best game of the year every year - showing just how wrong your reasoning is.

Oh, and you can take all those insults of yours and fuck off. This is not 4chan or any of those dirtholes of the internet where you'd probably belong better than here.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Are s as ny of these games really open though? BOTW is way more open. You can literally do anything at anytime.

Huh? No, I don’t think that’s safe to say at all I think that’s probably highly debatable. I loved horizon but even I can see that as far as leading the charge in open worlds it’s mainly Ubisoft, Rockstar and Nintendo innovating in the open world arena rn

So now it's not even a proper game? I'd still love to hear how Fallout 4 isn't an open world.

bitbydeath

No faults in the game though. It controls and plays exactly how rockstar design it to play. Maybe you don’t like it and that’s fine. But objectively Sony Bend released a broken technical mess of a game that I paid 60 dollars for and rockstar released a fully finished product. Those are the facts so you can argue them all you want. Crazy how cyberpunk was removed when people wanted a refund but days gone never was.
Have you played RDR1? It doesn’t have the faults RDR2 has. Just because Rockstar isn’t fixing it doesn’t mean it’s not a fault.

Max_Po

Banned
You are the one who's taking Horizon's sales as a way to measure the game's quality, I just said that if we used the same bar then COD would be the best game of the year every year - showing just how wrong your reasoning is.

Oh, and you can take all those insults of yours and fuck off. This is not 4chan or any of those dirtholes of the internet where you'd probably belong better than here.

Horizon is a critical and commercial success.

calling out people like you with bone headed unmerited comparison with Call of Duty... but your comparison just exposes your retarded narrative ...

Insults ? I am not afraid to call out people like you, I only post/comment about games/products I have played and finished.

I bet the success of all the SONY's published IP is killing you inside.

Top Bottom