• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it fair to say Sony is leading the industry when it comes to open worlds?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If you got the console, especially PS5 "free on PS Plus Collection", I would highly recommend you playing it. I fell for the critics first and bought it in a later date, then I was shocked of how underappreciated or purposely this game has been butchered for having what they called "boring white protagonist". You should be careful with the critics going forward as most of them aren't even gamers but agenda-filled hypocrites.
I have a PS4

Bo_Hazem

Banned
From horizon not being open world to latest ac games being great games with great stories, this topic is fucking wild folks :lollipop_squinting:

AC usually has great stories, but executed poorly most of the time maybe because it's too expensive for Ubisoft to hire high caliber cinematographers that sculpture the very simple scene into something epic. Sony has the upper hand here due to having Sony Pictures, one of the biggest in the cinema field, under their sleeves. If anything I think only WB (like they did with The Witcher 3 and other games), and Universal (closed their gaming division) would have put comparable quality storytelling. Disney should really invest more in the gaming field but not like what they are doing now giving their IP's to rookies but getting their hands dirty and work directly with extensive quality control.

Just for example look at Insomniac before and after Sony. You might have the passion but sometimes that's not enough if you don't get great support and fill the gaps with experienced inputs.

I have a PS4

You could buy it or if you are willing to get a PS5 I would highly recommend waiting, although I finished the game on my PS4 Pro but PS5 will give you the best possible version.

Last edited:

Eric187

Banned
As long as rockstar, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Nintendo exist no not ever. They make great third person, story driven games though.

I don't know about the title but I have some thoughts that are kinda pertinent to this. And this is just a stream of consciousness based off thoughts I had recently no real cogent presentation here.

Alright so I was replaying the Arkham series, asylum, city, origins and knight. And the bungie halo games. And Skyrim. And WOW those are some games man. I mean years later still just blow me away. The craft and love is oozing out of every corner of those. The gameplay, the stories, the brilliant worlds these developers crafted, the music. Just phenomenal. And I went and was replaying all the big first party ps4 games. Horizon, Days gone, Ghost of Tshushima, god of war, last of us 2, blah blah blah you name it. All of them just dabbling through the days.

And they're all very very good... buuuut something was just, kinda missing maybe? And keep in mind I LOVED all of these after the first play though. Like, "wow this is one of my favorite games of all time" loved. But upon revisitation I guess the magic wore off? They're just kinda missing them UMPH to me now. And I'm not saying they're assembly line or soulless or corporate. These devs have a lot of freedom and creativity but I think they all do fall into a formula. I kind of likened them to MCU movies in my head. Not quite as mediocre as those but ya know first viewing/play through they blow you away usually but them upon contemplation and scrutiny or if you rewatch/replay them you're kinda like "I mean... its okay I guess".

Now I love the gameplay of most of the first party games. I resent the "PS4 exclusives are movie games" nonsense. But there is undeniably a formula. Third person adventure. Story heavy. Lot of fancy cutscenes. Crafting. Usually open world. Great graphics. (not a bad thing of course). Light rpg elements and upgrade trees. I mean you get the picture. Just like the MCU there is a formula present for sure. And all of them really except the last guardian don't have that thing, that magic to me that batman, halo, Skyrim, red dead redemption have. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

This. I mean the OP listed Horizon, which has one of the most painfully generic open worlds I have ever seen. Ubi clones with a fresh coat of paint, which is fine, but nothing special.

Rockstar still badly outclasses everyone imho.
The open world in Horizon is meant to be wild and teaming with pretty solid IMHO AI life. The encounters remind me of Halo 1 it’s a different experience every time. To me it only falls apart when it comes to boss fights I had so many memorable encounters with the various bot species it was fun just to wander around and accomplish nothing but taking down some beefed up mecha crocodiles or tigers.

I think since open worlds became a well developed, practical game design choice with Grand Theft Auto III, it's been fair to say that Rockstar has ruled the roost in the open world space. Lots of companies have also made great open world games (Mercenaries comes to mind,) and occasionally somebody has made a better GTA than Rockstar (Saints Row 3 says hello.) But even where one game might show its weakness, Rockstar always had other games to show that they weren't just sitting around stagnating, like Red Dead Redemption or L.A. Noire.

Last gen was something different. There was no GTA, and Red Dead Redemption II, as amazing as it is, had some serious flaws. And other great franchises in the space, like Assassin's Creed, couldn't help getting stale. Sony spent the last few years hitting it out of the park over and over, with God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn and now Ghost of Tsushima. Even Days Gone, which I think is fair to say sits a tier lower than those games, gave a better overall experience than a lot of other open world games from other publishers last gen.

Is Sony currently the best publisher of open world games? And if not, who is?
No, Rockstar are.

GymWolf

AC usually has great stories, but executed poorly most of the time maybe because it's too expensive for Ubisoft to hire high caliber cinematographers that sculpture the very simple scene into something epic. Sony has the upper hand here due to having Sony Pictures, one of the biggest in the cinema field, under their sleeves. If anything I think only WB (like they did with The Witcher 3 and other games), and Universal (closed their gaming division) would have put comparable quality storytelling. Disney should really invest more in the gaming field but not like what they are doing now giving their IP's to rookies but getting their hands dirty and work directly with extensive quality control.

Just for example look at Insomniac before and after Sony. You might have the passion but sometimes that's not enough if you don't get great support and fill the gaps with experienced inputs.

You could buy it or if you are willing to get a PS5 I would highly recommend waiting, although I finished the game on my PS4 Pro but PS5 will give you the best possible version.
No they don't.

Maybe 1 and the ezio trilogy but after that...

different tastes i guess.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would agree with you but valhalla and odyssey have great stories. Not amazing or masterpieces, but at least you care about the main characters and wanna see how it ends... That's pretty good for ubisoft these days.
I liked kassandra character but the story was pretty bad afrer an encouraging beginning.

Valhalla bored me to tears after 20 hours, eivor was just kinda there, not ever a real viking but a politically correct version of a viking, nah, not for me.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Currently playing RDR2 for the first time and its by far the best freeroam game since BOTW, even if i picked a top 5 or even top 10 best freeroam games that ive played none of the sony ones you mentioned would be there, horizon looked beautiful and had a cool setting but it was very stale, same with GOH which was a pretty well made game that got repetitive, its like most people mentioned if the sony logo wasnt there you'd think it was a ubi game

LastBattle

For me, Sony has had some really solid open world games such as GoT and HZD however if I think of standout open worlds games this gen my mind immediately goes to TW3 and RDR2 and Nothing comes close in terms of engaging, atmospheric worlds I can loose myself in. HZD did have a spectacular story though!

noise36

Rockstar and Ubisoft are miles ahead, don't really even associate Sony with open world games.

Sonys best games are more narrow like GOW and TLOU. HZD would be their best effort at open world I suppose.

kuncol02

Banned
LOL NO! They aren't even in TOP3. Even Square Enix released better open world games than Sony.
Is that some sort of copying mechanism for loosing Bethesda games or what?

El_Cinefilo

Sony make GREAT games, I don't think open worlds are their strongest suit though.

I think Rockstar are still number 1 in that regard.

Cyberpunks world is fantastic too, it's just that it's held together with sticky tape.

Ubisoft? Garbage like Assassin's Creed? Full of bugs, repetitive quests, infinite amounts of filler?
Legion took a step back but I honestly think Watch Dogs 2 still has one of the best open worlds around. I'm not saying they're better games than Ghost of Tsushima but I think the worlds themselves in AC Origins and Odyssey are really well done too.

CDPR above R*? What kind of nonsense is this?
Just personal preference. The premise of the thread is Sony is the best, so I’m not as crazy as that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I still haven’t got into GTAV (despite buying it twice) or Red Dead 2 - before those two games I would have had Rockstar at number 1 but they seem to have lost some of their shine for me.

Whereas I devoured Witcher 3 and, although I’m waiting for the next gen patch, greatly enjoyed what I’ve played so far of Cyberpunk.

Slightly off topic but why is God of War not open world? Is it just a scale thing? It’s open and fully explorarable off the main path, has a world map and missions. Heck it even has vehicles
For me an open world should allow 360 degrees access for the vast majority of its playing space.

E.g., when attacking an outpost in Far Cry you can come at it from any angle and rest of the map is like that as well.

God of war is not like that at all. Every point in the World will have one access point and if you’re lucky an exit point and the Lake of nine just the connects them together. Once you’re in these areas you’re going in the exact order the developer wants you too with very little room for experimentation (Accept with the combat obviously where you have tons of choice).

Don't get me wrong I love the game and it's great at getting you to explore in fact I think it encourages exploration far better than many full blown open world games but I think labelling it an open world would render the term meaningless.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Nintendo beat everyone on their first try. RDR2 is also probably the single greatest achievement in owg as far as detail and believability. Sony makes ubisoft-esq open worlds that feel a little less cluttered at best.

GymWolf

I cringe everytime i read that bethesda does the best open world...ultra buggy games with mediocre graphic, shitty story and charas, ultra shitty combat...but hey, you can pick up every item in the game and it stays there where you put it, 10\10...

GymWolf

And yet no one comes even close to them in terms of open worlds. And I'm saying that as person who hate writing in Bethesda games.
Well that is a personal opinion and nothing more.

For me they are pretty bottom tier since oblivion, i still had fun with some of them, but king of open world, yeah no...

Last edited:
Bounce No GIF

It's quite perplexing how Sony can produce a couple of mediocre-to-good first party games in a new game genre they haven't delved into before, like open-world games, and the fanboys will claim they are now the best at producing this specific type of game. Better than all the proven industry dev teams that have been releasing this type of game for decades and received hundreds of GOTY awards like Bethesda, Rockstar, Rocksteady, Nintendo, CD Projekt RED, etc. It'd be funny if it wasn't sad.

Top Bottom