• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hyper Scape already dead? Or will the Console release save it?

Banned
These are the current viewership numbers on Twitch for Hype Scape:

unbenanntygjd0.png

as you can see with 2.5K viewers, even OSU is beating it in viewership numbers, and even some Dishonored speedruns (most likely) come out ontop of it. And that is, even tho the game currently has a promotion that if you watch it on Twitch with a connected Ubisoft account, you get 600 of its in-game currency when the full release comes out (the battle pass will be 950 or ~$9.50, so basically you'll get $6 worth simply for watching it or playing it for an hour)

now let's look at the top row of games on Twitch atm.

unbenannt23yjxd.png

here we see the next closest competition to it in the BR genre, PUBG... a game that is pretty old already and Darwin Project, a game that is not worth developing further for the devs, so they moved on from it, not updating it anymore or supporting it really... and that has 16.3K viewers!
looking further up in the list and we see Apex Legends, which people meme on the internet is a "dead game" has its most successful season yet and with 27.8K viewers has more than 13x the viewership of Hyper Scape
(note: I literally just had to look at the thread title I already typed in in order to remember the game's name, maybe one of the reasons it seems to be failing atm)

so, is this game dead? can it recover? will the console/full release with crossplay next month be able to save it?

IMO it has many problems, it has VERY stiff controls, way too many abilities that shoot you upwards into the air and let you escape (movement ability + invisibility, or movement ability + invincibility shield is crazy OP) and the mapdesign is extremely boring. BUT with its more old school kinda feel to it it could have potential IMO... it certainly is different enough from other BRs to stand on its own if properly supported and enhanced.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yeah its weird. A few of the streamers i watch, who play those kind of games, none of them have played it. They are all playing that Rogue Army or whatever its called, Warzone, and even Grounded.
I wasnt even certain it was out because i just havent seen anyone play it. With the kind of game it is, you would think streamers would be all over it.

Last edited:

Banned
games are judged by not how many play them, but how many watch them?

seinfeld-leaving.gif

in the BR space, usually yes. and Hyper Scape especially made huge moves towards Twitch integration, you can vote on in game events and you can even get Battle Pass progression simply by watching streamers.
so the game is very much made for streamers, yet no one seems to be interested.
if you are extremely into a current multiplayer focused game, you usually seek content online that includes that game... Apex Legends fans watch Apex Legends streams, CoD fans watch CoD streams etc... what does that tell us about Hyper Scape when that game even gives you battle pass progression just for watching, so you unlock stuff in game constantly by watching a game you like...

also, in these days, multiplayer focused games rely heavily on streaming and let's play content. Sea of Thieves for example had a huge spike in sales and player numbers as soon as Summig1G started streaming it all day long and doing crazy shit in-game. it almost felt like the game got a second life from that point on. developer support of it seemed to really ramp up from there and since then the game reaches milestone after milestone and get's one big content update after the next.

Last edited:

Rikoi

It's always the same issue to me.
Once a genre is successful it saturates so much and only the best survive.
All the sheeps will continue chasing the best money making games thinking they can have a cut but in reality they will get nothing because the original is better with an established community.
You either release a masterpiece of a game which everyone loves or don't even try.

Banned
small update now that the game is released on console and out for a few weeks:

ZrpVU8s.png

it is now at 1.4K viewers, almost half of what I already found to be alarming.
I also just played it again, barely got 60 players in my lobby after waiting in the pre game lobby for multiple minutes.

I don't see a future for it tbh.

just for comparison:

4wWbttZ.png

and Apex is often being made fun of for being a "dead game" btw.
where I have no issue finding Rankes matches (where only players that are 1 ranking above or below you can be matched) in the middle of the night on EU servers. the longest I've ever waited in matchmaking, even at 4am in ranked, was maybe 60 seconds

Last edited:

Banned
All this says is that ubisoft isn't going to pay anyone to play their game.

noone is paying anyone to play Apex, also there are many streamers streaming it, just noone watching it.

and I also noted how it's often almost impossible to fill a game lobby.

not even H1Z1 on PS4, which is a crazily unpolished game even to this day, had such a decline

Compsiox

Banned
I'll say it again and forever. The initial release should have never ended. I don't know why they wanted to take the game away from players for a few weeks.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I don't play Battle Royal games much but I have no idea why anyone would play this over Apex Legends or warzone. It has the worst art, so stupid looking; definition of design by committee(make it look futuristic and cool), the battle pass skins are absolutely terrible. I know those may not be reasons to not play a game but really if your going to dump hours into battle royal small things matter. I also didn't like the feel of the weapons or how they worked, everything felt weightless to me. Also even early on on console the queue times seemed very long compared to other battle royal games. Anyway I will probably give it another shot in a month or so but I think this one is going to die.

from what i've seen of it, the game looked dreadful. players constantly blasting off into the air and teleporting all over the place. it's annoying enough on PC, I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be on console with a controller.

Yeah, I cant see it catching on. Good for Rogue Company though.

Sorry Ubisoft, looks like you will have to keep raking in money some other way. You will think of something.
oRvadbB.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's a Battle Royale that removes or diminishes everything that makes the genre special.

Ubisoft thought arena shooters were still relavent in the era of Battle Royale. They're not.

Banned
I was sitting on my PC, noticed I still have Hyper Scape installed... so I wondered what the game looks like these days so an update :)

so first the top played games:
hyperscape_2twitchlekt7.png

all the usual suspects are here. GTA, Fortnite, Apex Legends etc.

but then I scrolled down for a whole 30 seconds (Twitch loads in new games to the list as you scroll... this is very slow but still, 30sec scroll!)

and I found it:
hyperscapetwitch72jd5.png

there it is with 91 viewers, right behind Half Life... and before Mario Galaxy 2. the most watched channel has 15 viewers. I watched the stream and the lobby filled up to... DRUMM ROLL!
Rf0d96cfa029982d46e3955485ecdf2d0

21 players... AFTER MINUTES OF WAITING in the start lobby.

just for the lols, I looked up a stream of H1Z1 on PS4, that lobby had 70 players in it... H1Z1 on PS4 has a more active player base than crossplay enabled Hyper Scape... I would bet Halo Custom Edition on PC has a more active playerbase.
the game is dead at this point.
what started as a concerning trend I saw on Twitch has now concluded in what I was expecting to see half a year or so later. dead game, and most likely won't get supported that much longer either.

kinda sad. the base idea was cool, I always thought the controls felt stiff (especially the sliding) and the abilities were too much focused on flying up into the air... but it was a good game overall :/

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
the core mechanics had potential, but I agree that it is soulless and that is most likely what killed it. generic leveldesign, forgettable characters, boring art style

It broke the main rule of Battle Royale.

Logistics need to matter.

MiguelItUp

I wanted to appreciate Hyper Scape for bringing faster arena shooter-like gameplay into the realm of BR. Hell, even more unique weapons and abilities. But everything else about the game felt passionless. The art, the look, the feel. Everything. I know they plan on it coming back in a big way, but man, I dunno, lol.

CitizenZ

Banned
Can someone go grab all the headlines from urinalist who praised this as a likely competitor to WZ.

Also, consoles save it? Maybe one of the funniest things i have read in a while.

harmny

Banned
I was sitting on my PC, noticed I still have Hyper Scape installed... so I wondered what the game looks like these days so an update :)

so first the top played games:
hyperscape_2twitchlekt7.png

all the usual suspects are here. GTA, Fortnite, Apex Legends etc.

but then I scrolled down for a whole 30 seconds (Twitch loads in new games to the list as you scroll... this is very slow but still, 30sec scroll!)

and I found it:
hyperscapetwitch72jd5.png

there it is with 91 viewers, right behind Half Life... and before Mario Galaxy 2. the most watched channel has 15 viewers. I watched the stream and the lobby filled up to... DRUMM ROLL!
Rf0d96cfa029982d46e3955485ecdf2d0

21 players... AFTER MINUTES OF WAITING in the start lobby.

just for the lols, I looked up a stream of H1Z1 on PS4, that lobby had 70 players in it... H1Z1 on PS4 has a more active player base than crossplay enabled Hyper Scape... I would bet Halo Custom Edition on PC has a more active playerbase.
the game is dead at this point.
what started as a concerning trend I saw on Twitch has now concluded in what I was expecting to see half a year or so later. dead game, and most likely won't get supported that much longer either.

kinda sad. the base idea was cool, I always thought the controls felt stiff (especially the sliding) and the abilities were too much focused on flying up into the air... but it was a good game overall :/

good thing you didn't have to pay for it then. imagine spending $30 on it like people did with lawbreakers.

f2p is the right decision.

Banned
good thing you didn't have to pay for it then. imagine spending $30 on it like people did with lawbreakers.

f2p is the right decision.

Lawbreakers might actually have been a success as a free 2 play game. but everything about this game was a mismanaged mess. PS4 console exclusive, 30 bucks buy in, boring ass character designs... how did they not see that fail coming?

Last edited:

Arsic

This is arguably the worst BR. Let it go Ubi.

Awful guns, TTK, visuals, movement, etc is all just off.

Top Bottom