• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hollywood prejudiced against redheads?

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters

brap

Banned
I mean every time there's a redhead character they usually get replaced by somebody black and sometimes white. This happens far too often to be just a coincidence.
>inb4 somebody says no and posts ScaJo Black Widow as their sole example

Hooray! One of the most iconic redheads is now black too!

OyZCAf8.jpg

U6U2Ur5.jpg

CyberPanda

Banned
Yes, they are. Red heads deserve recognition, and ginger women are some of the most beautiful and unique around. At this rate, their genes will be gone, and that makes me a sad panda. And, I love how a black woman is playing Ariel. Nice one Disney.

What’s next they are gonna pick a black guy to play as a Japanese character in a movie?

Last edited:

ROMhack

Dunno if serious but I see far less redheads around in general so maybe? Might just not be fashionable, who wants to be a nerd ewww.

Thurible

Never thought of it like that. I just assumed there weren't too many red headed actors and actresses because there aren't a lot of red heads compared to the non-"ginger" population.

Thurible

Red heads need to produce more. They are so unique and beautiful!
I have a beautiful red headed sister who has a few very handsome red headed children.

So you like carrot tops? Personally, I don't care much about hair color, though if I had to choose I'd probably choose brunettes or women with black hair.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
I have a beautiful red headed sister who has a few very handsome red headed children.

So you like carrot tops? Personally, I don't care much about hair color, though if I had to choose I'd probably choose brunettes or women with black hair.
Ginger women are beautiful, and they need to preserve their uniqueness. Every ethnicity does imo.

Thurible

Ginger women are beautiful, and they need to preserve their uniqueness. Every ethnicity does imo.
Wouldn't call them an ethnicity, but I believe I understand your feelings. Every group is beautiful in their own way and if a particular group with a physical trait you like is uncommon and dwindling, you would want to preserve that. What exactly do you like about them if I may ask?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
People dropping the G-bomb better have some red hair on them domes.

Ok I'll rearrange the letters and use that instead.. oh bugger I'm not allowed to use that one either...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
She wasn't chosen because she didn't have red hair. She was chosen because making everything iconic is wrong and not diverse. Also it is acceptable to dye a redheads hair black.

Redheaded women? Wouldn't think so, but they might be much rarer than blonde, brown and black hair in Hollywood, don't quote me on that though. Redhead men? Probably, rarely ever see any in a notable role, outside of some big brawly viking types like Tormund Giantsbane. Often the men who are redheaded naturally dye their hair another color. If they're redheaded, they're also often in some goofy or comedic role. That's my impression at least, though it might not stand up to empirical scrutiny, or it might.

Gingers tend to be the rather acceptable to make fun of, thinking about it. TrainedRage TrainedRage is of course doing his best to make it stay that way. :messenger_smirking:

oagboghi2

I never noticed it til you pointed it out.

If you think about it it does make sense. Redheads are not a group like black people are. there are no redhead community like other minorites have.

Companies like Disney depends on whipping up audiences based off of racial and sexual identification. You can't really do that with redheads but you can do that with blacks, Asians, gays, etc etc

Basically redheads aren't important

Last edited:
I never noticed it til you pointed it out.

If you think about it it does make sense. Redheads are not a group like black people are. there are no redhead community like other minorites have.

Companies like Disney depends on whipping up audiences based off of racial and sexual identification. You can't really do that with redheads but you can do that with blacks, Asians, gays, etc etc

Basically redheads aren't important
It only makes sense in the sense that they are replacing White characters in general. You're on some anti-White shit right here.

DiscoJer

It only makes sense in the sense that they are replacing White characters in general. You're on some anti-White shit right here.

No, I think he has a point. These days companies want to have as diverse a cast as possible because they want to have their audience to be able to identify with someone on the screen. Changing a redhead, which are fairly rare, to something far more common makes sense, because they don't really care if they lose the redhead audience if they gain a larger one. Especially overseas. How many places even have redheads? Europe, US, and North Africa

Nymphae

Banned
Seriously I had no idea there were that many white to black character transformations. Count them in the OP, it's nuts.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I still hate the modern cal-arts TMNT for what they did to April. In fact I hate everything about that show.

tenor.gif

giphy-3.gif

giphy.gif

Accept no substitutes.

But here are some presents for those who think her current redesign is good.
6059034.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You see how stupid they made Merida sound in Ralph Breaks?

All them judging ass basics looking at her and shit.

Last edited:
The last time I can think of a male redhead in a movie or TV show I watched, it was Bill Burr in Breaking Bad. How rare are redhead males in media, anyhow?

highrider

Banned
Actor David Caruso really torpedoes this theory. He forged a pretty good career on tv and movies just being David Caruso.

lVaZcMB.jpg

Top Bottom