• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is gaming slowing going the 2005+ route hollywood of remakes/remasters, how about a different take on a remake

INC

is it just me that feels gaming is becoming more and more like this?

Now im not against it, when done right, remakes can out shine the original, for example, the thing, the fly, scarface, and even franchises can have a second wind, take nolan batman.

But as we all know, this also goes the other way.

Same can be said for games, resident evil was a fantastic example.

So, the discussion im looking for, in remakes and remasters, what do you think warrants a remaster/remake? What should be preserved, should anything be preserved? For another example? Would you rather a completely different take on these (to use Hollywood and risk, look at joker)

Why not give your own example of this,

how about a batman horror game, where you're the criminal and the batman is a myth/supernatural folklore, trying to stop you (obviously this isn't ideal, more of an example)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, just making a new entry in a franchise doesn't qualify for either, at best it could be a reBOOT.

I think they're popular right now because the PS1 era is a largely untapped goldmine of fantastic games that most people grew up on, but won't, or can't, play any more. Look at Crash, Spyro and Tony Hawk, all massively popular franchises in their day. But how many people who grew up playing those games are realistically going to dig out or buy a PS1 and a disc version? How many will be bothered to learn how to emulate those games on their laptop? Not many. But slap a new coat of paint on them and bundle them for forty bucks, and baby, you got a stew goin'.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yep, there are so many IPs that they could just revive old ones for the next 20 years and never run out. We've passed the saturation point. Now we're racing to lowest price / highest quality paradox, then a soft crash of big publishers, then we'll see IP innovation enter the market again.

Stuart360

I have never really had a problem with remakes and remasters. It keeps them games relevant, and often adds stuff outside of graphics to make them accessable for gamers today.
I love a lot of games from the past 20 years, i'd love them all to be remade/remastered and brought up to current standards.

INC

Look at Mario, Nintendo has been doing this on every title, and as a result, Mario has always been fresh

Why I think its a great thing to take a new direction when remastering and remaking

Another is twin snakes (mgs), I liked that, others hated it

ZywyPL

Banned
Yes it is. Which isn't a bad thing IMO, being able to revisit a great story/universe but with up-to-date gameplay mechanics and visuals is something I'll always gladly welcome, it all comes down to just two things - firstly, how many of the remasters/remakes are there among new releases, aren't they overwhelming the actualyl new, fresh games, and secondly, the quality of the said remasters/remakes, because on one hand we have remasters like CoD4 and on the other WC3...

Reactions: INC

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nostalgia sells. Movie studios realized this and now game companies too.

It´s good for game preservation, but man, we need new IP's.

Reactions: INC

INC

Another reason i bring this up, is dice onc3 said, they can't make a bfbc3 because they don't know what made bfbc2 work

Well I'd be happy with a remaster, a bring the gfx and controls to a modern feel.

VR is another way to experience older games in a new way, im shocked more studios arent doing this, its been Modders mainly

Imagine if BF2 or bfbc2 had a VR remaster...........sorry I just came a little

I hate to bring demon souls into this, since there's so many threads about it, but thats another good example (even tho ill never play it)

Do u think just a straight res and frame boost is enough? Or should devs try and add their own twist

Didn't DMC do this recently?

Vawn

Banned
I want Nintendo and Capcom to get together to remake the original Resident Evil, but with Mario characters in the roles of RE characters.

Waluigi as Albert Wesker, Wario as Barry Burton, Peach as Jill Valentine, Luigi as Chris Redfield, Daisy as Rebecca Chambers, etc.

INC

I want Nintendo and Capcom to get together to remake the original Resident Evil, but with Mario characters in the roles of RE characters.

Waluigi as Albert Wesker, Wario as Barry Burton, Peach as Jill Valentine, Luigi as Chris Redfield, Daisy as Rebecca Chambers, etc.

'You were almost a peach sandwich'

Sethbacca

There's so much great gaming from the 80's and 90s 16 bit era that could be remade using current tech. I'd love especially for a lot of the old rpgs to not so much be remade FF7 style, but more so just done 2.5d with modern UI so that they look like modern games but with the classic gameplay. That, and a lot of the early 3d games just frankly aren't aging well. There's a lot of love for a lot of these old stories as long as they're handled with care and not treated like shovelware.

INC

There's so much great gaming from the 80's and 90s 16 bit era that could be remade using current tech. I'd love especially for a lot of the old rpgs to not so much be remade FF7 style, but more so just done 2.5d with modern UI so that they look like modern games but with the classic gameplay. That, and a lot of the early 3d games just frankly aren't aging well. There's a lot of love for a lot of these old stories as long as they're handled with care and not treated like shovelware.

Like the new streets of rage, obviously the art style of the one isn't fir everyone, bit the quality, whilst retaining the essence of the game is there

I've said for years I'd love a FFVII/VIII just redrawn version

Isnt there some AI program that can do this? Sure I saw something about this.

These older 16bit remasters could bring back the couch coop days too

Sethbacca

Like the new streets of rage, obviously the art style of the one isn't fir everyone, bit the quality, whilst retaining the essence of the game is there

I've said for years I'd love a FFVII/VIII just redrawn version

Isnt there some AI program that can do this? Sure I saw something about this.

These older 16bit remasters could bring back the couch coop days too

You'd think there would be some kind of AI/machine learning that could be trained to handle most of the work. Whoever figures that one out could make some cash quick.

Vaelka

I have no issue so long as the remakes are good, usually with movies they tend to be trash but with games there's just a more clear foundation there to work with and is harder to get wrong I think.
RE2R and RE3R were very different tho but still worked while RE1R was a more classic and safe remake.
Personally I actually would've liked to have seen RE2R and RE3R been remade in the same way that RE1R was but I still thought they did a great job with RE2R at least ( not with RE3R ).
Altho RE2R still had issue especially with the lack of choices and how they cut a lot interactions and areas.

But yeah I do think that a bad remake sorta tarnishes the original a little bit, because to new audiences that's the game they get to experience and it kinda sucks. But I honestly can't think of many bad remakes when it comes to games.
I kinda do wish they wouldn't '' modernize '' them so much sometimes tho, like again with RE2R and RE3R I actually think that if they had stayed more true to the originals gameplay wise it would've been very unique games in the industry but instead they just made them generic action games.
Again I loved RE2R but gameplay wise it's very generic and doesn't stand out much, I would've liked to have seen the old style of gameplay with more modern graphics. Not every game needs to be first person or third person action games like that, there's a huge lack of originality in video games nowadays I feel like when it comes to gameplay.

Top Bottom