• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Fun important to you in a game?

Is Fun in a videogame important to you?

• Yes

Votes: 172 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • I only play competitve multiplayer to destroy noobs

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I maybe old fashioned, but good old fashion fun is what draws me to my favorite games. Thinking on this, games like the Last of US 2, dark souls, bloodbourne, do not appeal to me because they lack FUN. I understand the real sense of accomplishment when beating a hard boss, level, etc. Often times between that accomplishments there is tons of frustration, cursing, some even break controllers.

Take a game like the Last of Us 2. It is a technical marvel that many including myself hating the story. After reading dozens of reviews, I cannot think of one that said the Game was FUN.

Does it matter to you?

For me, "fun" is bleak and dark and depressing. I just respond to those elements in a way that something that is forcefully "cheery" could never hope to. I guess it depends on your existential outlook. Mine is that life is something strange and awful and the world is not a good place, so to incorporate that into a game is satisfying like applying a balm to an itch. When games or any media try so hard to be "sunshine" it always feels forced to me, like a guy contorting his mouth into a smile with both fingers.

Last edited:
Fun is like a chemical reaction. Like fire. All sorts of things can fuel it depending on what type of fun people want to have. Struggle and frustration create a reaction in me that I enjoy immensely as long as I see a road to progress and success. Which is one of the reasons I love arm wrestling and the grueling training I do for it so much.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that those who find struggle fun and crave overcoming, have set themselves up for great success in life.

I also love a good narrative or world building and lore as well. So it's always a bonus when/if both come together to compliment each other. Like Halo did for me.

DonF

Yes, games need to be fun. I've quited lots of "goty" games cause I was simply not having fun. The witcher 3, uncharted 3, horizon zero dawn (im back at it right now, still kinda boring).

I repeat games that I have a lot of fun with. I replay MegaMan x, donkey kong, mario 64/ oddysey, all the time. Also, mp fun games like apex or rocket league.

Basically, if there is no gameplay or story that entertains me, I drop the game in like an hour.

J-Roderton

Yup. Unless I’m trying to go for higher scores on old arcade games or get through a tough game for the story.

I’m too old too be pulling nukes and having a big positive KD these days in multiplayer games.

If I’m not having fun, I’m not playing it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Of course!!!

I really dont fucking care if the graphics are excellent as RDR 2 or TLOU 2... But i need a excellent gameplay.

If you ask me... i prefer a lot Games like Metal Gear rising or Killer is dead Before a games like RDR2

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I've never felt accomplishment when playing a game, including Souls and Bloodborne. They're fun. Just because you don't enjoy those games doesn't mean that other people aren't having fun playing them.

anab0lic36

I maybe old fashioned, but good old fashion fun is what draws me to my favorite games. Thinking on this, games like the Last of US 2, dark souls, bloodbourne, do not appeal to me because they lack FUN. I understand the real sense of accomplishment when beating a hard boss, level, etc. Often times between that accomplishments there is tons of frustration, cursing, some even break controllers.

Take a game like the Last of Us 2. It is a technical marvel that many including myself hating the story. After reading dozens of reviews, I cannot think of one that said the Game was FUN.

Does it matter to you?

For me, I derive most of my enjoyment from both overcoming the challenge AND whilst I'm actively mentally engaged in doing so. Its not just the dopamine hit and sense of accomplishment that comes after you beat it. I never really get frustrated during this process, as games that are designed well will have you incrementally getting better with each attempt and much of the the enjoyment and motivation to continue, is seeing yourself gradually grow as a player. A bad 'unfun' game for me is one that doesn't sufficiently engage my mind and offer an interesting challenge. Hence why I don't like a lot of AAA games, they aren't really geared towards more experienced/skilled players, and it ends up being an autopilot-y experience, in the same way that unloading a dishwasher is... it requires input, but not enough to get my neurons excited.

Aion002

Yep. If it's not fun for me I don't care about the game.

Also, TLU2 is a lot of fun.... Shooting is good, the stages are fun and enemies are cool to battle.... The story is not, but I don't care about it.

Can't wait for the MP!

Diddy X

Yeah of course, it's the main thing I look for in a game, then there are these games that aren't too fun but rather enjoyable or interesting to play because of some aspect which can be cute graphics, good story, etc.

Bkdk

Of course, also there better be some attractive looking characters for rpg or action games, if they are gonna make some abbies, it’s a near instant turn off unless everything else is outstanding.

Another big offender of this is Creative Assembly. I’ll Never forget that grace_CA Community manager fiasco. She banned modders from their official and reddit forums that repaint the vanilla ugly portrait into Femine and attractive ones. This is beyond ridiculous and I truly hope someone like her will never be hired in CA. That just killed the motivation of modding and make me lose interest for their titles.

Arachnid

..for me i don’t want fun only , but I need something to make me think feel and care just like MGS , bloodborne , Silent Hill and many games out there
Agreed. Games that are "just" fun really never do it for me. Take Sunset Overdrive for example. Everyone was blown away by the combat and traversal. It's fun distilled, and people love it. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get into it. Same with the Just Cause games. They are fun as hell... for 15 minutes. It's sounds kind of pretentious and cringe, but there needs to be something cerebral more for me.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Does it matter to you?
I prefer fun games. I find many genres to be fun (horror, rpg, puzzle, fantasy). However, there are games out there I could say by title that I personally didn't find to be fun like...
TLOU, most Final Fantasy games after the 4th gen, sports games *wink to EA*, and most visual novels...no offense if you like these

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Agreed. Games that are "just" fun really never do it for me. Take Sunset Overdrive for example. Everyone was blown away by the combat and traversal. It's fun distilled, and people love it. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get into it. Same with the Just Cause games. They are fun as hell... for 15 minutes. It's sounds kind of pretentious and cringe, but there needs to be something cerebral more for me.

Exactly .. Fun games are fun to play but not to fully experience what the real fun is imo . I can’t stand playing only for fun ! Can’t do that for more than half an hour

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Fun is important, but Hellblade made me realize that I could enjoy a game primarily focused on being an experience, as well.

It just really depends on what the creator wants to do, and what you’re interested. It’s great to see gaming diversifying in this manner.

CrysisFreak

Banned
No games are just supposed to tell us which opinions of ours are wrong and not compliant to the officially correct worldview.

iorek21

Yes, though obviously not every will be fun.

It's just like movies, you have the popcorn movies that you take a girl with, some friends, family and have a good time; and you have the more reflexive kind of movie, which you watch for something else.

There's space for everything, but I gotta say that fun games are very special, with A Hat in Time being one of the most recent examples

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fun comes on different forms, I’m having fun with games like Sekiro and Bloodborne as much as I’m having fun with game like Mario Kart 8, each will give me different “fun” but they are fun nevertheless.

DelireMan7

"Fun" is highly subjective.

You mentionned Dark Souls/Bloodborne lacking fun. I strongly disagree (if you don't find that fisting giant pig fun, you can't be helped ;)).

Yes fun is important.

Also the last option is fun for some people.

Hudo

No. I play it for the opinions and messages of the auteur, who, completely on his/her own, masterfully packaged them in his/her immersive experiences (what plebs call 'games') to make one think about humanity and the world, to gain new insight and make the world and society a better place.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Fun is subjective.

I tend to prefer stressful games like Fighting games, Sekiro, Bloodborne and surivival horror (on hard modes).

GreyHorace

EWoxTYCXYAAMVum.jpg

Wannabe Hollywood auteur Druckmann can go fuck off for all I care.

Kagey K

Banned
EWoxTYCXYAAMVum.jpg

Wannabe Hollywood auteur Druckmann can go fuck off for all I care.
Unfortunately most reviewers treat all games like a slog, while playing on easy, so the higher scores are going to go the the guy on the left (in that pic, instead of the guy on the right)

One can have a great gameplay loop with hundreds of hours of game time, but get a low score for not having enough “story” the other they are playing to get through and never touch again and it’s a 10/10.

This is why Metacritic and other sites are becoming more irrelevant.

GreyHorace

Unfortunately most reviewers treat all games like a slog, while playing on easy, so the higher scores are going to go the the guy on the left (in that pic, instead of the guy on the right)

One can have a great gameplay loop with hundreds of hours of game time, but get a low score for not having enough “story” the other they are playing to get through and never touch again and it’s a 10/10.

This is why Metacritic and other sites are becoming more irrelevant.

Story will always come secondary to gameplay. Sorry but that's just how it goes. I remember quitting Alpha Protocol because while I thought it's story was terrific, the gameplay was just ass. Meanwhile the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox has a nonsensical story but who cares? The level design and gameplay was tremendous.

DogofWar

No if I want to have fun I work overtime at the office. When I finally get home and can play video games I don't want to have fun. I want it to be a chore.

Of course.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Thinking on this, games like the Last of US 2, dark souls, bloodbourne, do not appeal to me because they lack FUN. I understand the real sense of accomplishment when beating a hard boss, level, etc. Often times between that accomplishments there is tons of frustration, cursing, some even break controllers.

I never played Souls games for the sense of accomplishment, though I get it when I beat a particularly hard boss. I love the atmosphere, this whole 'I think I just stumbled upon a game world where the apocalypse occured and I'm just wondering in its aftermath' feel those games give me. I love the design, I love the gameplay, I love the sense of solitude, I love the 'why the fuck even bother' mentality half the game's NPCs have, the bleakness of it all, yet there is a glimmer of hope further down the tunnel, a sense of ascension. The mechanics are fun and solid.

Yes, there is frustration, but I'm having a blast when I play those games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Story will always come secondary to gameplay. Sorry but that's just how it goes. I remember quitting Alpha Protocol because while I thought it's story was terrific, the gameplay was just ass. Meanwhile the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox has a nonsensical story but who cares? The level design and gameplay was tremendous.
That’s how it used to be, not so much anymore.

It used to be write a fun game and wrote a story around it.

Now it’s write the story, spend most of the budget on cutscenes and try to make a game that fits into it somehow.

Nickolaidas

Banned
That’s how it used to be, not so much anymore.

It used to be write a fun game and wrote a story around it.

Now it’s write the story, spend most of the budget on cutscenes and try to make a game that fits into it somehow.
Many games are like they used to. They're just not the ONLY games with the 'fun first, story second' mentality anymore. Now we have choice.

Top Bottom