• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dragon Age Inquisition worth $5?

Worth?

• Yes

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 39.3%

• Total voters

killatopak

It’s on sale right now and I was flip flopping between buying it or not.

I heard some good and some bad so I’m not sure about it.

Underneath the busy work is a genuinely good game with some excellent characters and storylines.

It's just under a lot of busy work.

Also Sara the Elf, the horrifuc love child of Joffrey Baratheon and Dobby the House Elf, is basically the videogame equivelelant of an Era Mod.

Thankfully however the game actually lets you disagree with her bollocks and, once you've got everything you want out of her, kick her out of your party and castle.

dottme

It’s ok and I did enjoy it. Like some says, there might be a lot of fetch quest.
for $5, it’s more than ok if you like the genre and you don’t have a backlog.

I haven't even played it but yes it's definitely worth that price. Even DA II is worth that price.
Dragon Age 2 is great if you treat it like a comedic parody of a Dragon Age game.

Pick the sarcastic options 80% of the time, and play Hawke as a roguish, overconfident, morally ambiguous, charming but slightly oblivious ne'er-do-well who just wants to have fun with his mates and earn money for the pub, and it's a genuinely fun game.

It's just pants if you wanted a proper sequel to Origins and Awakening.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It’s fun, you have to ignore some of the MMO like stuff and forget about completing everything in the area. If you go into it as a completionist it might kill you.

I say this as someone who wanted to do everything in the Hinterlands, before I gave up and realized I was playing it wrong (after about 15 hours there)

There is a fun game and a good story to be had.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was a decent game. The Multiplayer was flawed but fun. I doubt you'll find many people playing the multiplayer anymore and if you do, their probably very lonely and will be extremely geared. Being carried through the content is also not fun. Definitely worth 5 bucks for the campaign though. I'm curious to how it holds up today graphically actually. I own it, maybe I'll download it again just to see.

Kagey K

Banned
It was a decent game. The Multiplayer was flawed but fun. I doubt you'll find many people playing the multiplayer anymore and if you do, their probably very lonely and will be extremely geared. Being carried through the content is also not fun. Definitely worth 5 bucks for the campaign though. I'm curious to how it holds up today graphically actually. I own it, maybe I'll download it again just to see.
I never touched the multiplayer, but I always meant to.

I guess now isn’t the best time to jump into it.

I bought it for £5 recently, myself. I have to agree: there is a lot of busy work.

There's just a lot of ... everything! I felt rather overwhelmed at the beginning. I'm now about 12 hours in(!) and am starting to get a better grip on things.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
killatopak killatopak do you enjoy action RPGs, fantasy settings or the Dragon Age franchise?

If you answered yes to any, or all, of those questions then of course Inquisition is worth $5.

There is good stuff in the game. It has a ton of lore which the player can, optionally, spend hours going through in the forms of character dialogues & a deep codex. It has a wonderful crafting system which the player can use to create loads of cool weapons & gear. It has a ridiculous amount of quests which the player can, optionally, choose to engage with as much or as little as they want. It was a cross-gen game but still manages to look about 100 times better & more impressive than Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I could go on, but at the end of the day, it's 5 bucks. Almost nothing these days. If you enjoy the genre or the franchise at all, then of course it's worth that.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Did you of course play the previous ones? If not, you need to. It is a direct sequel after all. If you have played it, it is absolutely worth it even with the weak side-quests. You also need to play the the Trespasser dlc as it will most likely be the starting point for the new Dragon Age.

killatopak

killatopak killatopak do you enjoy action RPGs, fantasy settings or the Dragon Age franchise?

If you answered yes to any, or all, of those questions then of course Inquisition is worth $5.

There is good stuff in the game. It has a ton of lore which the player can, optionally, spend hours going through in the forms of character dialogues & a deep codex. It has a wonderful crafting system which the player can use to create loads of cool weapons & gear. It has a ridiculous amount of quests which the player can, optionally, choose to engage with as much or as little as they want. It was a cross-gen game but still manages to look about 100 times better & more impressive than Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I could go on, but at the end of the day, it's 5 bucks. Almost nothing these days. If you enjoy the genre or the franchise at all, then of course it's worth that.
I definitely enjoy any form of RPG and fantasy setting. This will be my first foray into the Dragon Age franchise though.

It’s not only about the price that’s making me hesitate, it’s about whether it’s also worth my time.
Did you of course play the previous ones? If not, you need to. It is a direct sequel after all. If you have played it, it is absolutely worth it even with the weak side-quests. You also need to play the the Trespasser dlc as it will most likely be the starting point for the new Dragon Age.
Unfortunately, I haven’t played any DA games. I have heard about it though. TRPG/SRPG enthusiasts seems to prefer 1 since 2 was a radical departure from 1. I heard 2 also dumps everything you did lore wise in 1. I really haven’t bothered to know more since then.

I would be buying the deluxe edition. Don’t know if the DLC is included in that version.

5$/€ more and you get Witcher 3. Far superior game imo.
I already have played Witcher 3. Great game.

I do want to know if the story or ost holds up. Sometimes those parts are what makes me keep playing a game no matter how janky it is.

Last edited:

killatopak

🤔
v4OZhLu.jpg

Last edited:

royox

Super good and enjoyable game. Forget all the ",but the mmo quest" comments. Yes there are millions of fetch quests, yes the game has +80 hours of gameplay time even if you skip all the fetch sidequests. Most of the haters of this game are obsessive completionists people that were 20h in the FIRST AREA trying to complete every single quests and got burned by the game even before it started so One advice: ABANDON THE HINTERLANDS.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Depends if you know the series (playing DA1 and 2 is highly recommended) and what else you've already played. Witcher 3 is superior in almost every way and it's a much better game to sink 100 (or more) hours into.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Super good and enjoyable game. Forget all the ",but the mmo quest" comments. Yes there are millions of fetch quests, yes the game has +80 hours of gameplay time even if you skip all the fetch sidequests. Most of the haters of this game are obsessive completionists people that were 20h in the FIRST AREA trying to complete every single quests and got burned by the game even before it started so One advice: ABANDON THE HINTERLANDS.

Nonsense the story and gameplay are just super fuckinf boring

Majukun

fr arouund that much i think you can actually get a month of ea access and play it together with other stuff for a month.

this being said the game didn't grab me at all when i played it but it's not a bad game per se

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Unfortunately, I haven’t played any DA games. I have heard about it though. TRPG/SRPG enthusiasts seems to prefer 1 since 2 was a radical departure from 1. I heard 2 also dumps everything you did lore wise in 1. I really haven’t bothered to know more since then.

I would be buying the deluxe edition. Don’t know if the DLC is included in that version.

That is true about DA2 however it's not a bad game with the exceptions being the environments and one specific character. I initally ahted the departure to a more action'ish type but it was fun. If you start playing from DAI you will miss out on a lot of story content and characters and the banter between them is tied to the previous games. Key characters from the previous game have huge story importance. Its your choice however I highly recommend you avoid it if you did not play the previous games and honestly you should play them. They've aged well and they're still amazing.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Is it the GOTY version on PC? I checked on Origin and it's not on sale. I played on PS4 but I would replay it on PC.

Don't listen to the haters and just buy it. Keep in mind that this game won GOTY and it's from Bioware so it became this huge target online. Better to ignore them and form your own opinion.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The only thing I legitimately didn't like was the focus on crafting and the sprawling home-base that took too long to get anything done.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely enjoy any form of RPG and fantasy setting. This will be my first foray into the Dragon Age franchise though.

It’s not only about the price that’s making me hesitate, it’s about whether it’s also worth my time.

Only you can really decide what's worth your time, but if you enjoy Western fantasy RPGs then I'd say Dragon Age is one of the best, so it's well worth getting into.

I would recommend starting with Origins though. There's a lot of lore & history to get your head around, which will obviously make better sense if you start at the beginning. Also, the story directly continues across each of the 3 games. The player experiences big events in one game & then deals with the repercussions in the next game. Not with a single character, like Shepard in Mass Effect, but still.

The Shepard

This came out a few months before Witcher 3, how embarrassing for Bioware.

It's a good job witcher 3 got delayed, would have eaten dragon age sales for breakfast.

To the op, I enjoyed my time with it even though it was a bit buggy, was as if you could see the games seams sown together because of the way it chugged from scene to scene. Looked gorgeous at the time of launch, Most likely still does. I also like how it connects to one of dragon age 2s dlc, but that's not needed to play it. I think the gameplay would have aged the most.

Makariel

It felt a bit like playing an offline version of World of Warcraft in places. Big areas with respawning baddies to farm and plenty of quests, but only the main quest really going all that deep.

I had some weird issues with GPU drivers that most character models looked like they were straight from a claymation movie.
hqdefault.jpg

Eventually the game crashed so badly it killed my savegame, and I had realised the last functioning autosave was more than two hours earlier. At that point I just gave up. It's the only Dragon Age game I never finished, and I even finished Dragon Age 2.

Riven326

Banned
Underneath the busy work is a genuinely good game with some excellent characters and storylines.

It's just under a lot of busy work.

Also Sara the Elf, the horrifuc love child of Joffrey Baratheon and Dobby the House Elf, is basically the videogame equivelelant of an Era Mod.

Thankfully however the game actually lets you disagree with her bollocks and, once you've got everything you want out of her, kick her out of your party and castle.
Yeah. You know, I've never actually kicked a BioWare character out of my party. Ever. Until Sera. She is a perfect representation of modern BioWare and many other Triple A studios these days.

Vawn

Banned
If you like the Dragon Age universe and you like longer, open-world western RPGs, it was easily worth $60.

If you don't have interest in that, the $5 is inconsequential - it won't be worth the 100 hours of your life to play something you wouldn't like.

I actually liked the game a lot. A huge step up from DA2. I got pretty invested in the Dragon Age lore at the time.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Awful game. I don't even understand how they managed to make a fantasy RPG so damn boring.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The green colors and the MMO style map were enjoyable at the time. There was a cameo of a wonderful (probably my favorite) character. Outside of that home base was a run through. I would test to see how fast I could get something done.

The MMO like maps were fun when there wasn’t a lot of busy things to do. Clearing out an area wasn’t horrible. I just never wanted to replay it. I will only play this series on PC. I’ve owned all their games in the DA universe and I’ll always recommend playing them on PC.

Top Bottom