• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Demon's Souls gameplay a PS5 system seller?

Is Demon Souls Remake a PS5 system seller to you?

• Total voters
Well not a system seller, but I have it preordered and it will be the game I play when pick up my PS5.

Had originally planned on Spiderman too but changed my mind.

Airbus Jr

Banned
No.

I think that the Souls series of games, while popular, are still niche. There are many on here and other 'hardcover that is excites for the game (with good reason...it looks awesome). But I don't think THIS game will move a ton of units or consoles with casual gamers

Their latest Dark Souls 3 made over 11 million copies

Time to put this niche argument to rest

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I'm the only one extremely dissapointed by the graphics and the game design of the next gen games showed so far?

I mean, they look good and they look fun, but they don't look like a big generational jump.

SilentUser

It is a impressive remake with gorgeous graphics and fast loading, all that on a beloved title, so of course it is a system seller. However, as always, I NEVER buy a console for a single game.

Holammer

I love souls-like games, but let's get real. It's a bit of a niche type genre and it's not going to sell to the general audience like Spiderman will.
Sekiro sold "poorly" across multiple formats while Spiderman sold well over twice the amount on PS4 alone. New COD and EA sports games sell and draw more users to a platform.

Personally I'm passing on consoles, I'm done with buying dust collectors for one game.

acm2000

depends what you class as a system seller really, very very few people will buy a ps5 because of this game who wouldnt have already been getting one since this game is a playstation exclusive and they were always going to get a ps5.

but that in itself is making playstation fans maybe upgrade earlier than they expected to, so, system seller?

it wont add sales from non sony ip fanboys, basically.

Rippa

Fuck yes it’s a system seller!

Demons souls even sold a system to my brother who’s never played a single souls-like game.

I’m training him with some Bloodborne prior to release.

GloveSlap

I'm not buying a PS5 quite yet, so I guess not quite for me. I don't think any single game would have pushed me over the edge. It is a bad ass launch game though.

Sony's collection of awesome 3rd person adventure game exclusives are going to get me to buy a PS5 in the future for sure. Especially since I missed most of the PS4 ones.

FunkMiller

People are over estimating how many hardcore gamers buys these souls games.

The casual crowd are not very interested in these hardcore games, but because of the drought in games it will probably sell well because of hype.

We really need to move away from this idea that the Souls playing community is some small niche of gamers.

Over 10 million people bought Dark Souls 3. The Souls games have sold approaching 40 million.

This is one of the biggest franchises currently.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
While I appreciate that a lot of people love these games and I'm sure it'll help move some systems sooner rather than later.. I've never really gotten the whole Demon's Souls thing, then again I'm not really all that into the whole murky, dull, dungeons, dragons, slash-y vibe. I also appreciate a challenge, but stupid levels of difficulty in games of this nature makes for a stunted experience imo. It disrupts the flow.

But trying to look at it objectively, I still find the game appears off. I understand Bluepoint want to be true to the original but the core movement/animation/gameplay looks incredibly stiff and old-fashioned next to the upgraded visuals. Saying that, I don't find the [gameplay] visuals that impressive either. There's some technically impressive stuff going on, but the end result -- visually speaking -- is considerably less striking than a lot of current-gen stuff.

Of course, it'd take a lot more work, but I think Bluepoint's stuff would be better served if they offered old gameplay / animation / control schemes and a modernised gameplay / animation / control scheme. For eg. having never player the original Shadow Of The Colossus, I tried the Bluepoint remake 6 months back and while it was a beautiful remake, the controls / camera made me wanna tear my hair out. It was torture, I'm absolutely in favour of the original systems being present for the sake of faithful presentation, preservation and their subsequent availability; but it needed an option for modernised controls / camera.

They seem to be taking too much creative license with colour grading and visuals; and not enough in animation, interaction.

Last edited:
Never played demon souls back on the ps3. Can someone tell me how these games are meant to be played? I was told there is no story to it, you just load different levels and kill as many people??

EruditeHobo

I have never played a FROM game for more than 5 minutes or so, and am almost definitely buying this to finally wade into that pool. I was always getting a PS5 day 1 though, so I don't think that equates to "system seller", but it's the perfectly tempting offering in this particular circumstance, for me -- the right product, with the right look, at the right time for me to dive in.

Last edited:

Warablo

Its not a system seller to me, I've already played Dark Souls 1 & 2, that's enough Soul games for me.

I'd say Playstation system seller is The Last of Us or Spiderman with its wide range appeal.

Xbox's used to be Halo and Gears, but its way past its time now to me. So I guess this gen its only Forza Horizon, until they're studios start rolling out more games to see the quality.

Last edited:

laynelane

Never played demon souls back on the ps3. Can someone tell me how these games are meant to be played? I was told there is no story to it, you just load different levels and kill as many people??

I would say there is a story to it. A land, Boletaria, has become enveloped in a fog. Within that fog, dangerous creatures and demons have come forth and very few humans remain - some of which have gone mad. Your task is to get in there and piece together what has happened and how to put an end to it. After completing a short tutorial, you're deposited in a hub area called The Nexus. From there, you can progress through different worlds via archstones/gates. Each world has three levels with a boss at the end of each level (there is an exception of one world that has four levels). All bosses must be defeated to reach the end of the game. Think of each defeated boss as a key to reaching the next one. And the defeat of all the bosses will begin the battle against the final boss and a resolution of what plagues Boletaria (there are two endings so that resolution will depend on the player's final choice and, in that sense, resolution does not necessarily mean happy ending).

There may be an idea that Souls games have no story because the games do not tell their story in a traditional way. Lots is left up to the player to interpret and so you will not see cutscenes, conversations, etc. giving you detailed information. Instead, reading item descriptions, tidbits from NPCs, environmental symbolism/story-telling, etc. are how you put the pieces together.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Demon Souls?

Mate.
You guys are vastly overvaluing the err....value of Demon Souls because you are on the gaming forums way too much.
Will it sell a few systems sure.....but system seller usually means a game that makes a bunch not just a few in the grand scheme of users actually buy the system for the game.

Demon Souls is not that game.
Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank are much more proper system sellers when compared to Demon Souls.
Internet gaming forum hype and Real world system seller hype are very different

DS is a cult classic but certainly not a classic that would make people need a PS5 if they werent planning on getting one early.

Do I think it's a system seller in the traditional sense? Nah. Do I think it'll mobilize a bit of the Souls community into buying the console? Yes.
Think about it this way. It's less than Bloodborne, because that was a brand new game. This is basically a visually upgraded Demon's Souls, so it'll get a lot of the Souls community buying it, but it's not a new experience for most of those people and for some the design will feel outdated if they go from DaS to DeS.
Bloodborne sold, what, like 3+ million? (Unsure on those numbers) I think that's a good sign of whether you think Demon's Souls is a system seller in the traditional sense. Bloodborne helped PS4 in the early phases and mobilized a community of hardcore gamers to buy a PS4, but overall its impact probably wasn't as great as it feels like in the enthusiast community.

Then again, who knows? Maybe it'll be a hit as a launch game? It's kind of hard to predict these kinds of things. Though I have to say that the people answering the polls are acting deluded.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
We really need to move away from this idea that the Souls playing community is some small niche of gamers.

Over 10 million people bought Dark Souls 3. The Souls games have sold approaching 40 million.

This is one of the biggest franchises currently.

Yikes. Seems like I'm a dying casual breed.

Yet I never really hear anyone outside Gaf talking about it.

FunkMiller

Think about it this way. It's less than Bloodborne, because that was a brand new game. This is basically a visually upgraded Demon's Souls, so it'll get a lot of the Souls community buying it, but it's not a new experience for most of those people and for some the design will feel outdated if they go from DaS to DeS.
Bloodborne sold, what, like 3+ million? (Unsure on those numbers) I think that's a good sign of whether you think Demon's Souls is a system seller in the traditional sense. Bloodborne helped PS4 in the early phases and mobilized a community of hardcore gamers to buy a PS4, but overall its impact probably wasn't as great as it feels like in the enthusiast community.

Bloodborne’s total market penetration is a bit skewed by the fact it was free on PS Plus, and was one of the services most downloaded games. It’s on about three million copies sold, but the free downloads could easily be double that.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yikes. Seems like I'm a dying casual breed.

Yet I never really hear anyone outside Gaf talking about it.
Sadly I just found one human being in my life, outside of GAF that plays and wants to talk about Soulsborne. ... So plus one for GAF?! :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_sad_relieved::messenger_peace:

Tiamat2san

It is for those who asked for a remake for years.
It’s not for the majority of the general video games players.

this kind of games have their fans but is not as popular as a call of duty for exemple.

FunkMiller

It is for those who asked for a remake for years.
It’s not for the majority of the general video games players.

this kind of games have their fans but is not as popular as a call of duty for exemple.

And again... Dark Souls 3 sold over ten million. Entire Souls franchise closing in on 40 million.

Come on gang, this weird inability to accept that Souls games are really fucking popular is quite bizarre.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

And again... Dark Souls 3 sold over ten million. Entire Souls franchise closing in on 40 million.

Come on gang, this weird inability to accept that Souls games are really fucking popular is quite bizarre.
Given 7,800,000,000 available players it is not that popular. Of course it's just a comparison. :messenger_winking:

Iam there, day one, and never played demon's souls.

This game is just so deep. With the QOL-changes and the upgraded visuales it will be special.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Nope. Souls-like games will never be system sellers because they don't appeal to a wide demographic, just the hardcore one. It will sell well after buying the system, but not as the reason to buy the system.

Spiderman on the other hand would be I'd think.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

To be on topic... YES!

Knowing Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, this remake made me pre order a Playstation 5.

Without it I would not be interested in owning the PS5, despite being a playstation fan.

Orta

Banned
Its not 'flashy' enough to be a system seller. People like us will wank over it but the average Playstation owner would rather buy drivel like Fifa on launch day.

Trumpeter

Neo Member
It is for me. I bought a PS4 because of Bloodborne, this has the same effect.

Would probably eventually have bought a PS5 anyway, but this game made me want to get one upon release.

I see absolutely no reason to buy an XBOX instead of using that money towards upgrading my PC, btw.

Mmnow

Its not a system seller by any means. The only people who are desperate to play this either were already going PlayStation or were already pretty committed to the idea of waiting for ports to PC.

But it's a super clever launch game. Its not super expensive, cause its a remake and that means you can save on a bunch of pre-production, but it's aimed almost exclusively at the hardcore gamer. It markets itself, and if it sells around 5m copies, it'll be a huge success. Any better is just gravy.

Thats before you consider its value as a PS+ game.

Not for me, but appreciate how clever a launch title it is.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Original game was good but not perfect. Magic was OP, more than any other souls game, for example. There are people that don't like hollow and world tendency systems(i played offline so i can't comment on that). They improved souls formula in every iteration(bloodborne-perfection) and it's hard to go back in gameplay wise. I don't trust Bluepoint about changing gameplay elements because they changed almost nothing on SOTC remake(except graphics, frame rate improvements, maybe some camera-control changes?). So i don't expect a perfect souls game, but i want to play it some day, just not day 1. It will be great to explore Boletarian Palace 1-1(my favourite place in all souls games) with that beautiful graphics.

Con-Z-epT

Its not a system seller by any means. The only people who are desperate to play this either were already going PlayStation or were already pretty committed to the idea of waiting for ports to PC.

But it's a super clever launch game. Its not super expensive, cause its a remake and that means you can save on a bunch of pre-production, but it's aimed almost exclusively at the hardcore gamer. It markets itself, and if it sells around 5m copies, it'll be a huge success. Any better is just gravy.

Thats before you consider its value as a PS+ game.

Not for me, but appreciate how clever a launch title it is.
Well put. :messenger_clapping:

But still underestimated!

Con-Z-epT

There are people that don't like hollow and world tendency systems.
I don't trust Bluepoint about changing gameplay elements because they changed almost nothing on SOTC remake(except graphics, frame rate improvements, maybe some camera-control changes?).
That's why Blupoint is so good.

They are being truthful!

Alphagear

Funny how people call the Souls games niche considering how much they have sold.

Yes when Demons Souls released it was niche but since then the series has become a staple for many gamers.

Demons Souls is gonna sell in the millions simply because of how popular the Souls games have become.

Add the fact that its the remake of a souls game many souls fans have not played.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
That's why Blupoint is so good.

They are being truthful!
I almost gave up on SOTC remake, as an old gamer who have played original on PS2. You have to make some gameplay changes in a remake, at least some quality of life improvements imho. But they are not the original team behind it so it can go both ways, risky stuff. They don't take risks that's for sure.

Vawn

Banned
What? A remaster of a PS3 game? How? People can get a ps3 right now to play it.
I think it’s even on PS Now.

not a system seller IMHO.

And why buy Resident Evil 2 on PS4/XBO? You can get it super cheap on PS1.

Stupid face.

Vawn

Banned
I'm the only one extremely dissapointed by the graphics and the game design of the next gen games showed so far?

I mean, they look good and they look fun, but they don't look like a big generational jump.

You're a hard-core PlayStation hater who says similar things about every PlayStation game, so this is hardly surprising.

Vawn

Banned
Demon Souls?

Mate.
You guys are vastly overvaluing the err....value of Demon Souls because you are on the gaming forums way too much.
Will it sell a few systems sure.....but system seller usually means a game that makes a bunch not just a few in the grand scheme of users actually buy the system for the game.

Demon Souls is not that game.
Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank are much more proper system sellers when compared to Demon Souls.
Internet gaming forum hype and Real world system seller hype are very different

DS is a cult classic but certainly not a classic that would make people need a PS5 if they werent planning on getting one early.

Go check the sales of the latest Souls game. If you think the series is still niche, you don't follow gaming very closely.

Con-Z-epT

I almost gave up on SOTC remake, as an old gamer who have played original on PS2. You have to make some gameplay changes in a remake, at least some quality of life improvements imho. But they are not the original team behind it so it can go both ways, risky stuff. They don't take risks that's for sure.
They will make QOL-Changes!

It is good that they are not the original staff! They want to remake.

The original game is nearly peferct. So with Bluepoint re-imagninating the sound and graphics and give the game the final polish, and the Bluepoint touch, it will be perfect.

Praise the blue point.

Tiamat2san

I didn’t say that.
I said they are not as big as the big hitters in the industry.
I am aware that they sell considerably more now than when the genre was created.
They could be bigger if they add an easy mode....😝😜😘

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They will make QOL-Changes!

It is good that they are not the original staff! They want to remake.

The original game is nearly peferct. So with Bluepoint re-imagninating the sound and graphics and give the game the final polish, and the Bluepoint touch, it will be perfect.

Praise the blue point.
:messenger_grinning: You are ready for day 1 mate, good for you :messenger_clapping:

Vawn

Banned
I didn’t say that.
I am aware that they sell considerably more now than when the genre was created.

The franchise never would have reached its current heights if they had an easy mode. People would have just turned the difficulty down and missed the entire point. I speak from experience.

Akhawi

Banned
No. The Souls series have never been a huge selling franchise despite being the best games on the market, and even Bloodborne only managed to sell around 2 million copies so far and that's one of the best games available on PS4. I doubt DeS remastered will be a huge system seller

DilWSTS

Unless they have drastically toned down the difficulty. This is 100% not a system seller. Whilst a great game and one i actually bought a ps3 just to play after completing all the other souls series games. This games systems are rough. The difficulty spike in certain areas is crazy. People will buy this game because its available at launch just like most launch titles. This is NOT sekiro, it is not bloodborne or any of the dark souls games. Its the first in that type of game and it REALLY shows. So unless bluepoint has essentially allowed for an easy mode this will not stay in people;s play pile for long.

Gamecube.
Gamecube wasnt huge but the game was amazing at the time And visually it was probably the best on consoles at the time.

Demon souls isnt the same game but better resolution From PS3
Its built from the ground up. Im sure they will add some things to the original like the 6th archtstone somehow.

Its a Souls Game. Yes its niche compared to other genres but its a big deal for Souls fans
Its gonna be more Dark Souls then Dark Souls 2
Oh I kinda remember that - look I’m gonna get demon souls - but I already was buying the ps5. It’s certainly the best game they have at launch exclusive to either console (don’t give a shit about spider man mm). But I guess when I think “system seller” I’m thinking more on like the level of Halo 1-3, GTA 3, Zelda etc

FrankWza

I don't know what it says about a console if the most hyped game it has is a remake of a decade old game... Something not very flattering

Regardless. It’s a PS exclusive remake.
I didn’t say that.

I think what they’re doing with some items included in that digital deluxe version is better than an easy mode. If it makes someone that feels like they might otherwise be overwhelmed if they have to grind for some items that make things a bit easier to start off with that’s ok by me. The difficulty is still there but it may save them some hours of grinding that they are gonna lose as a first timer dying over and over again and losing progress anyway. one issue with newcomers or those who are hesitant to play besides the difficulty is the time/progress you lose when you lose die.

Mmnow

Well put. :messenger_clapping:

But still underestimated!
I'm not convinced this will sell even 5m tbh. Infamous, Killzone and, most importantly, Bloodbourne never hit that, as far as I can tell. Uncharted 4 was the first big PS4 hit and that has mountains of universal appeal.

But time will tell!

Vaelka

I think it looks amazing and it sold me on PS5 day 1...

BUT

I think people forget that although FROM games are amazing games, they aren't massively popular due to the difficulty. That alone gives me pause in calling it a system seller. I think a lot of people will buy a PS5 but not a lot for Demon's Souls. The games are too difficult for a lot of the masses of gamers. I think everybody will agree the game looks amazing but I think a lot of people will pass it up due to the reputation of FROM games.

This, it's like everyone loves the Souls series more because of its reputation and because people respect he series and From Software.
But the Soul series is still a niche genre of games that very few people beat or actually enjoy.

I think that people just get hyped by gritty medieval stuff in general too, but then I don't think that means they'll actually buy it or they'll buy it and then just get frustrated and quit.
People need to remember that we're posting on a game forum and there's confirmation bias going on. Yeah, people who like the games are getting hyped and will be loud about it, but they're not mainstream games.
Big system sellers are quite simple.

It's also why fighting games are niche, because people generally don't want to work for their entertainment...
Mortal Kombat is a bit of an exception and is simpler and with fancy graphics and story mode. But it's also a pop culture phenomenom with the fatalities and all that. The people that actively play are quite few in the grand scheme of things and it's still simple for casuals to get through the main singleplayer content.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Go check the sales of the latest Souls game. If you think the series is still niche, you don't follow gaming very closely.

Dont Souls games do Saints Row numbers, not that Saints Row isnt a cult classic in its own right, but.....if Saints Row 5 was PS5 exclusive do you think we would make this same thread?

Top Bottom