• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Demon's Souls gameplay a PS5 system seller?

Is Demon Souls Remake a PS5 system seller to you?

• Total voters

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes that opinion was explained. I happen to still disagree. And note I'm not asking the enemies to pack any less punch or increase health or make the player invincible or anything else that your first sentence would require to even be remotely true. The game would be just as difficult but less broken to make you go back to start every time. It's right back to the hard part you lost on with the same health you got to it on before. Just as hard and just as much chance you'll die again unless you've improved.

That word doesn’t mean what you think it means.
The game isn’t broken, you just suck at it and don’t have any patience. Die and you are sent back 4 to 7 min at most.

DJT123

Nooo. It's potentially great but just another game to me. The only 1 game I'd get a PS5 for is a potential Persona 6, provided it was every bit as good as P4G, and unavailable elsewhere.

Kokoloko85

What system did it sell? And isn’t that a complete reimagining?

Gamecube.
Gamecube wasnt huge but the game was amazing at the time And visually it was probably the best on consoles at the time.

Demon souls isnt the same game but better resolution From PS3
Its built from the ground up. Im sure they will add some things to the original like the 6th archtstone somehow.

Its a Souls Game. Yes its niche compared to other genres but its a big deal for Souls fans
Its gonna be more Dark Souls then Dark Souls 2

Puncheur

I'm day one for Demon's Souls but I love that game so much. I can't imagine it shifting many PS5s to casuals. I question my sanity daily on spunking £70 for a reimagining of a 10 year old game.

Reactions: MrS

sircaw

Banned
This game will help with sales no doubt about it, best-looking game so far.

Saying that a lot of people will be returning this a few days after purchase and will be getting spiderman or something else.

Casuals will soon realize this is not a game for the faint-hearted, a lot of them are in for a huge surprise lol.

Last edited:

Psajdak

Banned
When it comes to PlayStation the only system sellers are the main Metal Gear Solid titles, Final Fantasy games, and Grand Theft Auto series.

Gloggins

Demon's Souls is the reason I have pre ordered a console. I've never done that before and never will again.

Demon's Souls deserves this irresponsible spaffing away of over half a grand.

So....no pressure, Bluepoint.

Vawn

Banned
Ms upgrades your old games for free “who would want to play this”?

If the Xbox Series automatically upgrades 360 games to look next-gen on the level of this, I'll buy 5.

is4rtyx1qj451.jpg

EFwBFWO.png

Last edited:

Aidah

The main reason I'm buying a PS5 at launch. Almost guaranteed to be great at the core, add to that the next level looking graphics and animations, a frame rate that is fit for gaming, instant warps and respawn, hell maybe even the Dualsense will add a bit to the experience. Its also meaty, so it won't run out quickly. Come Nov 19th, this shit could really make me feel like a new gen has arrived.

I should note that I absolutely love and have played every Fromsoft game to death, except for Demon's Souls (which I've never played), so this shit couldn't be any more perfect.

I'm just a little worried that Bluepoint/Sony could fuck it up, but hopefully not.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Seems a few were triggered, my condolences.

The animation and combat is just as bad as always... that is my opinion.

Ive been playing ninja gaiden 2... a game thats actually fast fun and fluid .. not clunky and slow.

There is 0 chance i would buy or play a remake of any of the dark soul series.

This thread is about what people think of the game ... so there is my opinion.

Terenty

I don't know what it says about a console if the most hyped game it has is a remake of a decade old game... Something not very flattering

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Smells like day 1 most people will go for COD, it’ll be a winner, they pump’d a lot of new things into it like most remasters do.

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
DS is certainly the most appealing PS5 title announced so far, imho. In that sense, yea, I think it would be fair to call it a system seller.

At the same time - what a terribly sad statement on the gaming industry, if the most anticipated next gen title is just a nicer looking carbon copy of an old game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People are over estimating how many hardcore gamers buys these souls games.

The casual crowd are not very interested in these hardcore games, but because of the drought in games it will probably sell well because of hype.

hemo memo

Gold Member
People are over estimating how many hardcore gamers buys these souls games.

The casual crowd are not very interested in these hardcore games, but because of the drought in games it will probably sell well because of hype.

The casual crowd have Cod and that is enough for both systems to sell out.

Ive been playing ninja gaiden 2... a game thats actually fast fun and fluid .. not clunky and slow.

Not exactly what you said. I think it's fine they you don't like Soulsbourne games as many people don't. But trying to place XSX BC enhancements in the same room as Demon Souls isn't correct in my opinion. The upgrades that you would get from a remake is vastly superior to the enhancements they you would get from BC.

I think Microsoft is doing a great job with BC but it really can't be compared to remakes in my opinion.

Ms upgrades your old games for free “who would want to play this”?

Sony charges for an upgraded ps3 game “triple a system seller everything you could want”..

Um how about a new game?

Last edited:
The Demon´s Souls remake will be the the most "next gen"-y game on the consoles at launch. Ofc it`s a system seller. Either directly for people who want to play it or indirectly by being used as marketing material.

Mobilemofo

The poll is pretty pointless. If your on gaf, you know about souls etc because your into gaming. If your a casual, you'll probably discover it at some point and either hate it or love it. Most I would imagine, won't finish it, given its more difficult than most, and move on to whatever generic or clichéd game is doing the rounds at the time. I could be wrong tho .

FrankWza

I thought this thread was about the game being a system seller?

It's funny that people praise a made up 11 year old game for 80 Euro like the holy grail. Can't remember that much excitement for the Dark Souls Remaster, maybe because it was cross-platform.
My dude look up Dark souls vs dark souls remastered gameplay on youtube, then do the same for demon souls vs the remake. Then, take into consideration that dark souls was on ps3, xbox 360, and pc, while demon's souls was left to rot on the ps3 exclusively. Then you'll clue in to why people are hyped for this and not DS remastered

Rickyiez

No .

1. People are still asking for "easy" mode , so not everyone is into Souls games gameplay loop yet
2. It's made by Bluepoint , not FromSoftware . Don't get me wrong Bluepoint did a great job in remaking a few titles , but FromSoftware is the only one capable of delivering the magical touch
3. Demon Souls is not a new IP , it's something people had played and most likely done with it in the past

If you want the next "Bloodborne" for PS5 , it has to be Elden Ring and nothing less .

I've got to agree Demon Souls Remake looks clunky , because it's not made by FromSoftware from the ground up . Bloodborne and Sekiro are definitely not slow and clunky .

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Its one of my favorite games of all time, but honestly, I kinda want to keep it where I played back in 09.

Arachnid

Yes that opinion was explained. I happen to still disagree. And note I'm not asking the enemies to pack any less punch or increase health or make the player invincible or anything else that your first sentence would require to even be remotely true. The game would be just as difficult but less broken to make you go back to start every time. It's right back to the hard part you lost on with the same health you got to it on before. Just as hard and just as much chance you'll die again unless you've improved.
I might be misunderstanding, but you mean doing away with the bonfire system and just putting quick saves before combat?

That's kind of problematic too, because it bypasses you practicing combat against enemies. If you kill a bigger mob enemy and then die to the mob that comes immediately after only to pick back up on the enemy you died on (after the first enemy you killed), you won't really learn the first enemy. Take Bloodborne for example. There are cases we're things just got frantic and I got initially lucky killing a bigger werewolf but died immediately after. Then I had to go to that same difficulty wall (the werewolf) and get a better understanding of it's combat patterns to consistently get past it to the next difficulty wall I died at. Making your way back to the boss through a gauntlet (or finding a consistently reliable way past) is part of the gameplay loop in a Souls game that teaches you how to fight the high variety of enemies. Without that system, I doubt I'd have learned combat against specific enemies as well as I have.

I definitely agree on stat relocation though. That should be in every souls game. Sometimes I just want to switch up builds on NG+ or something without starting a completely new character. Make it appropriately expensive (or in need of a rare item that drops 1-3 times a playthrough), but I hope they add it to this remake.

Mossybrew

Outside of enthusiast circles such as this board, I don't think there's gonna be a whole lot of interest in a old game with a playstyle that many "filthy casuals" rightly find tedious and frustrating.

The Alien

Banned
No.

I think that the Souls series of games, while popular, are still niche. There are many on here and other 'hardcover that is excites for the game (with good reason...it looks awesome). But I don't think THIS game will move a ton of units or consoles with casual gamers

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I might be misunderstanding, but you mean doing away with the bonfire system and just putting quick saves before combat?

That's kind of problematic too, because it bypasses you practicing combat against enemies. If you kill a bigger mob enemy and then die to the mob that comes immediately after only to pick back up on the enemy you died on (after the first enemy you killed), you won't really learn the first enemy. Take Bloodborne for example. There are cases we're things just got frantic and I got initially lucky killing a bigger werewolf but died immediately after. Then I had to go to that same difficulty wall (the werewolf) and get a better understanding of it's combat patterns to consistently get past it to the next difficulty wall I died at. Making your way back to the boss through a gauntlet (or finding a consistently reliable way past) is part of the gameplay loop in a Souls game that teaches you how to fight the high variety of enemies. Without that system, I doubt I'd have learned combat against specific enemies as well as I have.

I definitely agree on stat relocation though. That should be in every souls game. Sometimes I just want to switch up builds on NG+ or something without starting a completely new character. Make it appropriately expensive (or in need of a rare item that drops 1-3 times a playthrough), but I hope they add it to this remake.
No I just mean adding a couple bonfires before boss areas of having more shortcuts unlocked like there are on some levels

Concern

I don't think its a system seller. Its a game for the hardcore fans. Day one console buyers are mostly if not all hardcore gamers. So i expect it to accompany most launch Ps5 purchases.

However, most casuals still won't buy it when they purchase a ps5. So install base still won't be high imo.

Top Bottom