• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Demon's Souls gameplay a PS5 system seller?

Is Demon Souls Remake a PS5 system seller to you?

• Total voters
It's going to be bigger and better for PS5 than Bloodborne was for PS4. Yeah, I said it. In terms of graphics, the game looks gorgeous, better than anything From has ever presented, and the gameplay is a known and beloved quantity. There's no reason why this game can't sell 10m units. It's the must have PS5 game.
10 million??? I think you're dreaming, but each to their own.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I might be misunderstanding but you can reallocated stats.
Wait what? I platinumed that game and had to restart my character several times because I discovered I had spent too much on one stat and it made all the others way to expensive. The farming got to be way too much. I eventually just googled the best builds

Yoboman

Also worth mentioning that alot of people missed out on PS3 games because they were only on PS3 and Demons Souls has been locked there for 10 years

Its not a 1:1 comparison but TLOU Remastered sold a lot to people who skipped PS3.

Alright alright alright. Looking at the biggest selling PS4 games list, I may have overestimated here. 2m-3m may be closer to reality.
I think that's a fair shout. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of people trading it due to frustration, haha.

• Strength
Reactions: MrS

Yoboman

I think it looks amazing and it sold me on PS5 day 1...

BUT

I think people forget that although FROM games are amazing games, they aren't massively popular due to the difficulty. That alone gives me pause in calling it a system seller. I think a lot of people will buy a PS5 but not a lot for Demon's Souls. The games are too difficult for a lot of the masses of gamers. I think everybody will agree the game looks amazing but I think a lot of people will pass it up due to the reputation of FROM games.
Dark Souls 3 sold 10 million, Selkiro has sold over 5 million. Seems pretty popular

I just wince thinking of all the tears of frustration and disappointment coming. Assuming they didn't mess with the difficulty, this is a hard game even for Soulsborne veterans.

MiguelItUp

Souls games are interesting for me. I LOVE everything about them EXCEPT the gameplay. It has nothing to do with the difficulty, combat, controls, etc. The gameplay just isn't gripping to me, well, and in a lot of instances it's this element of jank that exists that I just can't agree with that always made me rage.

When Demon Souls originally came out I was on a QA team at a game studio and my director at the time told me about how amazing it looked and was. It was REALLY easy to be interested after the hype that was forming. I saw a couple of screens and videos, then went and bought a copy with him.

Initially I loved the art, music, sounds, aesthetic, everything about the game. That never ever changed actually. But the gameplay just didn't grip me at all. Then not long after there were moments where I got irritated about said jank.

Example, moments where I tried to attack an enemy and my weapon clashes with the environment, but the enemy's attack in the same area just clips everything all willy nilly. Being in QA at the time, it ran me up the wall. I remember bringing it up to fans of the game and they would always dismiss it as if it was some kind of gameplay element or charm, lmao. I was like, "Uhhhh..."

Eventually I got to that portion where the dragon swoops over you and you have to stop in the three different castle towers one at a time to avoid his breath before moving to the next one. I made it to the third one, was COMPLETELY AWAY from the door, and some how his fire breath clipped the wall and it killed me. I immediately stopped playing and sold my copy of the game, lmao. I was SO mad.

That being said I see what From Software has been doing since it's existence and I appreciate everything they do. I just accepted that the games just aren't for me for some reason I guess. Though I wish they were. I continue to give each game and iteration a chance to support them, but it just doesn't stick.

TL;DR: This remake will most likely get my attention as well at some point because it looks damn beautiful, but to me, it's by no means a system seller. But I know for a LOT of people it will be, and understandably so. People love them some Souls, big time.

Last edited:
I just wince thinking of all the tears of frustration and disappointment coming. Assuming they didn't mess with the difficulty, this is a hard game even for Soulsborne veterans.
I don't think it's that hard. I actually think it's one of the easiest Souls titles. A lot of the bosses are a joke. It also has the Royal class which is easy mode. I'm not sure any of the others in the series have a cheese mode like that from the off.

yurinka

In my case, I'm not a huge fan of the Souls games. I only played Bloodborne and loved it, but never played he other ones. I think this one looks visually stunning and being the first one in the series I think it's a great choice to be my next Souls, so pretty I'll get it but pretty likely will play it after Miles Morales and Cyberpunk.

Demon's Souls isn't a console seller for me, it's just one secondary reason more. I'll get the console because in overall I like more their exclusives than the MS ones (I prefer God of War, the ND games or Spiderman over Demon's Souls), and because the BC (I have a ton of PS4 games) or because most friends will get it. Then there are many for my taste, secondary cool exclusives that add their grain of sand than when mixed with tons of other ones makes the console worth for me.

this is not an xbox series S thread
To be fair we should make the same thread with the only Series X next gen launch exclusive: The Falconeer, and indie gmae made by a single guy.

Last edited:

phendino

Neo Member
Its a system seller for me but I'm probably going to be waiting until the spring to pick up a ps5/demon's souls. I don't like to be a day 1 adopter and get bitten by some bad launch issue.

Yall go ahead and take the bullet for me

Trogdor1123

Wait what? I platinumed that game and had to restart my character several times because I discovered I had spent too much on one stat and it made all the others way to expensive. The farming got to be way too much. I eventually just googled the best builds
Sorry, I was thinking deleveling. My bad.

sn0man

Article here: In the Demon's Souls gameplay, we see the emergence of a true PS5 system seller

====================================================
====================================================

With that introduction I pose a few questions:

Is the Demon Souls Remake hype real? Are you hype?
Is the Demon Souls Remake a true system seller in the traditional sense?
Did this game sell you on a PS5? Is this game the reason you're getting a PS5 day 0? Is this the game that's worth the $500 investment on November 12? Did you camp, lost sleep and/or line up for PS5 pre-orders because of this game?
We're only 5 weeks away. Can you fucking believe it?
Are you new to Demon Souls?

Only praise the sun likes allowed.

I would not buy a new Nintendo system on the back of a remake of Zelda or Mario of any kind so I do not relate to this game and it’s hype.

No, I am not convinced myself. If it is for some that’s fine but not me.

Yoboman

I would not buy a new Nintendo system on the back of a remake of Zelda or Mario of any kind so I do not relate to this game and it’s hype.

No, I am not convinced myself. If it is for some that’s fine but not me.
Would you buy a Nintendo system for a WiiU port though?

Dark Souls 3 sold 10 million, Selkiro has sold over 5 million. Seems pretty popular
There are 120 million units of the PS4, around 55 million units of the Xbox One and hundreds of millions of PC gamers.

10m and 5m is a drop in the ocean. And that 10m for Dark Souls 3 is across all three platforms as of May this year (four years after the launch).

Yeah, so again not a system seller.

ethomaz

Banned
An internet search says it sold 1.7 million. That's quite a few of us.
Which game?

Demon’s Souls shipped around 900k units only.

Edit - The only place I see that 1.7m is Forbes saying it is a sales estimated without any source to back it up.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Demons Souls for PS5 is a system seller for the ones that love Souls series. Its a great game as lauch title. And is the best next gen game at launch on any console. If you can achieve those graphics on a launch game just imagine God of War by 2021 or TLOU3 by 2024-5

Yeah, given Souls games generally being difficult or requiring patience to complete, it’s gonna be interesting to see the reception this gets. I think having a high difficulty without any training wheels options means it can’t really be a “system seller” but I think it’ll do well still.

Eliciel

Well I will never be able to re-live my experience with the original title that I had ordered after watching a Chinese Streamer playing the game for 20hours straight and then ordering my own original hong kong version of that game. Never will I ever re-live that, but it might be worth a try to play it in splendid graphics.

skneogaf

Not sure souls games are system sellers for 99 percent of gamers.

I want the ps5 black version whenever it gets announced and I'll definitely be picking up demon souls with it so I'm the 1 percent.

Yoboman

There are 120 million units of the PS4, around 55 million units of the Xbox One and hundreds of millions of PC gamers.

10m and 5m is a drop in the ocean. And that 10m for Dark Souls 3 is across all three platforms as of May this year (four years after the launch).

Yeah, so again not a system seller.
Ratio to console sold is irrelevant. 5 - 10 million is absolutely popular, which you claimed they weren't

Which game?

Demon’s Souls shipped around 900k units only.
This is what I read.

120514358_2728764624056745_4892505622122037402_n.jpg

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
this is going to be one of the, if not the highest rated PS5 game for the next 6 months.

If you think the masses aren't going to buy this, you are lying to yourself.
Ratings have nothing to do with sales. It's a niche genre. Get out of the enthusiast bubble and you'll realize this. Bloodborne hit two million copies sold and they stopped releasing numbers on it for a reason, regardless of it being one of the best games of all-time on a system with 100 million users. They don't move units, this isn't Nintendo with Zelda or Mario.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
How is this even a question? This is absolutely a system seller.

I was getting a PS5 day one anyway, but if this had instead been exclusive to ANY console, even some imaginary console with no other worthwhile games, I still would have bought that console just for BluePoint's Demon's Souls.

Top Bottom