• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Demon's Souls gameplay a PS5 system seller?

Is Demon Souls Remake a PS5 system seller to you?

• Total voters
Article here: In the Demon's Souls gameplay, we see the emergence of a true PS5 system seller

Bluepoint Games' generous reimagining of Demon's Souls looks like a launch title in the traditional sense, in that it appears to be delivering a degree of visual fidelity and fluidity that's seldom been seen in the games that have preceded it. Our first look at Demon's Souls gameplay presents an opportunity to understand the promise and potential of the PS5, particularly to those anticipating a return visit to the kingdom of Boletaria. I never for a second believed that a relic from the seventh generation would be the driving force behind investing in the outset of the ninth, but in Demon's Souls we see the emergence of a true system seller.

The power of the PS5 isn't just going towards some beautifully animated character models, it's also being used to good effect across the entire presentation. Outside the lair of the Vanguard, it's worth noting that gorgeous lighting and reflections, a true showcase of ray-tracing technology. The environmental detail and particle effects, to both enhance immersion in spaces and the combat taking place within them, is incredible, as too are the little touches – blood spatter on shields, wind billowing through leaves, smoke obscuring light, an actual thunderstorm at the Shrine of Storms. In this demo, we see just some of the benefits of the PS5's powerful system architecture, and what it can deliver when it is combined with strong and defined technical art direction.

There's one particularly impressive moment towards the beginning of the demo that those new to Demon's Souls might have missed; as the player character touches the Archstone they are warped to a new arena in a fraction of a second, that's a transition that could take 10 seconds on a launch PS3. If the speed of the SSD can be utilised all-throughout, including restarts following death, then this will be the most frictionless 'Souls' has ever been .

====================================================
====================================================

With that introduction I pose a few questions:

Is the Demon Souls Remake hype real? Are you hype?
Is the Demon Souls Remake a true system seller in the traditional sense?
Did this game sell you on a PS5? Is this game the reason you're getting a PS5 day 0? Is this the game that's worth the $500 investment on November 12? Did you camp, lost sleep and/or line up for PS5 pre-orders because of this game?
We're only 5 weeks away. Can you fucking believe it?
Are you new to Demon Souls?

Only praise the sun likes allowed.

TeKtheSanE

Idk why, but something tells me we are all overhyping this game.

I'm glad you are hyped D'Ghost

As for your questions:
1) Already answered
2) Define traditional system seller please I don't understand
3) No
4) Yes the next gen is getting closer and closer and the hype is real for both XSX and PS5
5) No, played the OG on PS3, game was never in my top 10 and I doubt this remake will change my mind on that

Last edited:

Yoboman

For me yes. I still never finished the original so revisiting it will be great

For most people, it being a remake is irrelevant. Demons Souls only sold 1 million, Dark Souls 3 by comparison sold 10 million. There is a huge amount of the souls fanbase to never play Demons Souls

Mister Wolf

No. Its a prettier reskin. If you repaint Mario Bros 1 its still Mario Bros 1. I feel the same exact way about the Link's Awakening Remake. For new players sure they should be excited its a great game but for me I "mended the world" already and spent tons of hours doing it. Where's Elden Ring?

Last edited:

For most people, it being a remake is irrelevant. Demons Souls only sold 1 million, Dark Souls 3 by comparison sold 10 million. There is a huge amount of the souls fanbase to never play Demons Souls

Overwhelming majority of people that will play this game and buy this game on PS5 will be newcomers. Splits won't be anywhere near close. It's gonna be a hell of an experience for a lot of new gamers too..

FunkMiller

This. You’re basically being a complete idiot if you think this is just a bog standard remake, to a game that is only being remade because it wasn’t that popular first time around.

35 million plus sales for Soulsbornekiro series.

This will be the biggest selling launch game.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Just imagine a world where the PS4 was about to launch and the best thing it had going for it was an HD version of "Battle Arena Toshinden"

njMkDOv.gif

Dr Bass

No. Its a prettier reskin. If you repaint Mario Bros 1 its still Mario Bros 1. I feel the same exact way about the Link's Awakening Remake. For new players sure they should be excited its a great game but for me I "mended the world" already and spent tons of hours doing it.

And yet Mario 3D All Stars is a massive, massive seller and nothing about the visuals were really changed. A good game, is a good game. Redoing a classic with some of the best visuals ever currently seen in a game, maybe to the point of doing the original vision "justice", could obviously be a system seller if it motivates people to buy the system.

I love the Souls series but calling a remake of a 10 year old game a system-seller is nothing short of a farce.

Unless, of course, people buy the PS5 to play the new Demon's Souls. :pie_thinking:

Edit: I already see people poo-pooing a ground up cutting-edge remake of a game from two generations ago, that also seem to champion higher frame rates on backwards compatible titles for another certain platform like that's the greatest thing since sliced bread and a huge reason to buy a new system. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

And yet Mario 3D All Stars is a massive, massive seller and nothing about the visuals were really changed. A good game, is a good game. Redoing a classic with some of the best visuals ever currently seen in a game, maybe to the point of doing the original vision "justice", could obviously be a system seller if it motivates people to buy the system.

Unless, of course, people buy the PS5 to play the new Demon's Souls. :pie_thinking:

I didn't buy that bullshit neither.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Nah. Add checkpoints and let you keep currency and make it possible to take back stat allocations or make only stats you increase cost more. Or hell just the last one would be good for me

Can't really vote in the poll because there isn't an answer that reflects my view point accurately. This game is surely going to appeal to a reasonable audience and maybe bring new people to the Souls franchise. It looks sublime, it'll probably play incredibly well. Bluepoint are masters of their craft but sadly I don't think it'll sell as many consoles as say Spider Man.

Dr Bass

I didn't buy that bullshit neither.

The point is millions of people did, and don't think it's "bullshit." You and your tastes (same goes for me of course) do not determine what is a "system seller". It's the behavior of the video game audience in general, and it seems like there is a lot of excitement for the game, for both brand new players, and those who have already played it. So if it helps push the PS5 it is literally a "system seller" whether people like it or not. If that turns out to be the case, well, that remains to be seen.

It's definitely not a question anyone here, or anywhere, has an answer to yet.

Riky

$MSFT
I played it two gens ago so not for me, the design and gameplay is based around PS3 so once the new graphics novelty has worn off that's what you're left with. Nice launch title if you're getting a PS5 but wouldn't make me want to buy one.

The only way a remaster would be a system seller for me is something like Killzone 2 which was actually held back by the hardware.

And DS3 has sold over ten million on its own.

A lot of people are buying this game 👍
I don't dispute that. I just don't consider it a system seller. It's an 11 year old game and serious Souls fans who may have missed it, have likely already found a way to go back and try it. As they should, it's a great game.

Mister Wolf

The point is millions of people did, and don't think it's "bullshit." You and your tastes (same goes for me of course) do not determine what is a "system seller". It's the behavior of the video game audience in general, and it seems like there is a lot of excitement for the game, for both brand new players, and those who have already played it. So if it helps push the PS5 it is literally a "system seller" whether people like it or not. If that turns out to be the case, well, that remains to be seen.

Well thats the point of this thread, I'm speaking for myself. Demon Souls remake does not sell me on dropping $500 for a PS5. Like Crash, Spyro, Links Awakening and any other remake I missed I won't spend more than $30 for that game.

Last edited:
Can't really vote in the poll because there isn't an answer that reflects my view point accurately. This game is surely going to appeal to a reasonable audience and maybe bring new people to the Souls franchise. It looks sublime, it'll probably play incredibly well. Bluepoint are masters of their craft but sadly I don't think it'll sell as many consoles as say Spider Man.

By popular demand. New option added (votes can be changed at will I think). Hopefully that's the one you're more inclined to vote for.

Fair point. In due time we'll know.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I don't dispute that. I just don't consider it a system seller. It's an 11 year old game and serious Souls fans who may have missed it, have likely already found a way to go back and try it. As they should, it's a great game.

Disagree. You still have to have a working PS3 hanging about to play it, and the majority sell old consoles to get new ones. I doubt many people from Bloodborne onwards especially have been able to go back and play it.
And I’m pretty sure most who played the original will probably want to replay it anyway - especially if there’s a chance of the sixth arch stone.

Barnabot

You were the Chosen One, GT7! It was said that you would be a launch title, not a delayed one. Bring the greatness of a true system seller, not leave it to Demon Souls.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
For me, in terms of exclusives, nothing else in the PS5 launch window is remotely as exciting. I just 100% completed Spider-Man this year and have no desire to go back to it so soon. Miles Morales will probably be decent, but it seems overpriced for a stand-alone game (we'll see how long it actually is when the reviews come out). The other thing about Miles Morales is that it isn't even an exclusive, and I already have a PS4 Pro. This really is the only exciting, exclusive AAA game to me for the rest of the year.

oagboghi2

It’s a system seller on forums and Reddit, it’s definitely not a system seller for the masses. You’re gonna find this game second hand rather quickly when the impulse buyers and casuals find out what it actually is.
this is going to be one of the, if not the highest rated PS5 game for the next 6 months.

If you think the masses aren't going to buy this, you are lying to yourself.

Haven't played Demon's Souls since 2008, and would strangle half of GAF to play it day one. Sourcing a PS5 is gonna be the issue.

Disagree. You still have to have a working PS3 hanging about to play it, and the majority sell old consoles to get new ones. I doubt many people from Bloodborne onwards especially have been able to go back and play it.
And I’m pretty sure most who played the original will probably want to replay it anyway - especially if there’s a chance of the sixth arch stone.
I would have bought it if the 6th archstone content was there. All accounts say it isn't. There's a photo of the Nexus which shows the broken archstone.

You can also emulate Demon's Souls on PC at 60fps.

I think it looks amazing and it sold me on PS5 day 1...

BUT

I think people forget that although FROM games are amazing games, they aren't massively popular due to the difficulty. That alone gives me pause in calling it a system seller. I think a lot of people will buy a PS5 but not a lot for Demon's Souls. The games are too difficult for a lot of the masses of gamers. I think everybody will agree the game looks amazing but I think a lot of people will pass it up due to the reputation of FROM games.

MrS

Banned
It's going to be bigger and better for PS5 than Bloodborne was for PS4. Yeah, I said it. In terms of graphics, the game looks gorgeous, better than anything From has ever presented, and the gameplay is a known and beloved quantity. There's no reason why this game can't sell 10m units. It's the must have PS5 game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom