• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone losing the desire for gaming?

kingfey

Banned
This generation is by far the best time to play video games. You get gamepass, and other subscription services giving you games for cheap.

If you are a pc gamer, you get to buy all the old games for cheap, or emulator for other old systems.

Despite that, I dont feel like playing games at all.
I took my break from gaming, did other activities, just so I can have fresh mind to play games again. Still, the same problem.

Same thing happened to me with movies. Having access to tons of movies, lost me the desire to watch movies. And now, I don't watch movies alot. It's being long time, since I actually bothered myself to watching a movie.

All that is left for me now, is just watching documentary stuff.

Is it me, or does having access to alot of content, whether it's gaming or movies makes you lose the desire for these entertainment?

playXray

I thought this for a while then I realised I was just playing the wrong games. 90% of AAA are basically the same two or three ideas rehashed and pointlessly gamified to the nth degree.

Try thinking back to what you loved about gaming in the first place and try to find some new games that scratch that itch.

MiguelItUp

Accessibility is great, but IMO quality is far from it. I know it's been repeated quite a bit here, but the past few years have felt, well, somewhat barren. Obviously it all depends on the person's preference. But games that I'm super hyped about are few and far between these days. Honestly I've been more into AA or indie games than AAA for awhile now. AAA just feels so money grubbing and "safe".

I grew up adoring MP games so much, and these days a lot of recent ones just feel so damn similar, and it's incredibly disappointing. I'm really hyped about Rumbleverse, but I'm worried it's going to be handled poorly and I'll drop it fast, lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it me, or does having access to alot of content, whether it's gaming or movies makes you lose the desire for these entertainment?
I’m in to very specific type of games so there might be lot of games out there but only handful of games I play because of my taste, this is also true with me with movies and TV shows as well.

kingfey

Banned
I thought this for a while then I realised I was just playing the wrong games. 90% of AAA are basically the same two or three ideas rehashed and pointlessly gamified to the nth degree.

Try thinking back to what you loved about gaming in the first place and try to find some new games that scratch that itch.
I am liking indie games these days. But finding the correct one is choir.
Its a hit or a miss.

bender

What time is it?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have lost some enthusiasm as I have grown older, sure. There's several reasons for this I think:

- I probably gamed way too much during the final few years of last generation, and being stuck inside so much during the pandemic didn't help. So like all things entertainment, over indulging can make what was once fun not as enjoyable over time

- Each year my salary has grown to the point where randomly buying a $60 - $70 game is an impulse buy. Hell, buying two or three of them at once is an impulse buy. As a result the hobby has felt less special to me, less valuable

- A lot of devs and publishers chase trends to the extreme these days. This has been an industry norm to some extent for as long as I can remember, but it never felt nearly as bad or extreme as it has these past six or seven years. With so many games merely aping other games (or doing things like chasing GaaS money) with few fresh ideas it's hard not to get bored with them quickly.

Back in 2013 or 2014 I would get absolutely wrapped up in Steam sales, PSN sales, watching award shows, etc. Now unless there's a game I am highly, highly anticipating and it turns out to be good from the word go, I just never get even half as enthusiastic for the hobby as I was back then.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Elden Ring ignited my gaming passion for a solid month. Forza Horizon 5 did as well when it came out, but it's harder and harder for me to get excited now.
I go in and out of gaming in spurts, but VR is really the only thing that has engaged me consistently. It's so much more immersive, but I also constantly feel the potential of it as I play it.
Another XB or PS game with graphics that are incremental at best over last-gen isn't as immersive or enthralling as it used to be. Everything is starting to feel the same.
For me, it's not just gaming. Movies and tv are heading down this path for me as well, so I've been focused on other activities and hobbies that I have been finding more fun and rewarding.

sobaka770

Banned
Yeah it comes and goes.
Age, responsibilities, life.

Let's face it - gaming is escapism. It's not at all productive so unless you're addicted, you will find more valuable things to do as life throws more shit at you.

It doesn't help that modern gaming is mostly Skinner-box, lootbox, season pass garbage most of the time.

Honestly, if not for Elden Ring....

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nah, I think you're just burned out. All the drama, hardware talk, acquisitions, etc tax you out. Take a break from the online stuff.

AAA gaming is trash now, but the indie A and AA games these days are great. You're on PC, I recommend checking out Squad and Insurgency Sandstorm.

THEAP99

Banned
Yes because it makes you feel as if you didn't earn it. It's less rewarding.

It's like eating so many donuts that it's not funny anymore. Diminishing returns

MiguelItUp

Elden Ring ignited my gaming passion for a solid month. Forza Horizon 5 did as well when it came out, but it's harder and harder for me to get excited now.
Elden Ring definitely ignited a flame in me that hasn't been lit since... DOOM 2016 I think? I felt like when I was younger that flame was constantly burning. But AAA gaming just continued to get worse, and worse, and worse. From monetization, to recycled or blatantly implemented mechanics from other games, it just got more meh. AA and indies continue to help the most when it comes to innovation and creative ideas. It'd be really cool to see larger budget games attempt to do things that felt more unique or like a breath of fresh air like we used to see.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I played it. Fun game. But it gets dull sometimes.

I feel like there is no stake for me in the beginning. I die, get awaken, and get new stuff and try it again.

Losing health and not getting it back easily is great though.

This is the issue really, back in the day it was easy to find a unique experience that you enjoyed. Now you essentially have to go looking, its a double pronged issue.

One naturally you will have refined your own unique pallet, the more you do something over and over the less you enjoy it, imagine listening to your favourite song for 10 hours on loop, it's going to loose some of its kick by the end.

Two back in the day the AAA big name brand games where some of the best the industry had to offer, this is now more so the exception and not the rule meaning you really have to put effort into finding a well crafted experience from a haystack of unproven developers, this takes energy.

Everyone is diffrent so really I can only recommend what I myself really enjoyed in recent years.

Games like Crosscode within the indie space really stood out to me, because you could feel the intent behind the experience to try and craft something that felt like an old classic but took advantage of the modern engines and horsepower to do things that where impossible back then.

Games like Horizon Forbidden West for example just feel like something coming off of a production line to me, with as many boxes ticked as possible.

Last edited:

Nydius

Lately I've been experiencing a bit of a roller coaster effect with gaming. I either really want to play, or I really don't want to play. I think it's an age thing thanks to playing video games now for the better part of 40 years. There's always an underlying "been there, done that" sort of feeling whenever I reach certain points in games. Sometimes I push through and it passes, sometimes it stops me in my tracks.

kingfey

Banned
Nah, I think you're just burned out. All the drama, hardware talk, acquisitions, etc tax you out. Take a break from the online stuff.

AAA gaming is trash now, but the indie A and AA games these days are great. You're on PC, I recommend checking out Squad and Insurgency Sandstorm.
I did 1 month time out, and it didnt help me out.
I thought that was the problem first, but its not.

I am missing a little bit puzzle. I used to game alot, and enjoy it. Now days, its 30 min max day, or 2-4 hour gaming a week.

kingfey

Banned
This is the issue really, back in the day it was easy to find a unique experience that you enjoyed. Now you essentially have to go looking, its a double pronged issue.

One naturally you will have refined your own unique pallet, the more you do something over and over the less you enjoy it, imagine listening to your favourite song for 10 hours on loop, it's going to loose some of its kick by the end.

Two back in the day the AAA big name brand games where some of the best the industry had to offer, this is now more so the exception and not the rule meaning you really have to put effort into finding a well crafted experience from a haystack of unproven developers, this takes energy.

Everyone is diffrent so really I can only recommend what I myself really enjoyed in recent years.

Games like Crosscode within the indie space really stood out to me, because you could feel the intent behind the experience to try and craft something that felt like an old classic but took advantage of the modern engines and horsepower to do things that where impossible back then.

Games like Horizon Forbidden West for example just feel like something coming off off production line to me, with as many boxes ticked as possible.
I was more of splinter cell guy. Finished 2 games, while halfway on blacklist.

Games like Horizon Forbidden West for example just feel like something coming off off production line to me, with as many boxes ticked as possible.
This is what I feel about gaming nowadays. Aside of few good games, most of the time, it feels like choir.

go to point A to point B to point C. No time to digest all the info, or explore the lore.

GametimeUK

I think I've lost the desire to stay on top gaming news, hyping up the next new releases and needing to know every nugget of info about absolutely everything. I used to put games that haven't come out yet on a pedestal.

But my desire to game is as strong as ever. Actually I think it's much better now I go into most games blind and don't treat releases like some monumental event.

Playing the games is where it's at and right now the games are great especially if you have a backlog of amazing titles.

SNG32

I was like this until PC. As the newer gens continue and triple A becomes the focus the creativity of games is dying. With steam and the amount of indie games that get released and me going back to playing old games from the past that I have never got into keeps it alive for me.

kingfey

Banned
Playing the games is where it's at and right now the games are great especially if you have a backlog of amazing titles.
I guess this is different for everyone. My catalog is alot, just from steam and epic. There are great games, which I downloaded, and ready to go now.

But the issue is, launching it. I cant bring myself to do that. I am at that point now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure a little bit. But I think that's because I like AAA games most and they are so rare these days. Only few titles per year. that and AA is dead and indie is hit or miss.
usually you can find amazing indie games but it's hard to find it., The forgotten city almost slipped past me.
Death Stranding, uc4, tlou2, last guardian. This is why I play games.
And I honestly miss these short linear games like gears trilogy or uc trilogy

Last edited:

Crayon

Mmm there is some kind of effect of having so much. While I'm still excited about games in general, I find that it's much easier to wait on games that I am excited to play. Also easier to write off stuff that is getting raves as something that I don't even need to look at. That often turns out to be a mistake...

Last edited:
I got you OP.

I got into gaming as a kid because it offered me a window into new worlds I'd never experienced before. Games that would let me experience things I could only dream of, matched only by my imagination or sometimes even surpassing it. It was exciting to jump into a new game, meet quirky characters and explore faraway worlds the likes which I had never seen. Grapple with untested but rewarding game mechanics that challenged me and required patience, thinking, and a degree of mastery. Be wowed by the marriage of story and interactivity through set pieces, level progression and relationships you develop with npcs.

These days, due to a combination of being old/having seen most of it before and many big games just not really pushing the envelope of innovation like they do before/homogenized due to risk, gaming feels kinda dull, and more chore than the escapist adventure I use to love. Is going around a huge map and checking off faceless enemy camps with stealth/bow & arrow/sword/gun, collecting what is basically litter on the ground everywhere really what I want to do with my time?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

Snap out of it OP, you’ll be back when you’re ready. Games are the best form of entertainment bar none, I don’t care what anyone says.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I did 1 month time out, and it didnt help me out.
I thought that was the problem first, but its not.

I am missing a little bit puzzle. I used to game alot, and enjoy it. Now days, its 30 min max day, or 2-4 hour gaming a week.
Classic burn out. Find a new hobby.

I've burned out of a ton of hobbies. I end up circling around eventually. I only casually played games from 04-2017, mostly split screen with my brother or friends and the OG Insurgency on PC. Not saying you need to take a huge break, but it would probably be good for you. Find something else to do.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
steam deck made me like indie games again. I guess games I find to ugly to play on my 32:9 rtx 3080ti set up look great on the small handheld

Danknugz

for me it's more of who is developing the games strangely. when i was a kid and i knew "adults" we're making the games it kind of gave them this somewhat authoritative mind-space where you kind of just went with it and appreciated what you got cause as a kid, in general you view adults as more knowledgeable. ( john carmack, miyamoto etc)

these days knowing that kids younger than me are designing games doesn't make me like them less, but i don't default to accepting them, they have to be really well designed and executed in order to "win me over". it also doesn't help that games in general are a lot more cookie cutter these days and somewhat lacking authenticity and ingenuity.

as far as VR is concerned I do respect VR but games well designed are far and few between. the VR games I do enjoy seem to have a higher general level of entertainment than pancake games, if i'm all in on a VR game interest wise, the base level of excitement is higher than a standard game. shame it's rare, hopefully that changes moving forward, but that also brings us back to my first point.

there is one exception for me and that's skater xl, i've probably logged over 1000 hours in that game but it's more of a sandbox skate simulator and i wouldn't really categorize it as a "game".

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sure. I post in the gaming forum and I'm looking forward to a few games, but the fire is dying out. I play maybe an hour a week. Sometimes a week goes by and I don't touch a game.

I just find my time is better spent doing other things. I prefer reading, going to the gym, spending time with friends and family, learning languages, cooking...... basically gaming is at the back of the queue for my free time. Whenever I do play games I'm always concerned that I'm wasting valuable time doing something more productive.

I guess I play game a little just to stay on GAF and so I can still talk about the hobby. If I gave up gaming complelty, then why be part of a gaming forum? However, I love the community here and don't want to leave, so I keep trying to force the enjoyment of gaming to keep up appearances.

Top Bottom