• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Alien vs. Predator Jaguar open-world or nahh?

Is Alien vs. Predator Jaguar open-world or nahh?

• yeah, absolutely.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • nahh, not at all, it is still the same key hunting.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • It's Metroidvania-esque

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • more open than most FPS back then, but not enough to be called open-world

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • I have another opinion that will write in the comments

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nope. Nothing what I stated has been debunked.

Again

Lol. Why was not it advertised as a Doom or Wolf killer if it is a dedicated FPS game? Why Doom was not a system seller for Jag?

Gee. Even an advert does not say that it is FPS. Why! WHyyyyyy!
Alien-vs-Predator-Jag.jpg

AVP is a shooter.

Looking at your history, you are also a big fan of Aliens and Predator games (ie. that Predator game that came out for PS4). So you got to admit, you got a bias towards these franchises.

I'd agree with anyone that says AVP looks better in terms of gritter textures and digitized character models. The game looks great in images when put up against a pic of Doom. However, Doom is better at everything else from speed to corridor construction to # of enemies coming at you at once.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Old-School critics say this:
All Game Guide (1998)
All in all, Alien vs. Predator is one of the few must-buy titles for the Jaguar, and is certainly worth checking out if you're a fan of first-person shooters.

Edge (Nov, 1994)

Alien Vs Predator has turned out to be a lumbering, lame and unfocused imitation of Doom that only the most masochistic gamers will get anything out of.

Comparisons with Doom or Wolfenstein 3D were frequent:

https://archive.org/details/Gamefan_Vol_2_Issue_11/page/n32/mode/1up?view=theater

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:GamePro_US_065.pdf&page=210

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:GamesMaster_UK_021.pdf&page=33

https://archive.org/details/games-world-05/page/n19/mode/1up?view=theater

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:UltimateFutureGames_UK_01.pdf&page=111

„Wolfenstein-esque“

„AVP is a good take on the growing first-person perspective, kill-everything games„ (or in other words, an FPS)

„Gamers familiar with Doom and Wolfenstein 3D will feel right at home with this first-person perspective, find- em and kill- em game„ (or in other words, an FPS)

„Doom-like first-person action game“ (or in other words, an FPS)

„Um auf Nummer sicher zu gehen, haben sich die englischen Programmierer an Doom (…) orientiert“

Newer critics say this:
and the atmosphere is much more suspenseful than all other first-person corridor shooters up to this point.

The finished product, much like the cancelled Lynx version, is a first-person shooter very much in line with design trends of the time. Labyrinthine levels consisted of 90-degree angles, frantic searching for key-cards, and, in a rather Wolfenstein 3D touch, not a single staircase to be seen.

If more first person shooters were made like Alien vs. Predator, then I would be a bigger fan. What makes this game so good, though, is that it throws out all conventions of the genre, and paves an entirely interactive one player experience. Each of the three games presented on this cart are different enough to keep you playing them over and over, and there is so little bad to say about the game.

Alien vs. Predator was top notch for the time. It was the next advancement in corridor shooters like DOOM, we fought off all the Nazis in Wolfenstein, and now we get to beat the Alien

One of the devs says this:
James Hampton acknowledged both Wolfenstein 3D and Doom as influences for the game, as he and Atari encouraged the development team to play games like them.

Wikipedia says this:
Alien vs Predator is a 1994 first-person shooter video game developed by Rebellion Developments and published by Atari Corporation for the Atari Jaguar on October 21 and later in Japan by Mumin Corporation on December 8 of the same year, where it became a pack-in game when the console was launched in the region. It is the first game in the Alien vs. Predator franchise to be developed by Rebellion.

On top of that the Atari Jaguar's Official Gamer's Guide, that clearly states it is an FPS.

Saying AvP is not an FPS is a hardcore delusion. About on the level as claiming Mortal Kombat is not a fighting game because it's so different from Street Fighter.

nkarafo

Nope. Nothing what I stated has been debunked.
Everything has been debunked. Several times.

Hahahah

Not only you continue to post some random opiniated video, by some random youtuber as some kind of "proof", you now even posting a freaking TV ad? Because ads have serious information?

LOL

"Do the math"

Boy, you are really somethign else.

Lol. Why was not it advertised as a Doom or Wolf killer if it is a dedicated FPS game?
Because if they tried to push a 10fps game with a Wolf3D like game engine as a DOOM killer, everyone and their dog would laugh their asses off.

This last post of yours made me laugh way more than it should. Thanks for that. If you are a troll, you are an excellent one. I really enjoy this.

molasar

Banned
There is. It's boring. Same corridors, same rectangular rooms.

Like in Doom. Also you forgot that in AvP everything makes sense. Just check drawn maps. Lol.

Only by you.

Oh, no! Not only by me.

That's because Atari was retarded and didn't push DOOM as the system seller. It was the only/best way to play DOOM without needing an expensive 486 PC.

Instead, they chose AVP as the one to market. And we all know how well the system sold, lol. That's what happens when you push games with archaic game engines that run at 10fps on "next gen" systems.

Lol. Both games were advertised. But one of them was tomorrow news. And we all know that system sold the most units thanks to AvP.

But he did. Carmack created a much better looking and much more advanced game that also runs much smoother.

Reality does not agree with you. Doom does not look better than AvP on Jag and the latter is not causing issues with framerate. Lol.

molasar

Banned
I had to watch some AVP videos as people in this thread are comparing graphics.
Have you watched footage from CRT TV sets?

AVP
- Bad frame rate

Obviously you did not play the game back then? Is frame rate causing any gameplay issues in AvP?

To me, if you like the early days of shooters with digitized graphics, you'll be more likely to pick AVP. If you like smoother scrolling games with more variation you'll pick Doom even if the colours and monsters are more cartoony.

Since when AvP is an FPS game like Wolf3D or Doom? Have you read arguments in this thread?

All Game Guide (1998)

Edge (Nov, 1994)

https://archive.org/details/Gamefan_Vol_2_Issue_11/page/n32/mode/1up?view=theater

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:UltimateFutureGames_UK_01.pdf&page=111

„Wolfenstein-esque“

„AVP is a good take on the growing first-person perspective, kill-everything games„ (or in other words, an FPS)

„Gamers familiar with Doom and Wolfenstein 3D will feel right at home with this first-person perspective, find- em and kill- em game„ (or in other words, an FPS)

„Um auf Nummer sicher zu gehen, haben sich die englischen Programmierer an Doom (…) orientiert“

Newer critics say this:

One of the devs says this:

Wikipedia says this:

On top of that the Atari Jaguar's Official Gamer's Guide, that clearly states it is an FPS.

Saying AvP is not an FPS is a hardcore delusion. About on the level as claiming Mortal Kombat is not a fighting game because it's so different from Street Fighter.
I don’t know why you keep trying this hard to argue with him. He’s obviously just here to troll. He won’t even answer my simple question lol

nkarafo

Like in Doom. Also you forgot that in AvP everything makes sense. Just check drawn maps. Lol.
AVPs maps are basic as fuck.

Oh, no! Not only by me.

Poll is about "what game you enjoyed more" not "which game has better graphics". You just failed again, didn't you.

Lol. Both games were advertised.
AVP was pushed more. As the killer app for Jaguar

But one of them was tomorrow news.
Of course. DOOM is one of the most popular and influential games ever made, even now it's community is huge and active, it still gets new releases in every new system, has an active speed run community, an active mod/map/wad community, etc.

The other one is tomorrow news. At least we agree on one thing.

Doom does not look better than AvP on Jag and the latter is not causing issues with framerate. Lol.
Doom looks better than AVP and the latter runs at 10/15 fps which is a huge issue.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
molasar molasar , you ignored my question earlier, and i would like to pose it again because I’m genuinely curious. There is no ill-will behind my asking this and I can see how it may have been confusing because I asked your thoughts on “Rebellion‘s“ AVP. What I mean to ask is, do you think Rebellion’s 1999 AvP on PC is a first person shooter?

I have not ignored any of your questions. AvP'99 is a dedicated FPS with other elements in a mixture. This is where emphasis is put on the most.

molasar

Banned
Wrong again.

DOOM (and especially DOOM 2) has many more different monsters to animate. And they all have different angles, like how you can see monsters from behind or their sides. The sprite sheet must be 10 times bigger than AVPs

Wow! Still did not make to the list of scariest games of all time. How come if they look better?

Oh no! kah Weng Chok with 643 subscribers put AVP in his "scary games" list!

AVP is officially "one of the scariest games ever" confirmed!

Lol. Somebody does not remember GameTrailers.

It is just a copy of video from it.

Because they are lower-res and lower-bit color? I mean, we already established that. AVP does this one thing better than DOOM. It's mentioned like 50.000 times already

Why! So much advanced, so much better. Lol. Why! Oh, why!

The game literally runs at 10 to 15 fps, lol. You don't see a problem with that?

Nothing that impacts its specific gameplay. Lol again.
Obviously you did not play it back then.

I have not ignored any of your questions. AvP'99 is a dedicated FPS with other elements in a mixture. This is where emphasis is put on the most.
Well, now I’m even more confused. Like 94, 99 has three campaigns. Alien, which is melee only. Marine, which is as FPS as it gets. And Predator. Like 94, 99‘s the Predator campaign has only one projectile weapon, the shoulder canon. Both game are exactly the same when it comes to campaign-based weaponry. With this information in mind, why is it that 99 is a “dedicated FPS,” but 94 is not?

molasar

Banned
AVP is a shooter.

Looking at your history, you are also a big fan of Aliens and Predator games (ie. that Predator game that came out for PS4). So you got to admit, you got a bias towards these franchises.

I'd agree with anyone that says AVP looks better in terms of gritter textures and digitized character models. The game looks great in images when put up against a pic of Doom. However, Doom is better at everything else from speed to corridor construction to # of enemies coming at you at once.

AvP is an open world game with FPS elements. Not an FPS.

I am a big fan of good products. For example I do not care about AvP2, AvP2010, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Alien: Isolation as games or Alien'79, Alien Resurrection, AvP, AvP:R, Predators, The Predator films. This is how bias I am to these franchises.
You did not play the game thus you do not understand what it really is. You just take it as some Wolf3D/Doom clone.

nkarafo

Wow! Still did not make to the list of scariest games of all time. How come if they look better?
There is no such thing as an official list. Lists are opinions. Everyone can make a video.

Also, why argue about it being a scary game? I'm sure it is for some. I didn't say DOOM is scarier, i said "i like it's hell/sci-fi atmosphere more". Atmosphere is a matter of taste.

Why! So much advanced, so much better. Lol. Why! Oh, why!
Well, yes. Doom is much more advanced, despite having lower-res sprites. Like WAY more advanced, almost a generation leap in game engine tech. That is established already.

Nothing that impacts its specific gameplay. Lol again.
Obviously you did not play it back then.
Low frame rates impact gameplay negatively in all games, during all times.

Me not playing it back then doesn't change the fact that 10fps is a shitty frame rate. Especially for a game that is depicted from a first person view.

I don’t know why you keep trying this hard to argue with him. He’s obviously just here to troll.
I'm not convinced he is a troll. I think maybe there's something wrong with him. Like, every new post he makes feels like his first one. Like that Adam Sandler movie with the chick who was reseting her memory every day.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
All Game Guide (1998)

And it proves what? How games were categorized back then? What rating criteria system was used?

„Wolfenstein-esque“

The same as above in regards to all you brought in your post.

Again. How games were categorized back then? Were you even born yet? Lol.
Is MK or SF a TPS because projectiles can be thrown? Or it is just an element but emphasis is put on punch/kick fighting?
Also this is how it works. If you want to implement some elements into your game you study works of others in the same matter. Learning how and what works. Thus so called influence. Lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AvP is an open world game with FPS elements. Not an FPS.

I am a big fan of good products. For example I do not care about AvP2, AvP2010, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Alien: Isolation as games or Alien'79, Alien Resurrection, AvP, AvP:R, Predators, The Predator films. This is how bias I am to these franchises.
You did not play the game thus you do not understand what it really is. You just take it as some Wolf3D/Doom clone.
Forgetting corridor shooter that got destroyed by Doom. Doom is a much better game.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Everything has been debunked. Several times.
Nope. Not even one of my arguments.

Hahahah

Not only you continue to post some random opiniated video, by some random youtuber as some kind of "proof", you now even posting a freaking TV ad? Because ads have serious information?

LOL

"Do the math"

Boy, you are really somethign else.

First video is from GameTrailers.

And people did the math, and acquired a better game.

Lol.

Because if they tried to push a 10fps game with a Wolf3D like game engine as a DOOM killer, everyone and their dog would laugh their asses off.

This last post of yours made me laugh way more than it should. Thanks for that. If you are a troll, you are an excellent one. I really enjoy this.

Wrong answer. Because it was not an FPS. Just a game with FPS elements.

Your cognitive dissonance is epic.

nkarafo

Wrong answer. Because it was not an FPS. Just a game with FPS elements.

Your cognitive dissonance is epic.
You do realize that when i say "10fps" i mean "frames per second" and not "first person shooter".

Right?

Last edited:
Lol. What question?
molasar molasar , you ignored my question earlier, and i would like to pose it again because I’m genuinely curious. There is no ill-will behind my asking this and I can see how it may have been confusing because I asked your thoughts on “Rebellion‘s“ AVP. What I mean to ask is, do you think Rebellion’s 1999 AvP on PC is a first person shooter?
Well, now I’m even more confused. Like 94, 99 has three campaigns. Alien, which is melee only. Marine, which is as FPS as it gets. And Predator. Like 94, 99‘s the Predator campaign has only one projectile weapon, the shoulder canon. Both game are exactly the same when it comes to campaign-based weaponry. With this information in mind, why is it that 99 is a “dedicated FPS,” but 94 is not?
These two. You answered the first already.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
AVPs maps are basic as fuck.

Lol. Cognitive dissonance again. Why they are in a shape of space base and spacecrafts? Why are there specific logical sections in them which make them feel like functional world?

Poll is about "what game you enjoyed more" not "which game has better graphics". You just failed again, didn't you.

Lol. Read comments there.

Of course. DOOM is one of the most popular and influential games ever made, even now it's community is huge and active, it still gets new releases in every new system, has an active speed run community, an active mod/map/wad community, etc.

The other one is tomorrow news. At least we agree on one thing.

Exactly. AvP is tomorrow news and Doom is yesterday paper. What is next GTA, CoD, Minecraft popularity?
Lol.
AVP was pushed more. As the killer app for Jaguar
Lol. How come? The both got magazine and TV adverts.
What was the difference in pushing?

Doom looks better than AVP and the latter runs at 10/15 fps which is a huge issue.

Lol. Nothing in Doom looks better than in AvP. And there is no issue with AvP framerate for its gameplay. Again you did not play the game.

nkarafo

Lol. Cognitive dissonance again. Why they are in a shape of space base and spacecrafts? Why are there specific logical sections in them which make them feel like functional world?
Shape of a spacecraft?

hHeULj8.jpg

Looks like a bunch of squares to me. Completely orthogonal and boring. Everything is made with 90 degree angles. Basic as fuck.

Lol. How come? The both got magazine and TV adverts.
What was the difference in pushing?
AVP was pushed as the Jaguar killer app by all magazines. At least in Europe where i live.

Lol. Nothing in Doom looks better than in AvP. And there is no issue with AvP framerate for its gameplay. Again you did not play the game.
Most things in DOOM look better than in AVP. And there is a huge issue with AVP's frame rate. 10 frames per second to 15 is horrible. It doesn't matter if i didn't play the game back then. I played it later. You can repeat it as many times as you want, it doesn't change anything. Frame rate was always bad.

Also, starting every sentence with "Lol" makes you look like a child.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned

Jag's AvP is an open world game with FPS elements in it. You are free there to do things your own way.
AvP'99 is a dedicated shooter with arcadey gameplay and other elements in the mix. Pred has more weapons. A speargun and energy pistol. A very short game. Each linear campaign or set of levels can be finished in 15 minutes. Then you have MP and skirmish mode.

Jag's AvP is an open world game with FPS elements in it. You are free there to do things your own way.
AvP'99 is a dedicated shooter with arcadey gameplay and other elements in the mix. Pred has more weapons. A speargun and energy pistol. A very short game. Each linear campaign or set of levels can be finished in 15 minutes. Then you have MP and skirmish mode.
Confused Little Girl GIF

molasar

Banned
There is no such thing as an official list. Lists are opinions. Everyone can make a video.

Also, why argue about it being a scary game? I'm sure it is for some. I didn't say DOOM is scarier, i said "i like it's hell/sci-fi atmosphere more". Atmosphere is a matter of taste.

Do you suggest that GameTrailers or Easy Allies suck? And they are crazy putting it there and not Doom 1 +2 or AvP'99?

It is better atmosphere which made it scary? I experienced it in it and I saw people myself being jump scared by it? I have never seen anything like this with any other game. I guess that I and other people had to be hypnotized or something if it was not AvP.

Well, yes. Doom is much more advanced, despite having lower-res sprites. Like WAY more advanced, almost a generation leap in game engine tech. That is established already.

Lol. More advanced and looks worse. Interesting. Why lower-res sprites? What caused this limit?

Low frame rates impact gameplay negatively in all games, during all times.

Me not playing it back then doesn't change the fact that 10fps is a shitty frame rate. Especially for a game that is depicted from a first person view.

Wow! No one noticed this negative impact in AvP's gameplay. I wonder why. Oh, wait. I know. Because it is not an FPS game.

You did not play it that is why you spread nonsense about frame rate. Back then no one was measuring it. It was all about if something is playable or not. If the issue was with frame rate you would say that a game slows down too much or is just unplayable. How old were you back then if you were alive? Lol.

I'm not convinced he is a troll. I think maybe there's something wrong with him. Like, every new post he makes feels like his first one. Like that Adam Sandler movie with the chick who was reseting her memory every day.

Another projection.

molasar

Banned
Forgetting corridor shooter that got destroyed by Doom. Doom is a much better game.

One is a dedicated shooter the other not. What do you compare here then? Lol. Do you want to compare sales between two on Jag? They were released close to each other.

Also AvP is not a corridor shooter at all.

molasar

Banned
Notice how he dismissed all your links and articles but his gametrailers list video is the gospel.

I did not dismiss them. I asked him about how games were categorized back then in comparison to current times and what rating criteria system was used? But I guess it is too complicated for him and you as well. Lol.
The GT video is an example that a game was special. Also you forgot to criticize the list yourself. Is it a bad one? Are their arguments wrong?

molasar

Banned
You do realize that when i say "10fps" i mean "frames per second" and not "first person shooter".

Right?

Do you realize that AvP is not FPS that is why there is no issue with fps in it? Also lol that you want to teach me about FPS and fps difference.

Read my previous comments again or get some rest if you are too tired.

molasar

Banned
Shape of a spacecraft?

hHeULj8.jpg

Looks like a bunch of squares to me. Completely orthogonal and boring. Everything is made with 90 degree angles. Basic as fuck.

Lol. Where is a terminal layout for SL2? I still see Med Lab, Armory there. Very useful and important info if you play the game. BTW SL2 is one of base floors and it matches a shape of the base, not a spaccraft.

AVP was pushed as the Jaguar killer app by all magazines. At least in Europe where i live.

So was Doom. And I do not remember it looking better on other consoles in 1994.

Most things in DOOM look better than in AVP. And there is a huge issue with AVP's frame rate. 10 frames per second to 15 is horrible. It doesn't matter if i didn't play the game back then. I played it later. You can repeat it as many times as you want, it doesn't change anything. Frame rate was always bad.

Also, starting every sentence with "Lol" makes you look like a child.

Nope it does not and there is no issue with frame rate. You did not play it back then and your mind was already spoiled by advancements in games and hardware while trying it on emulators. Not to mention it does not work perfectly on any of them. You just saw not properly emulated game on flat screen thinking that it is some Wolf/Doom FPS but it was not.

In your case lol is a proper term.

nkarafo

Do you suggest that GameTrailers or Easy Allies suck? And they are crazy putting it there and not Doom 1 +2 or AvP'99?
No. But it's an opinion. Liking a game's atmosphere is a matter of taste. Everyone has different tastes. There's no argument. It doesn't have to do anything with a technical comparison.

It is better atmosphere which made it scary? I experienced it in it and I saw people myself being jump scared by it? I have never seen anything like this with any other game. I guess that I and other people had to be hypnotized or something if it was not AvP.
Why are you even arguing? This is a matter of taste. If you and your friends were scare, good for you! I, on the other hand, was not. And that has nothing to do with comparing tech.

Lol. More advanced and looks worse. Interesting. Why lower-res sprites? What caused this limit?
Sprite resolution isn't the only thing that makes graphics good. Level architecture/complexity is far more important. Doom is more complex and is also smoother than AVP and also has dynamic lighting, all together making it look better overall. AVP only looks better in certain still screenshots. Because when it moves it looks like shit. But hey! At least i can admit there is one single element that looks better in AVP, despite me being a "Doom fanatic". You can't even admit AVP has shit frame rate (among other issues).

Wow! No one noticed this negative impact in AvP's gameplay. I wonder why. Oh, wait. I know. Because it is not an FPS game.
Doesn't matter if it's an FPS or Open world or a racing game. Low frame rate makes every game look like shit. You are just a huge blinded fanboy. Every single person posted here about frame rate has mentioned it's an issue.

Do you realize that AvP is not FPS that is why there is no issue with fps in it? Also lol that you want to teach me about FPS and fps difference.

Read my previous comments again or get some rest if you are too tired.
Doesn't matter what genre the game is, 10-15 fps is a slow, jerky frame rate for any game.

I did not dismiss them. I asked him about how games were categorized back then in comparison to current times and what rating criteria system was used? But I guess it is too complicated for him and you as well. Lol.
The GT video is an example that a game was special. Also you forgot to criticize the list yourself. Is it a bad one? Are their arguments wrong?
Nah, you just ignore everything everyone else is telling you in this thread. Or your memory gets reset whenever you read a post. You are alone here, everyone disagrees with you and your poll backfired. I guess by acting like a troll makes it easier to cope instead of taking the L. But don't worry, i will always be here to remind you, i'll never get tired of it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

As for the list, i agree for some games and disagree for some others. It's a list someone made, Wow. Happy now?

Lol. Where is a terminal layout for SL2? I still see Med Lab, Armory there. Very useful and important info if you play the game. BTW SL2 is one of base floors and it matches a shape of the base, not a spaccraft.
Every map in AVP looks similar. Every map is just squares and 90 degrees angles. The engine can't draw something different. Very useful and important info if you know how a game engine works. But of course, you don't post any proof to backup your claims.

Nope it does not
Yes it does.

and there is no issue with frame rate.
Yes there is. It runs at 10/15 fps. That's literally a low frame rate. Anything below 20fps is considered shit by 99% of people, except obsessed, blinded fanboys.

You did not play it back then
That must be the 30th time you say this. And i will respond with the same way: It doesn't matter. The game runs at a shitty frame rate despite me playing it. Even if i didn't exist, the game would still run at 10/15 fps. It would not magically run smoother if i did play it. And yes, 10/15 fps was slow even by 1994 standards. That's like Starfox on SNES, nobody is pretending the game didn't have a shit frame rate just because it's old. The only reason most people tolerated such low frame rates is because they didn't have a choice.

and your mind was already spoiled by advancements in games and hardware
And yet, i never compared AVP with newer games. I compared it with an OLDER game actually, which is DOOM. Your logic doesn't make sense because if it did i wouldn't care for DOOM either.

while trying it on emulators. Not to mention it does not work perfectly on any of them. You just saw not properly emulated game. Not to mention it does not work perfectly on any of them.
Ah, emulation. Another field where you don't have any knowledge about, yet still have a strong opinion nonetheless.

Phoenix is an accurate Jaguar emulator. AVP in particular plays perfectly on it and even Virtual Jaguar emulates it just fine. The longplay video in this thread is from an older version or different emulator. I have seen the game running on the real hardware and it's the same. But nice try trying to lie and convince me the game on the Jaguar runs smoother on real hardware. Your desperation really shows.

You just saw not properly emulated game on flat screen thinking that it is some Wolf/Doom FPS but it was not.
Unfortunately for you, both Phoenix and VJ emulate it properly. This means its pretty easy for most people to witness how shitty AVP plays with that slow frame rate and you can't lie about it. I'm so sorry.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
No. But it's an opinion. Liking a game's atmosphere is a matter of taste. Everyone has different tastes. There's no argument. It doesn't have to do anything with a technical comparison.

No Doom was ever scary as Jag's AvP. Then again if you want to compare technical stuff, explain why Jag's Doom can't handle AvP graphics? Lol.
Why are you even arguing? This is a matter of taste. If you and your friends were scare, good for you! I, on the other hand, was not. And that has nothing to do with comparing tech.

What tech do you compare in a thread about AvP being an open world or not? And every one was scared in AvP which is perfectly explained why in GT video. Even you would if really played it. Lol.

Sprite resolution isn't the only thing that makes graphics good. Level architecture/complexity is far more important. Doom is more complex and is also smoother than AVP and also has dynamic lighting, all together making it look better overall. AVP only looks better in certain still screenshots. Because when it moves it looks like shit. But hey! At least i can admit there is one single element that looks better in AVP, despite me being a "Doom fanatic". You can't even admit AVP has shit frame rate (among other issues).

Lol. AvP still looks better and more realistic without such complexity. Smoothnees would not change anything in its gameplay and dynamic lightning as well. FYI only Doom 3 made it to the list but was behind AvP. The bottom line is that between AvP and Doom the former is overall winner. People did the math and chose it over Doom. PC gamers were envious about it. Lol.
Prove that frame rate impacts negatively AvP's gameplay. I am waiting. Lol.

Doesn't matter if it's an FPS or Open world or a racing game. Low frame rate makes every game look like shit. You are just a huge blinded fanboy. Every single person posted here about frame rate has mentioned it's an issue.

No person who played here explained how its frame rate impacts gameplay negatively, you liar. Lol.

Doesn't matter what genre the game is, 10-15 fps is a slow, jerky frame rate for any game.

Lol again. Explain why it does not impact gameplay negatively. Oh, oh, oh. Because it is not an FPS. Lol.

Nah, you just ignore everything everyone else is telling you in this thread. Or your memory gets reset whenever you read a post. You are alone here, everyone disagrees with you and your poll backfired. I guess by acting like a troll makes it easier to cope instead of taking the L. But don't worry, i will always be here to remind you, i'll never get tired of it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

As for the list, i agree for some games and disagree for some others. It's a list someone made, Wow. Happy now?

Lol. I won every argument here. And you and others want to debate such things, you need to start being honest. The truth over nonsense always wins.
It is not about preferences or taste but about facts.

Every map in AVP looks similar. Every map is just squares and 90 degrees angles. The engine can't draw something different. Very useful and important info if you know how a game engine works. But of course, you don't post any proof to backup your claims.

Lol. Some random amateur wants to teach me about how games are designed. Look again at the maps and explain me why they are shaped like this? Why escape pod map is in a shape of the pod, Pred ship map in a shape of the ship and so on? Why so much attention to details back in the day?

Uh! Oh! Do you need more proofs?

Yes it does.
Nope it does not. That is why you cannot prove your nonsense about frame rate.

Yes there is. It runs at 10/15 fps. That's literally a low frame rate. Anything below 20fps is considered shit by 99% of people, except obsessed, blinded fanboys.

Who cares about some amateur people who did not live in 80s and 90s. No kid or adult back then was commenting and frame rate unless it was making game bad or unplayable. In regards to AvP it was not the case. Lol. Do you think that anybody was asking if a game runs at 20 fps or below? Lol.
Nowadays nonsense with frame rate is overblown too. I bet if no one was measuring it and creating content like Digital Foundry does then it would be like back in the day. Playable or unplayable.

That must be the 30th time you say this. And i will respond with the same way: It doesn't matter. The game runs at a shitty frame rate despite me playing it. Even if i didn't exist, the game would still run at 10/15 fps. It would not magically run smoother if i did play it. And yes, 10/15 fps was slow even by 1994 standards. That's like Starfox on SNES, nobody is pretending the game didn't have a shit frame rate just because it's old. The only reason most people tolerated such low frame rates is because they didn't have a choice.

Because it matters big time. Lol. How old were you in 1994? Back in the day bad and unplayable games were not tolerated. You cannot even approach this stuff objectively.

And yet, i never compared AVP with newer games. I compared it with an OLDER game actually, which is DOOM. Your logic doesn't make sense because if it did i wouldn't care for DOOM either.

Doom was released about month later on Jag after AvP. So you compare AvP with a newer game here. Lol.

Ah, emulation. Another field where you don't have any knowledge about, yet still have a strong opinion nonetheless.

Phoenix is an accurate Jaguar emulator. AVP in particular plays perfectly on it and even Virtual Jaguar emulates it just fine. The longplay video in this thread is from an older version or different emulator. I have seen the game running on the real hardware and it's the same. But nice try trying to lie and convince me the game on the Jaguar runs smoother on real hardware. Your desperation really shows.

Lol. And here I got you, Mr amateur.

When I started having fun with emulators you were not even aware that they exist.

Only Phoenix emulates it the best but there is one obvious glitch in it. Do you want to tell me what it is yourself or do I have to tell you?

You have not played the game on real hardware so you do not know what and how stuff should work. Try harder next time, you liar.

Unfortunately for you, both Phoenix and VJ emulate it properly. This means its pretty easy for most people to witness how shitty AVP plays with that slow frame rate and you can't lie about it. I'm so sorry.

Unfortunately for you none of the three Jag emus emulate the game properly. Bad luck for you that you could not play it properly on real hardware on CRT TV set. I enjoyed it back in the day connected to nice TV set with RGB SCART cable. Lol.

Last edited:

Danknugz

My friend had Jaguar and this game was ok but nothing like doom/duke3d with a mouse. Felt a lot like Wolfe Stein 3D with flat levels made out of square walls and corridors.

molasar

Banned
My friend had Jaguar and this game was ok but nothing like doom/duke3d with a mouse. Felt a lot like Wolfe Stein 3D with flat levels made out of square walls and corridors.

But of course it was not. D/W3D are FPS this one is an open world game which has FPS elements in it. Thus if you were expecting an FPS clone then it was not for you. Alien Trilogy was though. There are games that mix genres but usually emphasis is put on one of them.

Last edited:

nkarafo

No Doom was ever scary as Jag's AvP. Then again if you want to compare technical stuff, explain why Jag's Doom can't handle AvP graphics? Lol.
Opinion and then some nonsense.

Explain why AVP can't handle DOOM's frame rate and level desigh and lighting. No wait, i'll tell you: Because it's a basic, obsolete engine. Explain that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

And every one was scared in AvP which is perfectly explained why in GT video. Even you would if really played it. Lol.
That GT video is not a gospel. A game being scary/funny, etc is a matter of opinion.

Also, did you really find AVP that scary? God what a pansy! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Lol. AvP still looks better and more realistic without such complexity. Smoothnees would not change anything in its gameplay and dynamic lightning as well. FYI only Doom 3 made it to the list but was behind AvP. The bottom line is that between AvP and Doom the former is overall winner. People did the math and chose it over Doom. PC gamers were envious about it. Lol.
That GT video is not a gospel you loony. :messenger_grinning_sweat: It's just someone's opinion. Get a grip with reality. There must be 1.000 different "scariest video games ever" videos in Youtube. And every one may have different games in there. Simple logic that even a child could grasp. But i'm explaining it to you because you seem to have a problem.

Prove that frame rate impacts negatively AvP's gameplay. I am waiting. Lol.
No person who played here explained how its frame rate impacts gameplay negatively, you liar. Lol.
Lol again. Explain why it does not impact gameplay negatively. Oh, oh, oh. Because it is not an FPS. Lol.
Low frame rate affects all games negatively. That's a fact. AVP has laughably slow frame rate. Cry as much as you want behind these "lols" this is a fact about videogames.

Uh! Oh! Do you need more proofs?
Hahahah. Thanks for proving my point. A bunch of squares and 90 degree shapes. Completely orthogonal because the engine is too weak and basic to render anything else.

Who cares about some amateur people who did not live in 80s and 90s. No kid or adult back then was commenting and frame rate unless it was making game bad or unplayable. In regards to AvP it was not the case. Lol. Do you think that anybody was asking if a game runs at 20 fps or below? Lol.
Nowadays nonsense with frame rate is overblown too. I bet if no one was measuring it and creating content like Digital Foundry does then it would be like back in the day. Playable or unplayable.
People tolerated low fps back then because they didn't have a choice. And their standards were very low, that's why AVP was released at the state it was. You obviously have low standards as well and they never improved, that's why you are obsessed with a forgettable game that nobody cares about anymore. And i know this hurts you (because for some reason this is so important to you) so you can cry as much as you want, i won't judge you.

Doom was released about month later on Jag after AvP. So you compare AvP with a newer game here. Lol.
You are not very smart are you?

DOOM was released in late 1993. Jaguar port is just that, a port. And despite that, it still runs better, with a more advanced engine than AVP, despite the later being an exclusive made specifically for the hardware. Shows how shitty AVP's engine was compare to DOOM's. It's not even close, there's a generational leap between these engines and AVP was obsolete right after it was released. One of the reasons the Jaguar became such a failure of a console, because people thought AVP was the best the console could do. Probably had marketing guys like you. Hahaha, no wonder it failed so hard! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Lol. And here I got you, Mr amateur.

When I started having fun with emulators you were not even aware that they exist.
When i started having fun with emulators you didn't even exist.🤷‍♂️

Only Phoenix emulates it the best but there is one obvious glitch in it. Do you want to tell me what it is yourself or do I have to tell you?
Please. Do tell. For once, provide some useful information.

BUnfortunately for you none of the three Jag emus emulate the game properly. Bad luck for you that you could not play it properly on real hardware on CRT TV set. I enjoyed it back in the day connected to nice TV set with RGB SCART cable. Lol.
Phoenix and VJ emulate the game's speed and frame rate properly. It shows to everyone how jerky the game is so you can't hide it. Barely playable unless you have low standards, which you clearly do.

A small texture issue doesn't make the game look any different speed wise.

Anyway... Since it means so much to you, i will let you have the last word since you probably don't have anything else to do with your life. Most of the shit you spew is the same nonsense again and again anyway that have been debunked by me and all other in this topic already. And i don't really enjoy being on your level and responding in the same childish manner as you. I'm not going to fix your brain here, that's your neurologist's job. I will only respond to something new and interesting, if you can ever provide that.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Opinion and then some nonsense.

Explain why AVP can't handle DOOM's frame rate and level desigh and lighting. No wait, i'll tell you: Because it's a basic, obsolete engine. Explain that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not an opinion. Everyone who played this game or was an observer had the same experience. They were attacked by an Alien from behind and they did not expect it. Nothing like this is in Doom.

AvP has a dedicated engine and it is you who states that Doom's engine is universal. Lol.

That GT video is not a gospel. A game being scary/funny, etc is a matter of opinion.

Also, did you really find AVP that scary? God what a pansy! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Why people from GT and other parts of world had the same experience. Is it black magic or something?

This is the atmosphere in the game (which you never played on Jag) where silence with humming background noise puts you in the mood which is broken by unexpected, attacking Alien.
Works on every one. Even the most pansy girly boy in the world like you. Lol.

That GT video is not a gospel you loony. :messenger_grinning_sweat: It's just someone's opinion. Get a grip with reality. There must be 1.000 different "scariest video games ever" videos in Youtube. And every one may have different games in there. Simple logic that even a child could grasp. But i'm explaining it to you because you seem to have a problem.

Listen loony, GT people experienced the same thing like other people in the world. It is not a coincidence and no other game created this effect on such level back then. A king of 1994. Not everyone. GT people were gamers who experienced gazillion of games. Lol.

Low frame rate affects all games negatively. That's a fact. AVP has laughably slow frame rate. Cry as much as you want behind these "lols" this is a fact about videogames.

I am still waiting for a proof that some imaginary frame rate made AvP unplayable or unenjoyable experience. Oh, wait. You cannot do that. You can only play its glitched version on emu. Lol.

Hahahah. Thanks for proving my point. A bunch of squares and 90 degree shapes. Completely orthogonal because the engine is too weak and basic to render anything else.

Lol again. Your stupidity is epic. The game looks better than PC version of Doom 1993 and you cannot change it. A layout of maps is in a shape of spacecrafts and base levels. Thus it makes sense. Not some random mazes like in Doom or W3D. Lol.

People tolerated low fps back then because they didn't have a choice. And their standards were very low, that's why AVP was released at the state it was. You obviously have low standards as well and they never improved, that's why you are obsessed with a forgettable game that nobody cares about anymore. And i know this hurts you (because for some reason this is so important to you) so you can cry as much as you want, i won't judge you.

Lol. No one tolerated or even talked about fps back then. You seem to not be even born yet or be aware of your reality in those times if you believe in those nonsense. And what standards were low? Like a good or bad game? So you say that I have low standards. Then why I consider 1994 my favorite gaming year with Capcom's AvP, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country and Jag's AvP. These games are still good nowadays but Doom 1993 was boring even back then. So as you see, you ended up even more butt hurt. Lol.

You are not very smart are you?

DOOM was released in late 1993. Jaguar port is just that, a port. And despite that, it still runs better, with a more advanced engine than AVP, despite the later being an exclusive made specifically for the hardware. Shows how shitty AVP's engine was compare to DOOM's. It's not even close, there's a generational leap between these engines and AVP was obsolete right after it was released. One of the reasons the Jaguar became such a failure of a console, because people thought AVP was the best the console could do. Probably had marketing guys like you. Hahaha, no wonder it failed so hard! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You were never born smart and you still are not.

Jag's Doom runs on dedicated engine. And the game is still FPS unlike AvP which has FPS elements only. People did the math and chose the better game. If not for AvP. Jag would be dead by the end of 1994. There was a reason that everyone wanted AvP CD version and there were plans for AvPII. But a little boy like you who played on his daddy's PC could not grasp it.

When i started having fun with emulators you didn't even exist.🤷‍♂️

Only in your dreams, kiddo.

Please. Do tell. For once, provide some useful information.

Exactly. I knew that an amateur like you does not know it. Phoenix is the most functional emu for retail version of AvP but it does not display properly one type of door which spoils a visual effect.

Phoenix and VJ emulate the game's speed and frame rate properly. It shows to everyone how jerky the game is so you can't hide it. Barely playable unless you have low standards, which you clearly do.

Anyway... Since it means so much to you, i will let you have the last word since you probably don't have anything else to do with your life. Most of the shit you spew is the same nonsense again and again anyway that have been debunked by me and all other in this topic already. And i don't really enjoy being on your level and responding in the same childish manner as you. I'm not going to fix your brain here, that's your neurologist's job. I will only respond to something new and interesting, if you can ever provide that.

There three Jag emus and you do not know what is an accurate speed of emulation for AvP. You are just a delusional kiddo here who spreads nonsense and tries make himself a vg aficionado.

So as I expected. You did not have anything solid to present besides nonsense and lies. It was a huge pleasure to expose you here for who you really are.

I suggest you some shrink therapy for your issues. Perhaps it will switch a critical thinking in your brain.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Just as i expected. You just hurl my own insults back at me. At least have some imagination and make up some of your own. I know it's a lot to ask from a child.

I don't think you are an adult, your IQ and way of posting is that of a child. So whatever, you do you. Hurl these back at me.

You didn't provide any new information for me to quote.

I already mentioned the texture issue Phoenix has but you missed it 50 minutes ago when i edited it in. Because i knew you would brag about it if i didn't mention it. I don't want to give you the satisfaction.

But regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that it still runs at the correct speed. So the low frame rate of the game can be demonstrated on the emulator accurately.

VJ also runs at the correct speed, regardless any other visual bugs. So if anyone wants to witness how shitty the frame rate is, they can. Even though they can still just watch any Youtube video of the real console running the game. the proof is out there.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not an opinion. Everyone who played this game or was an observer had the same experience. They were attacked by an Alien from behind and they did not expect it. Nothing like this is in Doom.

AvP has a dedicated engine and it is you who states that Doom's engine is universal. Lol.

Why people from GT and other parts of world had the same experience. Is it black magic or something?

This is the atmosphere in the game (which you never played on Jag) where silence with humming background noise puts you in the mood which is broken by unexpected, attacking Alien.
Works on every one. Even the most pansy girly boy in the world like you. Lol.

Listen loony, GT people experienced the same thing like other people in the world. It is not a coincidence and no other game created this effect on such level back then. A king of 1994. Not everyone. GT people were gamers who experienced gazillion of games. Lol.

I am still waiting for a proof that some imaginary frame rate made AvP unplayable or unenjoyable experience. Oh, wait. You cannot do that. You can only play its glitched version on emu. Lol.

Lol again. Your stupidity is epic. The game looks better than PC version of Doom 1993 and you cannot change it. A layout of maps is in a shape of spacecrafts and base levels. Thus it makes sense. Not some random mazes like in Doom or W3D. Lol.

Lol. No one tolerated or even talked about fps back then. You seem to not be even born yet or be aware of your reality in those times if you believe in those nonsense. And what standards were low? Like a good or bad game? So you say that I have low standards. Then why I consider 1994 my favorite gaming year with Capcom's AvP, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country and Jag's AvP. These games are still good nowadays but Doom 1993 was boring even back then. So as you see, you ended up even more butt hurt. Lol.

You were never born smart and you still are not.

Jag's Doom runs on dedicated engine. And the game is still FPS unlike AvP which has FPS elements only. People did the math and chose the better game. If not for AvP. Jag would be dead by the end of 1994. There was a reason that everyone wanted AvP CD version and there were plans for AvPII. But a little boy like you who played on his daddy's PC could not grasp it.

Only in your dreams, kiddo.

Exactly. I knew that an amateur like you does not know it. Phoenix is the most functional emu for retail version of AvP but it does not display properly one type of door which spoils a visual effect.

There three Jag emus and you do not know what is an accurate speed of emulation for AvP. You are just a delusional kiddo here who spreads nonsense and tries make himself a vg aficionado.

So as I expected. You did not have anything solid to present besides nonsense and lies. It was a huge pleasure to expose you here for who you really are.

I suggest you some shrink therapy for your issues. Perhaps it will switch a critical thinking in your brain.
Relax.

AVP is a game that came out almost 30 years ago. How you can defend this game as if it's better than Doom is on you. But chill out. I just skimmed the Predator Hunting Grounds thread which you posted a lot in. You defended that game to the bone too. As I said to you pages back, you got a bias towards Aliens and Predator kinds of games. That's fine. I like COD and hockey games, but at least take some criticism.

You did the same thing in that thread defending any criticism.

And here's another Aliens game thread. The recent one coming out soon. People see the videos and don't like something or are skeptical and somehow you come in with excuses. And this game isn't even out yet.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Relax.

AVP is a game that came out almost 30 years ago. How you can defend this game as if it's better than Doom is on you. But chill out. I just skimmed the Predator Hunting Grounds thread which you posted a lot in. You defended that game to the bone too. As I said to you pages back, you got a bias towards Aliens and Predator kinds of games. That's fine. I like COD and hockey games, but at least take some criticism.

And here's another Aliens game thread. The recent one coming out soon. People see the videos and don't like something or are skeptical and somehow you come in with excuses. And this game isn't even out yet.

Damn. This can't be healthy.

molasar

Banned
Just as i expected. You just hurl my own insults back at me. At least have some imagination and make up some of your own. I know it's a lot to ask from a child.

I don't think you are an adult, your IQ and way of posting is that of a child. So whatever, you do you. Hurl these back at me.

You didn't provide any new information for me to quote.

I already mentioned the texture issue Phoenix has but you missed it 50 minutes ago when i edited it in. Because i knew you would brag about it if i didn't mention it. I don't want to give you the satisfaction.

But regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that it still runs at the correct speed. So the low frame rate of the game can be demonstrated on the emulator accurately.

VJ also runs at the correct speed, regardless any other visual bugs. So if anyone wants to witness how shitty the frame rate is, they can. Even though they can still just watch any Youtube video of the real console running the game. the proof is out there.

Nope. You did not know about a specific door glitch until I mention that no emu emulates it perfectly.

And you do not have a clue about accuracy speed.

nkarafo

Nope. You did not know about a specific door glitch until I mention that no emu emulates it perfectly.
I edited my post and mentioned it before you even brought it up. The time stamps are there for you to inspect them. I wasn't planning to do it because i don't really have to prove shit to you but i knew you would brag.

And even though i did answer about the glitch before you, you still brag.

You really seem to have some kind of mental issue. I skimmed through the other Predator thread and it's pretty evident. I don't really want to be the one that will cause a mental breakdown to you. Get off forums and get some help.

molasar

Banned
Relax.

Yes, relax kiddo.
AvP is a better and more interesting game than Doom. Yet it is not FPS. That is why you have seen gazillion of D/W3D clones but not even one of AvP.

Yes, I defended P:HG and I was right about it. And no I do not care about all products based on Alien and Predator franchise which I already mentioned in my other comment to you. It left you speechless.

And if you and others want to criticize something then do it constructively.

Again. A typical lack of constructive criticism. Not to mention expectations that all Alien or Predator games should be new iterations of previous ones in a style of AvP(FPS), A:CM(FPS) or A:I(?). Or a walking simulator with cinematic experience where gameplay is an afterthought.

Top Bottom