• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "2D-HD" the breath of fresh air pixel art needed?

Deerock71

both GIF

jaysius

Banned
It depends on the art style and the amount of skills put into making the 2D-HD, blending the backgrounds is key, some games do it horribly, when it's does poorly it looks like they really didn't put enough effort into it and it feels like you're playing their freshly complied from whatever tool project instead of a finished product.

Sundered comes to mind, it's a mishmash of art styles that just clash, combined with some assets that look like they didn't understand how to blend them into the art style they chose.

There are many examples, this one comes to mind first.

Spiritfarer is a better example of it doing a bit better, not still not perfectly.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The Octopath style was cool at first, but I don't want every 2D remake be done in that art style. I like variety. They can try different things to keep it fresh.

Crayon

What's a breath of fresh air is real pixel art. Games with 3d models rendered out to fake pixelated sprites look bad. Or at least it looks bad when it's obvious. Octopath sprites, 2d-hd or no, look like they are made by someone who knows what they are doing.

Whitecrow

Banned
Ori is the pinnacle of great art direction. Have you ever cried because you were awestruck by beautiful art?
DIdnt reach that point yet, but with Ori is understandable.

What I remember the most is the calm, peace and harmony after you release the water from the... water tree xd Ori have such incredible moments.

KXVXII9X

DIdnt reach that point yet, but with Ori is understandable.

What I remember the most is the calm, peace and harmony after you release the water from the... water tree xd Ori have such incredible moments.
That water scene was both really intense and beautiful. I think I finally breathed after I passed it lol.

darthkarki

I love HD-2D. Octopath Traveler 2 looks incredible.

Also, super looking forward to Project Terra, the next game from CrossCode dev Radical Fish Games:

My biggest complaint about CrossCode was the difficulty distinguishing terrain level/depth, this solves that beautifully.

Last edited:
2d-hd is an interesting spin-off, not mad at it, but it's not a suitable replacement for original 2d pixel art.

well-drawn, well-animated 2d pixel art is a treat, but requires a lot of artistry and time.
pixel art isnt where the money is these days, so we get a lot of amateurs producing pixel art, and it shows.

To me 'Pixel Art' is anytime you on purpose are trying to make things look like some old square block graphics with a modern day game.
Celeste is a pixel art game but Hollow Knight is not. Both have great gameplay.
I'm surprised to see that both these games are considered Pixel Art here on Neogaf.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
2d-hd is an interesting spin-off, not mad at it, but it's not a suitable replacement for original 2d pixel art.

well-drawn, well-animated 2d pixel art is a treat, but requires a lot of artistry and time.
pixel art isnt where the money is these days, so we get a lot of amateurs producing pixel art, and it shows.
i mean you act like it's one or the other when in reality you can have amazingly beautiful pixel art which also having beautifully sculpted 2D-HD environments. theyre not a mutually exclusive thing. especially considering how good a lot of Octopath's sprite work is

i don't like the look of octopath. seeing some other examples from other games i think they don't look as bad. actually they look quite good so maybe it's just something about octopath that looks awful.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Also, super looking forward to Project Terra, the next game from CrossCode dev Radical Fish Games:

My biggest complaint about CrossCode was the difficulty distinguishing terrain level/depth, this solves that beautifully.

that visually looks like such a gigantic step up from crosscode
i dont like how they enforce walls on you and force you into combat, though

i mean you act like it's one or the other when in reality you can have amazingly beautiful pixel art which also having beautifully sculpted 2D-HD environments. theyre not a mutually exclusive thing. especially considering how good a lot of Octopath's sprite work is
yeah but if you have a large appetite for pixel art, you'd probably prefer pixel art characters in a pixel art world... not some mixed-medium concoction. you get a lot more pixel art with the former.

Jinzo Prime

Shit, I want a Pokemon game that looks like this!

Exentryk

I don't hate pixel art, but prefer seeing some work done to make it more modern. HD-2D is just that, and I absolutely love it. I love games with similarly unique artstyles like Ori, Bravely Default, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Wonder Boy, etc.

jZ3prxV.gif

c39b49f0c71a7b2d32385ea97c95f5fb.gif

skikwXR.gif

Last edited:
Pixel art is beautiful when done right. I feel like higher-definition art has a greater chance of failure, though at the high-end there are a few successes. Cuphead notably is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

There's something about the expression of pixel art... something that has exactly as much information in it as to express the intended image but little more... I think it's the concision of pixel art that makes it so ideal in the eyes of so many.

buenoblue

Good graphics is good graphics to me. Could be 2d, 3d but good is good.

I think Octopath traveller would love look better without the crazy depth of field effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom