• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2022 the official goat year of gaming?

TonyK

I don't know if it's the best (PS2 era was amazing for me), but I will play Elden Ring, Horizon 2 and Cyberpunk in a row, so for me this is a truly amazing year.

Ryllix_

Some highlights from 1998: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft, Resident Evil 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Gran Turismo, Tribes, Half-Life, Marvel Vs Capcom....And this is just "some" of the games from that year. It is probably impossible to have a better year than that.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Fortnight isn’t good, ditto Pubg.

Persona 5 was over long monotonous,so much so the developer even thought so and released the rip off “director’s cut” that was so different you couldn’t just buy a simple upgrade to it.

Nier Automata? It was ok, extremely overhyped with its insane cult following.

Horizon ZD was really bad.

Destiny 2 was fun for about a week, then the shitty grind became apparent.

Uncharted Lost Legacy showed that you shouldn’t shoe horn gameplay like stealth into an engine and not alter how it the ai reacts.

Breath of The Wild was filled with issues, including shitty frame rate, item degradation and shitty dungeons/bosses.

The rest of the list is good though…

As good as Mario Odyssey was it wasn’t at the level of Mario 64 or even Galaxy.

As for “sniffing” 2017, as of right now this year is still loaded with delays that haven’t even hit yet, so yea.

So far 2022 has Elden Ring.
Seems like you're just tired of life, are you okay friend?

Lanrutcon

It looks to be a pretty good year.

But to be the best ever? It's got to get far, far more serious than just another Souls game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Is 2022 the official goat year of gaming?​

67kbq7.jpg

Let's just hope it ends well first.

EDMIX

Not even close. Everyone mentions 1998 but there were so many years that were incredible. This was holiday season on the PS2 alone in 2001:

8gcmxezthbk71.png

Sir, 2001 was fucking pure FANFICTION! We'll never have some amazing shit like that. A GTA, GT, FF, MGS, Silent Hill on top of new IP after new IP with Ico, Jak and Daxter and DMC, Onimusha.....massive

oxi-clean-but-wait-theres-more.gif

Halo, Smash Bro's Melee (aka the last REAL Smash Brothers),Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue 2, we was spoiled as fuck folks.

We are likely never getting such a fanfiction year again lol

Ico is also that underrated masterpiece that hopefully will get a remake.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Freak of a year who knows what 2023 will hold they’re experimenting with “seasons” and connecting open worlds with way more things.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
With Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, Sifu, Dying Light 2, and the others, 2022 has a lot of potential

Ceadeus

I miss the times when PC had some of the absolute best exclusives.
Exactly, PC used to have so many legendary exclusives game. Also, It was always so exciting to buy big boxed game.

They was always full of nice pictures then they included huge booklet and sometime accessories.

Dr Bass

Anyone else think we need a moratorium on this guy’s thread creation abilities? It’s to the point I know who is making these before I even open it. Yeesh.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Exactly, PC used to have so many legendary exclusives game. Also, It was always so exciting to buy big boxed game.

They was always full of nice pictures then they included huge booklet and sometime accessories.
And games on PC back then were almost a gen ahead of console.

EDMIX

With Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, Sifu, Dying Light 2, and the others, 2022 has a lot of potential

Facts, the likes of GT7, Horizon, God Of War, BOTW2, Starfield, Elden Ring hype

Maybe this will be seen as a more impressive year later on and because a lot of those releases didn't happen yet, we can't measure how that will be seen later. Starfield could flop and be bad, BOTW2.....ok that shit moving massive units lol Yet get my point though.

So many megatons in 2022, I wonder how we'll see 2023 in comparison.

What is next year even shaping up like?

Spiderman 2
Harry Potter RPG
Diablo 4 (not sure if that is a sure thing, I haven't kept up)
Suicide Squad

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No the only thing im excited for is starfield and BOTW2

Last edited:
Fortnight isn’t good, ditto Pubg.

Persona 5 was over long monotonous,so much so the developer even thought so and released the rip off “director’s cut” that was so different you couldn’t just buy a simple upgrade to it.

Nier Automata? It was ok, extremely overhyped with its insane cult following.

Horizon ZD was really bad.

Destiny 2 was fun for about a week, then the shitty grind became apparent.

Uncharted Lost Legacy showed that you shouldn’t shoe horn gameplay like stealth into an engine and not alter how it the ai reacts.

Breath of The Wild was filled with issues, including shitty frame rate, item degradation and shitty dungeons/bosses.

The rest of the list is good though…

As good as Mario Odyssey was it wasn’t at the level of Mario 64 or even Galaxy.

As for “sniffing” 2017, as of right now this year is still loaded with delays that haven’t even hit yet, so yea.

So far 2022 has Elden Ring.
You make it sound like Elden Ring is better than everything released in 2017 combined.

Woopah

I miss the times when PC had some of the absolute best exclusives.
I would say in general you get a lot less exclusives on all platforms than you used to, outside of first parties. The industry is moving more and more to be multiplatform.

GametimeUK

1998, 2007 and 2011 are three that come to mind. It's hard to think of my most recent "stand out" year, but it may have been 2016.

(Edit) wow quickly reflecting on it, 2016 was a phenomenal low-key year for me. Loads of games I never really discuss, but many games that turned out to be surprising.

Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
Doom
Inside
Overwatch
Forza Horizon 3
Titanfall 2
Watch Dogs 2
The Last Guardian
Dark Souls 3
Hitman
Firewatch
Battlefield 1
Gears 4
Final Fantasy 15 (hey I liked it)
Twilight Princess HD
Abzu
Dishonored 2
Pony Island

And of course Pokémon Go United the world.

I never knew quite how fondly I looked back on that year. I'm wondering if other years were better than I remembered too.

Last edited:
2020 was quite good too minus the Coronavirus and stupid political bullshit. We got 4 unicorns releasing within a month of time window. - DOOM Eternal, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Half Life Alyx and Animal Crossing New Horizon.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not 2011 yet.
Forbiden West was ok... a bit boring and tedious.
Elden Ring is phenomenal but too hard. I did finished it today though. No stamina or cooldown on bosses at all. constant aggression.

2011.... gears 3, uc3, portal2, saints row3, skyrim, Dark Souls, Dead Space2, Witcher2, Arkham City, Crysis2, Bastion, Deus Ex HR, to name a very few

Last edited:
Top Bottom