• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ironheart Will Debut in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Did Wakanda stop being an ethno-state after the end of the first film?

That's an actual question, I don't watch modern Hollywood garbage.

Come to think of it, no it didn't. They're against immigration and the first film confirmed they're even against bringing in refugees.

That combined with they're an absolute monarchy with disagreements to rule being settled in armed combat......damn.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Come to think of it, no it didn't. They're against immigration and the first film confirmed they're even against bringing in refugees.

That combined with they're an absolute monarchy with disagreements to rule being settled in armed combat......damn.

Yea, but I mean is anyone also criticizing the backwards structures of other fantasy civilizations like Atlantis or Themyscira, or I don't know, Camelot? Or even more obscure comic book nations like Khandaq? Feels weird to single out Wakanda for their faults - all of which are not meant to be celebrated by the way. Killmonger torched T'Challa and Wakanda, after all, with his well-found and deserved disdain. The viewers were not meant to think that these were positive traits and behaviors of a functioning state - certainly not one that had the power to change the world.

Context is important, I guess.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Yea, but I mean is anyone also criticizing the backwards structures of other fantasy civilizations like Atlantis or Themyscira, or I don't know, Camelot? Or even more obscure comic book nations like Khandaq? Feels weird to single out Wakanda for their faults - all of which are not meant to be celebrated by the way. Killmonger torched T'Challa and Wakanda, after all, with his well-found and deserved disdain. The viewers were not meant to think that these were positive traits and behaviors of a functioning state - certainly not one that had the power to change the world.

Context is important, I guess.

Wakanda is set in the modern world and is a member of the UN.

Yet, they have an absolute monarchy and distrust outsiders. That's really problematic. Disney need to abolish the monarchy and open up Wakanda to the rest of the world.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Yet, they have an absolute monarchy and distrust outsiders. That's really problematic. Disney need to abolish the monarchy and open up Wakanda to the rest of the world.

I thought T'Challa did in the end? Opened an embassy in New York and all.

IDKFA

I thought T'Challa did in the end? Opened an embassy in New York and all.

It's still not opened up. They need to take in people from other nations and start accepting refugees. In addition to this, it's clear from the trailer that the monarchy is still in place.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's still not opened up. They need to take in people from other nations and start accepting refugees. In addition to this, it's clear from the trailer that the monarchy is still in place.

They were also instrumental in saving the world. It wasn't like they turned their backs on earth and The Avengers during the Infinity War, or T'Challa came back after being dusted and was like "OK rest of the world, we're going back to isolationism, good luck". There's probably some parallels here that could be drawn to various world powers over the years.

Just saying I don't think it's so cut and dry, and traditions take time to break. Wonder Woman didn't immediately return to her island and suggest that the world of Men should have a place in their government either after her escapades during the first world war. Only that they shouldn't be so isolationist.

Eh whatever. Comic books.

Last edited:

TheMan

Yeah I’m cooling big time on the MCU. I didn’t even bother to stream the new dr strange on d+ before our sub ran out. This character seems cool but I don’t think my interest will really be rekindled until the X-men (and I do mean X-men, not some random kid mutants) are integrated

MastaKiiLA

Probably heading in that direction IMO. The end of the first film saw them opening up a bit. They've been actively participating with other nations in their strategic defense pre-/post-blip. Seems logical to abolish some of the arcane structures that could only exist when the country was still hidden away from the eyes of the outside world. T'Challa being a major critic of the isolationism means they can't go back on that, so they should advance their political structure to match their advanced technology. It's just too jarring a disparity at this point.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Probably heading in that direction IMO. The end of the first film saw them opening up a bit. They've been actively participating with other nations in their strategic defense pre-/post-blip. Seems logical to abolish some of the arcane structures that could only exist when the country was still hidden away from the eyes of the outside world. T'Challa being a major critic of the isolationism means they can't go back on that, so they should advance their political structure to match their advanced technology. It's just too jarring a disparity at this point.
Well, hopefully Martin Freemans character will teach the Wakandans about fair elections instead of brutal pit fighting, the need for a governing body based on merit instead of bloodline, and instill in them a sense of democracy and openness in order to drag Wakanda from the depths of barbar.......oh shit :p

I suspect it will be handled much like it was in New Asgard. Change will just happen, magically, without much comment or debate. Asgard apparently abandoned THOUSANDS OF YEARS of rule by Odin (and his ancestors?) in the span of a year or 2 and went with an appointed leader (did Valkyrie win an election yet or is still in charge because Thor appointed her?) with a very unclear route of succession despite her use of the King title. Will her kids inherit the title? Will some 4th cousin on Odins mothers side, Tyr perhaps, show up to challenge the claim? Will she just hand it off to Axl at some point (seems the most likely to me) with everyone just chill about it because Asgardian god powers seem to be inconsistently applied to people?

Granted, Asgard is reeling from what is basically a civilization ending event, maybe Wakanda is as well if they do get flooded out and lose monopoly of the vibranium horde. If the MCU starts having multiple diasporas of hyper-advanced peoples across the Earth I'm curious where the more mundane folks will fit in and what reaction the "normies" will have to suddenly being behind the power curve. I suspect there will be a LOT more SWORD helicarriers in the future :p

Top Bottom