• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iranian developer accused of unislamic content.

Holammer

This tweet caught my eye. Iranian developer Dead Mage got a summons because of their recent game.

Imperfect Google Translation: We were summoned to the Moral Security Police today to file a complaint against the children of Morta. It is said that there is dance in the game, there is no veil, no mention of God, magic is used to fight the demons and there is a funeral that is not Islamic. The next step is to go to court.
I wonder if this is part of an ongoing moral panic in Iran because of "recent events". Any persian speaking gaffers that can clue us in as this develops?

Children of Morta currently has a 92% 'very positive' user rating on Steam with 4k reviews. Clearly an above average title.

TLZ

Banned
Had no idea Children of Morta was developed in Iran. I bought it during the holiday sale and was looking forward to giving it a try. Hope these devs make it out OK.
I had no idea as well. Just bought it recently too. Very interesting.

Coflash

Iranian developer accused of unislamic content.

I wonder what a game using only Islamic content would look like. Probably something obscure that nobody would give a shit about.

But then, they'd probably be just in much trouble for creating something consisting of only Islamic content, misrepresentation and so on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Like the violent suppression of protests in Iran last month? Oh, you handwaved those too.

May we have your permission to discuss how this Iranian dev is being treated by their government?

i think talking about a potential war between iran and usa is more urgent right now than some dumb video game.

it feels more pol related but sure, is the game any good?
Haven't played but I've heard good things.

My point though was more that this is a relevant place to discuss the topic. There's a tinge of pol, yes, but this is about an event directly affecting a game developer and, potentially, the fate of their game and studio going forward.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
i think talking about a potential war between iran and usa is more urgent right now than some dumb video game.
Don't you see, USA has to go to war to liberate Iranians from themselves just like Afghanistan and Iraq, such incidents only reinforce how right Trump is! Because in America everything is perfect, from the n-killing police to the courts of law granting them innocence, everyone should be the same.

Anyway, hopefully these guys make it out unscathed.

I know Iran bans lots of video games altogether but still plenty of them make it through or the bans don't actually apply for digital distribution but only in-store and stuf like that. So hopefully they have lots of examples of how this or that game was a-ok therefor so is theirs as it's not that different.

Edit: also, it's probably not actually good for them if the internet at large and their own twitter feed and shit like that is flooded with "fuck Iran" or equivalent messages as some kind of support movement for these guys before any hearings...

Last edited:

God Enel

it feels more pol related but sure, is the game any good?
Imho the game is great. I havent finished it yet. Have all the playable characters and i’m more than halfway through. I like the story and the funeral really wasn’t ‘islamic’ and yes the characters use magic weapons and there is a character that is more or less a buddhist monk. Allah have mercy

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This really sad, best wishes on the devs, I hope you guys keep in mind this not who Iranians are or how "islam" acts, this just a shitty government using the religion as excuse to do shitty things just like any other shitty governments through out history.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
They should have developed the game elsewhere.

It sucks to say this, and obviously so easy to speak now, but you have to take these things into account when you are creating a product in a country where there is no freedom of speech, freedom of religion.

Hope for the best.

God Enel

fuck all this religious bullshit. It’s a game. Back as a kid I was happy to see my rpg characters go into a church to save the game or see Tibet in Terranigma and Egypt in Secret of evermore. Those games are the fucking reason I love to travel and see the world. Otherwise I would have never seen angkor wat and hopefully one day I will see the naszca lines with my own eyes and fucking Easter island.
Everyone should be able to worship and believe in Whatever he wants without being persecuted for it. 🖕🏼

Savage. Those devs of that Stalin Simulator game should take note, with their purple dreads, frappuccinos, and daddy's money. /s

Edit: I really should pick this up to support these people. I had no idea a real game (i.e. not those FB games we saw at the Game Awards) could be made somewhere like Iran.

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

Moral Security Police :messenger_unamused:

Best wishes to the devs.
Especially because it's the opposite of moral lol.

It's like sjw being the opposite of Justice and AntiFa actually being a group of fascists to dumb to understand they are fascists.

There was the Stone age, middle ages, modern age and now the hypocrite age.

Let's hope the Golden 20s get rid of more crap than they create.

Especially because it's the opposite of moral lol.

It's like sjw being the opposite of Justice and AntiFa actually being a group of fascists to dumb to understand they are fascists.

There was the Stone age, middle ages, modern age and now the hypocrite age.

Let's hope the Golden 20s get rid of more crap than they create.
That term is really, something else.

OT: I feel bad for the developer, I think he should move somewhere else.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Damn, I never knew the game was developed in Iran, kinda explains why some of its features like family relations feel fresh and unlike anything else. The devs should think about moving their studio elsewhere, they clearly have talented people who shouldn't have to worry about being targeted by the religious police.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hope the devs can leave that shithole country asap.
Game was/is amazing.

McCheese

The fuck?!

This is one of the most wholesome and charming games I've played, to think some religions would consider it a crime is just...stupid.

Ornlu

Banned
Like the violent suppression of protests in Iran last month? Oh, you handwaved those too.

May we have your permission to discuss how this Iranian dev is being treated by their government?

Heavens forbid anyone say anything less than fawning praise about the Iran regime, or their lil asset on Neogaf has to scuttle out from the shadows.

Hopefully the devs behind the game can get out; I can't imagine what any person in a creative field would have to go through to try and work in their field in Iran.

Top Bottom