• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Maiden renamed Ion Fury, launches August 15 for PC

Mista

Banned
Ion-Fury_07-11-19.jpg

Ion Maiden is now titled Ion Fury and will launch for PC via Steam on August 15, publishers 1C Entertainment and 3D Realms and developer Voidpoint announced. The PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch versions will follow at a later date.

A physical “Big Box” edition including a Bowling Bomb USB flash drive, digital soundtrack, A3 poster, GDF keycard, Bowling Bomb sticker set, and 60-plus page making of booklet is also available for pre-order at the 3D Realms Store for $59.99.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
The Story

While Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison earned her codename defusing bombs for the Global Defense Force, when evil transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel unleashes the members of his cybernetic cult onto the streets of Neo DC, she knows it’s time to start causing explosions instead of preventing them.
Her quest to slay Heskel leaves a trail of carnage throughout huge, multi-path levels filled with gigantic explosions, more secret areas than we can count, and inhuman foes behind every corner. There’s no regenerating health here; stop taking cover and start running and gunning.
Shelly’s crusade to take down Heskel’s army will see her leave destruction in her wake with a wide arsenal of weapons, complete with alternate fire modes and different ammo types. Her signature revolver, the tri-barreled Loverboy, brings enemies pain and players pleasure with both single shots and Old West-style hammer fanning action. Who needs a regular shotgun when you can load buckshot into your grenade launcher? Violent, over-the-top Bowling Bombs rip enemies apart with ease.
Ion Maiden laughs at the idea of mandatory checkpoints and straight paths through shooting galleries. But, just because this is a true old-school first-person shooter doesn’t mean we’ve ignored all the good new stuff the last two decades have brought. Headshots? Hell yeah. More physics and interactivity? You betcha. Widescreen, controller support, and Auto Saves? 3D Realms and Voidpoint have taken the best of both worlds and cooked it all into a bloody stew.

Key Features

What to expect from the full version of Ion Maiden upon release:
  • The true successor to classic shooters such as Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood.
  • Experience the original Build engine on steroids, pumped up and ready to rock again after 20 years!
  • Duck, jump, climb, swim, and blast your way through seven exciting zones packed with multiple levels of mayhem!
  • A beautiful game world assembled from thousands of hand-crafted textures and sprites.
  • An awe-inspiring arsenal of devastating weapons, including multiple ammo types and alternate fire modes. Tri-barreled revolvers, grenade launchers, and heat-seeking smart bombs are your best friends!
  • The classic 90s FPS action you love, meshed with modern inventions like locational damage and seamless level transitions
  • Zero procedural generation. All levels are hand made and full of multiple paths, cool effects, and complex set pieces!
  • Thumping soundtrack comprised of true tracked module music, in authentic FastTracker 2 format.
  • Easy access on to level editor and other development tools on day one, plus Steam Workshop support.

quickwhips

The build engine was so awesome. I remade die hard with that engine in like 1998. Does 3D realms not know how to use modern engines?

Solo Act

Was the name changed because it sounded like the band? I haven't heard of this game before so I'm just curious. The story doesn't mention why the name was changed as far as I can tell.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Now they are going to get sued for ripping off Darksiders 3. Didn't Fury get a spark power in that game? I.e. Ion Fury?

Whatever. I don't think my 1080 rig can run it even with the new 3700x and mobo. This shit needs 2 Voodoo2s or better and my rig don't even have one PCI slot, let alone 2.

TwistedSyn

Still looks amazing. Can't wait to finally play the whole experience since I have played the Shareware version multiple times.

Also am I crazy or did the trailer actually take some music cues from MegaDeth's Hanger 18? Starts at 0:53 in the Ion Fury trailer.

Loke

Holy crap it's even based in ancient egypt (judging by the cover)! :D

Yep, it's a great underrated Metroidvania style of game. It's known as Exhumed in Europe though.

Released on both consoles and PC DOS although the console versions are way superior.

Cravis

Night Dive Studios trademarked Powerslave/Exhumed about a year ago. Supposedly they were going to remaster and re-release but we haven’t heard anything since.

In that time they started over on the System Shock remake and obtained the rights to re-release Blood so it’s understandable that it took a back seat. Just wished we would get some confirmation on if/when it’s coming.

I have just bought the Early Access and played through it. Out of all of the modern "Retro" style shooters I have played I like this one the best. If I had just one small nickpick it would be that I think the music is just Ok and I don't feel the main character's design is 90s enough. I would have preferred the original pic related because it looks really 80s/90s.
5fa03e1a203ff24e15786b94beaafce326460127.jpg

In the end I played through what little we have 2 times in just 2 days and I am loving the gameplay. I really want this game to do well.

Still looks amazing. Can't wait to finally play the whole experience since I have played the Shareware version multiple times.

Also am I crazy or did the trailer actually take some music cues from MegaDeth's Hanger 18? Starts at 0:53 in the Ion Fury trailer.

I don't hear it but I don't even care my man, that's just a fucking great song and everything is a good excuse to listen to it.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
The band sure is a bunch of bitches for suing over the name. Even if I liked cheesy 80s butt rock, I'd never give them a red cent after that pathetic display.

If you like Duke Nukem 3D you will like this. I think this game might turn out better than Duke 3D if they can get the quality consistent. Duke 3D falls off a cliff very quickly, which is why I can't play it anymore. Also multiplayer deathmatch could be great.

Lanrutcon

So this is pretty much the pinnacle of the Build engine. The stuff they show showcased in the demo was fantastic.

Top Bottom