• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Fury |OT|: Maiden Heaven!

Chittagong

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Last edited:
:messenger_angry_horns: boo about the changes

I do feel bad that creators cant say something without the thought police hitting them over the head. You used to read this :messenger_poop: in books .. now its a reality :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If a game has jokes in it that might offend you, you have two options:

Buy the game and don't reward the developers.

Or...

Don't buy the game and don't reward the developers.

Is it that difficult for these man babies?

Ivory Blood

Oof, they are already deleting threads on steam forums like crazy, haha. Damn, now that they admitted their employees (at least in the eyes of 3DRealms and Ree) are sexist and phobic, they are gonna have a field day.

Whoever trains their PR department should be fired, silence would serve them better, the "storm" was over after a day of screeching.

chris121580

Completely agree. They should've just stayed silent. They're just the Reee flavor of the week and it would've blown over. Anyone over there complaining about the game and confirming they won't buy it likely never had any interest in buying it in the first place.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Players then discovered that the game itself would feature some off-color jokes, like lotion that says "Ogay," likely wordplay on "Olay," and a developer message in an out-of-bounds area that uses a homosexual slur. The message stated "Heere's SECRET F**bag LAAWRAAH Unholy Fanfare."
that second thing is a slur but also out of bounds, so who cares.

the lotion thing, lol, so basically they will be removing any references to "gay" in the game.

so the game will be cleansed of any references to "gay". i mean, i guess there's your progress.

Paracelsus

I'm glad I don't really follow the hobby anymore, because they haven't yet made "I want a refund because I didn't know I was enabling pussies" a law yet.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
meh, unlike REE i could care less what the devs choose to do. im not going to punish them for misbehaving, ill leave that to the narcs at REE.

besides, they aren't vastly changing the game here, they are removing a few tiny references. can i live with a game that is suddenly free of gay references? i'll be surprised if i notice them missing.

tbh it would be just as silly to protest them "caving" for me to make a big stink about this cos of some article and a PR statement. it's an awesome game and doesn't deserve to be used as a prop in some lame culture war.

Last edited:
I would suggest anyone who bought the game and can't refund it, to go and give it a negative review. It worked for reee, lol.

Psh! I'm not going to do that, it's a fantastic game in it's own right and 3DRealms are the ones taking all of this censoring action, not Voidpoint themselves. I imagine if it was Voidpoint's own IP and property they probably wouldn't budge, but hell, pressuring a bigger publisher gets results it seems.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Psh! I'm not going to do that, it's a fantastic game in it's own right and 3DRealms are the ones taking all of this censoring action, not Voidpoint themselves. I imagine if it was Voidpoint's own IP and property they probably wouldn't budge, but hell, pressuring a bigger publisher gets results it seems.

Hasn't 3DRealms already been in hot water a couple times recently? I'd imagine they just don't want to see all of that compounded. They're not a big company these days, and I understand why they wouldn't want to take the PR risk.

Ivory Blood

I'm not going to do that, it's a fantastic game in it's own right and 3DRealms are the ones taking all of this censoring action, not Voidpoint themselves. I imagine if it was Voidpoint's own IP and property they probably wouldn't budge, but hell, pressuring a bigger publisher gets results it seems.

tbh it would be just as silly to protest them "caving" for me to make a big stink about this cos of some article and a PR statement. it's an awesome game and doesn't deserve to be used as a prop in some lame culture war.

Oh I agree the game itself is good, It's your right of course not to blow the fires even more. But it's already being used as a prop in a culture war - by the side that wants to police the thoughts and words of everyone around them.

All these small things build a far bigger issue in the future - each time someone gives them power, they grow more confident and voraciously attack their next meal. Just take a look over at the politics forum - teachers being silenced for wrongthink is another symptom of this cancer.

Helios

Seriously, you're all acting similar to RE. Just play the damn game and enjoy it. And if you don't, than leave a bad review/refund it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Seriously, you're all acting similar to RE. Just play the damn game and enjoy it. And if you don't, than leave a bad review/refund it.
Eh, I'm really not sure if that's the right course of action. Don't you think we've come this far precisely because they've been getting a free pass on their crusade? How far does this have to go until you deem it appropriate to put an end to it?

Helios

And this is why they get whatever they want. People like you can't stand up for anything. Enjoy caving to the PC mobs for the next 20 years.
Yep. Sorry for enjoying the video game instead of talking about resetera for 5 pages and derailing the thread over and over because the developer made a PR response.
Don't get me wrong. I think they should've never apologized in the first place. But I don't see how this statement lowers the quality of the game.

Last edited:
And this is why they get whatever they want. People like you can't stand up for anything. Enjoy caving to the PC mobs for the next 20 years.

So much this, but it just pisses me off that we can;t do anything about Resetera. I truly believed people would stop listening to them after all the pedophilia shit but again and again they prove themselves.

Ivory Blood

Yep. Sorry for enjoying the video game instead of talking about resetera for 5 pages and derailing the thread over and over because the developer made a PR response.
Don't get me wrong. I think they should've never apologized in the first place. But I don't see how this statement lowers the quality of the game.
It doesn't lower the quality of the game. But it's not about the game anymore, is it? You know what they say - everything is political nowadays, lmao.

If the only way to actually be heard is to shout louder than the moronic SJWs, then it's only logical to do so.

brap

Banned
You can still enjoy the game and be unhappy with their decision. It's the principle of it all. I also made a thread about it so everybody can move there to talk about it.

There comes a point where you have to fight fire with fire my dear boy. 3DR caved specifically *because* us letting it go means it's a free win for REE at no cost to 3DR. We're the bigger crowd. Am I going to refund or pathetically cut my nose off to spite my face by having it removed from my library? No. But you can bet your ass I'm going to be making a de-censorship mod...and I swear to fucking god (despite being a devout atheist) my big box had better be v1.0...

One thing I have learned from all of this hub-hub is that Shelly was originally gonna have a nuclear warhead bra as chest attire when she was first penned up. That would've been fucking great and an awesome reference to one of my favourite comic series, Tank Girl!

80bce94948f5ed7c467f6ac8d3b3f303.jpg

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

One thing I have learned from all of this hub-hub is that Shelly was originally gonna have a nuclear warhead bra as chest attire when she was first penned up. That would've been fucking great and an awesome tribute to one of my favourite comic series, Tank Girl!

Eh, I kinda like the design they went with. Reminds me of Oni and GitS.

Last edited:
Pathetic. The hate mob grows in confidence again. Would have been best to not comment it at all.

I'm so disappointed. Everytime this happens the hate mob grows stronger. It's hard to even talk about a fucking video game anywhere when any drama around it overshadows everything.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
One thing I have learned from all of this hub-hub is that Shelly was originally gonna have a nuclear warhead bra as chest attire when she was first penned up. That would've been fucking great and an awesome reference to one of my favourite comic series, Tank Girl!

hah Tank Girl the movie was on TV this weekend. didnt look like this tho.
I'm so disappointed. Everytime this happens the hate mob grows stronger. It's hard to even talk about a fucking video game anywhere when any drama around it overshadows everything.
eh, the game is still there for now, nothing has changed at all. we don't even know what is being changed yet.

the same people made the game in the first place. it's a badass game. i don't get what is so horrible about them changing things to make it more marketable. does it suck that SJW's got a win? yes. what is their win? a single article with a vague statement about something, what it is we don't know, that may be patched out. if we decide this is the time to wig out and punish this company for their politics, we are no better than them.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

You shouldn't be able to review a product that you don't own. Steam is as much to blame here as anyone.

I'm all for them patching out truly offensive stuff, even if it's in an out of bounds area as it shouldn't have been put there in the first place. Changing Olay to Ogay isn't even clever or funny anyway so sure, patch it out. Doesn't impact gameplay in any way so I don't object.

The PR response is a reaction to REE and that's the most disappointing aspect here because rather than trying to have a meaningful conversation and explain to dev's that are perhaps just ignorant why some things are offensive to marginalized groups... REE just goes on a witchhunt, calls for people to be fired, and review bombs the game. Its rediculous.

Anybody offended by stuff being patched out should wait and see what the changes actually are. I'm certain it will be minor changes that don't affect your enjoyment of the game. Nobody seriously wants truly offensive stuff is the game anyway. Unless you enjoyed playing with shit, fighting a multi titted alien boss, and opening vagina doors by stimulating the g-spot in DNF... I think you'll be fine. If not, you probably need to grow the fuck up.

Anybody offended by stuff being patched out should wait and see what the changes actually are. I'm certain it will be minor changes that don't affect your enjoyment of the game. Nobody seriously wants truly offensive stuff is the game anyway. Unless you enjoyed playing with shit, fighting a multi titted alien boss, and opening vagina doors by stimulating the g-spot in DNF... I think you'll be fine. If not, you probably need to grow the fuck up.

Hey, I thought throwing around a piece of shit was a blast in DNF! Writing your own name on the walls was an amusing time-waster, and hell, why not throw in a Total Recall reference on one of your bosses? Got a chuckle out of me!

Last edited:
It's the principle of it. Does DN3D or DOOM having pills on the medkits instead of red crosses affect my enjoyment? No...but it still bothers me. It's not the original artwork. It's not the author's original vision. Any change like that, however minor, is censorship...and censorship is not cool. And it's not like the devs decided to change it out of their own volition. I could maybe abide that. No...they are being forced to by a small group of moral busybodies. I don't go around pleading for people to remove content I object to...and if I did people would be well within their rights to tell me to fuck off...why should ResetEra get away with it?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So much this, but it just pisses me off that we can;t do anything about Resetera. I truly believed people would stop listening to them after all the pedophilia shit but again and again they prove themselves.
thing is, they are very influential. tons of verified game devs and journalists post there. lots of youtubers and streamers too. this story started on the weekend and they were openly discussing how to proceed. saying "why aren't people writing about this?" when journalists are on the very message boards is a pretty powerful thing. they were saying "Let's spread this around and email streamers to warn them" they were planning coordingated attacks. you can't just "cancel" them somehow. Era is made of a lot of people in positions of power. this was brewing over the weekend and probably about to spill into a massive clusterfuck of negative press. Ion Fury devs had to do something.

this is why the Fury devs are providing several approaches to address the issue, to nip this in the bud before it blows up way out of control. this way they already have several responses before the first article dropped. they know the power of that site and saw things about to blow up in their face and like it or not they had to have a response to it. saying "Fuck that" would have been a nice victory against a message board, but it would have tarnished them in the eyes of many influential people, the journalists who use Era, their coverage would suffer, and right during the all-important first week of sales. they were kind of fucked, so they had to do something. blaming them for it is silly.

the game is still purchaseable and playable without any "censorship" for the time being. and it rules. play the game, people, it is awesome. the same people you thought made the game a few days ago still made it. it is still a good game!

Last edited:
thing is, they are very influential. tons of verified game devs and journalists post there. lots of youtubers and streamers too. this story started on the weekend and they were openly discussing how to proceed. saying "why aren't people writing about this?" when journalists are on the very message boards is a pretty powerful thing. they were saying "Let's spread this around and email streamers to warn them" they were planning coordingated attacks. you can't just "cancel" them somehow. Era is made of a lot of people in positions of power. this was brewing over the weekend and probably about to spill into a massive clusterfuck of negative press. Ion Fury devs had to do something.

this is why the Fury devs are providing several approaches to address the issue, to nip this in the bud before it blows up way out of control. this way they already have several responses before the first article dropped. they know the power of that site and saw things about to blow up in their face and like it or not they had to have a response to it. saying "Fuck that" would have been a nice victory against a message board, but it would have tarnished them in the eyes of many influential people, the journalists who use Era, their coverage would suffer, and right during the all-important first week of sales. they were kind of fucked, so they had to do something. blaming them for it is silly.

the game is still purchaseable and playable without any "censorship" for the time being. and it rules. play the game, people, it is awesome. the same people you thought made the game a few days ago still made it. it is still a good game!

I get you but the problem is, while this particular case is a small change in the game, little by little those assholes will gain more and more power that could potentially ruin a lot of games in bigger ways and that is something to think about. I suppose the only way to win against that asshole of a forum is to gain some influential journalists on our side.

So, just ran through E1M3 on "Blood: Fresh Supply" the Phantom Express level that has you meandering around a train, and comparing this level to Ion Fury's train level shows just how much technical wizardry went into developing the latter with a modified build engine. The Phantom Express from Blood just feels like a standard map with a moving skybox outside of it, everything is really boxy looking and "Doom"-like, Ion Fury's train level is on a whole different level compared to it. There's just so much sprite work and different assets put into it that make it so much more fleshed out looking! Also helps that the train is to scale as well with individual carriages.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

It's the principle of it. Does DN3D or DOOM having pills on the medkits instead of red crosses affect my enjoyment? No...but it still bothers me. It's not the original artwork. It's not the author's original vision. Any change like that, however minor, is censorship...and censorship is not cool. And it's not like the devs decided to change it out of their own volition. I could maybe abide that. No...they are being forced to by a small group of moral busybodies. I don't go around pleading for people to remove content I object to...and if I did people would be well within their rights to tell me to fuck off...why should ResetEra get away with it?

I fail to see how hidden text in out of bounds areas could be argued as the original vision...

I don't like censorship either and I agree that it looks like they capitulated to REE and that sends the wrong message to other developers... but while I’m not personally offended by things like Ogay being used instead of Olay, and while I’m not going to take offence on behalf of anybody else, ...if it caused offence to a group of people then we should be able to have a conversation about it. Freedom of speech only goes so far and it doesn’t encompass all speech. Anything intended to be hurtful or harmful, or incite violence isn’t freedom of speech at all, its cuntish.

We don’t yet know what they are changing and we don’t know whether they even anticipated some sort of controversy. We need to wait and see exactly what they adjust to get a clearer picture. REE are pathetic in the way they handle these kinds of things but it doesn’t mean that they’re entirely wrong. The hive mind group think bullshit is tedious and many people who wouldn’t have bought the game anyway will have just jumped on the bandwagon, but that doesn’t mean that there are no valid points being raised.

Okay...so someone found it offensive...as Stephen Fry would say: "so fucking what?"...

Freedom of speech only goes so far and it doesn’t encompass all speech.
Wrong. Limited speech is not free. The US constitution is very clear on this. (the US being the only country in the world with actual free speech)

Anything intended to be hurtful or harmful, or incite violence isn’t freedom of speech at all, its cuntish.
Agreed...it is cuntish...doesn't mean it's not free speech. If I call you a donkey raping shit eater you could argue that's cuntish...I still have a right to say it.

Apocryphon

Wrong. Limited speech is not free. The US constitution is very clear on this. (the US being the only country in the world with actual free speech)

There are multiple categories of speech that are not protected by the First Amendment. Your right to freedom of speech and expression doesn’t encompass all speech.

That said, you do have a right to use hate speech... it just makes you a cunt.

Now that we know that they are only removing something that was out of bounds and changing the name of the soap... it doesn’t look like a great victory for REE. The PR statement is still troubling but whatever. Voidpoint need to learn from this and better anticipate the response from shitheels like that.

-Minsc-

beat the first boss finally. hah i used God mode.

some screenshots from this rad game:
God mode, I remember those days. When I was young I just played the game and didn't care if I cheated or not. I wonder when that changed? It did not change my enjoyment of it. The best I can think if is my anti-cheating stance came from the multiplayer aspect of games. In single player I rarely cared. Some times I'd use cheats and others I wouldn't.

I'll soon have to stop visiting this thread or I'll buy this game before I'm prepared to.

Top Bottom