• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IO Interactive (Hitman series) is developing a new online fantasy RPG

Draugoth

Gold Member

It has now been a decade since we first imagined creating a new “World of Assassination” for our HITMAN games. Seven years ago, we launched that world in its infancy and nurtured it to grow to comprise three full games, exciting new game modes, many additional locations, and extra targets. And more importantly, it has allowed us to build a bond with our community that has supported us ever since. We have gone from a strong vision, through a lot of unforeseen events, to the ever-expanding world with freedom of approach in its core that we have today.

Now we are sharing with all of you, that we are embarking on a new adventure! One that expands our creativity, our capabilities, and in some sense our identity. We are building a new world, a new IP – an online fantasy RPG. A world and a game built from the core to entertain players and expand for many years to come. It feels familiar, yet at the same time IOI is going on a journey unlike any we have been on before.
For many, this journey is also a deeply personal one that began long before we started making games for a living – and it started with the fantasy genre. From the “Fighting Fantasy” books compelling you to choose your path, alone, against wizards, lizards, and thief kings. To the togetherness, camaraderie, agony, and delight found around the tabletop. For some it meant taking the role of a game master: Part storyteller, part AI opponent, part guide, part villain. For everyone around that table it meant creativity, imagination, building a world together, and a shared goal in creating a great game experience.

This idea – that a diverse group of individuals with different skills and strengths can work together and become more than the sum of their parts – is what inspires us. It inspires the fantasy world we are building – and it inspires how we build it. IOI now spans multiple distinct studios, from Copenhagen and Malmö in the north to warm Barcelona in the south. All studios take part in making all our games, including this new endeavor. People from all over the world with diverse personalities and skillsets are coming together to forge a new beginning.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Why online ?
I suppose that it will play into the "tabletop experience" they talked about.

For some it meant taking the role of a game master: Part storyteller, part AI opponent, part guide, part villain. For everyone around that table it meant creativity, imagination, building a world together, and a shared goal in creating a great game experience.
I hope that it means that we will be able to be game masters in this game and make our own stories. Maybe there will be a trailer at E3?

StueyDuck

Isn't this not being made by IO main team (as In the mainline hitman games) at all but a newly created sister studio in a sister location in a complete different country

Last edited:
Online?
Marilyn Monroe Eye Roll GIF

Thirty7ven

Banned
Wow, bunch of party poopers here

You have nothing but a genre and online, no videos, no game mechanics and no gameplay, yet here you are whining like little bitches

This fucking industry, no wonder devs are avoiding game forums like toxic sludge.

You think this derivative poor man’s wack ass take on fantasy warrants excitement?

Along with the industry being overcrowded with these type of online games?

They are looking for easy money. This shit screams product.

Flabagast

FqD_5pHWcAMGva1

How in god's name could somebody sane be excited by this shit ?

This looks like the first generic picture a AI image generator would put out if you typed "online fantasy RPG" as a request. And it's not benign since this is the first thing they chose to show to communicate about their new IP.

Game devs need to do better and to be way more imaginative for their projects.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I honestly thought they would have tried to regender their iconic main series.

But then I realised #hitwoman would not go down well on twitter.

Rykan

You think this derivative poor man’s wack ass take on fantasy warrants excitement?
What are you even talking about? Nothing but the setting and the fact that it's an online game have been revealed. You're complaining and talking about "Bomba" of something that you have absolutely no knowledge of.

FqD_5pHWcAMGva1

How in god's name could somebody sane be excited by this shit ?

This looks like the first generic picture a AI image generator would put out if you typed "online fantasy RPG" as a request. And it's not benign since this is the first thing they chose to show to communicate about their new IP.

Game devs need to do better and to be way more imaginative for their projects.
The artwork looks fucking beautiful. I don't know how can you say it looks like AI shit lmao.

Last edited:
Through playing the whole modern Hitman series through 3 times plus the DLC and a few escalations and elusive targets over the last 2 years, I don’t recall having a single session where it didn’t randomly disconnect on me…and they want to make an online game? 🤣

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Along with the industry being overcrowded with these type of online games?

They are looking for easy money. This shit screams product.

You have 0 information on how they will approach this, so how can you even say "poor's man wack ass take"? You're proving my point to a tee, holy shit.

Overcrowded? Are we looking at the same genre? Care to list me the numerous online D&D fantasy games?

Know what's crowded? Every other fucking AAA genres be it action/adventure cinematic wannabes with hand holding so that in-coma players can finish them.

Someone with an Uncut Gem avatar should maybe know better than to judge a book by its cover.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's not really doing it for me at the moment. Currently it sounds and looks really generic and uninspired.

Buggy Loop

Thats because its NOT an mmo.

Right

And nothing i read in the OP's from IO's description goes into the tangent of wanting an MMO. It looks like the intention here is D&D with the equivalent of a table group and probably a lot of user generated ideas like a game master. Much closer to Dark and Darker in description than MMO.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
you-were-the-chosen-one.gif

I'd play a singleplayer fantasy game from them even though I'm not a huge fan of the fantasy setting. But online? NOPE.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They've literally shown nothing of it yet. :messenger_dizzy:

That's not true. They've shown off artwork that looks like you're typical, vanilla fantasy setting.

They've also talked about what we can expect in the game, plus some generic story beats such as

"This idea – that a diverse group of individuals with different skills and strengths can work together and become more than the sum of their parts – is what inspires us. It inspires the fantasy world we are building"

I understand very little has been revealed, but at the moment it's not getting my member throbbing.

Top Bottom