• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Invert Y?

Do you invert Y-Axis?

• Yes

Votes: 101 61.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 38.4%

• Total voters

Hostile_18

Banned
Thing of the analogue stick like your head, you push back to look up.

I did play inverted for quite a while starting with Goldeneye (that I seem to remember having it as default). Got use to it quick but every other game wouldn't have a inverted option so I "unlearned" it as it wasn't practical to only have inverted every other game. Memory reflex and all that.

Havoc2049

If it’s a flight sim, 3D shooter or a FPS, I’m down with inverted. It just feels natural and more in tune with the movements of your body in a 3D space.

Like some people here, I’m an old school computer gamer and space/flight sim games like Star Raiders, Rescue on Fractalus, Flight Simulator II, F-15 Strike Eagle, Elite, Falcon, Their Finest Hour, etc. we’re all the rage.

Rippa

I always explain to the younger crowd like so:

1. Imagine the top of your head is the right analog stick to move the camera.

2. Now put your right thumb on the top of your head and push up, your head tilts downward bringing your eyes to look at the floor.

3. Pull back and your head tilts upward bringing your eyes to look at the ceiling.

It makes total sense that inverted the natural way to play.

RCU005

When you play with X or Y inverted in means that you are moving the camera. When you don’t have them inverted, it means that you are “turning” the “head” of the character.

If you remember in Super Mario 64, there was Lakitu. He was assigned to the C-Buttons. If you pressed C right, the view turned to the left, because you were actually controlling Lakitu (the camera) instead of the view (what Mario was seeing). Still, I think that game had Y inverted by default, since when you go to first person, you still had to pull down the stick to look up.

Many Nintendo 64 games (Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing) had the X and Y inverted because they were letting you control the camera. You move the camera down, you were looking up. You moved the camera left, you look to the right.

Flying an airplane is inverted because of the nature of the control stick. You pull the stick towards you to move the ailerons down and make the plane go up. In reality, they are not inverted, but the perception, makes you think that down is up, because pulling islike moving down, therefore you move an anologue stick in the controller downwards.

Boxster17

I only invert for flight games, everything else stays as is. Though it does really annoy me when they don't allow you to invert for some flight games/portions of games.

Top Bottom