• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INVERSE: PSVR 2 Ironically Has the Same Launch Problems as the Xbox Series X. More proof Sony’s latest VR headset desperately needs exclusive games.

It is a major problem for them. Its fine if you don't have any knowledge of vr and you're willing to buy yourself into sonys walled garden for vr but the reality is this headset needs PC support ASAP and Sony needs to put their money where their tech is to make this work.

Just like the series x the hardware is amazing but lackluster software support will leave it dead in the water with low sales.
It's not going to have PC support. Sony sells their hardware at a loss to get you into their "walled garden" and makes their money on the sales there. Sales of PSVR2 mean nothing if those buyers aren't also purchasing games on Sony's platform.

Maybe in a year, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

saintjules

How many exclusives do they want at launch? 10? 15? That is a thing that is never going to happen with any platform given the cross gen and multiplatform nature of most games today.

Especially when people can't afford to buy that many at launch. For someone new to the VR space, the amount of games offered here is plenty to get my feet wet. By the time I get through the games I want to play, there will be more.

Plus SoP tomorrow. So let's see what's beyond the horizon for PSVR2.

CamHostage

I mean, sure, I consider it a problem that Sony's support of its own headset so far is 1 new game produced internally and 1 produced externally and 1 modified game and 1 remaster (Horizon CotM, Firewall Ultra, and GT7,) and it's not got me rushing to buy despite some good software in the mix...

...But, it's releasing in March, not at Christmas. And it's a device made to appeal to the kinds of people who would buy themselves an expensive toy in the beginning of the year just because they want one right away rather than as a treat at the end of the year. And it'll have time to build a library and maybe Sony has some hidden software (they sure have not been overly eager to disclose ANY of their game projects in the past two years...) which by the time this thing really needs to prove itself the games that would prove it would be ready. And it's an accessory (following up a short-lived and expensive and under-supported-by-its-manufacturer predecessor which still pleased those people enough over its lifespan that people are lining up a second time,) so it's not the main concern goin in in the PS fanbase right now.

If PSVR2 does well, great for those early adopters and hopefully I'll find the bucks to join in too, and if it doesn't do well, it's fine, there's still plenty more to do with PS5 plus even if it fails PSVR2 will likely coast on Quest conversions for some time to come. So... I guess i'm not worried. This is kind of a soft launch, not a bet-the-farm moment for PS and its VR marketshare gambit.

Poppyseed

Uh if you think plugging ina a USB cable is complicated then charging a battery must be equally so. They are both totally turn key unless you are hooking the quest up to a PC.
That's the most nonsensical response I've ever read. Nobody said plugging in a USB cable is complicated. But it's more complicated than just putting on a Quest 2 headset and away you go. Not to mention you don't need to turn on (or actually have to buy) a PS5, either. So, again, in terms of simplicity, the Quest 2 is more simple. I can't believe you chose this hill to die on. Madness, sometimes, the Internet is.

Last edited:

Crayon

That's the most nonsensical response I've ever read. Nobody said plugging in a USB cable is complicated. But it's more complicated than just putting on a Quest 2 headset and away you go. Not to mention you don't need to turn on (or actually have to buy) a PS5, either. So, again, in terms of simplicity, the Quest 2 is more simple. I can't believe you chose this hill to die on. Madness, sometimes, the Internet is.

Easy, turbo. So just to get you up to speed, citing plugging in a battery was meant to point out the absurdity of connecting a usb plug as a barrier. But hey, water under the bridge. Tell me more about the challenge of turning on that ps5.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I agree which is why I won't be buying one until this changes.

GT7 and Resident Evil aren't enough, especially from the perspective of someone who has a PC compatible VR headset. All the worthwhile sim racing titles are VR compatible and there are some excellent VR mods for the RE titles.

Sony need to do more, what's on offer now isn't enough.
Same. I’ll jump in one day, but that sure as shit isn’t anytime soon with this Quest 2.5 launch lineup.

Easy, turbo. So just to get you up to speed, citing plugging in a battery was meant to point out the absurdity of connecting a usb plug as a barrier. But hey, water under the bridge. Tell me more about the challenge of turning on that ps5.
two-buttons_qznre9.png

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

How many exclusives did the PS5 have at launch?

serious question, can someone remind me?

For some reason, I can only remember Demon souls remake and astro.... I think everything else could be pkayed on some other platform(s).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, true. But why is Greg Miller (Original Lead face of IGN's Playstation Beyond Podcast and now the owner of Kinda Funny which now has a "Playstation I Love You" podcast dedicated strictly to Playstation-only gamers) saying "Damn"? Like is he in agreement with the emailer? Or sad that someone emailed him that?

And I wonder if people know that most of these games that were on the MetaQuest have received upgrades and are Remasters. It's what happened with the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles. They got many last gen games at launch, but at a better quality. Most people seemed to think that was good.

He is saying damn, becuase even as a massive playstation fan he can clearly see there is nothing really in this launch line up that is enticing to the wider VR fanbase. If you are a VR fan you have these games and can hook your quest 2 up to your PC and play them in basically the same quality as psvr2
lol, no. Putting this headset on PC would make the headset less attractive, as the devs then have to code for more hardware than just a PS5.

This headset has been out a day. It's a little early to start the concern over how well Sony VR is doing.

funny how there was no concern for PSVR, which was a mid-range headset at the time and had 0 support as it was Sony's first venture into VR

Dude, 90 percent of these games are already on PC and have been ported from PC to psvr 2. What?? 😆

Ozriel

M$FT
lol, no. Putting this headset on PC would make the headset less attractive, as the devs then have to code for more hardware than just a PS5.

Devs were always going to code for more hardware. Very, very few developers are going to make an AAA VR game exclusive to PS5 without being financially incentivized by Sony.

The VR market is that small that they really have to release as wide as possible.

When Quest 3 comes out this year, expect the higher end AA stuff to target that hardware too.

SRTtoZ

"DESPERATELY" lol. 99% of launch consoles have SHIT launch lineups. It's just how it is. I would say the launch lineup is an A considering it has Gran Turismo 7 full, RE8 full, a 10 hour first party Horizon game bundled in as well as all the other VR enabled titles that just launched. The Star Wars game shouldn't be slept on because they added about 7 hours worth of brand new shit that's way better than the original. The games will come. Sony is fully invested in it.

nial

Gold Member
I misread that and was ready to pull the trigger on WinBack VR.

Let's reinvent the cover system again, in a whole new medium.
It's time for the folks at Koei to start supporting VR. :messenger_winking:
In all seriousness though, if things like Space Channel 5 and Cosmic Smash can return with PSVR entries, why not Winback (ignoring the fact that they're from different companies)?

Hoppa

How many exclusives did the PS5 have at launch?

serious question, can someone remind me?

For some reason, I can only remember Demon souls remake and astro.... I think everything else could be pkayed on some other platform(s).
Demons Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy, Watchdogs and Assassins Creed Valhalla come to mind. It wasn’t great

Mr.Phoenix

(1)Demons Souls, (2)Miles Morales, (3)Sackboy, (4)Watchdogs and (5)Assassins Creed Valhalla come to mind. It wasn’t great
2 and 3 were so on PS4. 4 and 5 were on PC and Xbox.

Only (1) in that kist was actually exclusive.

Seems PSVR2 has more exclusives than PS5 had at launch.

Lyrical

Banned
He is saying damn, becuase even as a massive playstation fan he can clearly see there is nothing really in this launch line up that is enticing to the wider VR fanbase. If you are a VR fan you have these games and can hook your quest 2 up to your PC and play them in basically the same quality as psvr2

Dude, 90 percent of these games are already on PC and have been ported from PC to psvr 2. What?? 😆
I’ve noticed how desperate you are to shit on Sony at any given opportunity. It’s pretty obvious now dude.

GT7 alone has sold me on ps vr. But I can appreciate it’s not for everyone especially at the price point.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's not going to have PC support. Sony sells their hardware at a loss to get you into their "walled garden" and makes their money on the sales there. Sales of PSVR2 mean nothing if those buyers aren't also purchasing games on Sony's platform.

Maybe in a year, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Let's see how it's doing ina a year. Sadge.
I’ve noticed how desperate you are to shit on Sony at any given opportunity. It’s pretty obvious now dude.

GT7 alone has sold me on ps vr. But I can appreciate it’s not for everyone especially at the price point.

Lmao, im huge vr advocate and I am literally sat here praising their hardware design and how much I want the headset at the right price but I am wrong to question their weak line up and potential challenges in this area by being in a walled garden.

Enjoy the headset, vr is amazing. Hope it delivers a long term stream of content for all of us...including experiences I can't have right now somewhere else for cheaper.

Let's see how it's doing ina a year. Sadge.

Lmao, im huge vr advocate and I am literally sat here praising their hardware design and how much I want the headset at the right price but I am wrong to question their weak line up and potential challenges in this area by being in a walled garden.

Enjoy the headset, vr is amazing. Hope it delivers a long term stream of content for all of us...including experiences I can't have right now somewhere else for cheaper.
Same game for cheaper, not same experience for cheaper. PSVR2 is a massively better headset than Quest 2 and you probably already know this but: much better fov, higher resolution, oled hdr, eye tracking, foveated rendering, much more comfortable etc. etc. etc.

Also most Quest games coming to PSVR2 are remastered and look way better by themselves as well.

Apparently headset isn’t for you and that’s fine, but don’t imagine having the same experience in a BMW1 vs a Ferrari. It has the same functions though, both items bring you from place A to B.

Last edited:

skit_data

Nah, having no in house games released for like 6-7 months is not the same as having few i house games at launch. Could definitely be better though.

As expected this thread is full of deflection and hypocrisy. When MS do it they are doomed. When Sony do it then it's all part of the plan and it'll be a success...promise!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Same game for cheaper, not same experience for cheaper. PSVR2 is a massively better headset than Quest 2 and you probably already know this but: much better fov, higher resolution, oled hdr, eye tracking, foveated rendering, much more comfortable etc. etc. etc.

Also most Quest games coming to PSVR2 are remastered and look way better by themselves as well.

Apparently headset isn’t for you and that’s fine, but don’t imagine having the same experience in a BMW1 vs a Ferrari. It has the same functions though, both items bring you from place A to B.

What happens if I have a rift s or a quest 2 and I plug them into my PC?

Like I said the hardware is amazing but as a vr supporter for almost 10 years (yes I had the original rift) what is there for me?

The oled screen, hdr etc is not worth the investment over a PC tethered headset if there isn't the games.

Amazing hardware, in an eco system I would have to re buy into.

I'm all over gt7 when I get one but not 550 into gt7 alone.

I think it's just that I feel that vr followers are already invested, they are the crazies like me or the other end of the scale and got in on the quest 2 hype and are more the wii crowd. They don't care as much about visuals, or if they do they've invested in the PC to hook it up to.

Who is this for with this line up? Those ps5 owners that haven't experienced vr before or have only used the psvr1? I imagine it will deffo be a hit for those and I am very much ejoying reading the impressions from people. It warms my little vr loving heart, but I just think...how many people are there for that?

We will see I guess.

Anyway, let's get back to reading the balanced impressions.

Mephisto40

The PSVR2 isnt a console

That article is literally like somebody buying a new android phone, and then complaining that 80% of the games you can play on it are already available on an IPhone

Last edited:
I think it's funny that people are saying VR modes don't count as separate games... despite that being entirely what they are.

Sony could have released a paid DLC for this or had a stand alone release for VR mode.... how is this any different?

GT7
RE8
Horizon
Beat Saber

Sounds like a good launch to me

Olimbox

Neo Member
PSVR2 is an amazing hardware, no doubt, but at the end I think it all depends on which type of experience you want in VR. I have a quest 2 and psvr 1, but I'm really into AAA vr games.

So my only choise is to stick with PCVR and VR community mods.
I've been playing all Resident Evil in VR, and now I'm on Elden Ring, 65 hours in (in VR) and I can't wait every day to go to bed, put my headset on and go to another world (my pc is in another room by the way, all wirelessly)

Soon will be available an universal UE injector, which will make all UE4 and 5 games playable in VR (with joypad) Already a huge amount of AAA games have been tested.

https://beastsaber.notion.site/beas...dog-s-VR-Mod-23a1d65ae3ed432ab313bb8e0529030d

I'm not involved in this project, I just can't wait it's out :)

UnNamed

Banned
You mean Vita.

Vita failed because of the lack of specific and exclusive games on the platform, with devs that couldn't afford to make games exclusively on Vita.

So we should hope we will see more traditional games with VR modes or it will be very hard to succeed.

Crayon

This is the funniest premise.
you have these games and can hook your quest 2 up to your PC and play them in basically the same quality as psvr2

Seems like there's a pretty big gap between the sets. Particularly the display and fov. If you can upgrade to a next gen system for res, fps, and load times, you can upgrade a headset for oled, hdr, and +20% fov.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is the funniest premise.

Seems like there's a pretty big gap between the sets. Particularly the display and fov. If you can upgrade to a next gen system for res, fps, and load times, you can upgrade a headset for oled, hdr, and +20% fov.

Deffo I would upgrade straight away to psvr2 if it worked on my pc.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
You mean Vita.

Vita failed because of the lack of specific and exclusive games on the platform, with devs that couldn't afford to make games exclusively on Vita.

So we should hope we will see more traditional games with VR modes or it will be very hard to succeed.
Also proprietary storage didn't help. It limited people's transition into digital as it became cost prohibitive and inconvenient to increase storage.

Last edited:
On Day 1 PSVR 2 has Horizon CotM (New Game Built for PSVR 2) GT7 (Full Game) RE Village (Full Game) No Mans Sky (Full Game) and a whole bunch of great 3rd Party and Indie games, who cares if many are available on other VR headsets, good games are good games and like I said, this is Day 1, give it time.

Dark Pictures: Switchback VR is out in a few weeks, so that's another great looking exclusive game coming shortly.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
We should be talking quality over quantity. GT and RE are pretty cool, but what’s their Half-Life?

Sony should provide something like that. This is their second go-around with VR and something tells me they could fund an exclusive game for VR.

Where’s that killer-app? Way too many launches skimping on that aspect these days. There should always be one killer-app at launch. Sorry, I grew up with Mario 64 at launch and the standards aren’t going to be lowered.

StueyDuck

Howcome games media covering VR seem to be so damn clueless.

It's still new tech and most people will only buy one headset. Having "exclusive" games is not at all what makes a decent VR platform.

Probably the worst part. I still can't play resi 4 on the rift-s. It's fucking stupid.

Content in VR right now is king. Not exclusives. Catch a wake up journos.

The install base for vr in general is so small already the last thing we need is exclusivity on all titles. Devs need to sell their games and get as many eyes on their titles. Platform wars can come later

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
IMO the problem is not that most of the games are already available on other platforms.
The problem is that most of these games were originally made for much cheaper and weaker standalone headsets like the Meta Quest, which makes the upgrade much harder to justify.

The PS5 has a >10x faster GPU and >13x more memory bandwidth than the Quest 2 (and then double/triple that difference for foveated rendering + eye tracking), but most of its ported games are made for the former.
Sure, SuperHot is a very cool game, but the Quest 2 is more than enough for SuperHot and we don't needed a PS5 to play it, and the same goes to the other 40 games.

What I mean is that PSVR2 doesn't need to have exclusives, as suggested by the article's author. PSVR2 needs games that justify its advantages over the much cheaper standalone devices, but they don't need to be exclusives.
I don't think games like Horizon Call of the Mountain are the key to PSVR2's success. I think VR adaptations of regular AA/AAA games like Resident Evil VIII and Grand Turismo to the VR format are what's going to make more people adopt VR.

Star Wars Squadrons is a game that brought many more players to VR than Tales from Galaxy's Edge.

Top Bottom