• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the world and characters of Final Fantasy XVI

Kev Kev

Go a few years back. Like to the original.

Edit: You didn't play a Final Fantasy before VII I assume?
I think he referring to the fact that ff9 is a 20 year old game, so crystals is a very traditional theme in FF, and therefore the term mothercrystal fits really well. Yes FF had crystals before 9, but going back 20 years is plenty for him to make his point.

the other poster was suggesting square wasn’t being original, which is insane considering how different each game is. Now, there a recurring things like chocobos, moogles, crystals, summons (which come in a plethora of different names, but in this case were calling them eikons I think, which is a lot like aeons from ff10, and other things like limits, items, weapons and armor also share names from other things in other FF’s).

it’s nothing new at all for them to keep a lot of those things and reuse them in each FF, that way it feels like FF, but they will change up the name a little bit to help keep it fresh. Hence, the completely acceptable and I think, kind of nice sounding name, mothercrystals

Kimahri

Banned
A game by the person behind The Last Remnant cannot go wrong

Very hyped for this

Oh my god, I didn't realize that. The Last Remnant was one of my favorite games of the 360 gen. Hype rising now. Let's hope Tsuyoshi Sekito is also evolved, he's such an amazing composer and he brings that playfulness and creativity that the music in these games really benefit from.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Here is the world map:

final-fantasy-xvi-world-map.jpeg

OsirisBlack

Banned
so lets guess which dominant reside for each nation while added some wild speculation

Rosaria: Pheonix(confirmed)

flag_rosaria.png

Sanbreque: Shiva?
flag_sanbreque.png

(the dragon might related to shiva like how it is in Heavensward, also there chances Dragoon coming from there)

Waloed: Odin?
flag_waloed.png

Dhalmekian: Titan(confirmed)
flag_dhalmekian.png

Iron Kingdom didnt have dominant. so im guessing it probably some advance nation that didnt rely on eikon. There is set of advance gear set called "ironworks" in XIV.
flag_iron.png

also, iron dwarf and iron giant:

tenor.png
3d97a26205526526e9211df59faa14c0.jpg

Crystalline Dominion has no dominant and from the flag we can see other nation emblem there.
flag_crystalline.png

there also probably other eikon in the game, like garuda, ramuh, leviathan etc.
I think you nailed it with the flags and I for one am happy to see Odin back in a main line game. Loving the art direction and cannot wait to see more of this game. Top 3 most anticipated game for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate the more traditional fantasy-like vibe and the art style, but I refuse to get excited for this game until there's a firm release date.

Bkdk

At least the female lead is passable, now in slightly more hopeful to this ff14 single layer expansion.

Teslerum

Yeap but they never reached the cringe of Mothercrystal before.

?

What cringe? The name? Is the name mothership cringy? Sounds more to me like an exact description of its use.

I mean they could use some random french words again, but then we would have people complaining its too artsy and incomprehensible. Or Type-0's peristylium which is the same rough concept but even here you wouldn't make a connection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom