• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the world and characters of Final Fantasy XVI

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/29/introducing-the-world-and-characters-of-final-fantasy-xvi/

MV_EN.png

Hello everyone! This is Naoki Yoshida, producer for Final Fantasy XVI. Everyone here in the development team is currently working together on a massive scale to bring you an all-new game worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Our next major announcement is planned to take place in 2021, but ahead of that, we revealed the Final Fantasy XVI teaser website today.

A Land Blessed in the Light of the Mothercrystals
Final Fantasy XVI’s adventure takes place in a land called Valisthea, which is studded with colossal mountains of glittering crystal called Mothercrystals. These Mothercrystals have towered over the realms around them for generations, blessing them with aether. This blessing of the Mothercrystals has allowed these realms to thrive, and their people to live in comfort.

Three characters swept up by the winds of fate
There was a lot of speculation, but yes, the young knight and the tattooed man in the “Awakening” trailer are one and the same. His name is Clive Rosfield, and he’s the main protagonist of this game. The firstborn son of the Archduke of Rosaria, Clive is a Shield who protects his younger brother Joshua, the Dominant of the Phoenix. Joshua bestowed the Blessing of the Phoenix upon him, giving Clive the ability to wield a part of the Eikon’s fire. However, as the story unfolds, he is swept up into a great tragedy.

50542069191_732990bd4f_h.jpg

More at link

Last edited:

Kumomeme

so lets guess which dominant reside for each nation while added some wild speculation

Rosaria: Pheonix(confirmed)

flag_rosaria.png

Sanbreque: Shiva?
flag_sanbreque.png

(the dragon might related to shiva like how it is in Heavensward, also there chances Dragoon coming from there)

Waloed: Odin?
flag_waloed.png

Dhalmekian: Titan(confirmed)
flag_dhalmekian.png

Iron Kingdom didnt have dominant. so im guessing it probably some advance nation that didnt rely on eikon. There is set of advance gear set called "ironworks" in XIV.
flag_iron.png

also, iron dwarf and iron giant:

tenor.png
3d97a26205526526e9211df59faa14c0.jpg

Crystalline Dominion has no dominant and from the flag we can see other nation emblem there.
flag_crystalline.png

there also probably other eikon in the game, like garuda, ramuh, leviathan etc.

Last edited:
I read the lore in their site, and I could smell Game of Thrones influence. I loved Game of Thrones so I'm not complaining.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
awesome! this is giving me FFXII via FFIX vibes. after the cyberpunk of FFVIIR and the modern fantasy of FFXV this will be a return to classic style. i can't wait!

Teslerum

I read the lore in their site, and I could smell Game of Thrones influence. I loved Game of Thrones so I'm not complaining.

I still don't get why everyone wants to compare this to other franchises. I mean to me it sounds more like a mix of things that already appeared in previous Final Fantasies mixed in with you. Reading some posts here one might think they're just copying popular stuff.

Teslerum

Speaking of which

The land of Valisthea is studded with Mothercrystals—glittering mountains of crystal that tower over the realms around them, blessing them with aether. For generations, people have flocked to these beacons to take advantage of their blessing, using the aether to conjure magicks that let them live lives of comfort and plenty. Great powers have grown up around each Mothercrystal, and an uneasy peace has long reigned between them. Yet now the peace falters as the spread of the Blight threatens to destroy their dominions.

That sounds eerly similiar to Type-0's setting.

Last edited:

Metnut

FF7 Remake put Square and Final Fantasy back on the map for me. Was the first game since FFX that really “felt like FF” if that makes any sense.

This game looks really promising so far. If Square can deliver this in late 2021, and FF7 Remake Part 2 and Project Arthia in 2022, they could really have a monster run.

Last edited:

Myths

Don't forget the Drake, somehow it plays a major role in the progression of humans. This concept sounds like something similar to me. The "Blight" sounds like a plague or some disease that's set in on the world - probably working with the Black Plague mixed with Witch Trials. I'm surprised it just simply wasn't called Chaos.

Next time, message me. I'll give a helping hand too.

Last edited:
So 4 (or 5 depending on Ifrit) dominants aka summoners? I assume one is associated with wind based on the gameplay trailer.
How much do you guys care if party is not controllable?

I still don't get why everyone wants to compare this to other franchises. I mean to me it sounds more like a mix of things that already appeared in previous Final Fantasies mixed in with you. Reading some posts here one might think they're just copying popular stuff.

It's normal for writers to draw influences from other works. I'm sure FFXVI will have is own unique story and not simply an amalgamation of popular fiction. But the influence for sure is there.

Tschumi

I'm in love with this reversion to the more medieval look. Fantasy is just so good in a medieval setting - this, we know.

Edit: fuck it, I'm gonna play ffxii tonight

Last edited by a moderator:

Teslerum

It's normal for writers to draw influences from other works. I'm sure FFXVI will have is own unique story and not simply an amalgamation of popular fiction. But the influence for sure is there.
Is it? Because there's a million other sources as well. They are not unique to Game of Thrones/Witcher/AOT/whatever. Not to mention that a lot of those themes and *influences* people mention here popped up in the franchise before.

And don't get me wrong here, said influence may as well be there. But people are making assumptions on the smallest bit of info.

Top Bottom