• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Introducing the new PlayStation App, redesigned to enhance your gaming experiences on PS4 and PS5

Kerlurk

May 1, 2020
My first thread.

Release date: October 28th, 2020 (Later today, it will roll out to the respective stores)
Requirement: iOS (12.2 or later) and Android (6.0 or later) mobile devices
Version: 20.9.3
Size: 36.91 MB

Prior version is 19.15.0, and it's size was 50.4 MB.

From PlayStation.Blog:

Here’s a list of the key features for PS App:
  • Updated user interface – The first thing you’ll notice is the sleek new user interface of the redesigned PS App. The new home screen lets you quickly see what your friends are playing and access details about your recently played games, including your Trophy List.
  • Messages integration – For a unified experience, the PS Messages app feature will now be integrated in the updated PS App so you can seamlessly message your friends all in one place. As part of this integration, PS Messages will no longer be available as a standalone app. Your existing messages and threads in PS Messages will be carried over to the updated PS App.
  • Voice Chat and Party Groups – You can now create party groups from PS App, and voice chat with up to 15 other friends though your mobile phone. Also, a note to fans: the PlayStation team is looking into your feedback around the Parties changes introduced in the PS4 system software update 8.00. There are no updates to share today, but thanks for speaking up about your concerns – we’re listening and evaluating.
  • Natively integrated PlayStation Store and remote downloads – The new native PS Store experience enables fast and smooth shopping and browsing, with the ability to remotely download games and add-ons directly to your PS4 and PS5.
  • New features for PS5 – When PS5 arrives, you’ll be able to remotely launch games, manage storage on your console if you run out of space while downloading a game, and quickly sign in to PS5 straight from the PS App.
  • All the latest PlayStation news – The Explore tab surfaces Official News from game developers and PS Blog content to help you stay up to date with the world of PlayStation.

To download on Android devices, use this direct link:

Or Google Play store search:

For those on Apple devices:

edit: Post #29 below states:
For anyone wondering regarding update not showing up: Both the App Store and Play Store support staggered rollouts.

edit: From the blog post:
Starting later today, the PS App will begin to roll out globally through updates on iOS (12.2 or later) and Android (6.0 or later) mobile devices.

edit: From Post #5 below:

Oct 29, 2020 Update:
To make sure the Google Play store has the latest version, check the bottom of the app store page, where it lists "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION", and the version will be listed there. It should say "Current Version: 20.9.3". The prior version was 19.15.0.

Here are some YouTube previews/reviews/overviews:
NEW Playstation App Update For iPhone & Android: Voice Chat, Integrated Messages & MORE!
*NEW* PlayStation App UPDATE! (Redesigned UI, Party Chat & MORE!)

Oct 31, 2020 Update:
The new app is not available in certain regions, as it looks like Sony is doing a staggered distribution. This is usually done to test server loads, and for general stability testing. The app is much smaller than before, and is probably a major rewrite along with the new Playstation store.

Some my find, that downloading the APK, and installing that, still won't work for them, as they cannot log into the Playstation network. Sony is probably enabling logins for each region that the app goes live into.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

May 1, 2020
I hope this app works better than the last. It was so shit.

Well if it's anything like the new PlayStation store (on mobile/PC browser), it should be crap, but I think we are looking at an early roll-out with features to be added later. I hope!

The guy at Sony that decided to not integrate the Wishlist in the new store day 1 should be fired.

Notice, the new app is not live yet on my Google Play store. The Play store might be region specific with updates.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Hopefully this and the new Xbox app live up to expectations.

You’d think I’d be doing most of my game purchasing and such on my phone, but these apps are such bad experiences, I genuinely would rather turn on the console, complete with controller text entry, and do it there.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman

Connect. Discover. Control. Chat with friends, get the latest gaming news, and download games to your PS4 or PS5™ console via the official PlayStation companion app.

Find out more:

Last edited:

TimFL

Nov 3, 2013
Germany
Hopefully this and the new Xbox app live up to expectations.

You’d think I’d be doing most of my game purchasing and such on my phone, but these apps are such bad experiences, I genuinely would rather turn on the console, complete with controller text entry, and do it there.
The new Xbox app is a trainwreck. They cut like 3/4th of the old apps functionality. It‘s borderline useless for most people now.

I hope this at least goes for feature parity first and foremost.

Reactions: -Arcadia-

vkbest

Jan 23, 2017
Is this released? My iPad app is identical to before. In fact the last update is from 7 months ago

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Dec 9, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
Seems like a good improvement over the previous shit one.

But not available to download for me, latest available version is from March.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Mar 31, 2014
Still have the old one here, hoping the new one is good and fully native, Sony leaned on webviews too much in the 8th gen

TimFL

Nov 3, 2013
Germany
For anyone wondering regarding update not showing up: Both the App Store and Play Store support staggered rollouts. Could be that Sony goes the smart route and only ships this to a handful of users at a time, to prevent their servers from going sudoku or any game breakers ruining the show.

Reactions: Kerlurk

R6Rider

Jan 22, 2020
USA
For anyone wondering regarding update not showing up: Both the App Store and Play Store support staggered rollouts. Could be that Sony goes the smart route and only ships this to a handful of users at a time, to prevent their servers from going sudoku or any game breakers ruining the show.

Should have rolled it out ahead of time instead of the new trailer for it stating "Available Now"

Last edited:

DispatchNinja

Oct 16, 2020
I like it a lot better than the previous version. A lot of my games are missing under the purchased tab though, and my Miles Morales pre-order shows standard edition instead of ultimate.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
I want to be able to view my captured screenshots and videos through the app. Until that happens I dont really care.

Karmic Raze

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2018
I can’t edit my profile or go into settings. It just keeps sayings connection to the server was lost. Also, with the way this is set up, does this mean profile pics/avatars on PS5 will be circular instead of square now?

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Jan 24, 2015
I can’t edit my profile or go into settings. It just keeps sayings connection to the server was lost. Also, with the way this is set up, does this mean profile pics/avatars on PS5 will be circular instead of square now?
Working for me just fine. Try again in a bit.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Can confirm it’s rubbish on iPad. Vertical only. Cheap bastards just upsized the phone app.

ReLaxative

Neo Member
Oct 22, 2020
Well if it's anything like the new PlayStation store (on mobile/PC browser), it should be crap, but I think we are looking at an early roll-out with features to be added later. I hope!

The guy at Sony that decided to not integrate the Wishlist in the new store day 1 should be fired.

I'm pretty sure they will add essential features soon. But forget the wishlist, I need the search to work properly. What's the point in having wishlist if you can't find the game you want to wishlist :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fake

Dec 20, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Brazil here. I got my update yesterday. I like the UI, but the Playstation Store is a mess.

Last edited:

ethomaz

is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
It is updated 15 hours ago on iOS.

The PS Store now is in-app and really easy and good now.

Last edited:

wvnative

Feb 10, 2016
I'm in the US on android and it doesn't seem to be deployed yet. Sony what are ya doing?