• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing PlayStation Stars – An all new loyalty program

pasterpl

Xbox has some kind of shit like this where you get points doing quests or whatever. I never cared for it. I dont even know how many points I have.

But since the PS awards thing is free, it's always good to have free awards programs tacked onto daily usage. Cant lose situation.
Ms rewards are free to join. You don’t even need to have an Xbox to signup and get free stuff.

Wait, how do you do this? Simple Instructions for a moron like me please

I use google chrome extensions.

This for bing searches. Just follow the instructions.

And this for the quizzes and surveys. You still need to click them but it'll answer for you

Same instructions as above. Just extract, load unpacked and select the ABS folder

Obviously use at your own risk yadayada

Last edited:

RCU005

So MS rewards but without the browser points. Brilliant 😁 easy money this shit.

I believe the standard to measure a reward program is the old Club Nintendo. How does this measure to that? I mean not even Nintendo is able to do that anymore.

Sleepwalker

Just remembered to sign up to microsoft rewards and apparently i had 13k points from 2018. Did all the stupid tasks, is there anyway to automate the daily process tho?

bender

What time is it?
The previous program (Sony Rewards) was never great and got progressively worse before finally being cancelled a year ago. Happy to have something in its' place though.

I just can wait to see I got nothing while sending more than 700 euros in the PS4 area on PS Store... and I would not care anyway.

Is it something teens want, love? A kind of new trend? Something USA love? I've never seen this on Twiitter in Europe.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What, Sony being incredibly lazy about their back catalogue? Not really, it seemed like they were actually about to do something about it with the PS+ revamp and then it turned out to be a pile of nothing. I mean, it's fine, I'll continue to have my PS3 plugged in under my TV forever, it's just a shame that they can't pull their finger out and dump their classics catalogue onto the current store.

Maybe the new PS+ will look much better in a year or whatever but it was so disappointing at launch.

Disappointing to people that wanted the PS+ revamp to be mainly about ps1, ps2, and psp games. I get that, but I always thought the PS+ revamp was going to be more GamePass like (targeting newer games more). Sony Execs have said how much they hate backwards compatiablity.

I think the only person that loved Playstation BC was Ken Kutaragi.
He’s right though. The ps premium support of ps1, psp, and ps2 is a joke after the way they talked about it before launch. Sony has an amazing bunch of games on PS1 and PS2 that they don’t support for reasons nobody seems to understand.

No, he is right about Sony's approach to their ps1, psp, and ps2 support. But that shouldn't stop them from using those marketing terms.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Animated GIF

Bragr

Banned
With rewards points you can easily pay for Gamepass in just one month. I think you're outdated or don't know them well. If you are consistent, you can earn 200 euros a year for GamepassUltimate, gift carts (games, DLCs, controls, add-onsHardware, consoles,...) or transform them into money for gasoline, various stores.

I am still surprised by the fact that not so many people know the benefits of Rewards. It would be funny if it began to be known more now with the announcement of its "copy" by Playstation.
It's the opposite, that people still support MS Rewards is madness. Map out how much time you use on this, and it's gonna be quite a few hours a month. That's not a rewards program, that's a scam program. It's like facebook would pay you 1 dollar a week for liking 100 posts per day.

Davevil

That's a lie, you have to do a lot more than a survey a day to get enough points to pull that off, you also have to play the point games, and do all the little shitty things they demand of you.

Microsoft rewards turn you into an ad-bot, clicking trash for Microsoft to drive their internet presence and algorithms, you have to work for them every day for months to get anything. It's a complete fuck-shit scam to trick kids who have no money into working for them.

Track how many hours you spend on this a month, and you will see the absolute horseshit nonsense they make you do for a buck.
No

The digital collectibles are the coolest part for me; I was thinking they would wait until reintroducing PS Home (which I would think waits until PS6, if you can implement it is a VR-compatible UI frontend for that system. I don't know if they have enough spare RAM and processing power to do something like that with PS5 but I could be wrong) before doing something like this, but any kind of representation for legacy IPs will be appreciated, even as digital figurines.

Being able to showcase them off to people viewing your profile info, I think they can expand it even further in the future to some meta CCG with characters from various games you earn in the ecosystem. Think something like HFW Strikers or Gwent, but not tied down to a single game and being available for the whole ecosystem across all games. Just some fun side things you can do here and there.

Also for the retro fan in me getting Japanese-style PS1 & PS2 virtual boxart as collectible rewards for certain modern games would be awesome.

With rewards points you can easily pay for Gamepass in just one month. I think you're outdated or don't know them well. If you are consistent, you can earn 200 euros a year for GamepassUltimate, gift carts (games, DLCs, controls, add-onsHardware, consoles,...) or transform them into money for gasoline, various stores.

I am still surprised by the fact that not so many people know the benefits of Rewards. It would be funny if it began to be known more now with the announcement of its "copy" by Playstation.

PS Stars, at least the parts with getting stuff for in-game accomplishments, isn't really a "copycat", Sony's done something like this as far back as the PS3 days. It was just more disjointed and less seamless, and I think they scaled it way back sometime after the PS4's launch. But it's been there in one form or another for over a decade.

As for MS Reard points, I know they're readily available to get if you use their Edge browser, do things like quizzes and the such, shopping through Edge (or a plug-in with other browsers like Chrome), etc. But hearing some of the stuff you can get through redeeming them sounds wild, like paying entire months-worth of GamePass Ultimate and the such. Surely there has to be a limit to how much an account can redeem, right? Otherwise you're probably going to get a lot of power users who abuse it for all it's worth.

Getting discounts and stuff on things like food (I'm guessing maybe like with fast food orders, tho I don't think I've had any offers to turn MS Reward points toward Grubhub or Doordash orders) and gasoline is neat, though.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The digital collectibles are the coolest part for me; I was thinking they would wait until reintroducing PS Home (which I would think waits until PS6, if you can implement it is a VR-compatible UI frontend for that system. I don't know if they have enough spare RAM and processing power to do something like that with PS5 but I could be wrong) before doing something like this, but any kind of representation for legacy IPs will be appreciated, even as digital figurines.

Being able to showcase them off to people viewing your profile info, I think they can expand it even further in the future to some meta CCG with characters from various games you earn in the ecosystem. Think something like HFW Strikers or Gwent, but not tied down to a single game and being available for the whole ecosystem across all games. Just some fun side things you can do here and there.

Also for the retro fan in me getting Japanese-style PS1 & PS2 virtual boxart as collectible rewards for certain modern games would be awesome.

My worry is that it'll go unused like the Accolades feature. I bet people forget that even exists on the PS5 because so few games use them.

My worry is that it'll go unused like the Accolades feature. I bet people forget that even exists on the PS5 because so few games use them.

Well, the collectibles aren't really something you "use", they're just things you get and they sit in a digital collection. Even if it's just the player who earns them looking at them, they serve their purpose. It's not necessarily the same as the Accolades feature.

Accolades has good intentions behind it but most players online just don't care to give positive feedback, only to either trash talk or gloat about their own skills 😂. Digital collectible rewards kind of feed into a sense of ownership that probably will make some want to boast about what they get, so it aughta get used a lot more by default.

Bigfroth

Be a good little gamer and
Awesome Fun GIF by Mochicloud
I wonder what type of rewards like a Hibachi Grill or a set of shitty Wilson golf clubs.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Disappointing to people that wanted the PS+ revamp to be mainly about ps1, ps2, and psp games. I get that, but I always thought the PS+ revamp was going to be more GamePass like (targeting newer games more).

No, I wanted the top tier which is focused almost entirely on retro titles and claims "A catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations" to not be a gigantic waste of time. There's hundreds of PS1 games alone stranded on the PS3 store that could have made their way over and we got practically nothing.

Darsxx82

It's the opposite, that people still support MS Rewards is madness. Map out how much time you use on this, and it's gonna be quite a few hours a month. That's not a rewards program, that's a scam program. It's like facebook would pay you 1 dollar a week for liking 100 posts per day.
cary-elwes-robinhood.gif

PS Stars, at least the parts with getting stuff for in-game accomplishments, isn't really a "copycat", Sony's done something like this as far back as the PS3 days. It was just more disjointed and less seamless, and I think they scaled it way back sometime after the PS4's launch. But it's been there in one form or another for over a decade.

I already knew Sony's previous proposal, but it is far from the options and possibilities of Rewards. The fact that they have created a new initiative has a lot to do with responding to Rewards. Maybe yes, it would have been better to call it "rewards response" instead of "copy".

As for MS Reard points, I know they're readily available to get if you use their Edge browser, do things like quizzes and the such, shopping through Edge (or a plug-in with other browsers like Chrome), etc. But hearing some of the stuff you can get through redeeming them sounds wild, like paying entire months-worth of GamePass Ultimate and the such. Surely there has to be a limit to how much an account can redeem, right? Otherwise you're probably going to get a lot of power users who abuse it for all it's worth.
In Rewards there is no limitation. You can convert the points you want to gift cards and without time or quantity limitations.
That it begins to be known and MS decides to limit the exchange of points? I don't know, so far it hasn't. The only thing it did was remove the ability to give away rewards points to other "family" accounts. There was abuse there because you could create several accounts and combine the points and accumulate up to €600 in the year. I know people who have achieved them.
Getting discounts and stuff on things like food (I'm guessing maybe like with fast food orders, tho I don't think I've had any offers to turn MS Reward points toward Grubhub or Doordash orders) and gasoline is neat, though.
In the "redeem" tab in the rewards app, you have different points conversion options. Among them are gift cards from different stores and companies. They vary from country to country. In mine (Spain) there is exchange for Cepsa (gasoline), Amazon, Zalando, ElCorteingles (supermarket and shopping center), and others...... As well as options for donations to social organizations....

Of course, the change is 25% lower in € than what MS gives you if you use them for your Store.

Last edited:
cary-elwes-robinhood.gif

I already knew Sony's previous proposal, but it is far from the options and possibilities of Rewards. The fact that they have created a new initiative has a lot to do with responding to Rewards. Maybe yes, it would have been better to call it "rewards response" instead of "copy".

Is it really a "response", though? I don't think Rewards are used so much throughout the Xbox ecosystem or install base, or that it's such an option to sway public perception, that it generated a need for a direct response. Again, they've had these types of rewards in more rudimentary ways for many years, and it's an easy perk to give to your audience if you want to have more ways to keep them engaged in your ecosystem.

Though talking technically, it seems MS Rewards dates back to 2005 with Xbox Live Points, so they may've been among the first to do this kind of thing.

In Rewards there is no limitation. You can convert the points you want to gift cards and without time or quantity limitations.
That it begins to be known and MS decides to limit the exchange of points? I don't know, so far it hasn't. The only thing it did was remove the ability to give away rewards points to other "family" accounts. There was abuse there because you could create several accounts and combine the points and accumulate up to €600 in the year. I know people who have achieved them.

That's interesting to learn of now. Again for most gamers I don't think this type of stuff is critical to them, but they're nice perks to have. Companies offering these type of things have to do so within their means, and what partnerships they can land and deals they can strike.

With that in mind I think it's kind of silly the people trying to compare it directly with MS Rewards, not all Rewards programs have to function the same or offer the same kind of perks.

In the "redeem" tab in the rewards app, you have different points conversion options. Among them are gift cards from different stores and companies. They vary from country to country. In mine (Spain) there is exchange for Cepsa (gasoline), Amazon, Zalando, ElCorteingles (supermarket and shopping center), and others...... As well as options for donations to social organizations....

Of course, the change is 25% lower in € than what MS gives you if you use them for your Store.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS Rewards has something with Sam's Club or BJ's here in America, if it's that wide-reaching.

Trophy hunters:
giphy.gif

Isn't this PlayStation's like... third loyalty program?

There was the MVP program from 2014, there's Sony Rewards which is tied quite well to PSN if I recall, and... Qore?
As far as I've seen Sony Rewards gives you points for buying any Sony products from their official online stores, not just playstation products. It's way more useful than this new program that's only for playstation, and Sony Rewards rewarded enough points at a given time for me to actually make some decent purchases with them. There are still a ton of people here who might have forgotten about it and are sitting on thousands of points worth a purchase. I don't think this new plan will interfere with that(I hope not) as this sounds like it's more for rewarding trophy hunters.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This is great! New features are always welcome.

As for MS, I've never done a survey or actively used the browser to get MS points. You get plenty by just playing games and Iike others in here, I've snagged a heap of free games and $5 top-ups over the years.

Also, the MS shitposting is getting real tired now.
"lol at gamepass.... until Sony does it"
"lol at MS rewards.... until Sony does it"

War never changes.

TLZ

Banned
He talks so much about celebrating PS history, loyalty and memories, but all we have is 50+ BC games from PS1, PS2 and PSP out of maybe more than 3000.

Not cool Jim.

Chronicle

“Fuck you, Sony, for decades of video game entertainment that I’ve only just now decided wasn’t worth the money I chose to spend on it. Now give me something I haven’t earned.”
Two things:

1. When did i say it wasnt worth the money?

2. How in the fuck does patronage not equal customer service? Ie the odd reward? You need to learn about business but I suppose your a millenial.

Here's an example: guy spends lots of money in a pub. Pub gives him a free drink on the house once in a while or waves a entrance fee etc. Some other dude at the pub picks up the pretty girl at the counter. Why should he be rewarded for that?

True story: I used to bartend. We bought drinks for regulars all the time. 'It's on the house.' You bring good business, spend money and are a good customer. It makes them feel great and they keep coming back. One evening some random dude walked behind my bar and tried to take piss in the alley between my busy bar and the back office. I'm like 'wtf! You can't piss here! Get out of here!' He says "But I'm a banker!" Who gives a fuck! Bounced!

Launch Schedule:
  • Asia, including Japan: September 29 (local time)
  • North and South America: October 5 (local time)
  • Europe and Australia: October 13 (local time)

Rewards:
  • Loyalty points
  • Digital collectibles
Points can be redeemed for:
  • PSN wallet funds
  • Exclusive digital collectibles
  • PlayStation Store products.
PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store.

Digital Collectibles:
Digital collectibles are beautifully rendered, digital representations of things that PlayStation fans enjoy:
  • Figurines of beloved and iconic characters (games and other forms of entertainment)
  • Cherished devices that tap into Sony's history of innovation.
There will be new collectibles to earn regularly, ultra-rare collectibles to strive for, or something surprising to collect just for fun.
Digital collectibles can be arranged on a display case within the PlayStation App.

Digital collectibles are created just for our loyalty program. They cannot be resold or traded. Digital collectibles can only be earned or acquired through PlayStation Stars.

image.png

This is great. All i wanted from this program was the ability to get wallet funds.

Yeah, sony is basically diverting funds for increased player engagement which is a win/win for us. I don’t really care about the collectibles (as of now) but the rest is free money even if its only a few bucks here and there.

I love the eshop rewards

Last edited:

Markio128

Yeah, im not really sure why they didn’t lead with real world reward points instead of digital collectibles to begin with.
I use the Switch reward system quite often, which builds funds from digital purchases and it has saved me a decent wedge on new games, so something similar for PS5 would be great.

Top Bottom