• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing PlayStation Stars – An all new loyalty program

Microsoft Rewards is a scam. Nintendo points are pretty great and actually give you value. We will see where this lands.

What are blathering on about? If anything it's the other way around. I've literally bought dozens of free games using points. My last purchase was Klonoa which 30 of it was in points which took me roughly a month and a half to save up.

GHG

Gold Member
Oh damn now we have to worry about blue socks too.

Edit: oh, it's not an ambassador's program just one designed to make you play more.

Ambassadors are next.

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Jim said it's time to even the odds and fight fire with fire.

What are you talking about?

You have to play games and browse their shitty search engine for months to cover even one month of Game Pass.
Wrong. If you are only saving points for gamepass you can generally earn enough points to redeem about a month and a half of gamepass every single month. Therefore keeping it going as long as you wish for free. Now that isn't what I do. I'll just get 3 years old gold off a vpn from a poor country like Turkey or Brazil and do the converting trick. I'll save those points for games.

Davevil

You have to play games and browse their shitty search engine for months to cover even one month of Game Pass.
5 minute of survey and browse searching every day and you get constantly 3 month of free Game Pass every 2 month, and so go on.

Wait a fucking second

"be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone."

That means only gaming journalists, youtubers, and influencer will win, since they always get the games early? WTF is this nonsense. So stupid lmao

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's what they had tied to their credit card Sony Rewards program, just opened for everyone and seemingly expanded upon.

But they recently nerfed that big time. Now you only get like 1 point for a purchase and it takes forever just to earn enough for a $10 PSN card. This says PS+ subscribers will earn points for purchases, so it sounds like they're restoring it to what it used to be; you just need to pay for PS+ to get that benefit now.

DaGwaphics

Wait a fucking second

"be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone."

That means only gaming journalists, youtubers, and influencer will win, since they always get the games early? WTF is this nonsense. So stupid lmao

They should localize it even more, maybe via zip code or something. But, I guess the time zone thing is more consistent on a global basis.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But they recently nerfed that big time. Now you only get like 1 point for a purchase and it takes forever just to earn enough for a $10 PSN card. This says PS+ subscribers will earn points for purchases, so it sounds like they're restoring it to what it used to be; you just need to pay for PS+ to get that benefit now.
Yeah, it was fire when you could earn 3x to 5x the points, plus all them trophy collecting points. There was a time I never had to buy the games I wanted since I was swimming in rewards points, lol. So I can see why they scaled back a bit.

Last edited:

Jormatar

So I assume you get some cash to your PSN wallet by staying subscribed to PS Plus and buying games from PS Store? If so, count me in lol.

Please work worldwide so MS up their game and make their shitty Ms rewards worldwide instead of only supporting a few countries.

Any geographical restrictions? In the past, those reward systems were limited to the US.
Later this year, it will roll out to regions worldwide, including Asia, the Americas, Europe and more.

It's a WW thing. Source here

Bragr

Banned
$30 was in a giftcard redeemed with microsoft reward points. $10 was in real cash. I normally would have held out and saved the other $10 in points but I really wanted to play Klonoa day 1.
How much achievement hunting and ad-clicking did you have to do to get those 30 dollars though?

Topher

Gold Member
Good! Love rewards programs.

You should have kept up with it. It takes like 2 minutes and then you try some games, I've redeemed a free MS headset, and bought some games from the store. It's like $200 a year in free stuff.

Exactly. I've had Game Pass Ultimate since last year and it is paid up until January. 100% funded by Microsoft Rewards.

Rykan

What? What does this have to do with the thread?
The "physical only!" extremist will never miss an opportunity to complain about digital games. Only for games, mind you. None of them still buy CDs and you can bet they have a Netflix sub as well.

Bragr

Banned
5 minute of survey and browse searching every day and you get constantly 3 month of free Game Pass every 2 month, and so go on.
That's a lie, you have to do a lot more than a survey a day to get enough points to pull that off, you also have to play the point games, and do all the little shitty things they demand of you.

Microsoft rewards turn you into an ad-bot, clicking trash for Microsoft to drive their internet presence and algorithms, you have to work for them every day for months to get anything. It's a complete fuck-shit scam to trick kids who have no money into working for them.

Track how many hours you spend on this a month, and you will see the absolute horseshit nonsense they make you do for a buck.

DaGwaphics

That's a lie, you have to do a lot more than a survey a day to get enough points to pull that off, you also have to play the point games, and do all the little shitty things they demand of you.

Microsoft rewards turn you into an ad-bot, clicking trash for Microsoft to drive their internet presence and algorithms, you have to work for them every day for months to get anything. It's a complete fuck-shit scam to trick kids who have no money into working for them.

Track how many hours you spend on this a month, and you will see the absolute horseshit nonsense they make you do for a buck.

The GP quests? They generally don't make you do much for those, tbh. But it does give you a goal and keeps you in the game long enough to get a feel for it. Otherwise it's just picking A or B in a hot take or the picture matching thing or little pop culture quizzes with like 6 or 7 questions.

I think Sony should consider some PS Premium exclusive "quests" that tie in with the demos they are offering. It rewards the player and offers incentive to really make use of them which would help the demos be more successful at converting to sales.

Last edited:
How much achievement hunting and ad-clicking did you have to do to get those 30 dollars though?

I'm lazy as shit. If my time investment was more than 5 minutes a day I rather not do it. I only do the achievement based objectives when I'm playing a game anyways. I did the math, I average around 16-18k points a month and like I said I'm not always disciplined. My lifetime points since January 2021 is about 310k.

Topher

Gold Member

That's not true at all. One month of Game Pass Ultimate is 12,000 points. You can earn 500 points by clicking on the tiles on the Rewards page, doing a quiz, and a few searches. Takes a few minutes each day. Do that every day for 30 and you've got 15,000 points. Typically I wait and earn 35,000 points to get three months at a time.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nice. Since January 2021 I've made around $310 in MS Reward Points. Total time invested is around 5 minutes a day and $0.

That’s 560 days.

560 x 5 minutes = 2800 minutes.

2800 minutes = 46 and a half hours.

I earn over £400 a week after tax for my 36 hour per week job.

$310 is approx £260. £260 for 46 and a half hours of my time is absolutely not worth it, and it’s why I don’t do the surveys anymore. I just use Bing as my browser to accumulate points.

I’d only go back to doing the surveys if I was unemployed or if I could turn back time to be a kid again.

Topher

Gold Member
That’s 560 days.

$310 is approx £260. £260 for 46 and a half hours of my time is absolutely not worth it, and it’s why I don’t do the surveys anymore. I just use Bing as my browser to accumulate points.

I’d only go back to doing the surveys if I was unemployed or if I could turn back time to be a kid again.

I'm going to spend at least five minutes each morning sitting on the toilet so.....

💩 => 💲

Bragr

Banned
I'm lazy as shit. If my time investment was more than 5 minutes a day I rather not do it. I only do the achievement based objectives when I'm playing a game anyways. I did the math, I average around 16-18k points a month and like I said I'm not always disciplined. My lifetime points since January 2021 is about 310k.
You are lazy as shit but spend hours a month working for points from Microsoft? they got you tricked. Earning around 15k a month requires following the game pass quests and all the extra stuff they put out, and that stuff gets time-consuming, you spend a lot more time on this than you think.

That’s 560 days.

I work from home and do this as I'm drinking my morning coffee starting my job. Sometimes I'm even on the shitter. I don't and have never considered this "work". It's just a cool way to get free games.

That’s 560 days.

I just let one of those bots do it for me lol

I absolutely wouldn't bother without it

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That’s 560 days.

You put way too much thought into the surveys and the searches. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yep, I wrote a script that handles all the bing searches for me. Got one that runs on my desktop and another I ported into an Android app.

:messenger_beaming:

I just click through the headlines on the Bing home page, maxes out the browser based points everyday.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

With rewards points you can easily pay for Gamepass in just one month. I think you're outdated or don't know them well. If you are consistent, you can earn 200 euros a year for GamepassUltimate, gift carts (games, DLCs, controls, add-onsHardware, consoles,...) or transform them into money for gasoline, various stores.

I am still surprised by the fact that not so many people know the benefits of Rewards. It would be funny if it began to be known more now with the announcement of its "copy" by Playstation.

DaGwaphics

Let’s not BS. I speed spam all of the surveys and questionnaires (the optional ones too), but (on mobile at least) it does take around 5 minutes.

I just use a desktop for all of it. I can click through the news articles and do the rewards homepage things in under a minute. Speed of M&K I guess. An android VM will let you quickly grab those mobile points.

There are always a few things where I have genuine interest in something and read an article from a link, I don't include that time.

As far as GP quests go, I enjoy trying different games and that's just part of my gaming time. A lot of times that's how these types of reward programs work, I'm a gamer and if I can spend a minute or two of my gaming time to complete these I get the rewards. And those rewards are just from this, so, I will spend those rewards on gaming related things without ever giving it a second thought. I've bought a couple games that normally I would have waited for a better sale or cdkeys or something or that I was on the fence about, but it was just rewards points. If you are figuring it like a job, these types of programs aren't for you. Plus, you get the points for some of the new releases, if you are going to buy those anyway, might as well get the discount.

If you look at it as a perk for doing a few specific things with your gaming time, these things can be rewarding and fun. Hopefully that's the way it goes for the Sony program as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom