• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Passkey for PlayStation

Saiyan-Rox

FWIW I signed up with my titan security key just fine

but it signed me out of the app. So signed back in and no device I owned would allow the security key to validate me....Android browsers said no. my windows PC blocks titan securuity keys if asked to validate them via the OS so I had to reset my damn password to get back in.

Ragin

SRTtoZ

I created my key using windows. Can anyone actually sign in with mobile? I can't. It just shows a QR code and if I try to scan it it just sits at "connecting" forever. This is supposed to be easier than a password and it's not. Gonna switch back asap.

Edit: Switched back. I just don't get it. What's the point of it? How is it more or less safe than a regular password with 2fa? Like even now if someone gets my password, they can't do jack shit b/c they don't know my 2fa code that they text me every time someone tries to sign in. This seems overly redundant. I would have used it if it just worked but I couldn't use to sign into mobile so it was quite useless to me.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I created my key using windows. Can anyone actually sign in with mobile? I can't. It just shows a QR code and if I try to scan it it just sits at "connecting" forever. This is supposed to be easier than a password and it's not. Gonna switch back asap.

Edit: Switched back. I just don't get it. What's the point of it? How is it more or less safe than a regular password with 2fa? Like even now if someone gets my password, they can't do jack shit b/c they don't know my 2fa code that they text me every time someone tries to sign in. This seems overly redundant. I would have used it if it just worked but I couldn't use to sign into mobile so it was quite useless to me.
I get your frustration. For accessing things on a PC device, for example chrome web browser etc, you'll need a pass key for windows. And for mobile on Android, I needed another one for Google. The passkey requirement is driven by the devices OS.

The advantage is that you then just use the devices OS sign in method. For example on mobile I just now use my fingerprint biometric sign in. And for my PC I just use my Windows pin. All of which is far easier than using separate authenticator app and 2fa repeatedly all the time. But yes, it's a little confusing initially setting up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom