• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with Yoko Taro, Takahisa Taura and Keiichi Okabe About Life, Death, And Opportunity.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...a-taura-and-composer-keiichi-okabe-about-life
With Nier: Automata, you guys won a Game Developer Conference award. How do you feel about that?

Yoko: We heard it was a user's choice award where the players themselves select the winners, so I'm just really happy that the players have selected our game for winning the award.

How did PlatinumGames and Yoko-san first meet on Nier? Why did you decide on that project versus something like another Drakengard or a new IP as a whole?

Taura: I loved the previous Nier title, I was actually went to Square Enix saying "Please let us create a Nier sequel, because you haven't done anything with it for a long time." At the same time, there was coincidentally Saito-san, the producer for Nier: Automata, talking with Yoko-san that they wanted to do something together. It just so happened that it was the right time, right place and we met for the first time when we started this project.

When you started working on the Automata, did you know what it was going to be? Did you have an idea in your head of what a Nier sequel would look like after the first game?

Yoko: Not at all, I had no ideas for a sequel in mind. When I first heard that we might do a collaboration with PlatinumGames, the image I had of them is that they only create Sci-Fi action games. When I thought of that, I thought of what part of the Nier storyline might fit in with that Sci-Fi action gaming sequence, I selected the themes for Automata because I felt it just fits in with the PlatinumGames style.

PlatinumGames has a reputation for fast, often-challenging action games, but Nier: Automata is a lot easier. Was that intentional to keep it closer to the first Nier or perhaps a consequence of trying to make PlatinumGames action more mainstream?

Taura: That's actually exactly the reason why. Saito-san from Square Enix told us when the project started that, since the original Nier has a lot of female fans and a lot of non-action gamer fans, to make the game as fun and accessible as possible to people who aren't accustomed to playing difficult action games. We always thought of making the game into something that's fun to play for newcomers to the action game field, but also to the more experienced players as well.

One of the usual tropes of PlatinumGames is that, as the game goes on, it tends to escalate more and more to an explosive finale. Nier: Automata kind of messes with that formula a little bit by Ending A being a little bit more subdued and low-key and then goes up again and again until it finishes with endings D and E. Is that something you had to work with Yoko-san about, where the escalation and pacing would best fit the gameplay?

Taura: In terms of like a climax or increasing the difficulty level toward the end, it's not that different from our other titles, or at least we didn't feel like it was that different. The one major difference was that this was the first game that I've at least worked that had the leveling up element in it. So as long as you level up your character, the boss would be easier to defeat, but if you don't, then some of the enemies toward the end of the game would be very difficult. For me, the balancing between the difficulty level of stages and bosses versus the levels the player might be was the difficult part in creating this game.

One thing that we really had it easy with in this game is that Yoko-san's scenario and Okabe-san's music, once it's mixed into the battle, makes a really menial and indifferent battle sequence suddenly becomes this dramatic and grandiose battle with everything at stake, so I felt like that really helped elevate our battle sequences as well. We did have an easy time thanks to that!
Full interview is on the link.

I would LOVE to see Yoko Taro's next game be all about Emil

Last edited:

Raven117

Such a fantastic collaboration. I’m still in awe the game was made at all.

I hope Yoko is given another project where he can go nuts. (Though it may help him to have another balancing force to temper him a bit)

Danjin44

I hope Yoko is given another project where he can go nuts. (Though it may help him to have another balancing force to temper him a bit)
I was always fan of his works since the first Drakengard. With Automata he finally got decent budget and great team for his game.

Whats amazing about all of this is Automata still mange sell very well with next to no marketing while coming out in a year that both big name Japanese and Western games got released.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

as long as P* still co-op with him, i'm in. Yoko alone, no

Danjin44

as long as P* still co-op with him, i'm in. Yoko alone, no
It doesn't have to be Platinum Games, I actually love to see Yoko Taro work with these guys once.
studio-zero.jpg

Raven117

I was always fan of his works since the first Drakengard. With Automata he finally got decent budget and great team for his game.

Whats amazing about all of this is Automata still mange sell very well with next to no marketing while coming out in a year that both big name Japanese and Western games got released.

Yup. It was purely through the fans of the first neir that the second found any kind of footing. (Still the best 6 bucks I spend in gaming... playing neir out of the bargain bin at GameStop)

Danjin44

Mother of gawd. This would be amazing.
Think about this. What if Atlus made series out of Golden Playhouse and each game has its own unique dark story and gameplay that relates to story just like Catherine. One of them is directed by Yoko Taro, he be perfect for dark stories like we got with Catherine.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Raven117

Think about this. What if Atlus made series out of Golden Playhouse and each game has its own unique dark story and gameplay that relates to story just like Catherine. One of them is directed by Yoko Taro, he be perfect for dark stories like we got with Catherine.
maxresdefault.jpg
Don’t you even play with my heart like that.

h3ad0rZ

That was a really good interview. Many interesting questions were asked and I've learned a few new things.

Danjin44

Well then, we might looking at best TGS!

It’s about time Yoko Taro announcing his next game, I don’t care it’s next NieR, Drakengard 4 or whole new IP, I just to see another game from him.

Brazen

Yeah its getting about time for another philosophical-twisting story with a heartbreaking cast from Taro with a dose of eargasmic inducing Okabe tunes to set the mood. Don't mind Platinum helming the gameplay again either. My bets on Ni3R though from a branding purpose alone after the runaway success of Automata, especially if a bigger budget is involved.

Top Bottom