• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview: CD PROJEKT Red John Mamais talks Cyberpunk 2077 creation, VR, DLC, Nintendo Switch, and more.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I recently sat down with CD PROJEKT Red’s John Mamais to talk about the studio’s highly-anticipated Cyberpunk 2077 video game which is due out later this year on Xbox One, PC, and PS4.

We talked about the creation of the futuristic world in which the game is set, cyberpunk inspirations, possible third-person perspectives, immersive sound design, censorship issues in Australia, and the potential (or lack thereof) for a Cyberpunk 2077 release on Nintendo Switch and a VR version.

Any plans for Cyberpunk 2077 on Nintendo Switch?

Not as far as I know. Not yet. I don’t know if Cyberpunk 2077 would work on the Nintendo Switch. It might be too heavy for it. But then, we did put Witcher 3 on it and we thought that would be too heavy too but somehow we pulled it off.

One of the first thoughts I had after seeing the initial E3 presentation was how much Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it would be suited for VR. Have you guys thought about bringing the game to VR platforms in the future?

We tried. We were thinking about VR but, yeah, we’re not doing anything with VR. We got the VR dev kits but…

Wasn’t a good fit?

Some things would work in VR but, I think, it’s not really viable yet. You’re not making a lot of money in VR yet. It’s very experimental and niche, yeah. I would like to. I like VR but we’re not doing anything with it yet.

Cyberpunk 2077 will run in 4K Ultra HD when played on an Xbox One X console. Has there been any discussion about improvements for when the game’s played on the upcoming Xbox Series X?

Most AAA developers have that stuff [Xbox Series X dev tools] but we’re not focusing on that yet. We’re focusing on current gen.

Cyberpunk 2077 has had a heavy association with Microsoft and Xbox since its proper reveal at E3. How has it been for CD PROJEKT Red collaborating with Microsoft?

We’ve had a long relationship with Microsoft. We had the Witcher 3 announcement at E3 at the Microsoft conference, so I think, given that existing relationship, it’s been easier for us to move forward with those guys.

After Witcher 3, we got more famous in a way. More reputable as a game developer. People knew who we were so it was easier for us to work with Microsoft who helped us establish certain conditions for how we would present the game at these conferences.

check the link for more.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me they should do what Ubisoft did with Mario + Rabbits, make a entirely new game for Switch. It's better than trying to port PS4/X1 game that might not able to run that well on Switch.

I'd rather see a solid port of The Witcher 2, than a severely downgraded Cyberpunk 2077 for Switch to be honest.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only person thinking that. lol

Last edited:
Shits Irrelevant for me, just don't care or give a F what they do anymore, after lies and dirty business moves behind curtains..pre-order cancelled the minute I heard jibberish coming out their mouth..10yrs in the making, bs continues.

...at some point will get it for next gen though.

Pidull

Witcher 2 Switch? Yes please!

Even though I know they will port 2077 to next gen, I'm glad they're focusing on the current gen instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom