• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Todd Howard Interview that doesn't rule out future games being on other platforms

Ozrimandias

Do you honestly think Microsoft are going to pay 7.5bil for Zenimax, then let someone else call the shots?, come on now.

Some people don't understand how big of a deal was buying Zenimax and its studios to even think that Microsoft it's not going to use that to push the sales of Xbox.

I don't know if this is accurate but:

- Microsoft paid more money for Zenimax than Disney for Star Wars
- the revenue that Sony achieved with Playstation this year was around 4 billion, 3 billions less than the deal of Microsoft - Zenimax

Bergoglio

So this new interview with Todd Howard went up this morning and I just find some of the things he says to be interesting. He doesn't rule out anywhere that their games wouldn't be on other platforms. Instead he talks about wanting as many people to play them as possible and that it would be hard to imagine Elder Scrolls 6 only being on Microsoft platforms. What do you think?

Ios, Android, Steam, Gog, Fire TV are not Microsoft platform.

Does anyone honestly believe MS will let the opportunity to say "Elder Scrolls 6, console exclusive", "Starfield, console exclusive", "Doom immortal, console exclusive", slip away from them? This is the same company that was ridiculed for not having exclusives other than Halo, Forza and Gears.

They solved that problem with a single purchase and people think they won't take advantage of this?

Shmunter

Gamepass value is the aim of the game. Likely even timed exclusive.

But rest assured the alacarte sales will continue everywhere, otherwise MS overpaid by about 10B. It doesn’t make sense to devalue a big capital acquisition like this.

Drewpee

Banned

So this new interview with Todd Howard went up this morning and I just find some of the things he says to be interesting. He doesn't rule out anywhere that their games wouldn't be on other platforms. Instead he talks about wanting as many people to play them as possible and that it would be hard to imagine Elder Scrolls 6 only being on Microsoft platforms. What do you think?

What he says doesn't matter nearly as much as it did a few months ago. He likely has a deal that will let him exit the company in a few years anyway.

PaintTinJr

1. It's a logical argument. Why would they spend 7.5 billion if not to make the games exclusive? I'm not surprised the logic blows over your head though.

2. He says it right here;

"In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

Game availability = exclusivity.
You could well be correct, but as a profitable free bit of advertising - like Minecraft - I could easily see them letting the big hitters all stay on everything and be happy that both Microsoft and Xbox brands are shown to the 150million Ps4+Ps5 owners when the games start - and the games still making a profit.

Unlike putting Halo on Playstation where there is a risk of brand damage. With Xbox trailing Playstation so badly in console sales, using those games to promote Xbox and xbox game development pedigree(and Microsoft windows/office/services indirectly) from maintaining a status quo isn't a bad bit of business IMHO.

The Alien

Banned
Yeah...as stated already: Its not his call anymore. Xbox dictates that.

After the 2 games for Sony (Deathloop & GhostWire), I believe only online games like Fallout 76 and ESO will be the only games on Sony consoles.

Its important to realize what platforms they are talking about. Mobile (XCloud), PC, and consoles. When they say consoles, they mean the XBox consoles (X1X, X1S XSX, XSS).

Phil even mentioned GamePass. If Sony and Nintendo want these games, they can out GamePass on their consoles. Not gonna happen.

FrankWza

Hypothetical question. If Sony had bought Zenimax, do you think they would put the games on Xbox and PC?

100+ million consoles out in the wild with another 100 million+ coming in. That reach is what makes the question a bad comparison.
People are dreaming to believe that ZeniMax and Bethesda games will appear on anything other than Microsoft platforms.

Deathloop: a consolers dream is coming PS5 2021 and so is
Ghostwire:dreams are wishes

KRYPT83

1. It's not his call
2. The deal is being finalized he can't say otherwise
3. Use commonsense the big I.P.s will be xbox ecosystem exclusive period

Mr Hyde

are you sure about that

Of course I can't be 100 % sure, everything can happen, but I'd say it's pretty safe to say that Microsoft will not let IPs from Zenimax or Bethesda go to other consoles. If they come to Playstation, I see it as a nice bonus. If they don't, well, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

FrankWza

Of course I can't be 100 % sure, everything can happen, but I'd say it's pretty safe to say that Microsoft will not let IPs from Zenimax or Bethesda go to other consoles. If they come to Playstation, I see it as a nice bonus. If they don't, well, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

I am. I’m 100% sure.

LordOfChaos

I'll be mildly annoyed if I can't get TES6 on PS5, but it doesn't change the overall equation for me, I'll again just play it on PC like most every Xbox title I'm interested in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cross Play put pressure on everyone, for example Call of Duty is on the same page between 3 platforms (PC, Xbox, and Playstation) how do you get future games on the same page, same platforms? Crossplay.

Tschumi

If their games were on Sony

They would make like 5x as many sales

At least that's what that thread about the survey implies.

In a sense a situation might arise wherein they're counting on sales of Xbox studio produced games (like Bethesda) on their rival console ahead of their own~

Eternal21

We can only go by past decisions. Minecraft says all Bethesda junk will end up on PS5. You just can't ignore a platform that dwarfs your userbase.

100+ million consoles out in the wild with another 100 million+ coming in. That reach is what makes the question a bad comparison.
PS5 has now zero consoles. Next-gen games - including TES won't come to PS4 anyway. 100 million over 5-7 years doesn't mean anything at all.

Yeah, Sony was quite fast there and even tried the same trick with Starfield.
The whole Sony existence - in the 90s - was defined by buying publishers and exclusives from one console to another.

Unlike putting Halo on Playstation where there is a risk of brand damage. With Xbox trailing Playstation so badly in console sales, using those games to promote Xbox and xbox game development pedigree(and Microsoft windows/office/services indirectly) from maintaining a status quo isn't a bad bit of business IMHO.
Xbox is not the single platform of Microsoft and TES' main platform has always been PC. Publishing games to PS achieving nothing in promoting Xbox because it will just solidify PS userbase, who will expect games to come to PS. Not coming to PS sways the userbase - it's basically the same thing that Sony has been doing since immemorial (just like other companies) - make more games come to PS, buy exclusivity, etc. And it works, when people associate even Tomb Raider with PS while it was time exclusive to Sega Saturn first ROFL. Console gaming has always been about different games on different platforms. (I find it kinda ironic when people cry that MS is a monopoly, while wanting all the games on PS or even PS-only, basically wanting Sony monopoly).

I fully expect Bethesda's games - not the ones that were bought earlier - not to come to PS.

Why is nobody questioning the next Final Fantasy not coming to Xbox? Yet for some reason Bethesda is obligated to publish games to Playstation. It is not like they put more TES games on PS than SE put Final Fantasy games on Xbox.

Last edited:
The best part about the desperate Sony fans in this thread is, to a man they've all mocked Xbox for having no exclusives pre-September 21st. Now they're here, trying to find some modicum of hope that Microsoft spent $7.5 billion for the attach rate sales.

We can only go by past decisions. Minecraft says all Bethesda junk will end up on PS5. You just can't ignore a platform that dwarfs your userbase.

I'm so glad you brought up Minecraft, as it's actually the final nail in the coffin of this bullshit.

IGN Japan actually brought up Minecraft as an example of MS letting their IPs go to multiplat, and would they do the same for Bethesda, to Jeremy Hinton (head of Xbox Asia) here's what he said

"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

And for good measure, here's another key difference

It seems it is you who has not done their research.

I suppose you expect Obsidian games, and basically every other MS IP to release on PS5 too? We call this delusion.

Question when MS bought Ninja theory did you think the same way?

There were some on here who actually did. The OP doesn't though because he's not a fan of their games like he is Bethesda's. That's important.

What? Deathloop and Ghostwire were very nearly finished and the deals were made before MS acquired them.

Still, you’re lucky that Phil is actually a decent guy and will honour the agreements made with Bethesda and Sony.

that said, with all the platforms I listed, they literally have no need to publish on PlayStation and never will. They haven’t needed to before regardless of bad sales on their Console either so where do you get the idea that they will now suddenly publish games on PS lmao?

Why would the make a 7bn acquisition and not use it to grow and bolster their own platform? Why would they help out Sony?

As I said, wishful thinking. You’ll be buying it on a Microsoft platform or not at all and miss out, your “choice”.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I don’t think we will see major or probably any Bethesda games on the PS5 going forward anytime soon(if they are smart), but I don’t know.....the wording seems kind of indecisive about exclusivity from the higher ups. I know they are closing the deal soon, so I’m assuming they can’t confirm anything until everything is finalized.
OP is still in denial phase. Other platforms are those included via Xcloud ie phone, tablet, laptop fire sticks etc. If you read the entire interview, he even talks about how most of their games have been Xbox exclusive and that there would be very little post acquisition content. He says that for a reason...

I don’t think we will see major or probably any Bethesda games on the PS5 going forward anytime soon(if they are smart), but I don’t know.....the wording seems kind of indecisive about exclusivity from the higher ups. I know they are closing the deal soon, so I’m assuming they can’t confirm anything until everything is finalized.

That's the exact reason; if they came out and said anything about the games and exclusivity as definitive statements, it'd be illegal since backend stuff regarding the deal still need to be done. They've said that should be the case by early 2021, wherein I'd expect much more direct statements regarding plans for Bethesda/Zenimax content.

Having said that, Phil supercedes Todd here and from Phil's words he's basically been hinting as much as possible without breaking any laws, that their intent is to keep Zenimax content to the Xbox ecosystem exclusively.

OP is still in denial phase. Other platforms are those included via Xcloud ie phone, tablet, laptop fire sticks etc. If you read the entire interview, he even talks about how most of their games have been Xbox exclusive and that there would be very little post acquisition content. He says that for a reason...

Certain people just really don't want to accept that it's happened, for various reasons. It's funny because they ask for MS to be more competitive. MS then makes a power move enabling them to be much more competitive, and yet the same people who were "concerned" they wouldn't be able to compete with Sony getting the rumored timed exclusivity deals on big 3P games, are suddenly trying to argue what MS's done is anti-competitive, monopolistic, or that they just have to put those games on PS to recoup the costs (never mind that MS doing that causes them to lose 30% profit, potential console sales AND potential Gamepass subscription sales, too).

It's like they can't make up their mind, but for me it's more clear: a lot of them simply don't want MS to be competitive at all and want the status quo to remain as it is and has been the past generation, so they dress up their concerns to seem authentic, yet then when MS actually does something bold they try spinning it as the worst of things. Now one of the new spins I've seen has been on Era with several people (including Matt) trying to argue that it's leading to mass industry consolidation that will hurt gaming.

...That's funny, because if you look at Sony's track record since the PS1, they've always had a bit of tendency to buy 3P devs and turn them into 1P studios. One of the first they did that with...was Naughty Dog! When this gets pointed out to people, they then shift the goalpost into "but Sony nurtures their talent". The last time I checked, The Coalition, Turn 10, Playground and even Rare (among others) have been nurtured pretty well by MS over the past few years, and a lot of the recent acquisitions (like Ninja Theory) have been naturally expanding over the years while being allowed to work on projects they actually want to work on, and aren't being mandated to do. So that whole argument dies right there.

The whole fearmongering on industry consolidation is a red herring anyway, because it's usually departments with high redundancy (like HR) which are the ones that get cuts, and understandably so. As games keep growing in scope, that means more teams and larger team sizes, so the actual reality is that the vast majority of the talent that shifts with these acquisitions, stay employed. Very few jobs in the creative and programming fields are being cut. And again, a lot of these same people (like Matt), seem to conveniently forget all of the studio closures Sony's done over the years, some of which simply came down to pure profits. I'm told that closing studios down for not being profitable is corporate greed, does that mean companies like Sony are guilty of this too?

I'm being facetious, but it just goes to show how bad the arguments are getting now in trying to frame MS's acquisitions as a bad thing or being a death knell for the industry, a monopoly or whatever else people want to throw at it. Also goes to show how poor their logic is in thinking MS are willing to give up 30% profit cuts, potential console AND subscription sales just to get to staunched/borderline extremist PlayStation fans when the vast majority of PlayStation gamers are more willing to either buy an Xbox, buy the game on PC, or get it through Gamepass (console, PC, mobile) if they want, especially since a lot of those options are very cheap points of entry.

I wish these "concerned" gamers were concerned for me back in the '90s when I had to buy multiple game consoles to play the exclusives I wanted. Same thing in the 2000's, too. Very funny how suddenly a lot of the same people who championed Sony for their exclusives this gen and complained about MS on that front (understandably so, in quite a few aspects), now suddenly want MS to...not build exclusives for their own system/ecosystem....and put these games on PlayStation to benefit Sony at the expense of themselves? But didn't these people just finish saying exclusives matter? Why would you want only one of the platform holders to--...OH! I get it now. It was never about legitimately wanting MS to improve in the first place, that was just a farce. They just want them gone but don't want to come out and say it :pie_thinking:

Will say this though; it was refreshing to see a lot of people in that thread on Era call out the concern trolls who were making some of these same arguments after Phil did their recent interview speaking up on the Zenimax deal. It's nice to see more people looking at this from a logical POV that actually makes sense, and dissenting to the increasingly bad faith arguments while keeping it civil and respectful. Over time I expect the fearmongering to die out but that is likely still a ways off.

Last edited:

FrankWza

As I said, wishful thinking. You’ll be buying it on a Microsoft platform or not at all and miss out, your “choice”.

no need. I’ll be playing 2 aaa exclusives courtesy of Msoft and phil at least 2 years before anyone on an x console. I just want shinji game. I don’t play elderskyfall games.

Gavon West

It could be seen as that but they haven't said that have they. It could also be seen as coming to PS5. Until someone says otherwise the possibility is there.
There isnt..

I can tell already, right now, some people on this forum are going to be put on suicide watch or something when the deal is finished. This denial thing is a trip!

Compsiox

Banned
Sure, but why would they backtrack on their statement that Bethesda would operate semi-autonomously?

Yeah it was said that they would still publish their own games. This made me wonder if there was a possibility. It could just be for the name. Everyone knows Bethesda. I guess we'll find out next year.

Gavon West

Not a single thing you posted confirms that they will ONLY be on Microsoft devices. The "what microsoft owns, sony cannot get" quote was in reference to Sony buying exclusivity for games. It didn't mean that those games won't be on PS5. What an idiot.
No. It was stated in reference on exclusivity to the Xbox platform after the acquisition. Holy shit dude...

Alebrije

Wonder if Todd will continue working by 2021-22 at Bethesda.

As a PS5 user do not care if Fallout 5 or next Elders Scrolls are Xbox exclusives. In fact I find this good since exclusives generates competition and are the key to improvement.

On the other side Xbox users should wait to see what MS does with Bethesda, Fallaout currently is crap after 4 and 76. Elders Scrolls has not changed ,Doom is doing fine but is not a console seller. Meanwhile Halo Infinite is falling down every month.

MS has not an easy road they need to work the next 2-4 years to deliver solid IP as exclusives that can compete againts the vast great exclusives of Sony.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Xbox is not the single platform of Microsoft and TES' main platform has always been PC. Publishing games to PS achieving nothing in promoting Xbox because it will just solidify PS userbase, who will expect games to come to PS. Not coming to PS sways the userbase - it's basically the same thing that Sony has been doing since immemorial (just like other companies) - make more games come to PS, buy exclusivity, etc. And it works, when people associate even Tomb Raider with PS while it was time exclusive to Sega Saturn first ROFL. Console gaming has always been about different games on different platforms. (I find it kinda ironic when people cry that MS is a monopoly, while wanting all the games on PS or even PS-only, basically wanting Sony monopoly).

I fully expect Bethesda's games - not the ones that were bought earlier - not to come to PS.

Why is nobody questioning the next Final Fantasy not coming to Xbox? Yet for some reason Bethesda is obligated to publish games to Playstation. It is not like they put more TES games on PS than SE put Final Fantasy games on Xbox.
When you say main platform, do you have any numbers on sales and profitability to show the PC is the main platform?
We already have a similar situation when Microsoft (not Xbox) bought Minecraft, and then continued to sell it on all systems.
Xbox is arguable a channel, rather than a platform, given that gamepass and xcloud are their focus and they've openly said they aren't measuring their success on consoles sold. In that context they promote their channel less by taking it off of the most prominent platform in gaming - ie the one that gets millions of eyeballs for a logo reveal, teardown and anything else they drip feed.

They can do it if they want, but they will devalue their acquisition immediately by much more than they raise the value of xbox in that period, and probably by double the amount over the long term IMHO. Businesswise from how they've played the game for 20years it doesn't make sense at this point in time. Will be interesting if they do, but there's every chance other publishers and Sony will just start flooding those game types on PS5 to fill the void if that's what they do IMO.

Last edited:

Gavon West

^This. You can't tell forum fanboys nothing though. Common sense will tell you that it could go either way right now. There are arguments to be made for making the games exclusive and for not making them exclusive.
How on Earth anyonr believes this could go either way is puzzling AF. You dont pay $7.5 billion dollars so things can go either way. You dont allow your first party publisher to continue to advance your competition and help them to bolster their already massive marketshare.

Microsoft are looking to bring people into THEIR ecosystem, that means winning over current Sony and Nintendo fans, as well as casual mobile gamers. You absolutely cannot do that if your games are still on the competing platforms. You're wasting that multi billion dollar investment to bolster your own portfolio.

What you guys are suggesting is that Microsoft is suddenly going to become a 3rd party publisher so Sony fans dont get in their feelings about Bethesda games not being on their console.

Thats not only ridiculous, its funny. Not in a good way... $7.5 billion ain't "either way", broski. That's "one way" money.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I still see many are still in the denial and bargaining stages of grief. You all said for Microsoft to "git good" when Sony locked up those timed exclusive deals Phil just listened.
v9QDBG5.gif

When you say main platform, do you have any numbers on sales and profitability to show the PC is the main platform?
I am not sure about the profitability or number of sold copies - nobody knows with all those editions in 2020 + piracy - but PC has one of the most dedicated TES communities who are still playing Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. After all, Bethesda's games are designed to be completed by the community on PC. On consoles, TES or FO franchises come and go. One of the reasons for TES game popularity is basically the PC community. Only Skyrim blew up in the proportions across all the platforms - true phenomenon.

We already have a similar situation when Microsoft (not Xbox) bought Minecraft, and then continued to sell it on all systems.
Minecraft is a completely different thing - it is a family-friendly media platform. (it might have its own cartoon for example or toys). It is not even the game - it started as a game but then turned into a media franchise. TES or Fallout are relatively niche games in comparison to that. Fallout is not even a revered franchise anymore after all those failures from FO4 to FO76.

It is foolish to even bring it here - though I wonder who was that genius who realized the value of Minecraft as a media platform.

Xbox is arguable a channel, rather than a platform, given that gamepass and xcloud are their focus and they've openly said they aren't measuring their success on consoles sold. In that context they promote their channel less by taking it off of the most prominent platform in gaming - ie the one that gets millions of eyeballs for a logo reveal, teardown and anything else they drip feed.
As a part of the game pass - it may come to PS. But as a pure port - no, I am sure of it. At best it will come Control to Switch - via cloud gaming. In fact, a lot of people tried Control on Switched and found out that it works actually quite well. No issues with latency etc.

We are arguing whether TES will come as a disk game or as a port. It won't. It doesn't make sense because it will make people buy PS5 to play it, which indirectly helps Sony. Also, they don't need to spend time and money on porting the game. The goal of MS is not to help the hardware providers but to bring more people to GamePass. I never dismissed the possibility of TES coming to PS5 as a part of GamePass. But as a full disk/digital game - no, hard no. They will see the logos - lol - when they start the GamePass app.

They can do it if they want, but they will devalue their acquisition immediately by much more than they raise the value of xbox in that period, and probably by double the amount over the long term IMHO. Businesswise from how they've played the game for 20years it doesn't make sense at this point in time. Will be interesting if they do, but there's every chance other publishers and Sony will just start flooding those game types on PS5 to fill the void if that's what they do IMO.
For the last 20 years, MS did not even take gaming seriously and considered it - in a sense - a hobby. We have never seen MS seriously paying attention to PC, Xbox, and gaming at all. In fact, until recently, the Xbox division was not even in sight of the higher-ups.

But the turn to GamePass changed it. MS bought Bethesda for a simple purpose - produce content for GamePass. Issues that Netflix experienced showed that you need the raw content and time exclusives do not work there - you need to constantly push the content to the platform because third-party content can be easily pulled out from the platform. Unfortunately, MS has a bad reputation in gaming due to the last couple of years, so it will have to produce a lot of quality games to bring the gamers back.

I say again - nobody questions when FF games don't come to Xbox while MS for some reason should publish them to PS, nobody cares that FF devalues itself or whatever -because PS sold the more consoles, which they achieved by having exclusive games, time exclusives etc.

Concern about getting back their money turns hilarious considering that MS revenue and stash is bigger than the several acquisitions. Hell, they even bought Nokia and wasted it. MS will be fine. But at the same time, some people believe that Sony can just go and have a similar purchase - weird that nobody concerned about Sony's finances in that case, who is much more at risk in that case.

I envision MS buying Valve eventually though. It makes too much sense.

Todd Howard is right. You can play Bethesda games on Smart TVs via Xcloud.
They will have to turn off their console to do that though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Danny 117

The only way I could see MS allowing the games to come to PS5 is if Sony allowed their users to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass in order to play them... so never gonna happen.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I honestly cannot see ES6 being an Xbox exclusive. They need to make back their investment and the best way to do that is to sell it to as many people as possible.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The interviewer is the one who prompts the "hard to imagine" thing and he just says "I agree" and smiles.

Silly to read into that.

Forsythia

I honestly cannot see ES6 being an Xbox exclusive. They need to make back their investment and the best way to do that is to sell it to as many people as possible.

And Phil has already answered that question. MS does not need Sony to recoup the costs.

Why the fuck would MS pay so much money just to release the games on PlayStation. They want people to subscribe to Game Pass, that's the whole end goal. It's baffling people don't realise this when the interviews make that damn clear.

FrankWza

PS5 has now zero consoles. Next-gen games - including TES won't come to PS4 anyway.

this is accurate. By the time elderskyfalls come out there won’t be games made for PS4 anymore as Sony is probably going to stop supporting it by 2023. But by that time there will be over 100 million PS5s available.
100 million over 5-7 years doesn't mean anything at all.

hmmm. Some would say selling 100 mil over 7 years is phenomenal. But then again, every console sells 100 million or more units, right? Because if you’re a console manufacturer and haven’t, well, it may be time to get out of the console making business. ;)

Jadsey

It's pretty clear that all these games are coming to PS5.

Problem for me is that their games are already janky, and that's not going to improve given they are now on Game Pass. Why make an effort when your player base (inexplicably) feels like they are getting free games?

So far, Game Pass has largely been a breeding ground for mediocrity, and I honestly don't see that changing with Phil at the helm.

Top Bottom