• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Todd Howard Interview that doesn't rule out future games being on other platforms

So you're just ignoring Phil saying game exclusivity is an important part of the acquisition? Ok.

Reminder;

"What an idiot"

So now you're using the opinion of someone at IGN as a fact? Grasping at straws still. Phil Spencer just said last week or so that he can't say anything regarding these games being exclusive because the deal hasn't even gone through. So tell me again how he already confirmed it. Do your research.

So now you're using the opinion of someone at IGN as a fact? Grasping at straws still. Phil Spencer just said last week or so that he can't say anything regarding these games being exclusive because the deal hasn't even gone through. So tell me again how he already confirmed it. Do your research.

1. It's a logical argument. Why would they spend 7.5 billion if not to make the games exclusive? I'm not surprised the logic blows over your head though.

2. He says it right here;

"In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

Game availability = exclusivity.

Do you honestly think Microsoft are going to pay 7.5bil for Zenimax, then let someone else call the shots?, come on now.

Plenty of corporate purchases end up with the purchased company being left pretty much free to independently make the choices they want to.

It really depends on how Microsoft want to treat this. Are they taking control of Bethesda or are they just buying them and allowing them to do their own thing still? In reality I expect it will be a mixture of both. What that means for games coming to other platforms - who knows. I wouldn't bed on the next Fallout coming out on PS5 - but also I probs wouldn't bet against it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Plenty of corporate purchases end up with the purchased company being left pretty much free to independently make the choices they want to.
It really depends on how Microsoft want to treat this. Are they taking control of Bethesda or are they just buying them and allowing them to do their own thing still? In reality I expect it will be a mixture of both. What that means for games coming to other platforms - who knows.
The fact that Phil has already said that he's not going to get involved too much, and let them operate as they are, shows in itself that Phil has the power.
Phil really needs to come out and clarify all this once and for all because these desperation threads are starting to get tiresome.

1. It's a logical argument. Why would they spend 7.5 billion if not to make the games exclusive? I'm not surprised the logic blows over your head though.

2. He says it right here;

"In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

Game availability = exclusivity.
Right if he said it that's why the question keeps getting brought up to him right? That's why he said he can't talk about it right? You have zero idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you forgot that they also paid a LOT of money for Minecraft. They could've made it exclusive. It's one of the biggest games in the world and it would force people to their ecosystem. They didn't. Not only that but they continue to release everything Minecraft on other platforms such as Dungeons, Story Mode, heck even PSVR Minecraft. I'm sure some Bethesda games will be exclusive but I won't believe Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, will be included until they say it, which again they haven't.

Right if he said it that's why the question keeps getting brought up to him right? That's why he said he can't talk about it right? You have zero idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you forgot that they also paid a LOT of money for Minecraft. They could've made it exclusive. It's one of the biggest games in the world and it would force people to their ecosystem. They didn't. Not only that but they continue to release everything Minecraft on other platforms such as Dungeons, Story Mode, heck even PSVR Minecraft. I'm sure some Bethesda games will be exclusive but I won't believe Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, will be included until they say it, which again they haven't.

I'm so glad you brought up Minecraft, as it's actually the final nail in the coffin of this bullshit.

IGN Japan actually brought up Minecraft as an example of MS letting their IPs go to multiplat, and would they do the same for Bethesda, to Jeremy Hinton (head of Xbox Asia) here's what he said

"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

And for good measure, here's another key difference

It seems it is you who has not done their research.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this is being discussed again. It's obvious from all the statements majority of the games are going to be exclusive.

The Only reason why they havnt flat out said it is because it would be illegal for them to do so, as they havnt been officially accuired. You can bet that the day it goes through everything will be announced as exclusives.

Even so, they've still casually hinted at what their plans are in terms of exclusivity to xbox and gamepass, but as I said, they can't flat out say it because they arnt allowed. Accuiring big companies are regulated.

Finally, as someone has posted, if MS wanted to add value to gamepass it would have been a much cheaper to pay to put it on there.

I'm so glad you brought up Minecraft, as it's actually the final nail in the coffin of this bullshit.

IGN Japan actually brought up Minecraft as an example of MS letting their IPs go to PlayStation, and would they do the same for Bethesda, to Jeremy Hinton (head of Xbox Asia) here's what he said

"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

It seems it is you who has not done their research.

No I've seen all that and again you're using stuff from random people on the internet to try and make an argument. Phil said he can't talk about it because they don't own the company yet. Todd could talk about it but he isn't and is dancing around the questions. Until they say no one really knows for sure.

Saving this quite for the inevitability of ES6 and fallout exclusivity.

ToadMan

It's not surprising is it?

MS is in the business of growing - you can't grow by selling the same stuff to the same people.

They need to find new markets and companies like Zeni give them a Trojan horse to the most important gaming hardware like PS and Nintendo, iOS and Android.

It seems like a lot of people think MS is full of console warriors - its not, its full of people who have a lot of experience leveraging tech to make money.

They know you do that by appealing to as many people as possible, not arbitrarily cutting people off who are prepared to pay.

Last edited:
It's not surprising is it?

MS is in the business of growing - you can't grow by selling the same stuff to the same people.

They need to find new markets and companies like Zeni give them a Trojan horse to the most important gaming hardware like PS and Nintendo, iOS and Android.

It seems like a lot of people think MS is full of console warriors - its not, its full of people who have a lot of experience leveraging tech to make money.

They know you do that by appealing to as many people as possible, not arbitrarily cutting people off who are prepared to pay.
^This. You can't tell forum fanboys nothing though. Common sense will tell you that it could go either way right now. There are arguments to be made for making the games exclusive and for not making them exclusive.

Please do but keep in mind it better be full exclusive. Because I very much believe they could release on Xbox and come to PS5 a year or two later.
Yeah, the games should stay exclusive - just like Netflix shows don't come to other platforms. Being fully exclusive allows to bring more people, because if it is only timed - it won't sway people that much and won't make people buy your goods - after all not everybody even knows when the games are released.

They will be fully exclusive. Unless, of course, if Sony allows GamePass which it won't because various reasons (while for some reason MS is obligated to publish the games to PS LMAO).

P.S. for TES (aside Online) Bethesda published only a single game on PS no? Skyrim. (Oblivion was a port).

Last edited:

Stuart360

^This. You can't tell forum fanboys nothing though. Common sense will tell you that it could go either way right now. There are arguments to be made for making the games exclusive and for not making them exclusive.
Hypothetical question. If Sony had bought Zenimax, do you think they would put the games on Xbox and PC?

vkbest

It's not up to him anymore so what he says doesn't matter.

Mojang forced a clause where MS should support other platforms for years. You don't know how much autonomy they are negotiating for Bethesda

Last edited:
No I've seen all that and again you're using stuff from random people on the internet to try and make an argument. Phil said he can't talk about it because they don't own the company yet. Todd could talk about it but he isn't and is dancing around the questions. Until they say no one really knows for sure.

I wondered why you were so resistant to this, so utterly in denial, then I checked your post history. Full to the bursting of nuggets like this

Yup. Second half of 360 is when it turned into Halo, Gears, and Forza. That's when they lost having me use the Xbox as my primary system. Haven't done it since.

Then it all became clear. It's convenient for you that Xbox has no exclusives over PS5. You want to be able to dunk on Xbox for not having exclusives but perish the thought they acquire some.

It's a difficult time for you, I know. You were resentful about the delay in Yakuza getting a PS5 next gen patch, calling Phil Spencer a liar and demon. Then your whole world fell apart on September 21st, as news of MS having spent 7.5bn to acquire Zenimax came in.

Case by Case basis Phil "liar and demon" Spencer said. But how? How could they do this? It's Xbox who isn't supposed to have AAA exclusives. It's not fair.

Just remember, young warrior, Craig is always watching over you

craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

martino

Except he very clearly says in the interview that they will still be publishing their games and working the way they have been. You also don't know what was talked about between Todd and Phil regarding buying them. Todd could've said that they'll agree but if they want to put games other places they still can.
that what Phill more or less said in the previous interview
the deal is not sealed for now and detail of it can play a role.
This will only be clear when or if it's done.

ToadMan

Minecraft is the name of a game product. The studio that makes the product is Mojang - and Mojang are part of Xbox Game Studios.... the same way as Bethesda will be.

Xbox is just the brand name MS gives to its gaming content - it doesn't refer to xbox hardware specifically any more.

f2l9wvi0pio51.jpg

I wondered why you were so resistant to this, so utterly in denial, then I checked your post history. Full to the bursting of nuggets like this

Then it all became clear. It's convenient for you that Xbox has no exclusives over PS5. You want to be able to dunk on Xbox for not having exclusives but perish the thought they acquire some.

It's a difficult time for you, I know. You were resentful about the delay in Yakuza getting a PS5 next gen patch, calling Phil Spencer a liar and demon. Then your whole world fell apart on September 21st, as news of MS having spent 7.5bn to acquire Zenimax came in.

Case by Case basis Phil "liar and demon" Spencer said. But how? How could they do this? It's Xbox who isn't supposed to have AAA exclusives. It's not fair.

Just remember, young warrior, Craig is always watching over you

craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif
"My whole world fell apart" man you people on these forums say some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's a well known fact Microsoft's exclusives have been poor this whole last generation but hey I guess try and use that against me somehow? Lol. If these Bethesda games go exclusive guess what? I'll play them on my Series X I'm getting at launch. I just want an actual answer. Not an answer from forum fanboys who are just guessing like everyone else.

Minecraft is the name of a game product. The studio that makes the product is Mojang - and Mojang are part of Xbox Game Studios.... the same way as Bethesda will be.

Xbox is just the brand name MS gives to its gaming content - it doesn't refer to xbox hardware specifically any more.

f2l9wvi0pio51.jpg

Perhaps so, but it's more an addendum to what Jeremy Hinton, head of Xbox Asia, said

Quoting again

It's clear from this that Minecraft being multiplatform is a unique case.

M Mercenary09 seems to think this is "some guy on the internet", but it's the horses mouth.

Greeno

He actually mentions that while associating it with the idea of "accessibility" the Xbox provides. In other words, seems he is discussing services and cloud. Not specific platforms.

mejin

He'll be the new Mattrick.

When the games come to Playstation, MS will use him as a scapegoat and he will be tossed to the toxic community to be linched just like poor Mattrick. Spencer will once again appear as if he has nothing not to do with the shit show to be the hero the toxic community needs.

INC

Guess they'll see how many xbx are sold first, making ES and doom xbx only might sell a few console sure, but if their market share is still behind, from a business PoV, makes no sense to be exclusive.

But who knows

GiJoint

You do realize that by Bethesda agreeing to join Microsoft they likely had things they wanted out of it too right that Microsoft had to agree to? That's how these things work. Microsoft didn't walk in, drop the money, and say "we own you now and you do everything we say."
I see you were at one of the many acquisition meetings.

You go on about people here making assumptions when this entire thread of yours is one big assumption, the fact is Microsoft are about to own these IPs and there has been no announcement by them that they will release these games going forward on PlayStation.

Last edited:
Sure, but why would they backtrack on their statement that Bethesda would operate semi-autonomously?

Being allowed to create whatever games you want as long as they're exclusive to Microsoft platforms is semi autonomous, being allowed to publish wherever you want would be full autonomy.

I've had PS1-4. The people who are telling you they will be exclusive arnt fanboys. They are using common sense. It won't go either way.

What the hell would be the point in buying a company for $7.5 billion to release it on your competitors platform. The answer you will probably give is to get the game for free on gamepass..... Well then why didn't they go the route of EA and just pay bathesda to release the games on gamepass. Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Roufianos

Who wants to make a bet?

Will Starfield come to PS5 the same date as XSX? Losers have to make their avatar a pic of them doing the soy face.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Based on the wording of this interview, and previous interviews about Game Pass, they want it to be played by as many people as possible. That was the original goal of Plex where at first I could only use my computer and a shield, but now I can use it natively on my phone, TV, even game consoles. I really don’t think it will be long before game streaming services are natively available on my TV without a box. The idea of streaming may not be for everyone, but it would make it available for everyone.

Last edited:
People are dreaming to believe that ZeniMax and Bethesda games will appear on anything other than Microsoft platforms.

They have Xbox Series S & X, the hundreds of millions of PC gamers, Android on xCloud and soon hopefully Apple.

The only way I see it happening is Sony & Nintendo allowing Gamepass, which won’t happen. Nintendo seem most likely but Sony, no.

Even if they did release on PS, I wouldn’t be bothered anyway, but I would get a chuckle at the fact that they’ll need to pay full price and help fund Xbox even though they don’t own one 😂

I've had PS1-4. The people who are telling you they will be exclusive arnt fanboys. They are using common sense. It won't go either way.

What the hell would be the point in buying a company for $7.5 billion to release it on your competitors platform. The answer you will probably give is to get the game for free on gamepass..... Well then why didn't they go the route of EA and just pay bathesda to release the games on gamepass. Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Potentially, there's more to the Zeni deal than just games. They have an engine, talent, writers, world builders etc.

For all we know, Zeni could be split in teams; One bolsters 343 for the Halo launch, one bolsters Obsidian with Outer Worlds, Awaken etc and the 'core' team work on ES6 and Fallout.

Why have exclusives OR 3rd party, when you can have both? Microsoft get the money from Sony platforms from 'Multi-plat' games like ES6 and Fallout, while increasing the quality and quantity of their 1st party output?

People are dreaming to believe that ZeniMax and Bethesda games will appear on anything other than Microsoft platforms.

They have Xbox Series S & X, the hundreds of millions of PC gamers, Android on xCloud and soon hopefully Apple.

The only way I see it happening is Sony & Nintendo allowing Gamepass, which won’t happen. Nintendo seem most likely but Sony, no.

Even if they did release on PS, I wouldn’t be bothered anyway, but I would get a chuckle at the fact that they’ll need to pay full price and help fund Xbox even though they don’t own one 😂

Not much of a dream then? More of a possibility?

Last edited:
Potentially, there's more to the Zeni deal than just games. They have an engine, talent, writers, world builders etc.

For all we know, Zeni could be split in teams; One bolsters 343 for the Halo launch, one bolsters Obsidian with Outer Worlds, Awaken etc and the 'core' team work on ES6 and Fallout.

Why have exclusives OR 3rd party, when you can have both? Microsoft get the money from Sony platforms from 'Multi-plat' games like ES6 and Fallout, while increasing the quality and quantity of their 1st party output?

Not much of a dream then? More of a possibility?

There is always the possibility, but very, very unlikely to happen without Xbox having the upper hand on whatever platform they release on.

So people are as well dreaming because Sony won’t want to be seen to be bending the knee to Xbox.

Njocky

Banned
Unless their agreement still let Todd have the power to make those decisions. Do you have all their paperwork? Didn't think so.
Would you spend 7 billions to watch someone make decisions? You can buy 4 premium NBA teams for that money. I don't think people realise what they are saying when they say they expect nothing to change about how Bethesda has been conducting business. It's like Steve Ballmer buying the Clippers and telling the GM don't ask me anything, you keep running the team, I'll watch on tv what happened.

On the other side, I suspect Bethesda is actually happy not to have to bother with multiple platforms anymore. The devs can entirely focus on Xbox and PC and hopefully make better games because of that.

pasterpl

Ffs, thread number 1xxx trying to show that the next elder scrolls game and starfield will come to playstation, reality is that these most likely will be Xbox console exclusives (I can see these being published on the next Nintendo console as well), but nothing will be announced until the deal is finalised, so probably next year e3 we will see Xbox exclusive badges on these, not earlier

First, he's not the owner of Bethesda. He's a game director, he doesn't call the shots. That's like suggesting Kojima had any say at Konami.

Phill does calm the shots though and he already said these games are going to be xbox and game pass exclusive.

Really hard times for some people. They still can't decide between "All Zenimax games are utter crap, i didn't want to play them anyways" and "Lol, Microsoft has no exclusives. Looking forward to play all the great Zenimax games on my PS5".
It might be a rude awakening indeed for some people. We'll see.

Why the fuck would Todd try to piss off the company thats paying him close to 100 million? Come on now.

The current play seems to be the following: shut up until the deal is final. Thats why they haven't announced any new games. Starfield has no platforms. ES6 has no platforms. Why do you think they emphasised that they will honor existing agreements?

Zenimax currently has no stake in anything PS related. They get a 7.5B buyout. What the fuck does Robert Altman and the rest of the board care if Sony gets their games?

If MS backs out or something goes wrong, they can still announce PS versions later. For now, MS calls the shots.

Rikkori

I don't get it, why are people so in denial about this? Look on the bright sde, you can always sub to gamepass and stream these games without needing to buy an xbox. MS exclusivity isn't that restrictive so you won't miss out on it.

Top Bottom