• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Todd Howard Interview that doesn't rule out future games being on other platforms

So this new interview with Todd Howard went up this morning and I just find some of the things he says to be interesting. He doesn't rule out anywhere that their games wouldn't be on other platforms. Instead he talks about wanting as many people to play them as possible and that it would be hard to imagine Elder Scrolls 6 only being on Microsoft platforms. What do you think?

shubik

Indeed very interesting. A couple of vague statements once again. I mean I get it that they can´t talk about details because the deal is not done yet. But still... the way he and Phil phrased certain things makes me think that we will definately see further bethesda titles on PS consoles.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I skimmed through it but I didn't see anything regarding "it would be hard to imagine Elder Scrolls 6 only being on Microsoft platforms". Am I blind?

Stevie Wonder sees better than me :lollipop_crying:

Last edited:
It doesn't mean that the games will come to PS. Other platforms != PS. Why people just can't let it go? Xbox doesn't have exclusives because you can play the games on PC, so they can do just that.

Anyway, Xbox needs more Japanese games. Sadly it is not popular in Japan at all so aside multi platforms there as usual will hardly any of them.

Last edited:
I think you should just let this one go and either enjoy other games, or buy an Xbox. No future games from the Zenimax acquisition will come to other consoles, it's Microsoft's IPs now.
I have an Xbox along with all other platforms. Until I hear someone from either Xbox or Bethesda say otherwise I don't believe these games will be exclusives forever.

TBiddy

I skimmed through it but I didn't see anything regarding "it would be hard to imagine Elder Scrolls 6 only being on Microsoft platforms". Am I blind?

Ultimately it's hard to imagine that, despite the power Microsoft now has over Bethesda, it could restrict The Elder Scrolls 6, for example, to its own platforms -- especially given the running joke that its forebear Skyrim is available on every device imaginable, including Alexa.

"I would agree that is hard to imagine," Howard smiles, but offers no more on the matter.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It´s at the end of the article
It's at the end.
Ultimately it's hard to imagine that, despite the power Microsoft now has over Bethesda, it could restrict The Elder Scrolls 6, for example, to its own platforms -- especially given the running joke that its forebear Skyrim is available on every device imaginable, including Alexa.

"I would agree that is hard to imagine," Howard smiles, but offers no more on the matter.
I am going blind 😭

Thought that article had ended earlier than it actually did

Last edited:
Yea that sounds really likely. Hey Todd here's 7.5bil and you still get to call the shots. People really grasping at any straw they can.
Says the person making assumptions when they have nothing to base it on. You're grasping at just as many straws thinking it's a sure thing that they are only on Microsoft devices.

Orta

Banned
not-this-shit-46e6aab759.jpg

Just buy a series S you lot ffs.

Mister Wolf

Pretty sure MS said they will let Bethesda/Zenimax operate as they always have in a semi-independent manner, so I imagine he has some say in the matter

The deal is still being negotiated as well

The only people making final decisions are Phil Spencer the head of Xbox and his boss Satya Nadella the head of Microsoft. Foolish to think otherwise.

Last edited:

Starfield

Ofc it doesn't rule it out but....so listen, Todd Howard isn't the one who can decide that. He never was. He is the head of Bethesda Game Studios, but they answer to Zenimax and by the end of Q1 2021 Zenimax will answer to Microsoft and if Phil Spencer said we need 16 times the exclusives so it will be.

I wouldn't be shocked if big franchises like TES or Fallout stay multiplat but don't act surprised if they become exclusive to Xbox/PC

The only people making final decisions are Phil Spencer the head of Xbox and his boss Satya Nadella the head of Microsoft. Foolish to think otherwise.
You do realize that by Bethesda agreeing to join Microsoft they likely had things they wanted out of it too right that Microsoft had to agree to? That's how these things work. Microsoft didn't walk in, drop the money, and say "we own you now and you do everything we say."

Last edited:
Uh no it hasn't lmao. That's exactly why this interview is still bringing up those points.

Yes it has.

Here's Phil Spencer when asked if these IPs would be exclusive

"In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

And here's the founder of Bethesda when asked if these IPs would be exclusive

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

The good news is, you're now at the bargaining phase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait then. Just as I'll be waiting for them to say Elder Scrolls 6 will never be on PS5. I bet you I'll be waiting a LONG time for that one.
Lmao you can't even answer the question because you know there no studio in the world that had this much power over the people that own them.

As many people as possible is via XCloud. On your console, PC, TV, phone, iPad, etc. Not native PS5 ports.
It could be seen as that but they haven't said that have they. It could also be seen as coming to PS5. Until someone says otherwise the possibility is there.

Mister Wolf

Except he very clearly says in the interview that they will still be publishing their games and working the way they have been. You also don't know what was talked about between Todd and Phil regarding buying them. Todd could've said that they'll agree but if they want to put games other places they still can.
You're talking as if Todd Howard is apart of the ownership of Bethesda and has any authority in the decision to sell the company. He is an employee.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Sure, but why would they backtrack on their statement that Bethesda would operate semi-autonomously?

Yes it has.

Here's Phil Spencer when asked if these IPs would be exclusive

"In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

And here's the founder of Bethesda when asked if these IPs would be exclusive

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

The good news is, you're now at the bargaining phase.
Not a single thing you posted confirms that they will ONLY be on Microsoft devices. The "what microsoft owns, sony cannot get" quote was in reference to Sony buying exclusivity for games. It didn't mean that those games won't be on PS5. What an idiot.

Not a single thing you posted confirms that they will ONLY be on Microsoft devices. The "what microsoft owns, sony cannot get" quote was in reference to Sony buying exclusivity for games. It didn't mean that those games won't be on PS5. What an idiot.

So you're just ignoring Phil saying game exclusivity is an important part of the acquisition? Ok.

Reminder;

"What an idiot"

Pretty sure MS said they will let Bethesda/Zenimax operate as they always have in a semi-independent manner, so I imagine he has some say in the matter

The deal is still being negotiated as well

Yes, In the context of giving them creative freedom to make the games they want and how they want. NOT to release on any platform they want. That will be MS decision when the deal goes through.

Bathesda hasn't been accuired by MS yet so they are still operating as they normally would. I imagine when the deal goes through they will say to bathesda - "carry on as your doing but cancel work on all platforms that isn't Ms/windows/xbox

Last edited:

reksveks

Sony basically has ~6 months to try and get Bethesda to sign a contract to ensure that they release games on the PS5, after that point, there is nothing that they can do.

Top Bottom