• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intellivision has announced more details on the Amico’s launch titles

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Amico will come with six game pre-installed, of which have have now been confirmed. The games are:
  • Intellivision Skiing (sports game)
  • Cornhole (sports game)
  • Farkle (dice game)
  • Astrosmash (shoot ’em up)
  • Shark! Shark! (action game)
  • A yet to be announced party game
The console will also have a built in digital store called the Amico Game Shop, which will include more than 20 additional games on day one. The price of these games will start at €5.99.

Intellivision has also confirmed that eight of the launch titles will also get physical ‘special editions’ for €17.99, which will be sold “in traditional stores”. According to the company, more details on what these physical versions include will be announced in the coming months. The launch games getting physical versions are:
  • Evel Knievel
  • Biplanes
  • Moon Patrol
  • Missile Command
  • Rigid Force Redux Enhanced
  • Finnigan Fox
  • Dynablaster
  • Brain Duel

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned

The Amico will come with six game pre-installed, of which have have now been confirmed. The games are:
  • Intellivision Skiing (sports game)
  • Cornhole (sports game)
  • Farkle (dice game)
  • Astrosmash (shoot ’em up)
  • Shark! Shark! (action game)
  • A yet to be announced party game
The console will also have a built in digital store called the Amico Game Shop, which will include more than 20 additional games on day one. The price of these games will start at €5.99.

Intellivision has also confirmed that eight of the launch titles will also get physical ‘special editions’ for €17.99, which will be sold “in traditional stores”. According to the company, more details on what these physical versions include will be announced in the coming months. The launch games getting physical versions are:
  • Evel Knievel
  • Biplanes
  • Moon Patrol
  • Missile Command
  • Rigid Force Redux Enhanced
  • Finnigan Fox
  • Dynablaster
  • Brain Duel
Cool. Interested to see the physical stuff but my expectations are really low seeing the rest of the art direction around this console and games.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
As someone who played the hell out of the old Intellivision when I was a kid, this must be a serious competitor for the least interesting console ever, with the least interesting games ever.

It isn't even good enough for nostalgia :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Sidesalad

These guys are going to have an uphill battle. I can't imagine it selling more than a few million units. $250 for some nifty controllers just to play phone quality games...

carlosrox

Banned
This whole thing reminds me of the first bullshit 35 seconds of this trailer.

"If you hooked up an Intellivision now I'd be down to play"

"What if we told you after 40 years of tech innovation a new Intellivision was coming out?"

Last edited:

Agent X

These guys are going to have an uphill battle. I can't imagine it selling more than a few million units. $250 for some nifty controllers just to play phone quality games...

The $250 price tag is the big obstacle, as far as I'm concerned. I do understand what type of market they're trying to serve, but they really should have aimed at $150 or less.

There was another recent article on the same site, which I think is worth reading:

This is an interview with Tommy Tallarico of Intellivision Entertainment. It's a good read, since it delves into the company's motivation for making the system. He has a lot to say about the competition (positive and negative).

One thing that really struck me in this interview is how many times Mr. Tallarico recalls the Nintendo Wii and its wide appeal to casual gamers. He clearly has a fondness for the Wii, and feels that the Switch isn't properly filling the Wii's role. He is obviously trying to position the Amico as the "new Wii". Here's a quote from that aricle:

Tommy Tallarico said:
“Our target audience are moms, and families, and seniors, and casuals, and hyper-casuals and even non-gamers, similar to that big audience that propelled the Wii. Those are the folks we’re going for, we’re going for the 3.1 billion people that play mobile games every day, not the 200 million people that are considered ‘hardcore gamers’.

I wish Mr. Tallarico luck, but this is an uphill battle--which he acknowledges. As cool as the Wii was, I don't think he needs to copy every aspect of that system. I mean, the Wii also launched at $250, but it had significantly more going for it at the outset.

On that note, I still think he should've initially relaunched the Intellivision name as a publishing brand to produce similarly-styled games for existing platforms. By doing this, they could establish their name and reputation, before attempting to create their own distinct console with a focus on those types of games. In the article, he also states that the Amico might make a great "second console" for hardcore gamers, as a companion to their primary console, again pointing to how the Wii often served in that role. The hard part will be convincing the mass market why the Amico ought to be that system, and not a Switch or even some smart TV streaming service.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Wait. You expect them to sell over a million units? That's generous.

One thing that really struck me in this interview is how many times Mr. Tallarico recalls the Nintendo Wii and its wide appeal to casual gamers. He clearly has a fondness for the Wii, and feels that the Switch isn't properly filling the Wii's role. He is obviously trying to position the Amico as the "new Wii". Here's a quote from that aricle:

The Wii had an unreachable advantage that this "revival" does not have. It was a Nintendo console.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could make such a comparison. I guess there's *some* value in massively overselling one's product by comparing it with something extremely successful even if that comparison is completely unfitting, but come on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom