• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Xe HPG Graphics Card Could Compete with Big Navi & Ampere

LordOfChaos

Jt8G6z4QLeMEjigb.jpg

Intel started shipping their first Xe DG1 graphics card to OEMs earlier this year which features 4 GB of LPDDR4X and 80 execution units. While these initial cards aren't high performance and only compete with entry-level products like the NVIDIA MX350 they demonstrated Intel's ability to produce a discrete GPU. We have recently received some more potential performance information about Intel's next card the DG2 from chief GPU architect, Raja Koduri. Koduri posted an image of him with the team at Intel's Folsom lab working on the Intel Iris Pro 5200 iGPU back in 2012 and noted that now 9 years later their new GPU is over 20 times faster. The Intel Iris Pro 5200 scores 1015 on Videocard Benchmarks and ~1,400 points on 3DMark Fire Strike, if we assume these scores will be 20x more we get values of ~20,300 in Videocard Benchmarks and 28,000 points in Fire Strike. While these values don't extrapolate perfectly they provide a good indication of potential performance placing the GPU in the same realm of the NVIDIA RTX 3070 and AMD RX 6800.

mrmeh

I doubt their cards will be in any state to properly compete for a few years. Still nice to see Intel trying.

Trogdor1123

Aren't they making a pretty massive assumption there?

Also, we already have a chip shortage. Is there fab capacity to support this?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have no faith in Raja Kadori. He totally botched it at AMD.

Is it a coincidence that Intel went to shit when he arrived? Probably. But where he goes underdelivery follows.

RaZoR No1

I doubt their cards will be in any state to properly compete for a few years. Still nice to see Intel trying.
Dont forget that they already have iGPU experience for over a decade, on which you can play some games too.

They are not completely new in the GPU business

LordOfChaos

Raja is there.

So you should adjust expectations by dividing it by π

I think this is when we'll see for sure. Supposedly, 2/3rds of Raja's Vega team was taken off it to work on next gen consoles and Navi, and he was pissed off that it looked like he was the one that screwed up, which puts him leaving in a different context.

If Intel is giving him all the resources he wants, we'll see how that turns out.

mrmeh

Dont forget that they already have iGPU experience for over a decade, on which you can play some games too.

They are not completely new in the GPU business

Yeah that's what I was going off... read that the newest Tiger Lake igpu while great in benchmarks had driver issues in games... no one really does deep dives in to that stuff though so difficult to see a big picture.

Boss Mog

Intel can't even compete in CPUs anymore, its core business, so I'll be extremely surprised if they manage to come out with a competitive GPU.

LordOfChaos

Yeah that's what I was going off... read that the newest Tiger Lake igpu while great in benchmarks had driver issues in games... no one really does deep dives in to that stuff though so difficult to see a big picture.

Yeah that's true, on paper it beats Vega IGPs in many benchmarks, but it does have more problems in real games. Hope that's sorted before their dedicated cards.

Neo_game

If they can get somewhere between 3060 and ti will aggressive pricing I think they have got a winner. Midrange to entry level should be the target with decent RT performance.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cool anything to fuck over nvidia’s space is fine by me..

i don’t expect miracles... but let’s hope so

llien

I think this is when we'll see for sure. Supposedly, 2/3rds of Raja's Vega team was taken off it to work on next gen consoles and Navi, and he was pissed off that it looked like he was the one that screwed up, which puts him leaving in a different context.
We'l see soon enough.
(and it's not the first version of the explanations of why so embarrassing that I've heard, note how there was no more "poor Volta" BS, once he was gone)

bbeach123

Problem with GPU nowaday is DLSS no ?
Even with better GPU (doubt) and lower price , without DLSS people would probably still pick Nvidia .

Arkam

Intel trying to enter the discrete video card market again? Last attempt was an abysmal failure. Hopefully this time they have applied lessons learned.

LordOfChaos

Problem with GPU nowaday is DLSS no ?
Even with better GPU (doubt) and lower price , without DLSS people would probably still pick Nvidia .

Seems they're working on it, and by the patents it applies to more of the video rendering stack, like including tessellation

Kumomeme

as long it has good performance, good temperature, good driver support with good price vs performance value then it is good for competition. they no need to immediately trying to fight for high end crown. go for mid range section first also should be good.

Sejan

Intel can't even compete in CPUs anymore, its core business, so I'll be extremely surprised if they manage to come out with a competitive GPU.
This. It feels like Intel can’t figure out it’s primary market so it’s trying to branch out in hopes that something sticks. Maybe it doesn’t take much funding for their CPU team to release the same CPU (with minor adjustments) year after year so they have money to blow on side projects.

Top Bottom