• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel to unveil Xe-HPG gaming architecture with hardware ray-tracing, Tiger Lake uses 'Superfin' archititecture, LPDDR5-5400

LordOfChaos

• mid to enthusiast cards
  • gddr6
  • hardware accelerating ray tracing
  • manufactured at external foundry

Superfin is supposed to lower resistance 30%, comparable to a node generation

They are set to have an architecture day tomorrow, August 13th

Edit: It's true, all of it. Some journo must have leaked the real information from it.

Last edited:

llien

Proper XE source:

P2lXVX3.png

The Xe-HPG will be manufactured by an external foundry. The Xe-HPG GPUs are currently being evaluated at Intel labs. The plan is to ship this architecture in 2021.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

nemiroff

Gold Member
As a tech enthusiast with minimal attachment to brands I'm simply rooting for healthy competition. Nvidia has been dominating the space with insane prices lately, so I for one welcome Intel and a new architecture into the space, and I sincerely hope that they by a miracle will be able to compete.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

As a tech enthusiast with minimal attachment to brands I'm simply rooting for healthy competition. Nvidia has been dominating the space with insane prices lately, so I for one welcome Intel and a new architecture into the space, and I sincerely hope that they by a miracle will be able to compete.

Even if they don't move the top end at launch, I do hope someone starts making progress on the SFF bus powered space, been three years of 1650 ruling that roost.

Hudo

I fully agree. And it's not only good for prices but hopefully also good for another major manufacturer not involved in CUDA. It would be nice if AMD and Intel could push openCL together or force nVidia to make CUDA an open standard. nVidia's closed ecosystem if you develop shit with CUDA is quite a headache if you do crossplatform stuff...

stranno

Intel should make a Quick Sync GPU with AV1, VVC and ECV hardware accelerated encoding. That alone would make A LOT of money.

Last edited:
sounds promising.

looking forward to new standard with computing:

DDR5 Support
USB 4.0 Support
PCIE 5.0 Support
NVME SSD support with high bandwidth
GPUs with Raytracing and 4k
Wifi6
Bluetooth 5.1 Support

Competition is heating up for this multi-chip-module manufacturing revolution. So far, it looks like AMD is leading the way, but Intel has some pretty nifty tricks too (their interconnect density looks really impressive). Unfortunately, their move to outsource manufacturing to TSMC suggests that there have been issues getting their processes up to speed, and this puts them a little behind. I guess Nvidia are going to integrate with ARM, and Apple is doing its own thing. And near linear scaling with these supercomputers on a chip architectures is something to get really excited about.

LordOfChaos

Competition is heating up for this multi-chip-module manufacturing revolution. So far, it looks like AMD is leading the way, but Intel has some pretty nifty tricks too (their interconnect density looks really impressive). Unfortunately, their move to outsource manufacturing to TSMC suggests that there have been issues getting their processes up to speed, and this puts them a little behind. I guess Nvidia are going to integrate with ARM, and Apple is doing its own thing. And near linear scaling with these supercomputers on a chip architectures is something to get really excited about.

Foveros does look awesome (geddit). Hopefully using an external fab is more due to getting production up to speed rather than any performance issues with the fab proper.

Foveros does look awesome (geddit). Hopefully using an external fab is more due to getting production up to speed rather than any performance issues with the fab proper.

It looks like the problems are real:

With its 10nm manufacturing technology, Intel Corp. set goals so ambitious it had to delay high-volume production using this fabrication process, make changes to its roadmap, and even reconsider some aspects of its strategy.

The past few years have been terrible for Intel. Back in 2013, the company's original roadmap was to spend 2014-2015 on the 14nm node and then move to 10nm in 2016-2017, but an endless string of problems and setbacks with 10nm led to the company spending five years on the 14nm node. A shaky transition to 10nm only started in 2019, and the company still doesn't have10nm desktop or server parts. With Intel spinning its wheels, AMD has returned to a second golden age with the Zen architecture and headline-grabbing Threadripper core counts. AMD is even starting to get attention from laptop OEMs.

Intel completely missed out on the smartphone revolution, too, having been unable to come up with an answer for the rise of the ultra-low-power ARM SoC. After its smartphone insurgency, ARM chips quickly moved on Intel's territory by spreading to tablets and laptops. Intel's latest black eye is being completely dumped by Apple, which, after building its own ARM design house for the iPhone and iPad, has announced plans to upscale its ARM chips to Mac laptops and desktops.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

This. However, it more than just competition. Intel’s profits could really soar. The GPU space is where the money is.

Yeah I might be nuts but 9x PE is way too cheap for Intel stock. If their GPU revenue comprises of just FIVE percent of their revenue, that makes up for the whole loss of Apple. And as far as AMD you have to consider scale, AMD can double its server market share year over year, but from Intels scale they're going from 1% to 2%, Intels bigger losses were from their fab capacity issues and then the 7nm delay was the final straw that set the stock reeling back.

You don't spend 13 billion on an army of hundreds of PhDs and not solve some problems along the way, people are very down on Intel but I still think they recover in the next few years.

wait is intel using its own foundries to manufacture 10nm, or are they going to TSMC?

LordOfChaos

wait is intel using its own foundries to manufacture 10nm, or are they going to TSMC?

10nm is an Intel fab. Intel will be using an as of yet unannounced external foundry for their dedicated GPU, which could be TSMC 6nm, 7nm, or Samsung.

Last edited:
Top Bottom